• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

Background
The Dragon is a heavy BattleMech originally designed in a bid to replace the Shadow Hawk. A close assault 'Mech, its versatile design allows it to be used in both offensive and defensive operations. It boasts above-average firepower and plenty of ammunition for extended combat, while a Vlar 300 fusion engine gives it a faster-than-normal top speed. Armor coverage for the Dragon's ten tons is thick around the torso, and especially the rear, for when it is surrounded by opponents, while the squat design gives it a smaller profile and makes it harder to knock over. The lack of any especially heat-intensive devices makes the use of only ten heat sinks a non-issue. The Dragon's only major problem is it requires frequent maintenance and/or overhaul of its hip actuator.

Debuting in the twilight years of the Star League, the Dragon was turned down by the SLDF in favor of an upgraded Shadow Hawk, though it would be quietly picked up by Draconis Combine. With the dissolution of the Star League and the onset of the Succession Wars, the Dragon became the Combine's standard 'Mech. Multiple production lines on many well-defended worlds, including Luthien, meant the design was so prevalent every battalion and almost every company featured the Dragon, with some battalions composed of nothing but these 'Mechs. So many were produced that the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth employed salvaged Dragons in their own arsenals, while many mercenary commands used captured or purchased models. The Free Rasalhague Republic would also adopt the 'Mech following their formation.

Common
60 tons

DRG-1C: 4,745,200 CB / 1,900 MC
The 1C Dragon replaces the Autocannon/5 with a longer range Autocannon/2 and adds three additional tons of armor protection. This allows the Dragon to have an ever further direct fire reach, while reducing the direct fire capability at range by sixty percent.
2x ML, 1x LRM10, 1x AC2 w/ 402 Armour
LA – 2xEnergy
LT – 2xEnergy
CT – 1xMissile
RA – 1xBallistic

DRG-1N: 4,827,559 CB / 1,935 MC
The Dragons primary weapons are an Imperator-A Autocannon/5 and Telos DecaCluster LRM-10 launcher, giving it respectable long-range damage capabilities as it charges forward. Additionally, the use of Long Range Missiles grants the Dragon indirect fire capabilities, while two tons of ammo for each weapon allows it to operate for extended periods away from supply lines. For close combat the Dragon carries two Victory 23R Medium Lasers, one mounted in its torso and another in its left arm.
2x ML, 1x LRM10, 1x AC5 w/ 320 Armour
LA – 1xEnergy
LT – 1xEnergy
CT – 2xMissile
RA – 2xBallistic

DRG-5N: 5,097,559 CB / 2,040 MC
The 5N variant of the Dragon was used as a bridge between it and the Grand Dragon. This field upgrade, which utilizes formerly lost technology, upgrades its normal autocannon to an Ultra Autocannon/5, which is capable of firing at twice the rate of a standard model. However, the torso Medium Laser has been removed from the 'Mech.
1x ML, 1x LRM10, 1x UAC5 w/ 320 Armour
LA – 2xEnergy
CT – 1xMissile
RA – 3xBallistic

RAM
ELH

#2 jtyotJOTJIPAEFVJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

Why does this guide even exist? You're not imparting any information apart from hardpoints, and Ohms guide does it a lot better.

#3 MrBlonde42

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Ohm's and this guide compliment each other. This guide tells you the stock weapons, price in game. ohm's helps you plan Customizations.

#4 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

I've started updating my build document for the dragon chassis as well with the new patch. I focus on the 5N, but feel free to adapt to one of the other builds.

https://docs.google....aEE&output=html

The other mechs are going to be out of date, please ignore them unless / until I comment in that they have been updated.

Off to the right is stock info, you may have to scroll to see. It's a work in progress, may be of interest to some. Let me know if anyone wants to see a change or has any suggestions.

Cheers.

#5 Korlandril

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 110 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

I have a 1N-dragon and have modified it as such

320XL engine 86.5km/h
max armour (standard)
endosteel internal structure
11 standard heatsinks
1 Gauss rifle (3 tons of ammo)
2 small pulse lasers
2 streak srm 2 ( 2 tons of ammo)
AMS (1 ton of ammo+ case)

I decided to nor use double heatsink as the design doesnt make very much heat anyway.
The armour in the torso area's are totally maxed out, though having an XL engine on it hasnt been the handicapp i thought it would have been. The streak missiles are great for tagging light mechs that are firing at you, or when there running away, and having the gauss rifle in the right arm gives it a wide feild of fire, and its great at tracking faster moving targets. I originaly wanted to keep the 2 medium lasers for some firpower, but they overheated me pretty badly, thus using the small pulses. I cant really overheat in this mech and it is awesomely fast for a 60 ton machine. As long as your moving and finding cover, you have a fast mech with a decent long range punch. But its no assault mech, it will come apart pretty quivkly of you head right into the enemy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users