54 replies to this topic

#41 Teirdome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostRyft, on 11 December 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

No such manuals exist, to my knowledge.

I myself am hoping for some data on how damage drops off after the primary effective range has been surpassed... is it a gradual decrease to zero at twice the listed range? is it half damage until twice the listed range? Is the maximum range not twice the listed range, as I was led to believe? Those sorts of questions.

From what I have found, laser damage drops linearly once you exceed the effective range and goes to zero once you reach max range. It produces a graph like this (assuming full beam duration on target):

Posted Image

I'm still trying to determine how to quantify the ranged damage in-relation-to chance to hit, but I'm taking nearly two weeks off for Christmas in a couple days and should have plenty of time to get that together.

#42 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Great guide! Thanks! +Sticky?

Regarding laser dmg past optimal range -- I know that the idea of lasers is supposed to be that way.. but somehow I feel the game has NOT implemented it yet... anyone know for certain?

Edited by MavRCK, 12 December 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#43 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

+Sticky. Definitely

#44 Snowcaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHiding in FRR space after defecting. (UK)

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

I bind Q&/orE for torso laser groups on my 'Phract as i often mount my LL's there.
That way i can fire both, one or stagger.

I totally agree with the ER large being a poor choice but for the snipiest of snipers with heat to spare.
II also find lasers group well with a moderate to strong Ballistic as i can keep DOT and that can often scare a pilot off if you've hurt them and they will know you can at least keep some damage up.

I prefer versatile load outs, but rely heavily on lasers and DHS's
But to neglect the mighty MedLas leaves ruin on the field, imo.
A great guide that i certainly learned from.

#45 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

PPC as an energy weapon, is another alternative/complement to laser boats.
Can you make charts to indicate how PPC fare compared to normal and pulse lasers, taking account of dec18 buffs?

Edited by bantapoo, 18 December 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#46 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

Great write-up. This should be mandatory reading for all new players.

#47 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostRayyner, on 25 November 2012 - 05:25 AM, said:

Excuse for brake language, I am Russian gamer.

Its important not talks , but accuracy information about game-mechanical.

The best you will find for accuracy are Ohmwrecker's and others technical info guides which use info data-mined from the game files. PGI/IGP has not published anything like you describe.

The top stickies in General Guides is a good start.

#48 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

View Postbantapoo, on 18 December 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

PPC as an energy weapon, is another alternative/complement to laser boats.
Can you make charts to indicate how PPC fare compared to normal and pulse lasers, taking account of dec18 buffs?

I second this. Oh particular interest to me is the damage scaling inside of 90m.

#49 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Im surprised this isn't stickied.

Is it possible that point blank brawler boats could use massive small lasers to fill in all the spots after a heavy weapon?

2 SL = .6 damage per tick compared to ML = .5. Provided you've got the engine size and the heat sinks, the ticklers might be effective if they're paired with some heavy damage space hogging weapons like PPC or AC.

#50 Rayyner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostBagheera, on 26 December 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

The best you will find ...

Thanks.

#51 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 21 January 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Im surprised this isn't stickied.

Is it possible that point blank brawler boats could use massive small lasers to fill in all the spots after a heavy weapon?

2 SL = .6 damage per tick compared to ML = .5. Provided you've got the engine size and the heat sinks, the ticklers might be effective if they're paired with some heavy damage space hogging weapons like PPC or AC.

Indeed. If you have the energy hardpoints (which most mechs don't) it's very effective.

Example: Hunchback 4P with 2 MLAS in the arms and 7 SLAS in the torso/head. Oh, and 20 DHS. It's highly efficient and the DPS is amazing. Not as bursty though, but plenty powerful in the right hands.

#52 boobooo42

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

If mods are too ~objective~ to sticky this, perhaps getting it on a wiki is in order.

#53 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

This is an interesting start, but I think it gets more complex than just looking at each by themselves. You start to look at boating at the end, but what about boating with varying levels of heat sinks, or varying types of lasers? i.e. 10 DHS with 6 MLs or 12 DHS with 4 MLs? What about 2 large and 2 medium vs. 4 large or 4 medium?

I will also say that you're missing the range bit, but I am happy with the single ER large laser on my Spider. I don't really overheat with it, but I like the range.

#54 Teirdome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

I need to post the updated graphs from the ERLL and LPL heat changes. They're both larger buffs than I anticipated.

View PostSkribs, on 19 February 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

This is an interesting start, but I think it gets more complex than just looking at each by themselves. You start to look at boating at the end, but what about boating with varying levels of heat sinks, or varying types of lasers? i.e. 10 DHS with 6 MLs or 12 DHS with 4 MLs? What about 2 large and 2 medium vs. 4 large or 4 medium?

I can start adding more boating related graphs if you would like, but I wasn't convinced that there was a ton of value there when you can get a pretty reasonable heat level quite easily from the mechlab and other great tools. The two graphs presented were more about showing the difference between SHS and MHS as well as teaching people concepts about heat.

View PostSkribs, on 19 February 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

I will also say that you're missing the range bit, but I am happy with the single ER large laser on my Spider. I don't really overheat with it, but I like the range.

I found that ranged data was far too difficult to quantify in a meaningful way unfortunately. I'm constantly trying to find ways to quantify it still.

#55 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hi, I would like to see the updated charts and the boating graphs , because the smurfy heat scale doesn't paint the whole picture like a graph does, in the way just how many continuous shots can I take till heat is critical , how long to wait till the next one shot that doesn't overheat , is it better to have 1 more med.L or one more heatsink in the long run and so on... good work though :) .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users