Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Fellow Mechwarriors; new and veteran alike!

Interested in seeing what some of the other Mechwarriors are piloting on the battlefield? Want to build something awesome but aren't quite sure what to put and where to put it? What to try different things to see what works best for you but without all the creative guesswork? Want to squeeze out the best performance that your mech is capable of?

Check out MECHSPECS.COM

MechSpecs.com is a min/max type site where the community has gotten together to post various mech builds depending on make, model and criteria as well as general discussions on the in-depth mechanics behind the builds.

Share, Participate, Learn, Dominate!

So, check it out! Registration is free!

http://www.mechspecs.com

#2 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

To be honest, why won't use the official forum for such discussion? Why need a different forum, with new registration, harder to find, and ecetera, ecetera?

#3 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:01 AM

View PostCifu, on 31 October 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

To be honest, why won't use the official forum for such discussion? Why need a different forum, with new registration, harder to find, and ecetera, ecetera?

(smiles) You are welcome and encouraged to use whatever method you wish. "Official forums" or alternative community based resources. While the MWOMERCS strives to provide information for new and vet players alike it is often all clumped together in order to save room and decrease complexity of the forums. It also deals more with an introduction to battlemechs rather than the advanced courses; MechSpecs takes that basic service and super-sizes it by making things much more specific and focused on the builds.

MechSpecs caters to the min/max powergamer type player. People who want to know exactly what kind of bang they are getting out of their buck (cbill). Things like Heat Efficiency, Firepower, Speed, Alpha potential etc. etc. In the 3 weeks since the redesign there are now over 200 registered members and a lot of people participating in the community in terms of discussions and build advice.

I do disagree that things are harder to find.

"I want to build an Atlas?" (clicks Atlas)
"I want to build a Founders mech?"(clicks a Founder build)
Reads the Format and emulates in game
Done

How hard is that?

Sure, you could come to the official forums and search through whatever builds are actually posted here (right now not a whole lot), sometimes with no idea what model mech its for (for the most part) nor its capability since most of the builds posted here contain very little information.

Also, we are currently putting a proposal together to present to IGP (as a community resource) in the hopes of getting official endorsement. If that happens I would expect to see more of the information that might be posted here migrated over there.

In the mean time it's a resource for the fans, run by the fans.

#4 WarPickle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 513 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

I use it and fully endorse it :wub: It's much easier to find a mech build than trying to sort through the mess of unorganized builds here.....

#5 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

This site only gets better . I have met good friends though it and posting my builds is great way to archive them somewhere :wub:

Go there....try it....participate....we are a small group right now but we want to grow !

#6 Indroow

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Looking good!

Registered and submitted my build there.

#7 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the endorsement folks.

Without the community, a site like this wouldn't have a chance. Fortunately MechWarrior has one of the most steadfast and loyal, not to mention passionate, fan bases of all time! For realzies!

#8 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'm confused, is this just another forum to discuss MWO? Or is this an attempt at an "Elitist Jerks" for mechwarrior?

#9 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

View Post3rdworld, on 31 October 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

I'm confused, is this just another forum to discuss MWO? Or is this an attempt at an "Elitist Jerks" for mechwarrior?

I would say it is more than an "attempt" but hey don't take my word for it!

Having been a member of Elitistjerks.com for a while now myself and several other players felt that MWO's powergamer type players could benefit from that type of playground. Use, or not, as you wish :D

#10 Crankwerk

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Great Site!

Try it out, won't loose out, constructive critique on your builds, to improve the design flaws, discussions around different topics elementary to Mech design and optimization condensed into a neat format for that purpose alone. Much better than this forum currently for that intent.

Edited by Crankwerk, 31 October 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#11 Allekatrase

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

I'll be honest, I was a little disappointed. I was expecting something more like battleclinic that would allow you to actually set up mechs and would show their stats. Probably a bit early to expect a site like that though.

#12 WarPickle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 513 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 31 October 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

LOL thanks for the laugh... because nothing says Elitist Jerk like sharing your mech build :( Come check it out and you'll understand :rolleyes:

#13 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

View PostAllekatrase, on 01 November 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

I'll be honest, I was a little disappointed. I was expecting something more like battleclinic that would allow you to actually set up mechs and would show their stats. Probably a bit early to expect a site like that though.

I know what you are saying! Having been an EVE Online player from Alpha stages on up through 84m skill-points (at which time I retired) I can say Battleclinic was AWESOME! Sadly, it is still a little early for mech stomping goodness but hope remains!

There was talk a while ago about PGI releasing an API that would facilitate this; however it is so low on the list of priorities right now that it probably isn't even a blip. In the mean time if any independent programmer wants to step up and put their skills to use MechSpecs would be more than happy to host a platform like this.

Until such a time as either PGI, or an independent, comes up with a magical, web-based tool, that will allow that then the best we can do is build the community as best we can, share, discuss, learn etc.

#14 Vactus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 876 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

As Mason said, the great thing about MechSpecs is forums for each specific mech out there. Not one big soup bowl that you have to slog through for a particular Jenner or Atlas. I was probably the first person to talk sh*t about the site when Mason first announced it after the NDA dropped, but I supported it anyways and now I love it.

Just need to grind some more cbills so I can play with more builds.

#15 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

We just posted a new guide written by one of our members (Crankwerk) about building custom mechs; it's geared towards newer players and can be found here: http://www.mechspecs...s-Mechlab-Guide

#16 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

With all the aggresive advertising, I got curious what mechspecs is... turns out, if you're not registered, you can't do anything on that site, not even read.

#17 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostExilyth, on 01 November 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

With all the aggresive advertising, I got curious what mechspecs is... turns out, if you're not registered, you can't do anything on that site, not even read.

Your statement isn't entirely accurate.

You are welcome to read the Articles and Guides and read the Public Discussion Forums but the mech builds are for registered members only. You can see that the builds are there you simply can't read their content as a guest.

Why was this done?

This is a privately funded website (for now) and in order to show growth and actual metrics we need to have some tangible way to be able to track things other than saying "1500+ unique visitors to the site per day and growing". Sure, that sounds impressive it is hardly the "be all to end all" for statistics and measurement of growth and utilization.

Also, I am a firm believer that if you want to learn from the community and utilize it as a resource then you need to be a part of the community.

Registration is free, and we don't give out information; to anyone, for any reason, ever.

The Law According to Grimm

#18 Zultor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Needing to register just to read is lame. Sorry not going to contribute to your spam list generator website.

#19 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostZultor, on 01 November 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

Needing to register just to read is lame. Sorry not going to contribute to your spam list generator website.

No problem! But thank you for coming out and providing a nice little bump to the thread. :(

Also, please don't toss about accusations that are baseless. That is against the Code of Conduct section under Defamation.

#20 LilMookie

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

commando d2 with 3 ssrm2's a spl with stock engine 3 tons of ssrm ammo and as much armor as itl fit, i have no problem taking on an assault mech or even a pesky Jenner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users