CDA-3M?

12 replies to this topic

#1 CrayTrashfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationKalidasa

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

It comes stock with an XL engine and case? why would you have case and xl case will blow up your engine if ammo blows up killing you.

http://mwomercs.com/...and-xl-engines/

Also: AS7-K and RVN-3L

Edited by CrayTrashfire, 31 October 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#2 Vactus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 876 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

You get that logic off these forums immediately!!! :D

Honestly, I'm not sure why they did that. Either way, remove the C.A.S.E. and get a free 1/2 ton to use for something else. :D

#3 hessian

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostCrayTrashfire, on 31 October 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

It comes stock with an XL engine and case? why would you have case and xl case will blow up your engine if ammo blows up killing you.

Because then they can add a few MC to the price for the case.

#4 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I recommend stripping the engine and selling the mech. Buy the 6 Energy slot Cicada and swap the XL in there. You can then run around with 6 small pulse lasers and own the field with full armor

#5 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

save on repair bills. With case in, your whole mech doesn't get blown to smithereens.... just half of it.

Mainly though it's because the TT mechs they are based off of had them in order to save the pilot.

#6 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostCrayTrashfire, on 31 October 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Also: AS7-K and RVN-3L

In tabletop, yes, this makes zero sense if I understand the rules correctly.

Supposedly, in MWO, there is some tiny benefit to having CASE in a torso with an XL Engine.

I have no idea what that is, don't have a citation, etc. Just a random comment I recall seeing.

#7 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Moving to the appropriate area.

Also, MechSpecs.com is your friend.

#8 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

What others have said:

1) It saved the MechWarrior in the TT so the variant also contains it.

2) CASE does save your CT from the ammo explosion which will save you C-Bills.

Interestingly, I removed the CASE but forgot it would save me money during ammo explosions so...I might try to put it back in and see if the savings are worth the 0.5t.

#9 CrayTrashfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationKalidasa

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

View Posthessian, on 31 October 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Because then they can add a few MC to the price for the case.

It costs more because of the xl not the case.... and they could have given them an ams system instead would have been nice.

View PostLowridah, on 31 October 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I recommend stripping the engine and selling the mech. Buy the 6 Energy slot Cicada and swap the XL in there. You can then run around with 6 small pulse lasers and own the field with full armor

and that cicada i had 4 ml and 2 spl with an xl 330 and dhs all i did was run around using alpha strikes with no heat gen was awesome.

also the xl will be destroyed which doesnt save you that much c-bills unless they changed in the last 2 patches

Edited by CrayTrashfire, 31 October 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#10 Monkey Bone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

If the ammo explodes BEFORE the engine dies, CASE will save you. But thats such small chance to happen, so just remove the case.

#11 CrayTrashfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationKalidasa

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostJules Gonzales, on 01 November 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

If the ammo explodes BEFORE the engine dies, CASE will save you. But thats such small chance to happen, so just remove the case.

Case destroys the section its in i prevents ammo from blowing up and damaging nearby sections. So an xl engine that takes 3 slots in both left and right torso will be destroyed case will only save you without the xl. I think the devs need to replace the case in the mechs with an xl to be an ams system

#12 Tuhalu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

To answer the OPs question...

All stock variants are taken from the tabletop game. In the tabletop game, if your center torso is destroyed, your mech is completely unrepairable. At best, you could take some parts from remaining arms, legs and head to repair another mech. If you lose 3 engine criticals, your engine shuts down and the mech cannot fight, but it is not destroyed. Therefore, if you add CASE to a mech with an XL engine, your mech will be repairable after an ammo explosion, instead of completely destroyed! It also tends to let the MechWarrior live to fight another day.

In MWO, a mech is repairable after being cored, so this benefit of CASE is nullified. At best, CASE on an XL-equipped mech will only reduce your repair bill and is a fairly dubious decision. Also, there is no consideration of MechWarrior replacement and/or hospitalization issues, so that benefit is nullified as well.

TL;DR version:
Tabletop campaign rules are different. CASE with an XL is useful under those different rules. Stock variants assume those tabletop rules as they are taken directly from there.

#13 Jonas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHot Springs Ar.

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

View PostLowridah, on 31 October 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

It has happened to me twice I have a love hate relationship with these speedy little Devils.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users