Hunchback variants

59 replies to this topic

#1 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

I have my first purchase coming up here this weekend, and I'm looking at several variants. Either the:

HBK-4SP
HBK-4J
HBK-4H

The idea of a brawling DPS machine launching twin SRM-6s in the SP backed by 4 Medium lasers sounds great, though longer range support and ballistics of the 4J seems pretty good to as a support artillery with 5 Medium lasers for defense and wading into the thick of it when the time comes (versatility the key there).

Last the 4H with its AC-10 supported with 4 medium lasers looks pretty badass too, though that shoulder cannon becomes a big target.

Its this or I role centurion CN9-A or AL...though they don't seem as cool as the HBK line.

Also, soooo missed talking battletech talk...thank you Pirhana for bringing back Mechwarrior to the PC :lol:

#2 Athurio

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

For brawling, I prefer the 4SP. The main reason is that your weapons hardpoints are spread out a little more. The more traditional "hunches" on the other variants are a giant target that pack most of your firepower, and I'm not a fan of being neutered in the middle of the fray.

#3 shadin

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

all the Hunches are good mechs.

I would get the HBK-4SP first though. Its a real solid mech, with lots of ways to configure it.
The cents are ok mechs, but the hunches are just a little bit better.

#4 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Be aware that the 4J runs very hot. You will really need to modify it to make it work well.

Most people will tell you that the 4SP is the best hunch, and they're probably right. It's good out of the box, and flexible in its hardpoints. The only thing it lacks is ballistic hardpoints, so if you want to play with those, you will need to look elsewhere.

#5 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Running that 4SP, do you link the medium lasers into one group firing 4 simultaneously? Also, Alpha striking with the SP souns like it would hurt more then the H or J.

#6 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostCstriker, on 01 November 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Running that 4SP, do you link the medium lasers into one group firing 4 simultaneously? Also, Alpha striking with the SP souns like it would hurt more then the H or J.

I typically grouped the arm lasers by arm. This allowed me to stagger fire when needed, alpha easily without making an extra weapon group, and fire a single arm when required (such as when I was peaking around a corner).

#7 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Take the 4SP. I group the ML in 2 groups per arm as well. You can stagger them so your heat doesn't build up to fast. The SRM's are nice addition for hitting heavy targets. The 4SP doesn't have the huge RT either so you don't lose your main weapon due to one shot.

#8 c00lzyg

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

I did Shrike build with my 4SP (4x S.Laser +2xsrm6) and it's quite fun :D
Which HBK would you recomend to get next as I've almost maxed my current mech?

#9 Ranzear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Great suggestions from the forums and now I've got a 4SP with quad mplas. Sucks to get double-armed, but the sustained fire by filling the damned thing with sinks is so nice.

Edited by Ranzear, 01 November 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#10 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostRanzear, on 01 November 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Great suggestions from the forums and now I've got a 4SP with quad mplas. Sucks to get double-armed, but the sustained fire by filling the damned thing with sinks is so nice.

There are 3 or 4 SP builds over here: http://www.mechspecs...hp?21-Hunchback

Check 'em out if you want variety.

#11 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

There's an HBK4G loadout that I always wanna try when I have the CBill: 2x, or even 3x AC3 with 3x MPL.

Lemme know how it turns out if you decides to try that.

#12 pflasterstein

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'm currently on a hbk-4sp with 4 x medium laser, 1 x er large laser, 2 x SRM 4 with 2to ammo, AMS 1to ammo.
Maybe not ideal. But it's fun to play with :(

Edited by pflasterstein, 01 November 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#13 Karasumaru

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

If you're bored, you can always go for a gaussback. Just keep in mind you're easy prey if scouts notice you early on and circle around.

I did spectate someone using 3XAC2. Rate of fire looks awesome, but not sure how much damage was actually being done. :\

#14 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

Well, I dropped real cash...I broke down and did it...so I bought 3 mechs (not a single assault either! I refuse to be that guy and I will EARN my assault).

HBK-4SP
CPT-K2
CPT-C1

So, now to outfit my HBK. I did get an AMS for it, but I did notice that with the 4 Mlas....omg this thing builds heat fast!!! Anyt suggestions that make this thing run a bit cooler? I don't like the sound of the "Shrike" 4Sp...those Small las x4 feels like it would be a bit weak. Though swaping 2 mediums for a large seems like a good option though too.

Also, would it be better to rock MPulse Las or just regular Las?

Any other upgrades or changes I should make on my 4SP?

Edited by Cstriker, 02 November 2012 - 03:28 AM.

#15 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

View PostCstriker, on 02 November 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

Well, I dropped real cash...I broke down and did it...so I bought 3 mechs (not a single assault either! I refuse to be that guy and I will EARN my assault).

HBK-4SP
CPT-K2
CPT-C1

So, now to outfit my HBK. I did get an AMS for it, but I did notice that with the 4 Mlas....omg this thing builds heat fast!!! Anyt suggestions that make this thing run a bit cooler? I don't like the sound of the "Shrike" 4Sp...those Small las x4 feels like it would be a bit weak. Though swaping 2 mediums for a large seems like a good option though too.

Also, would it be better to rock MPulse Las or just regular Las?

Any other upgrades or changes I should make on my 4SP?

Don't fire all the ML's at the same time have each arm set to a different weapon group. The stock 4SP is actually probably the best HBK to start out on. You can switch out the SRM6's to SSRM2 as your taste dictates. I have seen people going the "Shrike" as well but I feel like the 4 SL under perform.

To put M. PL's you would probably have to go XL engine and endo steel to have enough weight. Endosteel alone might be enough though.

#16 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

View PostCstriker, on 02 November 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

So, now to outfit my HBK. I did get an AMS for it, but I did notice that with the 4 Mlas....omg this thing builds heat fast!!! Anyt suggestions that make this thing run a bit cooler?

Double heatsinks fix that quite nicely. Also dont forget to unlock coolrun in the pilot tree.

#17 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Roger on the cool run, and I think I have enough for endo steel or dual sinks now. Medium pulses with the extra damage seem to fit the brawler build more...I want to be able to knock out a dragon with this thing and annoy bigger stuff.

#18 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Double Heat Sinks is the first big step for your Hunchback-4SP. You save a lot of tonnage there and more once engine DHS start working. I run with x4 SL, x2 Streak 2s, and a Medium Pulse in the head when I'm down just to that. My friend in his 4SP prefers the Medium Lasers but we are usually bash brother brawlers dancing with targets. He's better at staggering his fire with the Mediums and me with raw DPS and little heat with Smalls.

Edited by LaserAngel, 02 November 2012 - 09:27 AM.

#19 Ranzear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Upgraded my 4SP to Endo and Double Sinks. Now I've crammed two SSRM2s in to go with the quad MPLAS. Two tons of ammo is more than enough for both SSRMs even in extended engagements (to say, I've not run out yet...) and I think I can drop it to one ton if I'm more judicious (not shooting them from 300m+). Forgot to mention I had AMS too last post. Very much a fan of the pulse lasers for the shorter burst time, more so than the higher damage, which gives more consistent damage when shooting fast moving scout legs.

Also, kick two points of armor from your front torsos to your rear. The Hunchback presents a pretty large profile back there that scouts get all over, so 25% more butt protection is great because any decent player coming at you from the front is gonna try to delimb a 4SP unlike the other Hunchies. Don't shave your head armor either, that thing is a huge target sticking out when you don't have the shoulder cannon.

Still working up the cash, but soon I'll be able to shave two points of leg armor, drop two sinks, and upgrade to a 245 rating engine and be going about 79.4kph too. I'll lose a tenth off my heat efficiency when I take the sinks out of the arms, but I'll have a much easier time keeping to my optimal range.

So all-told, once I make the engine change and drop two sinks.

4SP with Endo/DoubleSinks
4x MPLAS
2x SSRM2 (100 ammo)
AMS (1000 ammo)
Trivial armor shaving (one point off each leg)
STD 245 engine (79.4kph)

50 tons
34 firepower
1.33 Heat efficiency
320 armor

#20 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostRanzear, on 02 November 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Upgraded my 4SP to Endo and Double Sinks. Now I've crammed two SSRM2s in to go with the quad MPLAS. Two tons of ammo is more than enough for both SSRMs even in extended engagements (to say, I've not run out yet...) and I think I can drop it to one ton if I'm more judicious (not shooting them from 300m+). Forgot to mention I had AMS too last post. Very much a fan of the pulse lasers for the shorter burst time, more so than the higher damage, which gives more consistent damage when shooting fast moving scout legs.

Also, kick two points of armor from your front torsos to your rear. The Hunchback presents a pretty large profile back there that scouts get all over, so 25% more butt protection is great because any decent player coming at you from the front is gonna try to delimb a 4SP unlike the other Hunchies. Don't shave your head armor either, that thing is a huge target sticking out when you don't have the shoulder cannon.

Still working up the cash, but soon I'll be able to shave two points of leg armor, drop two sinks, and upgrade to a 245 rating engine and be going about 79.4kph too. I'll lose a tenth off my heat efficiency when I take the sinks out of the arms, but I'll have a much easier time keeping to my optimal range.

So all-told, once I make the engine change and drop two sinks.

4SP with Endo/DoubleSinks
4x MPLAS
2x SSRM2 (100 ammo)
AMS (1000 ammo)
Trivial armor shaving (one point off each leg)
STD 245 engine (79.4kph)

50 tons
34 firepower
1.33 Heat efficiency
320 armor

Are you grouping or chain firing the SSRM2's? Cuz I've had a bunch of problems with damage showing up with streaks on my Cat A1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users