HBK-4SP upgrade paths

14 replies to this topic

#1 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

So, I looked at Mechspecs, didn't like that sound of the Shrike or a few of hte others, so I was curious as to what other people are doing for upgrades on their 4SP.

The only thing I have for mine right now is I bought a TAG for the head spot...which I then swapped for a 5th Medium laser, and an AMS with 1000rds.

I'm assuming next I should be getting myself Ferro Fiberous armor and Endo steel structure?

From this point, I'm lost, no idea how to out fit this thing to get its heat down (And man does it run hot) and kick ***! Any ideas?

#2 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

If you are using FF and Endo Steel you will eat up 28 critical slots. That essentially limits what your mech is capable of fielding in terms of weaponry, equipment and heat sinks.

Most people go with Endo Steel and NOT Ferro Fiberous armor because the gains aren't worth the cost.

I would check out the mech building guide here: http://www.mechspecs...s-Mechlab-Guide

There are many good ideas for vets and new players alike.

Figure out what you want the mech to do first then build accordingly.

Is it a brawler?
Is it a sniper?
Will you run energy weapons (hot) and need heat sinks to compensate?
Will you run ammo fed weapons and need CASE or ammo stocks?
Will you be fast enough to deal with lights/recon mechs?
Will you be slow and act as a support mech?

Running around and "kicking !@$" doesn't really give us enough information to help you with the build.

#3 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

I have a brawler 4SP

standard 225
medium pulse in head
kept the medium lasers on arms
2 streaks instead of srm6
double heatsinks
ams

double heatsinks take up a lot of space but they're very usefull, endo gets you only 2.5 ton, double heatsinks is a much larger weightsaving.

edit: got 10 crits left, if I dump 2 heatsinks I can run a 260 engine (which has an extra heatsink built in) if I run endosteel. Might be worth it.

Edited by Flapdrol, 02 November 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#4 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Well I'm in a 4SP so brawler is the optimal role for this thing. I am reluctant to swap out the SRM6s for streaks as it seems like a damage reduction. Okay, so I'll keep regular armor and go for endo steel structure, up to double heat sinks and maybe swap parts in the head for a medium pulse or drops some mediums for a large laser.

I'll at least experiment with the Streaks.

#5 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Streaks are a damage reduction if you're on pointblank but on 150m or something it's probably a boost, they're also very good agianst lights.

streak ammo is expensive so turn off autorearm if you're farming for cbills, it reloads for free to 75% ammo.

#6 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

I love the Streaks + 260 Standard engine for survivability and the speed/weapons to harass light mechs with 2-4 missile barrages before they're out of range. I see people looking at Endo Steel but I run Small Lasers. It might make sense if you want to run all Medium Lasers but even with DHS I run into some heat issues after enough sustained fire. 90m on the Small Lasers is low and close but I run as a brawler for bigger mechs with my speed and DPS instead of higher alpha damage.

#7 HaDeZs

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I ran mine with SRM6 + Light Lazers, double heatsinks and a 240/245 standard engine before the update/open beta. The streak2's are a great upgrade though if your seeing lights, really helped with lights which there are tons of right now. SRM6 if your seeing more meds/heavies. I would opt for not getting med lazers, there just isn't enough heat dissipation to use them effectively with the streaks long term. You won't put out the DPS with SRM/Streaks + med lazers to nuke anything before you get too hot and are forced to run. Plus, your main damage will be from the missle damage with crits. Thats the main melter in the weapons plus it gives you the valuable camera shake + slight loss of vision when they are looking at you.

#8 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

For a sick brawler using the 4SP variant I would do the following:
Go with an endosteel chassis and double heat sinks. Mount dual SRM6s (along with 2 tons of ammo) and equip a single Large Pulse Laser per arm. From there you can either choose to equip Medium or Small lasers for extra close range fire power and to manage heat while keeping the damage going or could could forge the extra weapons in favor of more ammo or a larger engine.

For a sick sniper variant using the 4SP:
Go with an endosteel chassis and double heat sinks. Mount dual LRM (can't remember If I used LRM10s or LRM15s) and some ammo. Equip an ERPPC in each arm and a tag laser in the head. Boat up on heat sinks. This will run a little hot but remember you are a sniper, not a brawler. Chain fire everything (sepcicially your your PPCs) and be aware of how much heat your weapons generate. Pic your shots with your PPC sparingly. Use them to soften up larger targets or when you don't have scout support for your LRMs and you need to maintain cover.

#9 Cstriker

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

Hmmmm, I was going to try going 4x Medium Pulse Las with 2 in each arm and 2x SRM6s...though maybe I'll try the 2x Large Pulse though now too...sounds good.

Thanks!

#10 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

i was pureley going 4x med pulse laser and heatsinks and a 245 engine from my jenner this thing is a beast :D
mostly runs cold but if u overheat u can use cycle :D or go back to its 200 engine and more hs i think it was 24 vs 20 in the 245

#11 Ghost Inc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 136 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostRaso, on 02 November 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

For a sick brawler using the 4SP variant I would do the following:
Go with an endosteel chassis and double heat sinks. Mount dual SRM6s (along with 2 tons of ammo) and equip a single Large Pulse Laser per arm. From there you can either choose to equip Medium or Small lasers for extra close range fire power and to manage heat while keeping the damage going or could could forge the extra weapons in favor of more ammo or a larger engine.

For a sick sniper variant using the 4SP:
Go with an endosteel chassis and double heat sinks. Mount dual LRM (can't remember If I used LRM10s or LRM15s) and some ammo. Equip an ERPPC in each arm and a tag laser in the head. Boat up on heat sinks. This will run a little hot but remember you are a sniper, not a brawler. Chain fire everything (sepcicially your your PPCs) and be aware of how much heat your weapons generate. Pic your shots with your PPC sparingly. Use them to soften up larger targets or when you don't have scout support for your LRMs and you need to maintain cover.

Hm referring to your LPLAS Variant:
I do not have enough tonnage free, how did you do that? Shaving armor?

#12 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostCstriker, on 03 November 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Hmmmm, I was going to try going 4x Medium Pulse Las with 2 in each arm and 2x SRM6s...though maybe I'll try the 2x Large Pulse though now too...sounds good.

Thanks!

To be honest I didn't like the drop in range with the Medium Pulse Lasers. I like having the option to attack at a longer range and use cover when I have the chance to do so but also love me some brawling. I think that with proper firing discipline and the right approach to the enemy that anything short of 2 mechs rounding a corner and meeting for the first time that Medium Lasers will out preform Medium Pulse Lasers by virtue of allowing you to open fire from a greater distance. That's just my preference, however.

View PostIncorporeaL GhosT, on 03 November 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

Hm referring to your LPLAS Variant:
I do not have enough tonnage free, how did you do that? Shaving armor?

I used an Endo Steal frame and double heat sinks. With Double Heat sinks I was able to shave off 10 tons worth of heat sinks and keep up a decent heat efficiency. I might of also taken some armor off the legs, but I can't recall and haven't had the time to grind up the C Bills again since the reset. Also, I was using the stock 200 engine. The added range on the Large Pulse Lasers helps to make up for the sluggish speed.

Also, if I recall, if you can fit the Large Pulse Lasers you can fit the ERPPCs. I think they are the same tonnage, but don't quote me I don't have the details in front of me right now.

#13 pflasterstein

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm now using 4 x medium laser, 1 x medium pulse laser, 2 x streak srm2 and ams with the 260 engine. Endo & DHS of course. The weaponrange is far enough because of the speed this engine provides. It's a brawler anyways.

Edit2:

From this point, I'm lost, no idea how to out fit this thing to get its heat down (And man does it run hot) and kick ***! Any ideas?

I'm running with 16 DHS at 1.4 heat efficiency btw. :P

Edited by pflasterstein, 03 November 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#14 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

The -4SP I'm running right now is 3x ML, 2x SL, and 2x SRM6 w/ 2 tons of ammo, and AMS. I have the standard 200 SFE and DHS, but no endosteel. If I wanted more speed, I'd have to lose a *lot* of heat efficiency, as the 250 SFE is the worst engine for heat efficiency under the current build of the game, and the only place I really have to shave weight right now is heat sinks. I could go with an XL engine, but I really dislike the lack of durability it brings.

Because of the lack of speed, this build is more of an ambusher, so it suffers on maps like caustic that lack cover.

#15 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 03 November 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

The -4SP I'm running right now is 3x ML, 2x SL, and 2x SRM6 w/ 2 tons of ammo, and AMS. I have the standard 200 SFE and DHS, but no endosteel. If I wanted more speed, I'd have to lose a *lot* of heat efficiency, as the 250 SFE is the worst engine for heat efficiency under the current build of the game, and the only place I really have to shave weight right now is heat sinks. I could go with an XL engine, but I really dislike the lack of durability it brings.

Because of the lack of speed, this build is more of an ambusher, so it suffers on maps like caustic that lack cover.

4SP is totally an ambusher. There are places on Caustic that actually work really well. The E5-F5 ridge area really that whole ridge and rocky area on that side of the map. Also the ridge on the left side (can't think of the grid) if you are coming from the manufacturing start point is also a really good area.

One of the best maps to be on is River City because of all the cover. Only map I ever run out of SRM ammo on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users