• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

TL:DR: I will quote the immortal words of Will Wheaton "Don't be a ****."

Here are the developer posts on this:
OK, so as with real life, so with the game. There are ***-hats everywhere, but, thankfully, they are the minority, but they have a powerful affect in spoiling the game and community for many, many people especially the new players, and especially those new to the MW franchise.

So, I will plead with you this: stop hazing the newbs and start raising them.

You need to stop the following and if I catch anyone doing any of these I pledge to report every single one of you that I encounter, and I implore everyone else to do the same:
  • Insulting, Demeaning, or Belittling others
  • AFK Farming
  • Not Reparing or Rearming Your Mech
  • Suicide Farming
  • Purposeful Team Killing
  • Purposefully Shooting Others
  • Alt-F4 - trick (not cool - really)
New Players: The new players are going to be an important part of the MWOs's future, and without them the game is sure to have a really difficult time. If you really want to game to fail then keep being an *** and you will work greatly towards your intended goal. We need to groom the new players and help them to learn how to play. The game, currently, does not have a tutorial, in game help/tooltips, voice comm for PUGs, etc or anything else to make it easier for them to learn the game, therefore the responsibility lies on us, the MWO community, to help them suck less, learn the game, and be a better player. We need to act like a community and not like a group of selfish individuals. We must raise up the less fortunate and knowledgeable among us, and as we do that we will raise the quality of the game.

If you think that a player is doing something wrong ,or could be doing it better, then advise them so, and do not be an *** about it. The learning curve for this game is pretty steep especially for people who have never played anything like this before. Be constructive and let them know what they need to know and leave it at that. Do not insult, demean or belittling others. If you do not have anything nice to say then shut the hell up. Once the we get further along in the BETA and in the Match Maker fixing process you will not have to suffer them. So suck it up and be part of the solution, and not part of the problem... or you will be reported

Farming: Abusing exploits such as AFK farming and Suicide Farming, not repairing and rearming is against the Terms of Service agreement, and it destroys the game for everyone else, since it means one less team mate. We know that the reward system, the trial system, and the match maker needs to be fixed. The devs know and there are fixes coming. Quite abusing it because you can. The devs have state that doing so is wrong, and that if you find an exploit to report it and then quit using it. Having just one mech down on a team, especially a PUG team, all but ensures their loss. Do not be a selfish person of low moral character. Work for your money like the rest of us, and stop abusing the other people who play this game, and destroying the game for them.

General Dickery: Team Killing, Team Shooting and Alt-F4 - do not do it. You will be reported. This is a team game and people expect to be on a team with other team players who are there to cooperate towards the win. Do this and you will be reported.

Alt-F4… not everyone is savvy about computers and knows what this does. Don't do it. You are popping them out of the game and putting their team down one person, and if their team is a PUG group you are ensuring their loss.

What you can do to help raise the next generation of players?

Create guides like mine: [Guide] Playing with Friends, Groups, and Teams
Give constructive advice
Join a TS educational and newb help channel
and, most importantly ….

Report The Abusers: For those of you who have encountered any of this send an email to Support@MWOMercs.com and add as much info as you can: pilot name, date/time, map, the mech that they were in, etc… the more you can give them the better. Screens shots are always great. This will be the only way to ensure that this is dealt with. Do not silently sit there and take it. By virtue of doing such you enable them to do it again to you and others. The only way to stop it is to let PGI know of their abuses so that they can be dealt with.

Edited by Taryys, 30 November 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#2 Dagger906

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

People suicide/afk farm in order to repair their Atlas.

The alternative is using their Atlas unrepaired. Pick your poison.

I know devs meant for them to buy sub, but that aint happening... :ph34r:

#3 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Most of the people talking about this just do not want to grind.
I have seen one thread on that. Regardless of the impetus, it is wrong and should not be done.

Yea, things still need to be fixed, but they should still not abuse the game.

#4 Tarrasque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

This has got to be one of the best posts I've read on these forums.

Agreed 100%. Thanks, Taryys

#5 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'll report them when I can do it in game, without needing to write sht down or alt tab to Gmail.

Until then, I'm going to assume PGI doesn't want to know. I NEVER liked filing tickets on the website because it clearly cannot log the time you did it for a clear server end point to work backward. Now that I can't even file a ticket, there is next to no chance I'm going to keep my email open with a blank message to PGI started up just waiting for some douchery.

#6 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Yea, I cannot wait until they add the Submit Ticket link back into the profile, or even better, allow reporting in game!
That will be really nice.

So kind! Thanks!

View PostTarrasque, on 02 November 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

This has got to be one of the best posts I've read on these forums.

Agreed 100%. Thanks, Taryys

#7 Jake Stark

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

I think this is impossible to try and request the community to act like a real Mech community when it is free to play.

#8 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

It is not impossible to ask people to stop being an ***.
As long people consistently report it and call the people out on it, such things will slowly stop.

Free to play in no way implies free of morals.
Sure it means anyone can get in, but as long as there are ramifications for being an ***, then these things can be mitigated.
If you see it and do not report it then you are allowing such things to continue. :ph34r:

#9 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Maybe they do not realize they are being and *#@. This is the case more often than not. True there are those are are going to be an *#@ irregardless because they don't want to take their prozac. Try and point out what they are doing wrong, why it is wrong, and what they can do to make the game more fun for themselves, and you.

#10 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Good call.

#11 Doomie77

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 123 posts
  • LocationModesto, Ca

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I constantly see **** talking, and trickery on newbs. It's not right and needs to stop. Want the game to die, dickwads?

#12 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Yea... they do not really seem to care so much about the community.
Makes me Sad Panda. :(

#13 renahzor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostTaryys, on 02 November 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

Report The Abusers: For those of you who have encountered any of this send an email to Support@MWOMercs.com and add as much info as you can: pilot name, date/time, map, the mech that they were in, etc… the more you can give them the better. Screens shots are always great. This will be the only way to ensure that this is dealt with. Do not silently sit there and take it. By virtue of doing such you enable them to do it again to you and others. The only way to stop it is to let PGI know of their abuses so that they can be dealt with.

Suicide farming is a massive failure of game design in general around their rewards system, and locking trial mechs until the end of the match will not fix it. They can try all they want to stop it with systems that are unnecessarily punishing to new players, but it simply won't stop it from happening and makes the overall NPE worse. The current stable of trial mechs are bad, I like the Cent but none of the others, essentially the proposed change is terrible for me, when I die I now get to wait up to 15 mins to play. All to try and stop something that is caused by a completely broken trial mech and trial rewards system.

On top of it not fixing the problem, AND being bad for new players in general, you still can't do anything to payers who do it unless they exhibit the behavior across dozens and dozens of matches. I have died legitimately within the first 45s - 1 min of a match sometimes more than one match in a row, typically by doing something silly because I WAS NEW to the game, (ie: don't stop on a crest of a hill, gausspaults will kill you). This approach they've taken by handwaving it as an exploit is ridiculous at best.

Edit: clarity

Edited by renahzor, 02 November 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#14 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

All you have said is true, and I agree.
This a still a BETA, and as a part of Beta find exploits, report them, and do not use them. Pretty simple.
There is no handwaving involved. They know things are broken and they are working on a fix.

Do not be an ***-hat and destroy the game for others.
Play the game. Do not cheat it.

#15 renahzor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostTaryys, on 02 November 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

All you have said is true, and I agree.
This a still a BETA, and as a part of Beta find exploits, report them, and do not use them. Pretty simple.
There is no handwaving involved. They know things are broken and they are working on a fix.

Do not be an ***-hat and destroy the game for others.
Play the game. Do not cheat it.

It got at least a crap bandaid fix with tons more people abusing it, while it was completely ignored through everything that was said about the system in CB. Unfortunately I'm almost 100% sure they expedited this fix ONLY because it hurts their pocket book when people earn more cbills per hour than they were intending. This bandaid wont fix the problem. banning people in trials doing it wont even slow it down. Its a flawed economy model at the baseline, and the fix is as bad as saying you'll get no rewards for dying in the first 2 minutes. Move rewards to performance based primarily, including daily/weekly/rolling bonuses for accumulation of positive gameplay stats like 10 assists in a day = cbill bonus, and bonuses at 5,10,25,100,250,500 lifetime etc.

I'm sorry but "It's Still Beta™" is no excuse when they're taking money permanently and threatening bans for exploits in a system that is so flawed they consider dying an exploit.

#16 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Banning people from breaking rules is kind of status quo.
Fixes are coming. It does take time.

It is in BETA and people do not have to give money at all.
If they do they should know what that means, especially with a game in Beta and which has so many broken things that need to be fixed and so much functionality still to be implemented.

#17 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

I had a post like this back on the Closed Beta fourms. :(

Guess what happened to it. lol.

#18 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Yea, I remember that. It was quite the stir.

I thought I may as well attempt to carry the torch here.

#19 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostTaryys, on 02 November 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

If they do they should know what that means, especially with a game in Beta and which has so many broken things that need to be fixed and so much functionality still to be implemented.

So, as BETA TESTERS we need to TEST those broken things, right? Perhaps these people are TESTING the economy system, not just farming. Or TESTING the heat generation/dissipation and rate of damage and criticals chance done to the internals by overheating. Or TESTING "Out of Bounds" bug when counter continues even when you return inside the boundary.

What "abusing" and "breaking the game for others" you're talking about? If we are BETA TESTERS, it's our duty to break the game, to investigate loopholes and to push it to the limits, and if you don't like suiciding teammates- oh, as the BETA TESTER you're NOT ENTITLED to just play and enjoy your experience! Let the TESTERS do their job!

#20 renahzor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostTaryys, on 02 November 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Banning people from breaking rules is kind of status quo.
Fixes are coming. It does take time.

The problem isn't banning people for breaking rules, its naming dying too quickly an exploit/TOS violation because you failed at creating a game that was more rewarding to play both in currency and fun terms, than it is to die quickly. Think of how utterly ridiculous that sounds for a second. What if in Counterstrike you got banned for dying within a minute or so of match start? Not just banned but steam account wiped because its a TOS violation. The whole idea of it is asinine.

Also, we can go round and round about what PGI has said "Open Beta" means to them, which is essentially "We're going farmville beta" to cover our **** from everything that is broken/unfinished, but still make some cash. However by ignoring industry standards you also subvert the expectations of consumers therein. There are no more data wipes, money spent is permanent, that is a product BEING SOLD AT RETAIL. They want people spending money on it *now* not at "hard launch" whenever they get around to it.

I've had 3 friends come try MWO with me since open beta, All of them played no more than 10 matches and said they might come back in 6 months. First impressions are hard to get back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users