Will there be training allowed in MWO?

214 replies to this topic

Poll: Training in MWO (807 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be training allowed within the frame work of the game?

1. Voted Yes, and it should be allowed free (no C-bill cost) and with no damage occuring to mechs when in this mode and using just what they have acheived in the skill tree etc (511 votes [63.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.32%

2. Yes, but it should cost C-bills, but with no damage occuring to mechs while in this mode and using just what they have acheived in the skill tree etc. (101 votes [12.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.52%

3. Yes, not sure how it should happen but it should happen. (168 votes [20.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.82%

4. No (27 votes [3.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostMajDisaster, on 15 April 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

I for one would like to see a test mode after the Mechlab. Last thing I want to do is install a new module and head out to the battlefield only to learn that when I fire it up I redline my reactor and blow up.

I fired the alpha-strike from the Supernova in MW3 to find out how long it would take to cool down & power up again. Except it didn't overheat & shut down, it exploded! BOOM! Wish I'd known that beforehand.

#42 Wyzak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 256 posts
  • LocationHartford, Vermont

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I imagine training in MWO will follow some cues from singe player campaigns and other online F2P trainers - you'll go out on a series of non-missions, and visual cues or voice-overs will tell you about the controls and the basics of piloting, getting more advanced in each mission. I've noticed most games lately instead of relying on a manual (non-existent) will wait until a new feature is introduced, stop the game, then explain it to you, then allow the game to resume in the context of the training, and only return you to the "real" portion of the game when you have demonstrated an ability to do the tasks required. Sometimes this level of hand holding is suffocating, but it can add atmosphere when done right - like Sergeant Unther and your contract with Hanson's Rough Riders. That campaign was exciting enough that you didn't really want to skip it even though it paid hardly anything.

#43 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

So, I just had a thought, it may be a bad one, we'll see...

Make this a perk of "high level" Merc units, or high loyalty-level/elite faction units. Charge a weekly/monthly c-bill "fee" for the Merc unit to sustain varying levels of Simulators. If you only want to pay for a Lance worth, you get 4 vs 4 "sparring" with no exp gain, no repair cost. It lets you drop into a simulated match without any benefit besides familiarization with your mech and the environment. It would be restricted so only members of your unit could join it (this prevents it being abused, hopefully, as a way to have "planetary leagues" within the game).

There'd be different levels that the Merc unit could "rent", 4, 8, 12. Or none, if they don't want to spend the c-bills. This would require a "tax" or some way of collecting funds from the unit and a place to store it (a "unit bank" if you will).

For the faction units, the higher up the scale you go, the larger the sim size they offer, free of charge. If you're part of the 1st Davion Heavy Guards for example, you get free assess to the 12vs12 simulator, but only against other members of the 1st DHG.

Edited by Dihm, 16 April 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#44 CyberCrist

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

Hands down, there should be some kind of training or tutorial.

#45 EmCeeKhan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

I think we need a simulator to test out possible 'Mech builds anyway.

Why not use it for training?

EDIT: I'll give you an example. Anyone play Chromehounds? If so, you know that having the option to test your Hound in a simulation prior to fielding it in Multiplayer is PARAMONT to survival. Otherwise, you're sending an experimental build into a destructive environment and that costs ME money.

Let us do it like this - and if you want, just use the build simulator to train.

Edited by EmCeeKhan, 17 April 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#46 100mile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

View PostEmCeeKhan, on 17 April 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

I think we need a simulator to test out possible 'Mech builds anyway.

Why not use it for training?

and if you want, just use the build simulator to train.

So apparently the Dev's thought so too...cause they said we will have a way to test a mech before we buy it...But the training i am refering to has to do with unit training...and that will probably have to be a separate thing from the mech lab...since the mech lab will be an individual thing...
Am glad we will have the ability to test a mech out before we buy tho..that is sweet...

Edited by 100mile, 19 April 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#47 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostHef, on 10 April 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

A training sim for merc groups would be invaluable for learning maps and plotting strategies.
That said, if you're not man enough to get out there and shoot something for real then maybe the next battle you find a pretty pink tutu around your 'mech's waist. eh? ;)

exactly, warriors are born in battle. theres no need to waste precious time and resouces coming up with a training system pre release. if they have time to waste down the road i guess they can put an in game simulator in play, but till then, just get in your mech and q for a fight. youll either learn as you go or natural selection will kick in and weed ya out :)

#48 Volturnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 294 posts
  • LocationInternational Waters

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

I'm for training. Given the emphasis being placed on battlefield coordination, I think lancemates need someplace to work out their strategies in a risk-free environment. Realistically speaking, any military unit that wishes to maintain efficacy and cohesion on the battlefield needs to be able to experiment. Innovation is important, but not at the expense of efficiency.

#49 Ashrok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 19 April 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

exactly, warriors are born in battle. theres no need to waste precious time and resouces coming up with a training system pre release. if they have time to waste down the road i guess they can put an in game simulator in play, but till then, just get in your mech and q for a fight. youll either learn as you go or natural selection will kick in and weed ya out Posted Image

Not sure if serious or poking fun.

Either way, a training mode would help. Otherwise you can expect lots of grief from new players.

#50 Ross486

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think this is an awesome idea hopefully they will put this in since it seems alot of people are in favor of having it. Also it will give a player the ability to test out multiple Mech's and loadouts for each Mech to see which ones the person actually likes.

#51 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

exactly, warriors are born in battle. theres no need to waste precious time and resouces coming up with a training system pre release. if they have time to waste down the road i guess they can put an in game simulator in play, but till then, just get in your mech and q for a fight. youll either learn as you go or natural selection will kick in and weed ya out Posted Image

So i hope you keep that attitude...that way when you run into a unit that has trained together and knows how to perform flanking maneuvers as a unit whatever unit you are with won't take up a lot of server time before they are destroyed.... :D

#52 Kusiami

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

We definitely need the ability to do unranked, private matches with friends. The ability to set the time limit, respawn, etc. would be nice for training purposes.

#53 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostKusiami, on 26 April 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

We definitely need the ability to do unranked, private matches with friends. The ability to set the time limit, respawn, etc. would be nice for training purposes.

Exactly....Unit training is a must.....

#54 Volturnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 294 posts
  • LocationInternational Waters

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

I for one don't plan on learning to pilot a 'Mech with a HOTAS and pedals on the fly.

That's just silly.

#55 chungus maximus

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Training is a pretty alright idea. I have a handful of friends that have never been into MW or Battletech and I want to bring them on board. But, jumping into a game with a bunch of guys who have no experience playing the game sounds... painful to me. It would be a good way for the new player to learn how to play and give the veterans who have been offline for a while a chance to hone their edge again in a safe environment.

#56 ClockWise

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, United States

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

Sure there should be training. You start out as a new recruit, so training will be highly suggested I believe. The training should use a Battlemech with average speed and firepower, something like the bushwacker used in MW4 Merc for training.

#57 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostClockWise, on 28 April 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

Sure there should be training. You start out as a new recruit, so training will be highly suggested I believe. The training should use a Battlemech with average speed and firepower, something like the bushwacker used in MW4 Merc for training.

Feel like i need to clarify something...Not looking for a specific training program set up by the dev's....Frankly they have enough stuff to do...Looking for a server or two to be set aside for use as training areas that the units can use to practice unit maneuver's and stuff like that...

#58 Ross486

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostLaorDeLove, on 10 April 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

Yeah it is stolen. All the best things in life are taken from one source and used in a slightly different way. Besides who ever owns the Halo series can't really complain. BT could complain they stole the idea of super battle armor from BT. Besides it is still different. You could call it whatever. Call it Nacht der Städtische-mech (Night of the Urbanmech, roughly.) LOL It still would be fun to do.

Well hopefully they don't make it Night of the Atlas where its endless waves of Atlases trying to kill you :P .

#59 Lettuce Prey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationRedwood Forest Humboldt County California - in other words i live out in the woods

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

since they have already said that there WILL be some kind of training, make it optional to bypass that and just jump into battle "cold", and instead of penalizing people that go through the training program, just give the ones that jump in cold a bonus of some kind for that specific character. something like better thermal managment, or a perminant %0.5 XP bonus, or some other thing like a small badge on the leg of their machinery denoting "Balls of steel".
i don't know, but i can see myself taking the option even if there were no extras for doing so.

i for one, and i know my view is unpopular, is that too many games are "dumned down".
making it too easy for total fools to get in and become powerful greifers.
Eve online was difficult to learn in the beginning, and i loved it.
back then pirates were not greifers, just cut throats with a purpose that fit into a role.
people that took on the pirate role actually made the game fun and gave people interesting stories to tell.
then they started all the extreme hand holding and tutorials and gradually the game has become dominated by dull witted greifers.
i haven't renewed either of my subscriptions in years, and i loved that game.

so i don't like the idea of making a game too easy to play, and as i said, my opinion on this is unpopular.

#60 LaorDeLove

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostRoss486, on 29 April 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Well hopefully they don't make it Night of the Atlas where its endless waves of Atlases trying to kill you <_< .

Maybe Atlases will start showing after a few waves of Urbans. Give the Urbans reflective armor. If the devs allow field repair and rearming in the actual mission/campaign then disable it for Night of the Atlas/Urbanmech. Basically it would be chaos to the extreme. There would be no survivors especially mixing Atlases and Urbans together. LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users