Pre-Patch notes

206 replies to this topic

#201 siLve00

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

so ecm is a must have..
netcode / hitboxes getting a lil fix ?

so we will see more lights.. only difference : lrm/ssrm wont harm them anymore ?

its hammerti...... oh no wait.. its JENNERTIME !

#202 cmopatrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

it will be interesting to see how ECM is deployed.

first, like anything else, if it is hardpoint specific, not all mechs will be able to run it. right now few mechs look like they have the option to add the placeholder for it (even two of my three ravens can not mount it). i seriously doubt they will add it to other mechs if their related variant's didn't have it.

i forget who in the long read above commented that Artemis would be needed to counteract ECM, but if the devs deploy something close to canon, it will jam Artemis IV, C3, C3i, and Narc. BAP would have problems with it, too. TAG, as a direct laser guidance appears NOT to be effected, but i could be wrong (would not be the first time B) ). btw, it will be interesting to me (as a scout) to see how they implement ECM. will it be close to canon or something more on along the lines that mw4 (for example) did?

Edited by cmopatrick, 06 November 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#203 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostCaezael, on 06 November 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

Maaaan, we're in desperate need of a new map or 2....

Good thing they're adding Forest Alternate this patch.

#204 Hoshi Toranaga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

I did some calculating and while I agree that DHS prolly need to be balanced we have to separate 2 problems.
I agree on the DHS nerf as in the long run if we ever get Clan DHS (only 2 crits) it will get totally out of hand and planning ahead is good. So I am game to give the 1.4 a try in this beta.

However what is upsetting to me is the whole energy weapon range.
Lets face it:
Small Laser - Best energy weapon there is
Small Pulse - Useless vs small laser
Medium Laser - Still good, especially for the range
Medium Pulse - Was good, prolly useless with this patch
Large Laser - In most situations 2 meds will be better, but it still has its uses for long range
Large Pulse - Useless for the amount of heat it generates already and more useless with todays patch
PPC - useless as there is no PPC sniping that really hurts and the min range makes it useless if you have to brawl (which is a lot) hence you would need secondary close range weapons, so at any time picking a PPC over a large laser is useless
ER PPC - Even more useless, while it ditches the min range (thankfully) the amount of heat makes it unusable. Do not get me wrong even in TT the ER PPC was something you needed to handle your heat in, but it has no advantage whatsoever in this game to use it over a Large Laser even with 20 DHS (which in MWO you need to remotely handle 4 large lasers - you will still overheat though...)

I will not even talk about the ER variants as they are completely bogus.

Why the it takes the devs so long in a beta with an agile movement to start trying to balance these is beyond me.
They did manage to balance the autocannons, what is so hard about the energy weapons???

#205 MrKnox

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

[color=#959595]PPC - useless as there is no PPC sniping that really hurts and the min range makes it useless if you have to brawl (which is a lot) hence you would need secondary close range weapons, so at any time picking a PPC over a large laser is useless[/color]
[color=#959595]ER PPC - Even more useless, while it ditches the min range (thankfully) the amount of heat makes it unusable. Do not get me wrong even in TT the ER PPC was something you needed to handle your heat in, but it has no advantage whatsoever in this game to use it over a Large Laser even with 20 DHS (which in MWO you need to remotely handle 4 large lasers - you will still overheat though...)[/color]

Agreed. I use a 2 PPC 1ERPPC build which is good for a bit of harassment sniping, but the majority of maps are short ranged slug fests, and are hilly enough that LRM's will generally outclass any direct fire weapons 9 times out of 10.

Even with ECM, I'm not particularly positive about the future of direct fire support mechs. Brawl or die is the *current* state of MWO unless you're boating LRM's or headshotting with gauss.

#206 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

View Posttheta123, on 04 November 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

Thank god i am not the only one!

And artemis. As in Artemis FCS that improves accuracy of LRMS and SRMS?
Arent LRMS bloody accurate powerfull already?
Just some worries, unless somebody can shed some light in this

There is a problem with SRMs in that they scatter and hit everything in your cone, including teammates who were close to or behind your target. If Artemis can focus the missiles on the intended target then that is a good advance... for SRMs.

Similarlyif it only works for LRMs on targets within your line-of-sight it should reduce friendly-fire damage to friendly brawlers fighting in-close.

#207 Cev Lost

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 34 posts
  • LocationDS: Command

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Tibs:

This is LOS based, if you have an atlas infront of a hunchback and you are trying to rain in on the hunchy, and in theory your artemis is pointed at the atlas it would seem resonable that your lrms being as stupid as they are even in board game that they would pulverize the atlas

sorry dumb logic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users