How To Make User.cfg Work Again (+ Patched Sys_Spec* Files)

284 replies to this topic

#21 Dealer

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostBlindman25, on 07 November 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

I see you paste config with High settings or for high resolution.
Can you paste code for very bad PC? With resolution 800x600 or 1024x768 and very low settings.
I would be grateful

If I remember correctly Yaros config was pretty rock-bottom.

View PostBladeXXL, on 04 November 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

H
##########################################################################################

And here is the latest user.cfg (v1.2) from Yaros:
Spoiler

and here the same but without the comments ans description:
Spoiler

I have no validation for Yaros config... if it works: fine ... if not: tough

With DX11 (some day...) this config becomes outdated ... but I hope Yaros will fix it asap! :-)

#####################################################################################

Edited by Dealer, 07 November 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#22 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

AH here it is! Lost this thread with the forum upgrade.

Sad news that performance seems to be sluggish again ;)

Keeping an eye on this for any tips for us low spec system guys, especially from Blade and Yaros...

!!!

#23 evlkenevl

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the reply, Blade!

My knowledge of programming is very limited, so I like to be crystal clear on these things. I had just a precious few weeks of playable framerates without needing a custom user.cfg, now I'm back to "slide-show".

#24 betocorp

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hey guys!

I am having a lot of issues with the 6th patch and my lowlow .cfg. looks like they disabled to edit a lot of things like objects, water and lights. Does someone can confirm this issue or they moved to a hidden cvar?

#25 Lufos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

yeah, the latest patch made performance worse for me too, just like all the other patches. its playable, but still.

#26 Rippthrough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

View Postthorglen, on 04 November 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

tried the low spec config above and it makes caustic uberbright for the first 3 min or so. any idea why?

It's the HDR settings, there's a cockup in there, it's in quite a few configs, people changing things without realising what they're actually doing I think.

Change this:

r_HDREyeAdaptionCache = 30

to

r_HDREyeAdaptionCache = 6

And change:

r_EyeAdaptationSpeed = 0.5

to:

r_EyeAdaptationSpeed = 4

Should make it much better without having quite the hit updating it every frame or two would.
90% of the HDR cvars in there are obsolete anyway as they're locked, so they don't work.

Edited by Rippthrough, 08 November 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#27 WMHorus

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 24 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

I had problems with game not starting with Yaros config so i removed the top section and only used the part from Renderer down leaving the debug,controller and core off now it works fine if any one else has same prob that's the work around.

#28 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostWMHorus, on 08 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

I had problems with game not starting with Yaros config so i removed the top section and only used the part from Renderer down leaving the debug,controller and core off now it works fine if any one else has same prob that's the work around.

What is your performance like after doing this?

#29 SirBlackhOle

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCorpus Christi, TX

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I tried all the various workarounds with no real performance gain. Once I downloaded the config.zip and installed it and implemented Yaros' config I went from 15-20fps to 35-45! Amazing gains!

The only problem I have so far is frozen city is waaaaaay to bright. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks!

#30 Carmaga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostOw Chi, on 08 November 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

What is your performance like after doing this?

It was way better. But the setback was stability. After todays hotfix I couldn't play with my own mechs. It crashed constantly. With trial mechs I had no problem. So I re-installed the whole game. If I was to chose between stability or fps, I would pick the one where I could play missions to the end.

Edited by Carmaga, 08 November 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#31 betocorp

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

No luck here guys...

They awansered my ticket and said that they really dont want us to modify the .cfg so locked server side almost all vars to improuve stability.

So sad to hear that and I give up to mke the game smooth... It is a lot better a crash or another in 15-20fps than spiking from 1-5fps

#32 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

View Postbetocorp, on 08 November 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

No luck here guys...

They awansered my ticket and said that they really dont want us to modify the .cfg so locked server side almost all vars to improuve stability.

So sad to hear that and I give up to mke the game smooth... It is a lot better a crash or another in 15-20fps than spiking from 1-5fps

So the custom user.cfgs are worthless now?

#33 betocorp

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostOw Chi, on 08 November 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

So the custom user.cfgs are worthless now?

My fps:
Closed beta 15-20 (my custom .cfg all settings works)
Last CryEng update 10-15 (my custom .cfg almost all settings works)
6th patch 4-7 (my custom .cfg started to fail in some critical settings)
8th patch 1-2 with spikes of 0.2-0.5 (my custom .cfg wont work at all)

I can see now trees, water, snow, fog, detail, useless things moving, lights, sun, sky. All things look more beautifull, but I see them in pictures when my screen froze for 5seconds.

Yes, .cfg now is useless (at least all major performance settings, cant confirm if all) and game is unplayable to low end specs until some patches when they "optimize". Looking that in 3 months the fps on game low setting only get worse, there is no any way to go.

edit: typos

Edited by betocorp, 08 November 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#34 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

Custom .cfgs work for me.

#35 Al Bert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Maybe this sounds rather dumb but whenever I took a look at mz user.cfg, it is a 0 Byte sized file with - of course - no content. So much I would like to work with it, so far it has been useless for me. And I tried following the steps in the OP, but it had no effect.

Any help?
Al Bert

#36 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

View PostYaros525, on 07 November 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Don't know what devs changed in Nov'06 patch, but performance got much worse for me, will look at cvars again. Brawls are around 25 fps or less, was twice of that before. Caustic is unplayable for me. Don't think it's graphics code turtling the game, but netcode changes instead.

I see ~50% GPU and ~40-60% CPU usage, so...its just slow-coded.
It has something to do with line-of-sight trace, since looking at the clear scenery gives me nice 60 fps (sys_MaxFPS = 60) but once there are mechs onscreen, it gets much much worse.

Or, it's a temporary counter-memory leak measure, since I have 1- 2 sec freezes from time to time.

P.S. add gp_mech_hide_self_shadow = 0 to enjoy animated self-shadow. )

I experienced the same thing with the latest Nov6th patch... performance took a big hit, with Forest Colony being the worst

I was not using any cfg editing... I only used the lowest settings possible using the in game menu.

so now i'm going to try to use a custome cfg file to see if I can tweak enough to play the game again

#37 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I think my best bet at this point is a fresh install and try to use the in game settings as low as possible.

Has anyone tried that?

#38 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

View PostSirBlackhOle, on 08 November 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

The only problem I have so far is frozen city is waaaaaay to bright. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks!

See my post on HDR settings further up.

#39 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Custom configs work just fine.

I've adjusted the user.cfg file for low-mid range pcs - posted below. Adjust values as needed. This user.cfg is based on the newest PGI low settings, and combines that with some minor tweaks to get better visual quality.

Solid map like forest colony frost runs 20-30 FPS for the most part, caustic is stable too. Forest colony normal continues to give serious FPS problems & crashes at times.

Spoiler

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 09 November 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#40 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Ok, conflicting information here...

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 09 November 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Custom configs work just fine.

I've adjusted the user.cfg file for low-mid range pcs - posted below. Adjust values as needed. This user.cfg is based on the newest PGI low settings, and combines that with some minor tweaks to get better visual quality.

View Postbetocorp, on 08 November 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

No luck here guys...

Which is it?!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users