How To Make User.cfg Work Again (+ Patched Sys_Spec* Files)

284 replies to this topic

#41 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Tried both the patch and setting attributes to zero. Neither seems to make the game accept my user.cfg file. Any help would be appreciated.

#42 BladeXXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostAvatarofWhat, on 09 November 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Tried both the patch and setting attributes to zero. Neither seems to make the game accept my user.cfg file. Any help would be appreciated.

Which of your user.cfg commands are NOT accepted?

Within the last patch Yaro's seems to lower the fps more then in helps... I have to try Pada's one...

@Al Bert: what do you expect having a 0-byte user.cfg?

#43 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostBladeXXL, on 09 November 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Which of your user.cfg commands are NOT accepted?

Within the last patch Yaro's seems to lower the fps more then in helps... I have to try Pada's one...

I assume they are not accepted because I can't see any visual difference and the fps remains the same if not a bit lower. I am using Yaros config. I'll try Pada's config as well and see if I can notice any difference, ill post the results tomorrow when I wake up since its very late here. As of the latest patch even the command to turn on Bitchi'n betty does not seem to work anymore. I'm not sure if any user.cfg commands do work, but I have not noticed any that do. I followed the instructions to the letter and I'm not exactly sure what part of the process is the problem.

#44 Devil God

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

i changed the sys_spec to 0 in attributes.xml under my username profle

then open the game to drag the setting to left to set them to the lowest, and save it

now the sys_spec under attributes.xml all go back to 1 except shadow is 0, but I still see shadows in the game

the user.cfg file has 0 kb in it ???

i am new to this, and can anyone explain in more detail ?

i try this is because i have memory leak issue, and the graphic glitch ( slow dow or lag ) after 3 games

i have to restart the game every 3 games, and it's annoying, so I want to see if manual lower the graphic will help or not

thanks in advance

#45 Dreddix

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 09 November 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Custom configs work just fine.

I've adjusted the user.cfg file for low-mid range pcs - posted below. Adjust values as needed. This user.cfg is based on the newest PGI low settings, and combines that with some minor tweaks to get better visual quality.

Solid map like forest colony frost runs 20-30 FPS for the most part, caustic is stable too. Forest colony normal continues to give serious FPS problems & crashes at times.

Spoiler

When i use standart game low settings it is barely playable 15-23 FPS, and i have 5FPS bug every 7 game, so i restart client after every 5-6 game. When i use any *.cfg my in game fps is good, 40-60 fps, but 5FPS bug is every 2-3 game. Disturbing... What may cause such a behavior? why is it happening so often with using user.cfg?

#46 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

Ok tried Pada's config. I've noticed that my view of the cockpit was changed(sitting further back in the cockpit) so thats at least one thing that is accepted. However the levels still looked the same and there were no graphical changes. FPS also remained the same.

edit- the mouse sensitivity seemed different as well

Edited by AvatarofWhat, 10 November 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#47 tsk

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostDreddix, on 10 November 2012 - 07:50 AM, said:

When i use standart game low settings it is barely playable 15-23 FPS, and i have 5FPS bug every 7 game, so i restart client after every 5-6 game. When i use any *.cfg my in game fps is good, 40-60 fps, but 5FPS bug is every 2-3 game. Disturbing... What may cause such a behavior? why is it happening so often with using user.cfg?

The issue is likely connected to memory leak in VRAM.
As to the cause - it's a software problem and only decreasing VRAM usage may give you more time.
I wouldn't put much blame on custom configs unless they increase texture resolution - how fast 4FPS bug occurs depends mostly on amount of different graphic objects that game loads.
That means it will happen with different regularity depending on maps drawn / types of mechs in matches / time spent in mechlab etc.

Edited by tsk, 10 November 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#48 Dreddix

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

View Posttsk, on 10 November 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

The issue is likely connected to memory leak in VRAM.
As to the cause - it's a software problem and only decreasing VRAM usage may give you more time.
I wouldn't put much blame on custom configs unless they increase texture resolution - how fast 4FPS bug occurs depends mostly on amount of different graphic objects that game loads.
That means it will happen with different regularity depending on maps drawn / types of mechs in matches / time spent in mechlab etc.

I do not blame custom configs, i`m absolutely grateful for thouse! They are the only acceptable option to play this game!
I`m just compareing results. And results are very different. So i wanted to know why is it like that.
I did found out by my self long time ago, that VRAM i causing it, i tryed to find some program for VRAM cleaning, as there are programs for RAM memory, but i did not found any... Too bad.

#49 MatKall

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Yaros ! Your's low low low configs let me play since august ...now...ehh, pliz do smth ! :) Take out this damn textures out of this game ! :ph34r:

#50 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

View PostDevil God, on 10 November 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

i changed the sys_spec to 0 in attributes.xml under my username profle

then open the game to drag the setting to left to set them to the lowest, and save it

now the sys_spec under attributes.xml all go back to 1 except shadow is 0, but I still see shadows in the game

the user.cfg file has 0 kb in it ???

i am new to this, and can anyone explain in more detail ?

i try this is because i have memory leak issue, and the graphic glitch ( slow dow or lag ) after 3 games

i have to restart the game every 3 games, and it's annoying, so I want to see if manual lower the graphic will help or not

thanks in advance

THIS won't fix any memory leaks or fps bugs!!!

THIS is for people who want to tweak graphics via user.cfg...
If you don't and also have no experience "how to" ... just stay with the standard!

Just be patient with PGI working on performance improvements...

btw.: you have to move the sliders to the left and save first and then change ALL attributes containing the string sys_spec to 0!

#51 Wonderful Greg

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

No matter what I do, in what order etc. I can't desable shadows. After all changes to config files they still work. Even when in game setting menu say is't "off"

#52 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I have tried the latest user.cfgs and still had crappy FPS. Uninstalled, reinstalled and without touching the files just set it to low spec. And now it's MUCH better, I top out at around 40 FPS and get down to 20ish. Doesn't look all that great but it's a big improvement.

YMMV

#53 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostWonderful Greg, on 11 November 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

No matter what I do, in what order etc. I can't desable shadows. After all changes to config files they still work. Even when in game setting menu say is't "off"

did you add e_Shadows = 0 to user.cfg AND set <Attr name="OptionCfg.sys_spec_Shadows" value="0"/> in attributes.xml?

#54 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

sure wish the location of the files we are suppose to change was given. alot this does for non savy comp users.

#55 Yaros525

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts
  • LocationKiev, Ukraine

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Here's my latest config.

Squeezed some little fps, but it has several major advantages:
[] No freezes, zero drops to the desktop. (It may give you black screen on launch for the very first time, after that all will be ok)
[] No overbright Arctic.
[] No (Forest) blackout while heavy laser action (or glowing Catapults) onscreen.
[] No more muted sounds, ever.

> Bottled max fps at 60, it keeps your GPU COOL while vsync is disabled. No like? sys_MaxFPS = XX
> FOV is 65. cl_fov = XX to change
> Mouse sensitivity is at default. Uncomment cl_sensitivity and set yours.
> Still have shadows (/me likes); e_shadows=0 to remove.

>>> Delete Cache folder before start.

Comment! :)

Spoiler

Yours Yaros.

#56 Lufos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

thank you. i will test this tomorrow :-)

#57 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Yaros... trying this one tonight

***update... I can't say that it helped my framerates all that much... but I was able to remove the shadows... and it also removed the very annoying blurr effect for the horizon that occurs about 500+ meters

Edited by Dagger6T6, 12 November 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#58 Onyx Rain

• 1,017 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, EARTH MK II

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Ok I have a couple User.cfg files that are working which are for lower end systems, even more so then the yaros v1.2 (I put "r_TexturesStreaming=0" at the end of each one. Don't know if it was needed, but didn't seem to hurt)

I've had a real hard time hitting 30fps, even with custom configs... I believe both these configs have given me over 30 fps. The fps is best the first 4 matches after a client restart, but remain over 30 much of the time 10 games in. River City seems to run the worst for me, at around 20-27fps. I hit over 30 fps on forest colony most of the time. When adding or changing configs it may be good to delete your shader folder first before restarting the game. Setting the processor priority did seem to help some.

Other things that have helped me...

Keeping my CPU as cool as possible. (I actually have my case on its side with a 2ftx2ft box fan blowing into it. I did this because my fan pins holding it to the cpu are broke, and I use a 2lb weight to make sure the fan is in contact but the fan may help you too) :)

Getting as many unnecessary processes shut down as possible (except ones for performance booting utilities like game booster)

Game booster 3.5 beta:
http://www.freenew.n...beta/545118.htm
(Old beta before they partnered with Razer, still works great...no sign up or waiting)

Game booster razer edition (gotta sign up for this beta)
http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster
(Gotta wait till you get into beta to DL this)

Using utilities like Advanced system care 5's turbo boost feature, ram cleaner, etc..etc...
http://download.cnet...tml?tag=mncol;1

I use Blade's patch with both of these configs...

This first one I forget where it came from but it has been tweaked for low end pc specs...
(I think frozen city is fine on this one...but laser glow (r_glow = 0) may be turned off which some people don't like. You're fairy won't glow either. Performance from both configs in this post were about the same for me)

Spoiler

This one is based on one of Yaro's configs, I just took settings down even further....
(This one could use some tweaking to get frozen city to not be so bright, but I just use thermal on it anyways so no biggie for me)

Spoiler

If you fool with any of these and get even better FPS then my versions please let me know, because I'm always looking for better fps even at the expense of graphics.

*Disclaimer*
I have no idea what most of this stuff does. I have learned/inferred how to tweak these configs by reading the forums and comparing various configs to see what they each changed, added or took away and then experimented with the settings, sometimes mashing 2 or more configs together. Some of my changes may be unnecessary, detrimental to fps, or give you crap graphics.

What I do know is in the game's current state these 2 configs have worked best for me, and as good if not better then any others. I was hard pressed to get over 25 fps, and now I routinely hit 30-45 fps. I'm getting the best fps I've ever gotten in this game.

Edited by Onyx Rain, 13 November 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#59 MonnieRock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNeptune Beach,Florida,USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hello Everyone,

Are there any Max cfg's for really high end systems?

Does enabling multi gpu help with SLI?

I have everything set on very high and still 60 FPS+, would like to take it up a notch if possible.

Thank you,
Monnie

#60 josephlouislahure

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users