#41 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

View PostRAM, on 05 November 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

No MechWarrior (or indeed Battletech) game was ever $20 new upon release.

(I do concede that the MPBT: Solaris box was $20 iirc, but that might have been on sale and you still had to pay connection charges)

RAM
ELH

I bought the 'new' 25th box for 25 dollars. Closest I can manage.
The PC games have been 50 dollars for as long as I can remember. Maybe the xbox live games were sub-50.

#42 MouseNo4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 630 posts
  • LocationVictoria Australia

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

View PostJings, on 05 November 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

I must say the following though: I've already got plenty of hard journeys in my life. I play video games to have fun, not to work even more. When I finish a big, complicated 3D model and render it out I think "Yay, I've accomplished something - It wasn't terribly fun, but the end result is what matters!"

When I play a video game, if it's telling me to work for my fun then I'll say "How about no, all these other games are offering me fun now."

If your after instant gratification, your playing the wrong game. Hell, go find a singleplayer game, enter GOD mode cheat and conquer to your hearts content.

#43 Dodger79

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostRiceyFighter, on 04 November 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

I honestly think 20$ for an Atlas is a very good price point. You are buying the biggest mech with the biggest load out. The Atlas K is the exception. Just earn your XL engine.

Remember all these can be earned by saving up money. Except the Hero Mech which isn't that great in the long run.

The biggest Mech with the biggest loadout _currently_. A Daishi is triple the cost of an Atlas in lore. If this translates into MWO, a single Clan Assault would cost between 50 and 60$. That is the price of a retail game...

Do not misunderstand me, i know that PGI needs to make money out of this and i wish they make money, because aside all its flaws i really like this game and want it to stay. But i cannot understand their decisions on the pricing. For example: there are no microtransactions where you explore a nice feature for only little dollars and you can simply click "buy". You have to buy MC first and the cheapest package is around 7$, which might be more then a player want to spent from a spontaenous decision. Then the pricing itself with single Mechs at half the costs of a whole retail game, where you, additionally, have to buy one of the bigger MC-packages first, not knowing what to spend the remaining MC for. And what i read about the paint jobs worries me, too. It said, that a bought paint scheme "erases" formerly existing paint jobs. Does that mean that i pay for something that sends my formerly bought paint schemes right to the junkyard and therefore i cannot use them anymore / switch between all my paintwork I HAVE PAID REAL MONEY FOR?!?

Honestly, how does PGI suppose to earn money this this kind of business model, where nothing cheap can be bought spontaenously and even bought features vanish and all that on this quite high pricing?

I myself would spend real money for a Mech if it costs between 5-10$ and when i can pay for it directly, not leaving me with a tiny amount of MC i cannot use (but have to pay for...) just to skip the grinding. But 20 bucks is too much for a digital item in a game nobody knows how long it will exist. I would throw out a few bucks for a paintwork, but again only when i can pay for it directly without having to purchase an overprized package of MC and only, if it remains in my stock when i decide to buy another one. I definetly will not pay for erasing bought items, that's just ridiculous...

#44 Dodger79

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostLandsharkk, on 05 November 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

Doing some testing of my own I was able to average about CB 553,328 per hour using the Trial mechs with PUG's only. During that same time, match length averaged about 8 minutes and 30 seconds. That means it averages just over 7 matches per hour.

If you wanted to max out all the jenners it would take about 9 million CB total. That's roughly 18 hours of non-stop grinding (129 matches), if you just saved up enough to buy all 3 at once. Then you need to actually play each of those jenner mechs long enough to get XP to unlock all the pilot stuff, plus another few million CB (read: Several more hours of playing) to get enough CB to cover the cost of buying your own weapons/equipment for your bought mechs.

In the end, just to max out the jenner (buy them all and unlock all XP), you are looking at what, like 40 hours of playing (280+ matches)? And that's at the low end.

Now let's say you want to max out the Atlas. You need 43.2 MILLION CB to buy all of the Atlas mechs. That's over 86 hours of grinding (or 602 matches), and that's BEFORE you add the time/cost for weapons/equipment and for the XP needed to unlock the pilot skills. You are easily looking at 120+ hours of playing for that (at least 840 matches).

Your maths are not fair to the game. Why should i grind in one Mech too a point where i can buy 3 Mechs at once? As a founder playing mostly Assaults i played my founder Atlas as long as it took me too afford another Atlas-chassis. During this time i earned enough XP to unlock master level. Now i am running my second Atlas until i can afford the third one. I'm still missing some millions of C-Bills, but i already have enough XP on this chassis to unlock all elite skills and i will have enough to unlock master as soon as i have enough money for the third chassis. There simply is no reason to grind for all the Mechs first and then start grinding for the XP. Combine it and you will be through with it much faster.

#45 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostRiceyFighter, on 04 November 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

Then it comes down to, How will the developers going to make money? If the developers make the game entirely easy, no one is going to pay for some premium content or mechs.

Everyone complains about bug fixes and more content, but we going to have to pay for it somehow. Yes things can be a bit expensive but overall it keeps the game running.

Option A ) Play for a week in your trial mech and you will get enough C-Bills for a hunchback, centurion, or jenner

Option B ) Fork out 5 to 10 dollars to start out.

Honestly that is pretty dang cheap to start out, other games like WOT requires probably 50 dollars to get a foothold on the game.

F2P games make money off large player bases opting to pay for small things.

PGI seems to have gone the other way... that of train simulator... where a dedicated fan-base forks over cash bc they can't get the goods anywhere else. This may be even further flawed because it's not that hard to just grind the c-bills for an atlas by pugging a jenner... maybe a day? two? In premades that's 3x faster.

#46 Matist

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFort Pierce, FL

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

So a light mech costs a soda and a couple candy bars. A medium mech costs the same as a lunch combo at Subway. An assault mech is a steak dinner.

I don't get the hate on the prices.

I've paid MC on 2 cats, 2 hunchies, an atlas, a couple mech bays and 31 days of premium time. I have 50k exp sitting on my HBK-4SP which I've found to be the funnest mech for me. I didn't think the prices were unreasonable, especially considering how easy it is to earn cbills to buy them outright if you're prefer to do that.

My only real complaint is I wish it was easier to test drive them. I do like in LoL how they have a ton of champs and when they cycle them into the weekly free lineup you basically get the full experience with them. Trial mechs should earn exp and let you load them out. Also there needs to be weekly sales.

#47 AllGamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 331 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in innersphere

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

it looks good to me

the Mechs are well worth it

now if they would only provide proper crossfire support, then I'll be happy

#48 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Seein this list just makes me wish even more that they used money instead of MC as pricin points. If I want a Cicada I should be able to spend 6 bucks (a fair price point, I admit) and get my Cicada. I don't want to have to spend 12 or 15 bucks to get my 6 dollar Cicada :)

#49 Aeron Sley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

These prices are VERY high. $20 bucks for an Atlas in a game with no content, no matchmaking to speak of, no Clan or Community tools, and yet think they are ready to take this to open beta.

Anyway, if significant changes do not happen soon in a positive direction, we will be moving on to other games, and this will become the latest "Shadowbane". They may not notice a couple hundred of us leaving, but I am certain that we are not the only group that has about had it with this.

#50 Penance

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

http://www.popsci.co...-05/man-machine

#51 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

20$? highway robbery, but hey people forked out $120 for beta acces to an incomplete game, so I can't blame them for thinking prices should be high. I however will never give them a dime at this juncture. Maybe someday MWO turns into a more in-depth game worthy of purchase, but that day is not today.

PGI's approach here should have been tons of mechs for lower prices. Imagine if they put in a lot of the mechs that have never been in a game ( like the cataphract) or even specific runs like: the complete 3025 line up or the 3050 line up. Now you have my attention and maybe my money.

#52 Landsharkk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Locationnear Seattle, WA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 05 November 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

Why does everyone say that they need to play for a week to get a mech? I saved enough money for two atlases in a five days of playing or so ... Given ou only do this once, it isn't that bad.

View PostDodger79, on 05 November 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

Your maths are not fair to the game. Why should i grind in one Mech too a point where i can buy 3 Mechs at once? As a founder playing mostly Assaults i played my founder Atlas as long as it took me too afford another Atlas-chassis. During this time i earned enough XP to unlock master level. Now i am running my second Atlas until i can afford the third one. I'm still missing some millions of C-Bills, but i already have enough XP on this chassis to unlock all elite skills and i will have enough to unlock master as soon as i have enough money for the third chassis. There simply is no reason to grind for all the Mechs first and then start grinding for the XP. Combine it and you will be through with it much faster.

I congratulate you both on your founders/premium bonus XP and CB. For the rest of us Trial players, my original post is more in line with our (and the majority of MWO players) experience.

#53 Duck Hunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

WRONG!

Real price would be a few billion dollars per mech.

#54 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostAaron DeChavilier, on 05 November 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

20$? highway robbery, but hey people forked out $120 for beta acces to an incomplete game, so I can't blame them for thinking prices should be high. I however will never give them a dime at this juncture. Maybe someday MWO turns into a more in-depth game worthy of purchase, but that day is not today.

PGI's approach here should have been tons of mechs for lower prices. Imagine if they put in a lot of the mechs that have never been in a game ( like the cataphract) or even specific runs like: the complete 3025 line up or the 3050 line up. Now you have my attention and maybe my money.

People fork out 20 bucks for just a skin in LoL. People fork out 50 bucks for a tank in WoT. 20 bucks for a mech is a good deal in the f2p market.

#55 Dodger79

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostLandsharkk, on 05 November 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

I congratulate you both on your founders/premium bonus XP and CB. For the rest of us Trial players, my original post is more in line with our (and the majority of MWO players) experience.
Being a founder or having premium does not change a thing in this matter. You do not have to grind for 3 Mechs in a trial and _then_ start playing for the xp. You grind for the first Mech, play for it's xp and buy the next Mech from the C-Bills you earn by doing this. There is no point in waiting until you can afford all 3 Mechs necessary for the pilot skills.

#56 Imagine Dragons

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostSchrottfrosch, on 05 November 2012 - 01:53 AM, said:

Ok just to compare these prices to WoT, the only other similar game to that matter: 2500 gold is 10 € - a MAUS tank is roughly 6 Million of their credits. 1 Gold tranlates into 400 Credits:
2500 * 400 = 1 million credtits = 10 € for 1 million credits
10€ * 6 = 60 € for their biggest tank atm
US Dollar is at 1,2839 €
So 60 * 1,2839 = 77,034 $ for a MAUS tank

In that light - 20$ for an Atlas is CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View PostJings, on 05 November 2012 - 01:56 AM, said:

Something has gone horribly wrong with either the layout, the mathematics or my reading comprehension if a tank in WoT costs 77 THOUSAND dollars.

A Maus costs around ~6 million silver

1 gold = 400 silver

It will cost around 15,000 gold, which translates into a $100 gold package for 25,000 gold...

#57 VanillaG

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostJings, on 05 November 2012 - 01:56 AM, said:

Something has gone horribly wrong with either the layout, the mathematics or my reading comprehension if a tank in WoT costs 77 THOUSAND dollars.

International Tip of Day - Some countries uses the comma as the decimal separator instead of a period.

#58 Raalic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 483 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Wait for the Timberwolf!

24,233,124 C-Bills for the stock variant (or thereabouts with the conversion)

2498.3697 C-Bills = 1 MC

9700 MC

$0.004779 per MC

$46.37

OUCH

Edited by Raalic, 05 November 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#59 rgreat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 851 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Just buy it with C-Bills.

#60 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostMatist, on 05 November 2012 - 07:50 AM, said:

So a light mech costs a soda and a couple candy bars. A medium mech costs the same as a lunch combo at Subway. An assault mech is a steak dinner.

I don't get the hate on the prices.

I've paid MC on 2 cats, 2 hunchies, an atlas, a couple mech bays and 31 days of premium time. I have 50k exp sitting on my HBK-4SP which I've found to be the funnest mech for me. I didn't think the prices were unreasonable, especially considering how easy it is to earn cbills to buy them outright if you're prefer to do that.

My only real complaint is I wish it was easier to test drive them. I do like in LoL how they have a ton of champs and when they cycle them into the weekly free lineup you basically get the full experience with them. Trial mechs should earn exp and let you load them out. Also there needs to be weekly sales.

It's too expensive for what it is, especially the bigger mechs, who are of questionable worth right now. If they were 3-10, instead of 8-25, no one would really care.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users