Would you pilot a Quad Mech / Quad Mechs (merged)

518 replies to this topic

#21 Xyph3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 213 posts
  • LocationRight behind you, in his AC/20 Raven

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

Haven´t the Hell´s horses got a BADASS quad `Mech with a HUGE (and by that i mean REALLY HUGE) AC mounted onto it?
i remember having read about it in "Test of Vengeance" but i cant recall the Mech´s Name..

#22 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

I really dont understand a lot of hatred for quads, there are so many more mechs taht are completely rubbish even when compared to the "flawed" quad designs (which were i believe "fixed" later on) scorpion and goliath,

#23 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

@Xyph3r: I think you mean this one:
http://www.sarna.net...hunder_Stallion

#24 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

View Poststormeris, on 15 April 2012 - 02:09 AM, said:

I dont like Armored core, too anime for me. AND since when did mechwarriors pilot bipeds exclusively? there a lot of good quads, and even a tripod...though only one i think, Ares

The only quads I know of in this time period are the scorpion and the goliath.

#25 Gigaton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationDieron District Gymnasium, learning to pilot 'Mechs until July

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

I hope we get at least the 25 ton Tarantula once it becomes canonical in 5 years. One advantage for quads could be stability. It's not as easy to knock down something standing on four legs and with low center of balance.

As for the usual "no it's too Anime, not MW" comments, quad legged giant robots are actually far more realistic than 2 legged ones. Though both are still very unrealistic due to ground pressure issues (even if technology to build them was practical otherwise).

Tarantula:
Spoiler

Edited by Gigaton, 15 April 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#26 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Again and Again! :)
YES to Quads ! :P
They're a a part of BattleTech!

The current canon era fits perfect to QuadMechs like Goliath and Scorpion. Unfortunately they're unseens!
The lil and beautiful Tarantula isn't unseen, but we will not see it until 3055.

If the Devs could imple it well, the Tarantula could be one of the best recconaissance mechs in the game. Very fast and agile. It will be one of the most maneuverable mechs out there. With two Medium Lasers and one Streak SRM-2, the ZPH-1A isn't really strong and powerfull, but its max. speed of 130 km/h (173 km/h with MASC), 8 jumpjets, 360 degree torso twist and better stability compensates the lack of its armaments. QuadMechs like Tarantula could be nice alternates to some light bipedal BattleMechs and would give the game variety.

The ZPH-1A Tarantula is one of my personal fav. mechs in the BT-Universe!
Thumbs up for Quads :D

Posted Image
ZPH-1A Tarantula of the Black Omen mercenary unit.

Edited by The_Birdeater, 15 April 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#27 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

I dont see the problem of scorpion and goliath being unseens, since only their original artwork is supposed to be unseen, they could easily be used with their reseen design or maybe FD could make some original concepts, i really doubt being unseen is an issue here, and "tarantula" is my all time favorite mech :3 scorpion being second, and i said Armored core itself is too anime, not quads, armored core is just mechs flying god knows were at idiotic speeds,

#28 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

What about Xanthos? It was already in service (extinct by 2nd SW) and it is made by... Capellans!

It was another project after the cancellation of the Catapult and it was (is) massive. 100 tons of full quadripedal glory, the grandfather of all quad mechs and a bearer of a nice arsenal of AC/20 (3 tons of ammo), PPC, SRM-6, 3 medium lasers and one small one to reach those magic 100 tons. I wonder how fast something like that is. :P

Posted Image

I'm fully for integration of these mechs, but they do really suck, or are extinct by our time and used a lot later in the story. :)

Edited by Adridos, 15 April 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#29 Roh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, US

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 15 April 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

rough ride or not. im down with the scorpion design. hell if the kids can scream for urbies and bronies, why cant the adults call out for quads.

I am not a "kid" and I would really love to see the Urbanmech adjusted a bit to see real usefulness in MWO. I think it can be done fairly easily. But that aside I also LIKE quad mechs as well. I wouldn't expect them to go in early but I would like the game to take them into account on the technical side so they can be added later. And I cant really see any good arguments against them. It's almost as bad as the "Hands are stupid! No hands on mechs!!!" rabble.

#30 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 15 April 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

mechwarriors pilot bipeds exclusively.

Ah really?

#31 MajDisaster

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAurora, CO

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Personally never liked the quads. Just the amount of work required to keep them running is staggering. I don't see them being very effective in game if they eat all your C-bills after every mission for just normal repairs

#32 Alicorn

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Actually, it would be far easier to keep a quad from tripping over its own feet than to keep a biped from falling on its face every step. For that matter, it would probably be possible to pilot quads completely free of neurofeedback and gyros. (Barring the lore, of course.)
Personally, I like the quads - they're a marginal group on the battlefield, and add some extra flair. Theyare lower to the ground, assisting in hiding, and can't be legged with the lost of just one limb, even if they don't have torso twist to help them. (They'd be best set as snipers and hit-and-run skirmishers, as a truly mixed brawl would leave them hard pressed to track targets.) Unfortunately, they are a marginal group of Battlemechs as a whole. As such, there are not many options, especially at the starting time period.

#33 Evedro Solais

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 179 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Great_Turtle Don't forget the retardedly hard to kill Great Turtle :) After the Tarantula this would be the next quad I would want to see put in, at the appropriate time of course.

#34 MajDisaster

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAurora, CO

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Speaking of tripping over their own feet wonder if they will let us Gyro crit a mech?

#35 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

There's BT canon and then there's MW "canon". Quads sound sort of like heresy to MW vets but not to BT players. If PGI can make it balance and work well then I'm cool with quads. I think what will happen though is that slow=dead regardless of the quad's firepower. Most players dont want to sit back and be a support mech and most other players dont want to hang back and defend their quad.

There is an anime flavor to quads though that I want to avoid for the same reason I generally dont want to see melee and hand held weapons. Again though, if PGI can balance it and make it feel like Mechwarrior then I can deal with something new.

#36 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 15 April 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

go hit up armored core 5, its got biped triped quads treads hovers, you name it.

mechwarriors pilot bipeds exclusively.

umm, no.

There are quad mechs in battletech. There's also a tripod mech at ~130 tons or so. Think its called hydra or something.

That said, the turning rate on them would be atrocious. They're much more useful in open field ops.

Edited by BerryChunks, 15 April 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#37 Blechritter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

in this timeperiode there are only two quats scorpio and goliath

or not???

#38 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostBlechritter, on 15 April 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

in this timeperiode there are only two quats scorpio and goliath

or not???

Nope, the Clans created the Fire Scorpion in 2834.

#39 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 15 April 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

There is an anime flavor to quads though that I want to avoid

How in the hell is there any anime flavor to quads? I don't even recall any anime that actually USE quad mechs (Except for Ghost in the Shell with its Tachikomas, and those are markedly different from any Battletech design). Most quads are rather slow-ish, and a good deal of them are decent, but not outstanding (except the Tarantula), designs.

I have no clue how people are getting any sort of anime out of this. I guess its like the word "hipster" or "mary-sue". Its long lost its original meaning and people use it to describe things they don't like.

#40 flyn taggart

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

quads mechs? oh hell yes! but only two had been named so far you'll for got the goliath,chane out the ppc and the two lrm racks, and add a long tom, that might stop some of you people when your mech are junked at their starting point or maybe not! :)

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users