Repair Bills Discourage Playing With Own Mechs

89 replies to this topic

#81 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Economy is another thing that needs serious changes. But GL getting Piranha to ever look at it again.

#82 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

There really shouldn't be any way for you to lose money on a round, regardless of how you performed or how expensive a mech you are running. That effectively creates a pay-to-play model where only paying players can use certain tech, which is a bad road to go down.

Really, keeping repair costs where they are right now but capping repairs at what you make in a round would solve pretty much the whole issue. At worst, you can keep using the same mech forever. So if you really want to save up cbills with trials you can do so, but at least it's not all for nothing, which is kind of what happens if you build a mech and then realize you can't use it because you lose money every round.

#83 Virtusx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostTesunie, on 14 December 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

My point more so is, if you paid 4,000,000 for that XL Engine, then in a more realistic sense it should be costing you up to 4,000,000 to repair or replace that engine. It doesn't, so the game already reduces your repair costs.

It was like that in closed beta at one time, like XL engines cost like a few million to repair, it did not go well. Even with much more money for a win, you ran the XL one and lost it and you dropped a few mil.

View PostTesunie, on 14 December 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

If I own a mach truck, and I totally crush it, but want to pay to fix it up again, should it cost me the same to repair as it would a small compact car? (Compact as in, not crushed to the size of a can! Bad joke! BAD!) There is just more to fix. The game shows that is all.

I liked your post but I want to point something out, if you came to me and asked to rent the Mack truck then it will cost you a lot more than renting the compact car, yet in this game I get the same pay, so that is a problem and why people run cheap mechs. Damage bonus (or all bonuses) does not scale now but looks like it is being tweaked so we will have to see.

#84 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Told you.

#85 LogicSol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostFate 6, on 14 December 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

This is 100% a troll post.

Playing a cheaper mech = playing a trial mech. If I want to play my Atlas I shouldn't feel bad about it.
Not rearming means I will run out of ammo. I'm not going to load up my mech with more ammo than I need because I need the tonnage for other things.

My Primary mech is a CN9-AL, with ES, DHS, 3 Mlas, a LL, 2 SRM6s with 3 tons of ammo running a 210 STD engine.
Fully destroyed it costs about 70k to repair, It's average repair bill is between 35 and 45k. This means I make money every match I use it in, every time no matter what happens.
It's a blast to pilot and I average 400+ damage a match in it.
If I don't rearm I still have ~225 ammo in it, or 600+ damage worth of missile.

I have yet to reactivate my premium time(waiting for CW) and have made millions of CB's using that mech, while still piloting other more expensive mech(XL equipped).

Managing money is a skill, one this game requires. If you don't want to then pay for premium.
You don't have to run trial mechs to make money. You just have to find a fun build that is not expensive, and use it to supplement your more expensive mechs.

Edit:, ahaha, this is such an old thread I didn't realize I had posted almost this exact same thing on page one.
Maybe you should actually read the thread before calling someone a troll.

Edited by LogicSol, 14 December 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#86 BoomDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

If you don't have a high win rate (AKA pugging), you're going to struggle to make money.

Yes, you can run a cheap mech, but it took a lot of the fun out of it for me.

I finally buckled down and bought a month of premium time. Suddenly, I'm having a blast. Experimenting with builds, buying new mechs. That 50% bonus is added to your gross income for a match. I went from averaging between 10k and 70k a match, to 80k to 180k. While playing the mech I wanted to play.

I didn't mind ponying up the money, since I feel they earned at least 15 bucks out of me.

#87 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostBluten, on 14 December 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

Economy is another thing that needs serious changes. But GL getting Piranha to ever look at it again.

View PostKahoumono, on 14 December 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

I only run lights and mediums so I don't have any complaints. I think its part of the fun to grind it out.

lol one end of the spectrum and the other

#88 fribox

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Being punished for playing the mech you want to isn't exactly fun.

#89 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

View Postmalibu43, on 14 December 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Good. That was the whole point.

;)

Message received and taken as meant. Nothing like making a point my taking it to an extreme.

View PostSifright, on 14 December 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

the only people that this will ever happen to are those that splash out on MC and buy lots of mech bays.

Otherwise every one else is only getting 10% of the value of the mech they are selling so they can try new variants or chassises out, this eats a shitload of C-bills over time.

So your worry about drowning in cash isn't warranted.

If say everyone made, regardless of winning or loosing, about 8,000,000 c-bills each match they played, with almost no repair costs, you wouldn't be drowning in c-bills? That would be enough to buy a new mech after each round. Would that be about enough for everyone?

I think people don't want to grind forever to get something, but we do want to work on it. And, as a free to play account myself, I have as of yet to see a negative income. I run my Cicada with Endo-steel and FF. I've gotten completely wrecked and still at least seen some income. I can't say, as I just have it set to auto-repair/rearm. And I've used ACs, missiles and lasers.

I feel Endo-steel, FF and DHS should be far more of a rarity. In the time frame we are all playing for the game setting, it should be rare and expensive. Assaults are suppose to be fairly pricy. There is a reason most forces in this time frame used mediums, they are cheaper to make, maintain and can pack a good punch. I'm just saying the lore behind the game.

I understand people want the game to be fun. But if it's too easy, it will be like a lot of games I've been playing recently. Easy and boring. I don't want a game where I can get anything I want in a few moments. (Same as beating a game in a couple hours.) I kinda like the more realistic approach, seen as this is described more as a simulation and all. But I do get what you say, but understand what the rest of us are also saying too.

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 14 December 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

the economy isn't soooo bad i mean you worry about cbills that's what the trials are there for. even so i think this is far more in keeping with a solution as the mw2 merc game would pay more for bigger equipment you brought into battle. it makes a lot of sense and i'm sure it would offset the grievences between those running lights and assaults.

i just have a suspicion that too many people want easy mode in game and in mech lab.

If it's too easy... it's boring. But a lot of people are getting so use to having everything handed to them in a game, they just about expect it. I've played so many games where they just hand you everything and lead you by the nose, it's nice to see a game where you have to earn things again...

As for bigger pay for bringing bigger mechs... it shouldn't matter what mech you bring in. It should be more about the results. In older mechwarriors (I know this isn't the same game, stay with me here though), you got more points as a light weight when you caused damage to a heavy weight. It was based on damage by ton and gave modifiers depending upon your mech weight. Of course, I didn't find any lag shield in that game, but did feel lots of bots. I always laughed at movement bots. So easy to kill. Aim bots though... Gah.

My ending point is, if you bring in an assault, and do nothing in the match, then you shouldn't get paid much. However, you should cause enough damage to get a bonus with that. Maybe, they should increase the c-bills for damage if anything, not the repair costs.

View PostVirtusx, on 14 December 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

It was like that in closed beta at one time, like XL engines cost like a few million to repair, it did not go well. Even with much more money for a win, you ran the XL one and lost it and you dropped a few mil.

I liked your post but I want to point something out, if you came to me and asked to rent the Mack truck then it will cost you a lot more than renting the compact car, yet in this game I get the same pay, so that is a problem and why people run cheap mechs. Damage bonus (or all bonuses) does not scale now but looks like it is being tweaked so we will have to see.

You aren't renting your mech... but I think I see your point. If someone was hiring a mechwarrior for a fight, they probably would pay more for a heavier mech. However, view it like this, they are hiring you, the warrior. They don't care what mech you bring in, but they are giving you this much to fight for them. If you bring in an expensive mech and don't get to earn any bonuses, then they would see it as your fault for bringing in a mech that was more expensive than the income of your contract.

But I do see your point. Honest. I just don't feel that people who pilot expensive assaults with all the works should get a benefit just for bringing it in. Otherwise, why would you ride anything else? I know there would be more reasons why, but then people would be all over the Assaults even more, and then you would have farther abuse by those who wouldn't upgrade their mech's internals or armor to get even more money. It would become an over reward for Assaults.

#90 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

The big factor here is the one that crops up in just about all the threads on this forum.

Net code + Lagshield + No Collisions + ECM + Lower repair/rearm = Win

Fast Lights (with a half way decent pilot that knows to turn on his torrents during matches) have the ability to tear apart assaults. I can't hit a Raven that is going Dragon Ball Z all over the place with anything approaching reliability. But he sure can eat up my mech. Hopefully, this equation is not permanent and will be fixed. But as it stands now, I'm paying vast amounts of CBills to repair my non-FF armor each round when it gets chewed to crap by little light mechs. Bigger mechs, too. But I really don't mind trading paint with targets that I can return fire on.

There is a reason we are seeing more and more light mechs roaming the maps.

I will also argue that, right now in this iteration of the game, regular armor prices are to high. It costs more to repair 25% of the armor on my atlas than it does to repair both UAC/5s, 50% engine, 25% gyro, my entire right arm (with LL), the other LL in my center torso, and replace my ammo bins. Played around a bit with this, and it doesn't matter what equipment I get blown off, the armor replacement/repair costs more. I have a lot more armor than a light mech. Cool, I have to pay for that, sure. I simply think that the repair costs per point of armor are a bit to high.

Hopefully Tuesday I can get me my ECM equipped Stalker and balance part of that equation a bit. With everyone else... I'll call it here; people will choose the ECM variant 10:1 over any other variant. Other Stalker variants will be as rare as a Merlin in 3050.

:ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users