367 replies to this topic

#61 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostTopsytervy, on 21 April 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

The hand pistol can be disingaged so the Charger can use its one hand to pick up items. Just like the Battlemaster with its PPC.

Doesn't make a lot of sense since you wouldn't be able to pick it back up and use again once you dropped it. Why not just put it in a housing on the back of the forearm? Then you can shoot and pick things up, or shoot things you pick up!! :D

Loving the redesigns, but I have to agree with Ironhawk that some of them seem really frail and skinny. Also I think you should've just ignored the "pistol" on the Charger and placed the laser directly on the arm, pistol/rifle weapons for 'Mechs are just the dumbest idea ever.

Personally I like your second Marauder design over the first, never been a huge fan of the original Marauder, stupid little skeeter bug with a match on it's back. To skinny, to tiny, to round, I like your beefed up version much better, it looks like it's actually a war machine not toy. Have you seen ShimmeringSword's Marauder?

Edited by Kartr, 21 April 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#62 rolling thunder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSOUTHPORT,UK

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

View Postshortpainter, on 21 April 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

I was hesitant to show these. Re-designing Unseen Mechs can be trouble. The Marauder is a bench mark mech for any artist. The challenge is in interpreting the the original Marcoss artwork and converting it to the Mechwarrior universe and balancing the visuals so that Harmony Gold wouldn't sue and Battletech fans don't burn me at the stake!

Marauder
Posted Image

Ok i'm another Marauder fan boy,i can see bad points in this redesign but i can see potential. If you were to design a Mech based on a verbal direction of birdlike legs & a crab like arms ending in weapon pods i can't see how it could be much differant. I like the Whizzkids redesigned Marauder 2c but i also like this art work.As a concept piece i have very few issues with the relocated AC5 or the smaller weapon pods.I have no rear view with which to make an opinion but the original marauder does look as good leaving as it does when it's arriving on the battlefield ,so i'd like to see a rear view, The concept of the Marauder is to look meanacing. I suppose i'm being overly negative.
We'd all like to be able to use the original mech but if we can't i'd be happy to use this redesign & start building the Marauders reputation all over again.
As for your other artwork,the other Mechs don't mean as much to me as the Marauder so i'm less closed minded when it comes to redesigns but i do recognise skill & talent when i see it & you Sir have it in bucket loads.

Edited by rolling thunder, 21 April 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#63 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

I think unseens are something the fanbase needs to let go of before we can get them back.

That is, people foam at the mouth so much "NOT MY MARAUDER!" that they'll never get the designs back with that attitude, because no artist wants to be on the receiving end of such unanswerable criticism. If the fans want the unseens back, they need to drop that fanaticism. Yes, the unseens are awesome designs, but we have to remember that they're no longer our designs, and they haven't been for a very long time. If we ever want to see those chassis again, they're going to have to be redesigned. It might as well be a good one while we're at it.

Still, your Marauder could use a bit of work ( I think the dorsal canon should be more prominent, take a look at the Highlander for an example of what I'm thinking of). Still, the design is awesome, and its something I would definitely pilot. The Locust is just sublime, and you pretty much hit the nail on the head. You kept the thin, lanky feel of the original design while improving its appearance (the machine gun arms are a million times better than the original).

I'm dying to see more of your work.

#64 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 21 April 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

I think unseens are something the fanbase needs to let go of before we can get them back.

That is, people foam at the mouth so much "NOT MY MARAUDER!" that they'll never get the designs back with that attitude, because no artist wants to be on the receiving end of such unanswerable criticism.

Why is noone redesigning Shadow Hawk? I could forget about most of the original look (which is, hands down, a bit too anime), but the re-seen version is an insult to the mech itself. If someone tried to remake it, it could get a plausible design. But no, everyone has to remake 1000s of Marauders just to see them burried in a lot of criticism. :D

#65 kelmar6821

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

You sir, are awesome. Keep up the good work.

#66 John Talbert

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Ya marauder is a hard mech to redesign and have the plebs happy about it. I personally like the left rendition because it comes off more of a brawler then the right. AC5 (assuming that is whats mounted) appears smaller than the original.

you sir have some nice work there and a valiant attempt was made to modernize these icons. grats.

#67 Larry Headrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

I started playing the TT back in the 80s with a Locust, and love the origanal. The project phenix Locust... Ugh
Yours id love to take out for a spin. the only thing i would change is the uper leg needs to be shorter while keeping the lower the same.
something like this.
Posted Image
Not much difrence but i think it looks beter.
and now the marauder! In living color
Posted Image
and the archer
Posted Image
and the locust later

Edited by Larry Headrick, 21 April 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#68 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Id like to say that so far your re-design of the Marauder is the best Ive seen(apart from the Mektek version).
My only comment, the arm guns need to be bigger.
Instead of the little guns hanging down like you have here it needs those big guns that need to be feared.

Edited by agent_cooper, 21 April 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#69 Chatanith Raeven

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Great Job! these look awesome. Must see morezzzzzz!

#70 Jonas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHot Springs Ar.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

I liked them all do a Highlander and a Wolfhound would like to see what you can do with them.

#71 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Wow, would love to see this on DA and on the CBT forum just so I know everyone would see them :D

Only two other artist have impressed me as much as your work when it come to re-imagining the unseen;
Eriance; http://browse.devian...set=48#/d3jaaek
and Norsehound; http://browse.devian...archer#/d33wngn
http://norsehound.de...et=168#/d25kvto
http://norsehound.de...et=168#/d25t1pt

Can't wait to see more!

#72 Jadel Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Wow! These are all fantastic. While I concede that the Marauder isnt super maraudery I absolutely LOVE it. Its a brilliant mech. There is nothing about it I dont like.

I agree with a few other ppl on here though. Some of the other mechs legs look a tad to long and skinny. They look elegant rather than tough.

I think being able to draw like this would be the second thing I would download/upload into myself matrix style right after mad guitar playing skills. (the ladies love guitarists! :rolleyes:

Thankyou very much for posting these.

#73 rolling thunder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSOUTHPORT,UK

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:01 AM

View PostLarry Headrick, on 21 April 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Not much difrence but i think it looks better.
and now the marauder! In living color
Posted Image

& with the inclusion of some colour on the mech things look a whole lot better. Now if the colour scheme can be Gray with Black curvy stripes i'd be even more convinced :rolleyes: I like!
RT

#74 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

I've been thinking about it a bit, and I've come to the conclusion that the positioning of the arms is really all that stops me from thinking of this redesign as the Marauder. They make it look like the mech is standing straight up rather than hunched forward like the original Marauder. Moving the arms forward on the torso so the shoulders are not in a vertical line with the hips is really all that's needed to give it that "Maraudery" feel I think, which is also why the other version he posted looked more like a Marauder to me. Awesome mech in any case, but with the shoulders where they are now it reminds me a bit more of the clan Vulture/Mad Dog than a Marauder.

#75 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

Posted Image

In my opinion, this is by far the best Marauder redesign i've ever seen. Something between the beauty OG Marauder and a well done redesign! It looks beautiful to me. :rolleyes:
Man, i fell in love with this. Probably because it looks a bit like the original, but you've already said it. The OG can't be topped. I love this redesign.

#76 T0RC4ED

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

I think we should report Shortpanter to the Devs so maybe some of his redesigns can come to life in the game. Truely Incredible work!

#77 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

Good stuff. It's got very modern-looking armor plate design, but the 'Mech proportions also manage a sort of "old-school" feel to them.

#78 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

I liked this hunched over version better than the more upright one. My only suggestion is that the autocannon be enlarged a bit -- part of the Marauder's most menacing feel came from the gigantic turret over its cockpit, and the fluff for the MAD-3R Marauder says that the AC/5 is a 120mm cannon, which is pretty large.

#79 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

OP, I hope the dev team is taking notes over your shoulder...

#80 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostHayden, on 22 April 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

OP, I hope the dev team is taking notes over your shoulder...

One thing for sure, if Shortpainter wanted to show his friends that every 'Mech can look cool, it's a success so far.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users