440 replies to this topic

#261 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostTexAss, on 18 April 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

If it can hold energy in the arms, then ok, fine with me. At least better than 2 AC/2s.
But still has to show what it can offer against a Treb with JJs.

Can it jump higher?

For the love of all that is unholy... as has been stated an infinite amount of times before , at some point in the distant future ( 2014 I guess ) there might be weight limited drops , the fact that this is lighter than the other 2 will let some other heavier bruiser come in to play ... and who knows it might have conveniently "bad" hit boxes ( think raven ) and be desirable because of that.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 18 April 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#262 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Might as well bring up the matter of the ECM Spider as well, that was not until much later.

#263 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 616 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

But which variant can rock the dual AC-20? Isn't that the REAL question here? :)

#264 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostVincent Lynch, on 16 April 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

I don't think so. Mount a Gauss on it, and you get a Jump Sniper with a much thinner profile than the Cataphract Pop-Tart.
It should even be possible to mount a Gauss and a PPC into it, if you don't need max Speed. Voila, 25 point Alpha, difficult-to-hit poptart.

From one of my earlier posts:

Already tried to model that one out and it doesn't look good. With standard 4/6/4 movement (64kph), XL engine, Endo, No Ferro (not enough crits), and 10 HS, you can fit in the gauss and ER PPC. But with maximum armor you literally have 0 tons free for ammo. You'll have to drop armor for ammo, and it won't be pretty.

Should also point out that the jump jets at that weight class only weigh .5 tons each. So dropping the movement to 4/6/2 is a possibility, but you only gain one ton for that.

#265 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostTexAss, on 18 April 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

Ballistic meds are crap, even with JJs. I have all Trebs, I know that.

Our ballistics are just too heavy for them to make a decent build, or any build that is better than anything we already have.

I'm usually no one who talks bad about a mech, that isnt out yet but 2 ballistics as mains on a medium....not gonna work.

While I don't agree 100% with your sentiments I am mostly looking forward to Blackjack for the the variant with the heavy energy hard-points on the arms. I'm also sort of dreading the more ballistic focused variants which I'll need to unlock my elites for my preferred variation.

#266 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostTexAss, on 18 April 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

Ballistic meds are crap, even with JJs. I have all Trebs, I know that.

Um.. the ballistic Treb doesn't have JJs. :P

Also, pop-tarting in a Blackjack would be silly. You'd get cored on your second vault, and it would only take 2 enemy mechs to do it, in some cases 1. Blackjack JJs are likely better put to use for turning and maneuverability.

Speed limit is going to hurt the BJ more than it's ballistic slots will, sadly. Still, depending on the variants, I might give them a drive.

#267 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

As of April 18th 2013

After the last battle, he'd finally saved up for his cheese build. He'd been waiting for this battle with a lazy vigor, and now his palms were greasy as he was finally full, finally cheesy.

His role today was guarding the left flank. As they fanned out from the dropsite, his partner, a Jenner, repeatedly ran into him, supposedly ever vigilant for enemy light Mechs, which no one ever plays as due to a server-side hotfix. In the distance, he saw LRMs arching outward, toward his friends on the right.
"Right flank you have incoming LRMs, repeat, incoming LRMs."
"Roger, Standing in front of them!" replied one.
"We see it butthead." said another.
"Poptart, Poptart, Poptart, another Poptart, and another Poptart spotted!" shouted yet another, as they stood in front of each other, desperately trying to out PPC their opponents.
He realized they had their hands full of chips and two Mechs that Disconnected. His partner had still not spotted anyone due to draw distance, so he decided he had to rush the base.

He edged his Blackjack forward, with a quick, "Move up Leigh45xx, we're going to ignore that LRM Mech."
They swept their views left and right, looking for ambushes or flanking XL Poptarts; both occasionally jump jetting upward to get a better view to fire their PPCs and Gausses
"Poptart spotted" Leigh announced casually "engaging."
Which left the now briefly spotted, Cataphract to him. In a bizarre stroke of luck, the Cataphract jumpjetted to the top of a building to his right, allowing him a perfect profile of the Mech. He quickly swung up his weapons, and let loose.
Twin AC20s barked into action followed by quadruple small lasers, and he carefully timed his salvos to avoid getting busted for a macro. THTHOOM! MMBZZZZZZ! THTHOOM! MMBZZZZZ! his guns announced, as the Cataphract right arm exploded, rocking the enemy sideways. THTHOOM! MMBZZZZZ! THTHOOM! MMBZZZZZ! again, as the enemy turned towards him, taking two salvos to its right and centre torsos. It walked backwards, off the building, attempting to hide behind it.
"Poptart down but Poptart engaged, taking heavy fire" Leigh announced nonchallantly "I'll do what I can."
"Jorgensen and Stephenson have ragequit. Enemy Poptart and Poptart down. We're taking a beating here help would be nice." piped in a heavily engaged ally.
He raced as quickly as he could to the Cataphract, finding it a the very end of an alleyway as he jumped over a small building. He flicked his crosshairs on its back with a quick THTHOOM! MMBZZZZZ! into its exposed rear armour. The Cataphract turned slightly at the last second and took the entire salvo in the right torso, exploding into a shower of metal. The Mech survived however, and disappeared around a corner.
Turning to follow, he noticed Leigh45xx to his left, missing her Jenner's missing XL engine. The Poptart following her seemed to almost pause at the side of a turn, coming into it too quickly, and just avoiding hitting a building. His crosshair touched over it just then, and his THTHOOM! MMBZZZZ! salvo impacted it right in the dead centre of it's back, obliterating it in a rather spectacular explosion.
"Thanks" said Leigh "though I think the real battle starts now." He looked to the right and instantly knew what she meant.
A Poptart and Poptart spotted sporatically through the building cover, advanced on them.
"See that," he said, solemnly, "I'm ragequitting and whining on the forums."

Edited by gavilatius, 18 April 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#268 BigTrak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNorniron

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

^ funniest thing I have read in a long time gavilatius

#269 caseysrevenge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMaastricht netherlands

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

Whahaahaha great story gavilatius ;)

#270 Kalam Mehkar

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Yes, great read gavilatius! Strikes close to home... ;)

#271 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

Ballistic based or not, blackjack is automatic winner for having weapons mounted high up (as high as the cockpit view) and having a vertical traversal while at it...

numerous times in the game shots intended for enemies are hitting low obstacles instead because the weapon mounts on mechs are far lower than the cockpit view... often at the same height as many obstacles strewn around the damn battlefield.

And while the Hunchback have similar advantage with blackjack, it cannot traverse the weapon as it's fixed with the torso direction giving it limited gun depression and elevation angle.

after using Jaggermech for some time, it's a remarkable feeling to be able to pop up a hill showing no more than a sliver of your top and your gun, and fire at the enemy and being able to have certainty that if you can see the target then your gun can hit them short of an obstacle on the side at the same height as your own view.

(gotta wonder what to call them in BT, tanks would call them hull down and turret down respectively depending on how much is visible, but the terms obviously doesn't make much sense with mechs though the concept is the same).

#272 Loler skates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

awesome I can't wait to get a medium mech that can jump snipe.

Then all four classes can do it!

#273 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Looks like a mutant version of the Jagermech. Nothing like the original.

http://www.sarna.net...ck_(BattleMech)

Not that I am complaining. The redesign looks better. But it does not look like a Blackjack to me. Looks closer to a Rifleman (also not a bad thing).

#274 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

It seems like an ammunition dependent mech that might, be a good addition? But honestly, the Trebuchet has taken much of the medium roles. I have seen close combat trebuchets, long range, and brawlers. So I guess as new mech types will be brought online, the diversity of the mech will decrease. Since when the Catapult came out, long range cats, and short range cats were the rage. Now, all i have observed is long range cats. I guess that as times change, the game will change.
I welcome the new mech, and hope it will not change the game as severely as the Raven has.

#275 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 23 April 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Not that I am complaining. The redesign looks better. But it does not look like a Blackjack to me. Looks closer to a Rifleman (also not a bad thing).

I have to admit, I do like the original's cockpit "slit" better seen from the outside. From the pilot's seat however, I'm sure the "bubble" canopy will come in handy. :)

#276 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 23 April 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Actually
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Not actually that far apart... the 2 images were the ones from the trading card game for BT.

in comparison to Rifleman (ie: the Defender Destroid of Macross)
Posted Image

the arms basically were the only real part that gave the Rifleman feel, the other parts were pretty much how blackjack art designs were over time, but any similarities are expected which is not surprising since Rifleman (Defender Destroid) art design most likely influenced the art design over time.

Edited by Melcyna, 23 April 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#277 VikingN1nja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 607 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

don't really care spent $$ on mc and game seems more broken than when i started playing, hud teleportation and crazy imbalances 5-6 alpah strikes on a light with little effect yet an atlas can have its torso taken in one shot.

Edited by omegaorgun, 24 April 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#278 Asheron Storm

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

Now we just need a Firestarter.. A wicked Firestarter

#279 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

Inb4, on top of being slow and a medium (i.e. near-obsolete), it's about same size as Jagermech because mech sizes are completely random.

#280 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

So a *MEDIUM* mech as big as a Trebuchet (which is about as giant sized as an Awesome)? Hope the scale isn't too much out of whack, but then it would need to be since when it is introduced, the CT hitbox will need to be billboard sized.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users