Community Q&A 6 - MechLab

201 replies to this topic

#61 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

My only vast disappointment in an otherwise excellent set of reveals is the issue of decals, though I understand the reasoning.

I really hope they consider including a Black Ops style decal-creator if they're not allowing uploads, so that units can still get their own custom decals onto their 'mechs.

#62 Larry Headrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 18 April 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

This is essentially dead on.

I am so ready for this game.
Great job and I simply can't wait. (inner child is screaming. "Are we there yet?")

#63 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

View PostLima Zulu, on 18 April 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

I can't understand that: if hardpoints limit number of weapon (1 weapon = 1 hardpoint) - q/a #5, and if there is no hardpoits other than default weapons, what black magic helps to fit 2 medium lasers in place of one PPC (last one q/a)?!

Even I don't understand that. 1 to 1 weapon ratio is even mentioned in one of the answers here, as well. ;)

#64 wwiiogre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

On the Decals,

Perhaps they are using only decals already in canon, meaning they have license to use. FD has already used some esoteric unit decals and paint jobs based off I assume camo specs official paint jobs and insignias. So I am not really seeing a problem with this. But then again we have decided to stick with a totally canon unit ourselves. Just hoping they let us use the canon unit we have chosen.

chris

#65 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I can't understand that: if hardpoints limit number of weapon (1 weapon = 1 hardpoint) - q/a #5, and if there is no hardpoits other than default weapons, what black magic helps to fit 2 medium lasers in place of one PPC (last one q/a)?!

As I posted above, there is nothing that says PGI cant put EXTRA hardpoints (one being unused) if they feel like it or think it helps balance an otherwise weak mech.

#66 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

View Postarmitage, on 18 April 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

To clarify on the engine upgrade I think we are mainly curious what engine upgrade options we will have. Will they be available for small speed increases or just to stick with the canon speeds of 53kph 64kph 85kph.

excitement pending..

View PostRoh, on 18 April 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

I am getting the impression that you won't adjust engine speed at all. I think you will actually buy ENGINES. And certain engines will cause certain chassis to move at certain speeds. Could be wrong but that is sort of what i got out of the answer they gave.

In canon the engine speeds are because completely different engines are used, IIRC. Since no 'Mech company produces an engine that makes a 'Mech move at 59kph, that speed is likely non selectable. The limits to what engines you can mount are based on weight (XL engines will allow you to move faster at the same weight at the double cost of critical slots and the chance of getting cored on your left torso). The lowest speed engine would probably be the Annihilator/UrbanMech's 32.4kph engine, which they used to give them the maximum tonnage available to load their AC/10 weapon(s). Pending Dev confirmation

View PostAnsel, on 18 April 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Lets say I take an Awesome, normally with 3 PPCs, 1 small laser. Then I modify it to its maximum theoreitcaly extent, that is to say 10 medium lasers. Will this be possible, or could the hardpoint system further restrict so there's a maximum number of smaller weapons that could replace a larger one to help prevent crazy boating? –CapperDeluxe

[DAVID] The hardpoint system will be related to how many weapons are in the default loadout, and not how many slots those weapons take up.

Isnt this system a little rigid? If i got this right you can only downgrade weapons because you couldnt fit a bigger weapon into the hardpoints even if you reduced armor. –Rutok

[DAVID] Hardpoints will limit the number of weapons that can be placed in a location on the ’Mech. The number of slots those weapons can occupy is not predefined (outside of the maximum number of slots in the location). So let’s say that I’m allowed 2 energy weapons in my right arm. I currently have 2 Medium Lasers which occupy 1 slot each. I would still be allowed to put in 2 Large Lasers, which occupy 2 slots each.

Lets see if I understand this right. If I have an awesome and remove the ppc in the arm there would be 3 critical slots and 7 tons open and there is a chance that only 1 weapon can fit there, so I couldn't fit 2 medium lasers in that arm even if I have the criticals and tonage to do so unless there is moar than one weapon slot correct?

If so that is an interesting way to stop boating lol.

Correct.

View PostRedHairDave, on 18 April 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

so if you have one ppc in a torso with nothing else(so lost of open crits) and you pull the ppc can you put in 2 large lasers? its one crit to many.

Only if it has at least 2 beam hardpoints. If it has 1 beam 1 ballistics hardpoint, then you could pull the PPC and replace it with a Large Laser, a Machine Gun and heat sinks to make up the difference.

View PostKhushrenada, on 18 April 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

well, if you replace a ppc, there are at least 3 hardpoints, since a ppc uses 3 weapon slots ;)

Nope, there is at least one beam hardpoint if it's a normal 'Mech. And either an Omni or beam hardpoint, if it's an OmniMech. However, there are at least 3 critical slots.

View PostKhushrenada, on 18 April 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

actually no ^^

since:

this makes pretty clear that you can replace one ppc (3 hardpoints) with 3 medium lasers (1 hardpoint each).
that would pretty much resemble the mechlab of mechwarrior mercenaries. which is pretty simple in handlying ^^

Only if there are 3 beam hardpoints. If there's only 1 beam hardpoint you can replace the PPC only with a LLAS, LPLAS, MLAS, MPLAS, SLAS, SPLAS or flamer. So most people would keep the PPC.

View PostMaddMaxx, on 18 April 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

If that indeed reads as written, then many will be seriously pissed off.

If you pull a PPC assuming that 3 Energy based crit slots would open up, then find that you cannot mount, say a LL (2 crits) and ML (1 crit) , but only one, or the other, the ML quickly becomes an obsolete selection.

Why would you ever take 1 ML over 1 LL when you have tonnage and crit(s) for HS's left over every time?

What would the deal be with the AC20 mounts? Pull the AC20, free up 10 crits and 14 Tons but have only one weapon slot FREE? OUCH! (even for me, one who hates "Boats" with a passion)

Or can you put 3 LL in a PPC slot? Sounds like only the # of weapons pulled, as many weapons can go back in.

If you pull a PPC you open up only one energy slot. If you pull an AC/20 you will only be able to replace it with one other ballistic weapon... but you might want to do so to replace it with a Gauss Rifle, so that your Medium Laser elsewhere can be replaced by a Large Laser, turning your short range Hunchback (MLAS, AC/20) into a long range one (LLAS, Gauss). If you look at any given slot you would likely want to mount the best weapon for its space and weight, but you can compensate using other slots if you plan.

View PostThomas Hogarth, on 18 April 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

Posted Image

This is the only way I've been able to make sense of this:

So let's say JagerTrashCan JTC-1R has a right arm with one PPC, and three maximum hardpoints. You can rip out the PPC for 3 ML.

However, over on the left arm, you've got two LL, and only two maximum hardpoints. This means that you can only replace those two LL with two ML, not three. Or you can swap out the two LL for a single PPC. etc.

Correct.

View PostSprouticus, on 18 April 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Regarding the post:

I like the concepts in general, but I would reiterate my opinions from some of the discussion threads
  • Please limit how much you can change engine size 1 size up or down would be best IMO
  • Please do not allow converting to/from XL engines.
  • Please do not allow converting to/from endosteel
  • Please make the change from std to ferro armor significant in cost.
  • Please limit electronics to specific mechs/variants.
The reason I ask this is because by doing those 4 things you will help each variant matain its own identity. If the ONLY difference between 2 variants is the weapon mount points they become meaningless or close to it. By making the 'heart' of the mechs the same, each variant has lots of character, but can still be customized.

Engine & electronics are especially important IMO.

While they only said tonnage at this point, I'm not expecting the devs to allow a 86.4kph UrbanMech with a single AC/2. Because trash cans can't fly that fast.

XL already has a double disadvantage of easy coring and reduced critical space, so I'd like the conversion to be possible on most Heavies and Assaults. However, not every 'Mech should be convertable to XL, since on light 'Mechs with too much critical and too little tonnage anyway it would be FREAKING OVERPOWERED. Not to mention easy coring wouldn't really matter since a double Gauss hit would probably kill it dead anyway, a Light's defense is its agility, not its armour.

Again the same thing for endo steel. I'd like to see them keep the option only to certain 'Mechs.

And electronics I'd go further in wanting specific electronic types to be limited to specific 'Mechs.

#67 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

Not to (constantly) play the slow kid, but the Q&A just raises more questions.

OK, so we have HARDPOINTS (Left Arm, Right Arm, Left Left, Right Leg, Left Torso, Right Torso, Head and Center Torso) Let's pick a LEFT ARM.

Now, the LEFT ARM HARDPOINT as a set amount of CRITICAL SPACE. But on top of that, the total space available can be limited on a PER WEAPON TYPE. So of those 10 slots, lets says there are 6x ENERGY and 4x BALLISTIC.

This means, you could fit 6x 1-slot energy weapons or 1x 2-slot + 4x 1-slot or any combination that can fit for that designated weapon type.

TO MIX THIS UP, PGI says that the same MECH (ie Hunchback) can have different HARDPOINT depending on the VARIANT.

So we could get a Hunchback Variant ABC and that same left arm now shows 8 slots, (2x Missile and 6x Ballistic) If you had a 6x slot ballistic weapon, it would not fit in the left arm of the original variant we spoke of, but it WOULD fit in this variant.

Do I seem to have this down right so far?

#68 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

The black magic is an unmentioned second beam hardpoint. But if there wasn't another one - say, that Mech only has one beam hardpoint in that location mounting the PPC, then you could only fit a single medium laser there. Perhaps someone might still want to do that, if it allowed converting an AC/5 somewhere else into an AC/20, turning a longer range 'Mech into a brawler. (You'll notice that that particular swap leaves the overall weight intact... ;-0)

View PostGarth Erlam, on 18 April 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

This is essentially dead on.

I gotta give you some reason for not desysopping me for not moderating as actively during this current exam period. Ahem. =P

#69 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 18 April 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Not to (constantly) play the slow kid, but the Q&A just raises more questions.

OK, so we have HARDPOINTS (Left Arm, Right Arm, Left Left, Right Leg, Left Torso, Right Torso, Head and Center Torso) Let's pick a LEFT ARM.

Now, the LEFT ARM HARDPOINT as a set amount of CRITICAL SPACE. But on top of that, the total space available can be limited on a PER WEAPON TYPE. So of those 10 slots, lets says there are 6x ENERGY and 4x BALLISTIC.

This means, you could fit 6x 1-slot energy weapons or 1x 2-slot + 4x 1-slot or any combination that can fit for that designated weapon type.

TO MIX THIS UP, PGI says that the same MECH (ie Hunchback) can have different HARDPOINT depending on the VARIANT.

So we could get a Hunchback Variant ABC and that same left arm now shows 8 slots, (2x Missile and 6x Ballistic) If you had a 6x slot ballistic weapon, it would not fit in the left arm of the original variant we spoke of, but it WOULD fit in this variant.

Do I seem to have this down right so far?

Nope. It's not a MW4 system.

Your critical spaces are always flexible, they're not tied to weapon types. A 9 critical arm can hold both a LLAS(2s5t)-AC/10(7s12t) combination, as well as a PPC(3s7t)-AC/5(4s8t)-2HeatSink(2s2t) combination within the same limitations of total 17 tons, 9 critical slots, 1 beam hardpoint, and 1 projectile hardpoint.

If that arm had 2 beam hardpoints and 1 projectile hardpoint instead, you could load in 2LLAS(4s10t)-AC/2(1s6t)-HeatSink(1s1t) if you wanted, with a total of 3 spare critical slots you can then fill with, say, Ferro Fibrous armour.

Different variants for 'Mechs use the same criticals and the same hardpoints in different ways.

**EDIT**

Since we all love the Hunchback so much, I'll create a theoretical Hunchback hardpoint model, based on SARNA variants.

We have:

HBK-4G/5N/6N - RT: AC/20 Arms: 2 MLAS + SLAS
HBK-4H - RT: AC/10 Arms: 4 MLAS + SLAS
HBK-4J - RT: 2 LRM-10 Arms: 5 MLAS + SLAS
HBK-4N - RT: AC/5 + 2 LRM-5 Arms: 4 MLAS + SLAS
HBK-4P - RT: 6 MLAS Arms: 2 MLAS + SLAS [AKA Swayback]
HBK-4SP - RT: 2 SRM-6 Arms: 4 MLAS
HBK-5H - RT: 3 RL-20 Arms: 2 MLAS
HBK-5M - RT: AC/20 Arms: 2 MLAS + SPLAS
HBK-5P - RT: 6 ERMLAS Arms: 2 MPLAS
HBK-5S - RT: LBX-AC/20 Arms: 2 MPLAS + SLAS
HBK-5SG - RT: Gauss Arms: 2 MPLAS
HBK-5SS - RT: 2 MML-9 Arms: 3 ERMLAS + ERSLAS
HBK-7X-4 RT: UAC/10 Arms: 3? ERMLAS

Therefore, the Hunchback will likely posses a total of 6 energy hardpoints in the arms, 3 per arm, and NO OTHER HARDPOINT TYPE THERE. The right torso will contain a total of 6 energy hardpoints, 3 missile hardpoints and 1 ballistics hardpoint.

The devs may wish to deviate from this somewhat, but generally speaking you won't be able to fire off a LRM/20 from its arm. And you won't be able to fire anything from its left torso.

Now, given what we have there, and the usual 12 critical right torso, 9 critical arm...

What I can do is create my own long ranged variant - let's call it the HBK-4PH. From the classical loadout, I know I have the above hardpoints and criticals to play with, and at least 31.5 tons (since the Swayback has 23 heat sinks, 8 MLAS and 1 SLAS).

Working with these limitations, I can create 2 SPLAS per arm for close in fighting (since arms will converge faster than torso weaponry) 4 tons gone, 27.5 to go.

Now I add in 2 PPC to the right torso. Minus 14 tons, 13.5 to go.

And 1 LRM-10 to the right torso for indirect fire capabilities. Minus 5 tons, 8.5 to go.

I feed the LRM-10 with 2 tons of ammunition, so it has 240 missiles. 6.5 tons to go. These will go in the left torso, so that even if they blow up nobody cares.

Now I remove half a ton of armour so I have 7 tons to play with, and add in 7 single heat sinks. 2 in each leg, 2 in the centre torso, and one in the head.

And we have a variant with 4 SPLAS, 2 PPC, 1 LRM-10, 7 single heat sinks. My SPLAS will never fire at long ranges, and my PPC will never fire at short ranges, because that's the way I designed it. Thus, when I engage an enemy at a long range, I will fire both PPCs together (heat rating 20), until it closes in. Since I only have 7 single heat sinks, I will invariably overheat if I keep up this behaviour for more than 3 shots. Therefore, in that time I must close in, and then fight at close ranges with the SPLAS in my arms (heat rating 7), which allows for my 'Mech to maintain a moderate-high heat level until the opposing 'Mech dies. Then I retreat, cool off, and repeat for the next target, if I'm not dead yet. If someone should show up before I can cool off, I use the LRM-10 instead (heat rating 4) of the PPCs for the next fight so that I don't overheat and blow myself up. The idea behind why I'd put 2 PPCs instead of 1 PPC and 7 extra heat sinks is because this would allow me to lay on more damage at the start of the fight, hopefully putting my target's main weapons out of commission early. But if you like to fire all weapons nearly constantly, you might want a 4 SPLAS 1 PPC 1 LRM-10 14 single heat sink version instead, and put the heat sinks in your right torso with the PPC and LRM-10 since you have 7 free slots there anyway, and you wouldn't need 14 active heat sinks if your PPC was a goner anyway. And you would try not to put anything together with the ammo so if it blows up you can basically not care about it.

I think with an example like that you can probably catch what this is about.

Edited by Hayashi, 18 April 2012 - 12:02 PM.
For Hunchback example information.

#70 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostHayashi, on 18 April 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Nope. It's not a MW4 system.

Your critical spaces are flexible, they're not tied to weapon types. A 9 critical arm can hold both a LLAS(2s5t)-AC/10(7s12t) combination, as well as a PPC(3s7t)-AC/5(4s8t)-2HeatSink(2s2t) combination within the same limitations of total 17 tons, 9 critical slots, 1 beam hardpoint, and 1 projectile hardpoint.

If that arm had 2 beam hardpoints and 1 projectile hardpoint instead, you could load in 2LLAS(4s10t)-AC/2(1s6t)-HeatSink(1s1t) if you wanted, with a total of 3 spare critical slots you can then fill with, say, Ferro Fibrous armour.

So, for clarification.

Each location has X number of WEAPON TYPE hardpoints, ie:

LEFT ARM (Max 15T / 10CS)
0 missile
1 laser
2 ballistic

The location (LEFT ARM) has a maximum amount of TONNAGE (T) and CRITICAL SLOTS (CS) it can accommodate.

So if we got 1 ballistic that took up 10T and 5 slots, we'd in essence have:
0 projectile
1 energy
1 ballistic

available in hardpoints, 5T more weight available and 5 slots more in order to fit 1 more laser or ballistic weapon that fits into that critera.

Right so far?

So if we got a different variant of the same chassis, that same left arm might look like:

LEFT ARM (Max 15T / 10CS)
0 projectile
2 energy
1 ballistic

For a variant that could hold more energy based weapons. Right?

#71 Lima Zulu

Russian Community Champion

• 1,971 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostHayashi, on 18 April 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

The black magic is an unmentioned second beam hardpoint. But if there wasn't another one - say, that Mech only has one beam hardpoint in that location mounting the PPC, then you could only fit a single medium laser there. Perhaps someone might still want to do that, if it allowed converting an AC/5 somewhere else into an AC/20, turning a longer range 'Mech into a brawler. (You'll notice that that particular swap leaves the overall weight intact... ;-0)

If this really will be in release, it means this is...
Posted Image

#72 AlanEsh

• The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

My (mechname here) has 2 Medium Lasers in its right arm. I pry off the armor to have a look and i find:
- two laser emitters and lenses mounted on limited motion gimbals

So I take my crescent wrench and remove those. Now I have:
- Two beam weapon power couplings.
So while I have opened up some room, I have no ammo feed to put in a Gauss Rifle or Missile Launcher.

This works for me, here is my seal of approval ----> (X)

#73 verybad

• 4,229 posts

View PostKhushrenada, on 18 April 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

well, if you replace a ppc, there are at least 3 hardpoints, since a ppc uses 3 weapon slots :D

Crits aren't the same as Hardpoints. A hardpoint defines the number of weapons of that class (energy/ballistic/missile) that can go in an area. Critical slots define the maximum space that can be taken up by any weapons in that area.

So what will determine how many medium lasers on an Awesome can be placed would be up to the developers, and how many hardpoints they determine can be placed on an Aweseom. This is something we don't know, and will obviously be shaped by the beta and balance testing. The mention of replacing a PPC with 3 medium lasers in this

[PAUL] I’m not sure what you mean here. If you pull a PPC out of a hard point and you want to put 2 medium lasers in its place, there’s nothing stopping you from doing so. Just go to the store, buy 2 medium lasers, remove the PPC, put the 2 medium lasers in its space and Bob’s yer uncle! ;) If you’re thinking that the PPC’s 3 critical slots must be filled with 3 medium lasers, then no, you don’t have to do that.

Statement isn't definative of a certainty of that being a capability. The Awesome has the critical slots for it certainly, but it would still need to have 3 energy HARDPOINTs in that location for it to be possible.

#74 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

To the person who mentioned that urban mechs have a slight advantage because they are one of the few light mechs with a Balistic weapon, I will point out Machine Guns are a Balistic weapon and a ton of lights have them.

I for one don't care how much I can alter the size of my engine... devs have stated that there will be no 1/2 mech speeds, but going down to 2/3 or 3/5 makes you pretty dang slow... and in a game where being able to /dodge/ attacks is part of your defence, I for one wouldn't go much slower. As for making a bigger mech faster... that is a steep increase. There is a reason why the Charger is under gunned.

As for XL engines... since double heat sinks are not inherant in XL and I think your making your mech more killable for the speed, I kinda see it as a sucker's bet. Most lights are lucky if they have 6pts of armor in a location that is fine... /IF/ the game keeps Table Top damage specs. If they nerf damage, I can then see a concern about not letting lights have XL. That is what I am kinda concerned about, and will just wait and se how they handle it.

Over all, this was a good Q&A.

#75 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 18 April 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

My only vast disappointment in an otherwise excellent set of reveals is the issue of decals, though I understand the reasoning.

I really hope they consider including a Black Ops style decal-creator if they're not allowing uploads, so that units can still get their own custom decals onto their 'mechs.

Either that or one could submit a decal and the devs decide if it will be allowded/implemented or not (though that might end up in a whole lot of work),

#76 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

XL engines are a gamble essentially. The extra performance is great, but it's always gonna make you mroe vulnerable (evem a Clan XL engine, which doesn't kill you if the side torso is destroyed, is gonna be making 10 points of extra heat in that situation, something that severely limits most mechs)

In generally I think they're a better gamble for lights than for heavy units, as lights main advantage isn't their firepower, but their maneuverability. XLs in heavies and Assaults are gerneally used to increase firepower, which is of course nice, but the vulnerability limits the time you can spend with that firepower.

#77 Midgie

Swaybacked

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 192 posts
  • LocationThe unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yup, I still love what the devs have done with the mechlab. It provides lots of customization with limits. A lot of people won't like that but it will actually make the game more fun and the mechs more varied. Besides, it will also allow PGI to sell all those variants since they will have unique numbers of hardpoints.

#78 armitage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostHayashi, on 18 April 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

... 2 prototype Gauss rifles on the same arm.

1. 1 Prototype Gauss Rifle(8)...

Will protoype weapons such as this be available?

#79 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Lets say I take an Awesome, normally with 3 PPCs, 1 small laser. Then I modify it to its maximum theoreitcaly extent, that is to say 10 medium lasers. Will this be possible, or could the hardpoint system further restrict so there's a maximum number of smaller weapons that could replace a larger one to help prevent crazy boating? –CapperDeluxe

[DAVID] The hardpoint system will be related to how many weapons are in the default loadout, and not how many slots those weapons take up.

I bet this will be covered and should be straightforward, but, if you wanted to replace a PPC with two medium lasers, would you need to buy three medium lasers? or would you simply buy one and have it available when you want a medium laser for something. –zudukai

[PAUL] I’m not sure what you mean here. If you pull a PPC out of a hard point and you want to put 2 medium lasers in its place, there’s nothing stopping you from doing so. Just go to the store, buy 2 medium lasers, remove the PPC, put the 2 medium lasers in its space and Bob’s yer uncle! ;) If you’re thinking that the PPC’s 3 critical slots must be filled with 3 medium lasers, then no, you don’t have to do that.

It all make sense in bizzaro world.

David says: an Awesome has 4 hardpoints for mounting weapons. Which means you can only have up to 4 weapons (H, RA, RT, LT)

Paul says: Pull a PPC and you have 3 critical slots and can mount 1, 2, or 3 medium lasers in that location. Thereby infering that you can, in fact, have 10 medium lasers on an Awesome.

Major Tom asks: I pull the 6 medium lasers from the RT of my Swayback (HBK-4P), that leaves me with 6 hardpoints and 6 critical slots. How many PPCs can I mount?

0 - because I don't have a single hardpoint that can hold 3 critical slots
2 - because I have 2 (or more) hardpoints and 6 energy critical slots
4 - because I have 4 (or more) hardpoints and 12 critical slots (total number in RT)
2K - because I have cheat codes

Edited by Major Tom, 18 April 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#80 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I can't see why prototypes wouldn't be available in limited numbers and very great cost. Prototype phase for the new weapons in BT saw higher production numbers than we'd normally associate with prototypes.

It's a moot issue, though. ER/Gauss/Pulse/LB10X/Ultra-5... many more are in limited production by this timeline. Tech penetration is somewhat low, production isn't very high, and confidence in the new products is low, but they are being produced in non-prototype form.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users