18 replies to this topic

#1 The Trice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Is it activated or does it work , as i have been firing my SRM Artemis missiles and they seem to fire and move the same way as normal SRM .

#2 DoomByte

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

I am also wondering about if artemis is even working most missiles just seem to be doing what they always have done and if something goes out of sight on LRMs they still seem to just land where they would normally land. Does anyone have details on this?

#3 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Artemis simply provides a bit tighter grouping for the missiles, thus making more of them hit close to same spot. It does also allow more missiles to hit the target.
Artemis does not provide any sort of actual "guidance" for the missiles. If you lose a lock on a target you're firing LRMs to, they will fall short just like before. SRMs have no lock-in anyway and Artemis does not affect Streak SRMs.

In regards to SRMs, the only ones I found Artemis to be worth it was SRM6 racks. It seems to allow me to get a 5th missile into target at ranges where I previously was only able to get 4 in (due to the rather big shotgun pattern of the SRM6 fire). However after doing enough test games, I reverted away from Artemis on the SRM6s even. It did not make a big enough difference for me to continue using them.

For LRMs however it does make a difference, just get yourself a dedicated spotter if you can.

#4 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Artemis tightens the grouping so a higher percentage of missiles hit. That is all. It isn't a magic lock-on device or anything like that.

#5 DoomByte

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

so.... from what you say the description in-game is incorrect? "A targeting system that adds homing capabilities to SRMs and additional tracking to LRMs."

#6 NikitaCrocuta

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostDoomByte, on 10 November 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

so.... from what you say the description in-game is incorrect? "A targeting system that adds homing capabilities to SRMs and additional tracking to LRMs."

Yeah, I doesn't add any actual homing or target locking onto SRMs, think of SRMs as shotguns, Artemis acts as a Choke for them, I really feel the description needs to be changed, else people read it and think something else, as the way it is worded now makes it sound like if you use it with a SRM/6 for example, you would get Streak/6 but you don't

#7 ArmyOfWon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well, according to Sarna.net the Artemis uses an infrared laser and microwave transmitter to guide the missiles (both LRM and SRM). I think that Artemis SRMs should have a limited homing capability, so that it homes in what you have lazed, so instead of a heat lock (Streak SRMs), there would only be a spotter lock, increasing accuracy and efficiency of Artemis missiles, and making Artemis + SRM actually useful.

The only reason I'm using Artemis + SRM is that the CN9-D comes equipped with Artemis, so I don't want to spend the money to downgrade

#8 The Trice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostArmyOfWon, on 10 November 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Well, according to Sarna.net the Artemis uses an infrared laser and microwave transmitter to guide the missiles (both LRM and SRM). I think that Artemis SRMs should have a limited homing capability, so that it homes in what you have lazed, so instead of a heat lock (Streak SRMs), there would only be a spotter lock, increasing accuracy and efficiency of Artemis missiles, and making Artemis + SRM actually useful.

The only reason I'm using Artemis + SRM is that the CN9-D comes equipped with Artemis, so I don't want to spend the money to downgrade

Yup or else its worthless , The description both in game and in mechwiki are not misunderstanding but a whole diffrent thing , a "homing capabilities " means u can turn you SRM6 to a Streak SRM 6 , homing never meant tighter and i think it eithier should be fixed , or just change name of such worthless technology .

#9 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostArmyOfWon, on 10 November 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

yet you're slowly paying for it in rearm costs, unless you're relying on the free 75%

#10 RAM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

FYI/A
http://mwomercs.com/...is-mega-thread/

RAM
ELH
MOD

#11 Theevenger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Except that I had my SRMs home slightly last night. I fired them, and watched the missiles change their path to hit a target in mid flight. It was not just the normal chaotic movement of an SRM in flight. It was clearly getting some guidance. Explanation? Anyone?

#12 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostTheevenger, on 20 December 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Except that I had my SRMs home slightly last night. I fired them, and watched the missiles change their path to hit a target in mid flight. It was not just the normal chaotic movement of an SRM in flight. It was clearly getting some guidance. Explanation? Anyone?

Mkay.

Not sure what you has experienced as me fire several thousand SRMs daily both with and without the artemis.
& me has yet to see any hint of homing capabilities.

Edited by MagicHamsta, 20 December 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#13 Alexander 1978

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostTheevenger, on 20 December 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

I saw the same thing happen on my founders Catapult. I refitted it for a more short range role and had previously upgraded to Artemis for the LRM's. But with the SRM6 Artemis seems to give the missiles a slight homing ability but not for all missiles as it seems and only to a small degree.

I saw about half of the salvoe take a right turn to kinda "follow" a moving target that turned round a corner. And NO I did not take drugs as I saw this SRM+Artemis behavior.

#14 ArmyOfWon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

The projectiles that SRMs fire are waypoint missiles, so they all kinda home in on what you have it pointed at when you fire (I think.) I've seen both Artemis SRMs and non-Artemis SRMs behave this way. I suppose Artemis just has them follow the waypoint a little bit stronger than non-Artemis.

#15 Jaynestown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I have seen dumb fire projectiles appear to change trajectory up until a few patches ago. I think this is what you were seeing. I have used both SRM6 and Artemis-SRM6 on my Hunchback SP and I have never seen them alter course for any reason. At the same time, I used to occasionally fire an AC20 round from my 4G and watch it wiggle around after the target. I believe this was a fix in one of the patch notes.

#16 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Interesting. In your opinion then, would you upgrade the SRM6 on a HBK-4SP to Artemis or leave it as is?

#17 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

They changed Artemis since this thread was current. Now, it's very good and significantly tightens missile spread.

#18 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostBlue Frog, on 21 March 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Interesting. In your opinion then, would you upgrade the SRM6 on a HBK-4SP to Artemis or leave it as is?

I have artemis on my 4SP. It definately helps at longer ranges. Tighter grouping.

#19 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

On my DDC, artemis is priceless. Very easy to make well-grouped shots up to 200m. Of course, we'll see how deadly it still is after the hot fix, but I was tearing riflemen apart like nobody's business once they were within that range (no need to get <100m for full effect).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users