Play Mechwarrior On Mac Os X

115 replies to this topic

#1 CALABERA

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hi all, I would like to play on my mac Mechwarrior and I think most people who own a mac you play this incredible game play, ask managers to communicate to the creators of this fantastic game you support a Mac OS X.

Thank you very much.

#2 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

As far as i know Mac OS is not supported and won't be in the near future if at all.

#3 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

DX based game Cryengine based game.

If you're using a mac, your should remember "Silly Mac user, Videogames are for PC users!"

It would be a huge undertaking and not possible for PGI as it's a Direct X game. While Apple is a huge company, they still lag far behind in personal computers.

Fromwhat I understand, you can load Windows onto a Mac, so just use that...

Edited by verybad, 11 November 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#4 Congzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postverybad, on 11 November 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

If you're using a mac, your should remember "Silly Mac user, Videogames are for PC users!"

It would be a huge undertaking and not possible for PGI as it's a Direct X game. While Apple is a huge company, they still lag far behind in personal computers.

No, it isn't possible because Microsoft owns the Mechwarrior liscence, it has nothing to do with CryEngine.

#5 BillGates

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostCongzilla, on 11 November 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

No, it isn't possible because Microsoft owns the Mechwarrior liscence, it has nothing to do with CryEngine.

While that may make sense in a market kind of view, the CryEngine is a Direct X game, and there are no Direct X API's for any OS beside Windows.

So it's probably both. Microsoft not willing to port Direct X, and the CryEngine being a Direct X engine. The Mechwarrior trademark however, has nothing to do with it.

#6 JewBoy

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Install Boot Camp, boot in to Windows, problem solved.

#7 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yep. Boot Camp. It works.

#8 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostCALABERA, on 11 November 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

Hi all, I would like to play on my mac Mechwarrior and I think most people who own a mac you play this incredible game play, ask managers to communicate to the creators of this fantastic game you support a Mac OS X.

Thank you very much.

First:
Creators dont write gamecode.

Second:
CryEngine is based on DirectX, a microsoft product. Its not the developers issue, its a CryEngine issue - complain to CryTech for their CryEngine not supporting Mac OS.

Third:
Format your mac and install a real OS lol!!
Sorry, but if you want to play games. You need windows. Period. Untill Apple buy a DirectX license, which will never happen.

Fourth:
If you dont want to format your mac and install windows (or build a PC).
Get a copy of BOOTCAMP (not expensive, rly rly cheep infact) and make a DUAL BOOT for your mac. Its not hard, BOOTCAMP is VERY easy to use and there are a million tutorials out on the net on how to do it.
Not only will you then be able to play MWO but also every other game out there that is made for Windows, without having to mess with OSX.

#9 Lemon8or

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

View Postverybad, on 11 November 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Too bad they swallowed the MS pill and went with Direct X. I'm shocked that any company making an MMO game fails to realize that the largest and most successful MMO of all time did not do this and supported mac users using a graphics library that was not limited to PC users. Statistically, I know that Mac users are a much smaller segment for sure, but perhaps there is some hard to define quality that comes through in a game when the developers take the time and effort to support a larger group.

#10 Lemon8or

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

View Postebea51, on 11 November 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

First:
Creators dont write gamecode.

Second:
CryEngine is based on DirectX, a microsoft product. Its not the developers issue, its a CryEngine issue - complain to CryTech for their CryEngine not supporting Mac OS.

Third:
Format your mac and install a real OS lol!!
Sorry, but if you want to play games. You need windows. Period. Untill Apple buy a DirectX license, which will never happen.

Fourth:
If you dont want to format your mac and install windows (or build a PC).
Get a copy of BOOTCAMP (not expensive, rly rly cheep infact) and make a DUAL BOOT for your mac. Its not hard, BOOTCAMP is VERY easy to use and there are a million tutorials out on the net on how to do it.
Not only will you then be able to play MWO but also every other game out there that is made for Windows, without having to mess with OSX.

I've used bootcamp, didn't care for it much. It did get the job done but was very annoying to use IMHO. Also, felt like I was polluting a machine that was working fine with some type of infection.

Not sure why pc users bash on macs. I used PC for 20+years, switched to Mac and I will never go back. Had mac for 2 years now, guess how many time my machine has crashed or had to be rebooted because it "locked up"? Only once, and guess what software I was trying to run?

I think people use PC because they are cheaper, but if you can afford a machine that actually works and does what you want it to without having to have computer engineering degree then you should try macs. Although the economics of this means that there are fewer users of macs, I get that, i think they should still try to support both.

#11 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Posted Image

Edit: This is actually from the bathroom in the IT building where I work.

Edited by Sug, 21 February 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#12 LOWJACKCITY

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Posted Image

#13 Ollie Rifleman Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 526 posts
  • LocationNew Vandenberg (TC)

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

I installed MWO under Linux using wine - latest version - but horrible low fps (10-15fps),
k in windows 7 (15-25 fps).

You can try the latest wine version for mac to install MWO.

#14 LOWJACKCITY

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostLemon8or, on 16 December 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

I've used bootcamp, didn't care for it much. It did get the job done but was very annoying to use IMHO. Also, felt like I was polluting a machine that was working fine with some type of infection.

Not sure why pc users bash on macs. I used PC for 20+years, switched to Mac and I will never go back. Had mac for 2 years now, guess how many time my machine has crashed or had to be rebooted because it "locked up"? Only once, and guess what software I was trying to run?

I think people use PC because they are cheaper, but if you can afford a machine that actually works and does what you want it to without having to have computer engineering degree then you should try macs. Although the economics of this means that there are fewer users of macs, I get that, i think they should still try to support both.

all i hear is "ive chosen to be in a walled garden where I've been promised nothing bad will ever happen and they let us do only what they want."

pretty much all PC to Mac converts couldn't ever hack it and that's why they left. If you could, you'd never have any reason to consider Mac. Like driving a manual tranny--if you dont know what you are doing you will **** it up, but once you do...you'll never go back. How do you like that automatic tranny?

having said that I am going to be setting my die hard apple buddy up wtih bootcamp so he can actually join the rest of us in gaming bliss. the very fact that he doesnt know how to do this, nor care about learning how to, is a testament to why he is a mac user in the first place.

View PostKatadhoum, on 16 December 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

I installed MWO under Linux using wine - latest version - but horrible low fps (10-15fps),
k in windows 7 (15-25 fps).

You can try the latest wine version for mac to install MWO.

this is to be expected. Wine is just an emulator. Bootcamp is the only way to get it running decent, dependent only on your hardware.

Edited by LOWJACKCITY, 16 December 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#15 Ollie Rifleman Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 526 posts
  • LocationNew Vandenberg (TC)

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

No , Wine Is Not an Emulator.

http://www.winehq.org/

#16 Adeptus Odren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostLemon8or, on 16 December 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

Let's put it this way. I and a lot of gamers I know like being able to build their own computers - and a custom rig can cost far more than a Mac. And they don't have degrees in custom engineering either (I have liberal arts degree). You can't DIY a Mac.

As for the economics, it just isn't that cost efficient to make a product that will operate on multiple platforms since you'll need additional people who have to be conversant on said platforms. Best to focus on the market where the majority of your customers - and Mechwarrior gamers - are: Windows PCs.

So suck it up, Macboy. B)

#17 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostLemon8or, on 16 December 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Too bad they swallowed the MS pill and went with Direct X. I'm shocked that any company making an MMO game fails to realize that the largest and most successful MMO of all time did not do this and supported mac users using a graphics library that was not limited to PC users. Statistically, I know that Mac users are a much smaller segment for sure, but perhaps there is some hard to define quality that comes through in a game when the developers take the time and effort to support a larger group.

You do know that MS owns the mechwarrior license, thus to make a mechwarrior game you have no choice but to swallow the MS pill? Quite literally there is nothing they can do to put it on anything but windows and xbox (if they so desired)

#18 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

I have a 2012 macbook pro and I play MWO on the bootcamp partition. I also have a gaming PC so I obviously prefer to play it on that. I use the mac for school/work and I would never go back to using a PC for such things.

#19 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

MOAR MAC BASHING!

Posted Image

#20 Adeptus Odren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostDevilJade, on 16 December 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

I have a 2012 macbook pro and I play MWO on the bootcamp partition. I also have a gaming PC so I obviously prefer to play it on that. I use the mac for school/work and I would never go back to using a PC for such things.

From my standpoint, that's inefficient. My pc lets me game and work and it's a fallacy that a pc can't do as well as a Mac. To each his own, I guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users