Can't Get Out Of Shutdown In Cauldron

47 replies to this topic

#1 Accident

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

So I was just running a trial commando on calderra. I over heated in the cauldron, and instead of hitting over ride, decided to wait it out. I sat there for at least 10 seconds without powering up. Finally I hit over ride and immediately exploded. This would lead me to believe that a trial commando doesn't actually have enough heat sinks to get out of shut down in the cauldron. PGI, unless this is some sort of bug, you guys have no concept of game design or balance.

As to the "Watch your heat, l2p crowd" I was only firing a medium laser, not the large, and not the srm.

-Accident

#2 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Trick is to immediately override and get out of the caldera(Then shut down if you need to). You were probably sitting on one of the vents, and potentially had an engine-crit.

#3 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think you stay overheated until your heat dissipates down below a specific value.
If you do not have enough heat sinks it can take a while to dissipate it, especially with the added heat from being in the caldera.

If you override you can go boom.

#4 Accident

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Don't think I had any engine damage, all weapons were online, and didn't have the big flashing crit. As for over riding, I waited for awhile. When nothing happened, I finally over rided and immediately exploded.

Game design at its finest.

-Accident

#5 Clay Pigeon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostTaryys, on 12 November 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think you stay overheated until your heat dissipates down below a specific value.
If you do not have enough heat sinks it can take a while to dissipate it, especially with the added heat from being in the caldera.

If you override you can go boom.

Many trial mechs don't have enough sinks to compensate for the heat the caldera actively adds to the mech.

#6 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostClay Pigeon, on 12 November 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Many trial mechs don't have enough sinks to compensate for the heat the caldera actively adds to the mech.

This. Fighting inside of the caldera itself is best left to the extremely heat efficient.

#7 Sarevos

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostAccident, on 12 November 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Don't think I had any engine damage, all weapons were online, and didn't have the big flashing crit. As for over riding, I waited for awhile. When nothing happened, I finally over rided and immediately exploded.

-Accident

I hate to be "that guy" but you were fighting in an active volcano and you wonder why your heat wouldnt dissipate....

#8 Blyn

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostAccident, on 12 November 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

-Accident

As a helpful tip, don't fight in the Caldera, it generates way too much heat and your heat sink effectiveness is worsened by it. In any mech you run the risk of not being able to dissipate the heat and when you reach your maximum heat you will blow yourself up. You were obviously way over max heat capacity and should have cooled down way more before powering back up.

#9 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

I had a similar first the other day. I was in the trial Cicada and I overheated and shut down. I overrode the shut down and tried to run to safety and blew up without firing any weapons. I guess just the heat from the XL engine running was enough to push me over the edge...

#10 Accident

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Is there some sort of outside heat monitor that gives an indication of how much excess heat is being added. As for the don't fight in a volcano, my problem is that I was effectively stuck. I waited to cool down, but after 10 seconds I still hadn't restarted. You get no indication of what is happening when you are shut down with regards to heat, so I finally decided to start up.

In my opinion, and I realize it is just that, an area like the volcano, and heat management can be done several different ways. One way is to have no visible representation of what is happening. You all of a sudden shut down, and don't restart. Another way would be to make the area so hot that you simply can't fight there (cause god knows designing maps that you can't actually fight over makes perfect sense), and finally they could take this opportunity to make some heat gauges in the cockpit. Add in a a count down to powering back up, give a voice warning "outside heat temperatures critical, engine performance degrading". There are a lot of fun, interesting, gameplay enhancing ways to use heat.

Instead you shut down, and don't restart, simply exploding if you do try and restart with out any indication of what is going on. They could do a lot with environmental effects, and dangerous terrain. Imagine heat or sandstorms sweeping a battlefield. "Sand storm approaching, missile flight may be degraded, sensor range down to 300 meters". What about solar flares that periodically add heat and damage to a moon you're fighting on. ME2 did a pretty nice job with that planet that you had to stay in the shade on. A similar design could really add to MWO, make you feel like you were really fighting on a moon colony.

Even a cockpit heat gauge for the outside would add to the immersion. They decided to model in a 3D cockpit, why not put some useful gauges in it. It would add to the immersion. When you do shut down a countdown box could pop up on one of the displays they have modeled with a time to engine power up displayed.

PGI took what could be an interesting, cool (pardon the pun) mechanic, and made it a simple stupid annoyance instead. Put mechanics into the game that add to it, otherwise don't bother.

-Accident

#11 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

If you ever want to know the standard heat of a place just stand still and see what your heat gauge reads. On caustic it's not unusual to be standing still generating no heat and already be at 6%.

#12 aspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

To be honest the exact same thing happened to me in teh first week or so of play, because I had absolutely no idea that it was a hot spot. If it was filled with lava, sure, that would have been an easy giveaway...but there's no real indicator of what's happening other than carefully watching your dissipation rate. I don't think the mechanic is bad and I don't think this has anything to do with trial mechs, as some areas of the map SHOULD be dangerous...but there's not really any heads up for players until someone tells them about it on chat.

#13 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think OP is failing to grasp the fact that the Caulderra is a freaking VOLCANO. Of course your heat is going to climb while in there, if you run in and find your heat climbing get out of it and stay out, the fact your fired energy weapons while in there not knowing what will happen contributes to your lack of knowledge of the mech you are piloting and your personal skill as a mechwarrior needs work.

#14 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

This is why you do not operate heavy machinery IN THE CALDERA OF AN ACTIVE VOLCANO :D

If you turn on thermal, you will see that that caldera is really no place to be putting your mech.

#15 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

bad pilot is bad

#16 Accident

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Haha, I am a bad pilot, but that doesn't mean an external heat indicator wouldn't add to the cockpit.

-Accident

#17 Webber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

We all have to learn, guys. This was something that has since been explained, but there's no need to call him a bad player. :D

#18 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Its not a trial mech thing, its a hot mech thing.

I have sat in the caldera in an atlas shut down for 45 seconds before finally starting up manually....and I blew up 10 seconds later.

I WAS able to fix this in a hunchie once, but the way I did it was....painful.

1) start up
2) move for about 3 seconds
3) hit p, shut down
4) goto step 1

Once I got to the edge of the caldera, I left myself in shutdown for about 15 second, then started up.

Of course 90% of the time you will never live long enough to do that. But its possible.

#19 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostWebber, on 12 November 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

We all have to learn, guys. This was something that has since been explained, but there's no need to call him a bad player. :D

Seriously - the game doesn't make it obvious that going in there is a bad idea. Especially since it's right smack in the middle of the map. That said I really enjoy fighting there in my highly heat efficient mechs. I usually end up getting to plink away at someone standing nice and still.

#20 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 12 November 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Seriously - the game doesn't make it obvious that going in there is a bad idea. Especially since it's right smack in the middle of the map. That said I really enjoy fighting there in my highly heat efficient mechs. I usually end up getting to plink away at someone standing nice and still.

I don't know, seeing my heat spike from 10%-15% to 25%+ while just walking pretty much told me I shouldn't fight in there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users