"tattletale"

78 replies to this topic

#41 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Sorry folks, this isn't Solaris Online. If you'd like a fight to the death and more stat padding, play MW4. Reporting positions is greifing and anyone that does it will be reported.

#42 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostRAM, on 13 November 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

This is a reminder that betraying teammate locations to the EN (‘birddogging’) is a form of greifing and is in violation of the Community Guidelines. Please avoid this behavior in the future, thank you!

Report those that do to:
support@mwomercs.com

RAM
ELH
MOD

Ram, with all due respect, I'll start following those guidelines when I see botters/AFKers being perma-banned en masse on the first offense and a functional blacklist implemented in the game. Both of those things kept being requested since before the closed beta began. Instead of that PGI decided to force us to have those AFKers on our team with the current matchmaker. How did that saying go - you reap what you sow?

#43 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

A while back I saw our "brave" Centurion hiding behind a rock on Forest Colony with 100% armor, 100% ammo, and I know he ain't a disco, while the rest of us died on the front.

I would core him myself but I couldn't, the enemy team sure did. And it felt good.

Cowards must die, wounded warriors have earned the right to live another day.

#44 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostIceSerpent, on 13 November 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Ram, with all due respect, I'll start following those guidelines when I see botters/AFKers being perma-banned en masse on the first offense and a functional blacklist implemented in the game. Both of those things kept being requested since before the closed beta began. Instead of that PGI decided to force us to have those AFKers on our team with the current matchmaker. How did that saying go - you reap what you sow?

All I can suggest is that you follow the rules; failure to do so could result in you being punished instead or as well. Remember two wrongs do not make a right, although three lefts do…

View PostGen Kumon, on 13 November 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Does that apply to obviously AFK players who haven't moved in several minutes and will not reply to attempts to talk to them?

Yes – There is no such thing as an obviously AFK player; not everyone speaks English (whatever language) for example.

View PostMercules, on 13 November 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Just to be clear... setting up some form of macro(or maybe just jamming the keyboard keys) so that you walk slowly in a circle or otherwise farming is a violation of the Community Guidelines and should be reported, correct?

Correct – report suspected instances/suspicious activity using support@mwomercs.com as well, thanks!

RAM
ELH
MOD

#45 Pocket Psycho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostDesrtfox, on 13 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

I'd also like to know if logging in to a game with the intention of hiding (thus farming cbills) is a reportable violation.

And for the record, two wrongs kinda does make right. This principle is pretty much the basis for all criminal punishment systems as well as all warfare.

Two wrongs don't make a right, if you accuse someone of a crime but your only evidence was obtained illegally then that evidence is immissable in court and can't be used to prove guilt, also you can then be charged for the act that obtained the evidence, so yeah, 2 Wrongs =/= 1 Right.

View PostRAM, on 13 November 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Yes – There is no such thing as an obviously AFK player; not everyone speaks English (whatever language) for example.

Yes not everyone speaks or can read/understand english, but a player that has not moved or taken any action for several minutes and fails to react to any action taken against them, like responding to incoming fire, is obviously AFK, so yes there is such a thing as an obviously AFK player.

Edited by Pocket Psycho, 13 November 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#46 Onyx Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, EARTH MK II

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostClay Pigeon, on 13 November 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Completely relevant. Cowards deserve to die, first by losing a leg, then both arms, then both side torsos, then by stripping the last leg, and finally by coring the CT.

Amen...

If you are last, and you aren't fighting or capping...or on your way to a fight or to cap...why the F#$% should I sit here and wait?...So you can preserve your precious stats? No.

(Unless perhaps the opposing team has offered surrender, and your team feels like you earned it...You get called out when you really did the best you could, then I feel for you)

Then again it is pretty rare that someone does the best they could, is last one alive and still the team looses...because they probably could/should have fought to the death earlier.

Edited by Onyx Rain, 13 November 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#47 Stormur Herra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostTarman, on 13 November 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Your time isn't worth someone else's money. You're not paying their repair bills. All you're doing is being a poor sport. Way to be classy.

Time is money. If you're wasting someone else's trying to save your own you have no room to talk.

If you're fighting a pointless battle, at least you might get a kill which gives everyone that hit that guy an assist or pull off an epic unlikely victory that makes everyone win a bit more. If you're just dragging it out by trying to save your own useless hide, you deserve what you get.

#48 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

I don't get this whole "sitting and waiting" thing.

You have other mechs right? You're the one who's wasting your own time by staying in the match and not using your other perfectly useful mechs... invalid argument.

Honestly, I don't get why people even feel inclined to tattle. Especially because it's under an assumption that said mech is A. farming or B. hiding from death. There are numerous cases, I falling under them, where either C. the game crashed on me and you're just being a jerk, or D. Someone (not me in this case) is strategically waiting for an opportunity to move, for example, hiding behind a building, then, when all the mechs have passed, going to cap.

Benefit of the doubt.

#49 Lorcan Lladd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I always go down fighting, not because of a mistaken and blind sense of duty, but because I have no other option - friendlies might just betray my location even if I were to try and hide my 'Mech away for the end of the match, whereas hostiles would never accept a surrender, at any rate, being what they are...
It's just one more thing which turns me off about the community, but, whatever.

As for me, well, I uphold a personal policy of never disclosing any information about my team members or firing at enemies whom surrender.

EDIT:

View PostSikosis, on 13 November 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

[...] keep an open mind, don't be "That Guy" and have fun - its what a game is supposed to be for!

You're right, of course.
I've probably been taking the last couple of matches way too seriously.

Edited by Lorcan Lladd, 13 November 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#50 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

If I'm in my A1 and I'm out of ammo, I'm going to cap, cap/block or I'm going to hide.

When Ramming/Charging is in, I'll consider suicide charges.

#51 Sikosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLake Ozark, Mo

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostClay Pigeon, on 13 November 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Completely relevant. Cowards deserve to die, first by losing a leg, then both arms, then both side torsos, then by stripping the last leg, and finally by coring the CT.

First just a point . . . loosing both legs = death (lrn2troll) . . .

Second - if you don't know what that person is doing (as I've had people in situations start giving my position because "I'm taking too long" even though I actually WON the round for the team AND had the most kills / dmg in a jenner . . . so please be so kind as to SHUT THE &##* UP! ! ! until I'm either dead or we've won . . . thank you very much Cpt. Armchair Qtrbk. . . .

View PostVassago Rain, on 13 November 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

I always give your location if you're delaying the inevitable, AFK, or have been useless for the whole game.
Despite being king troll, I don't have my location given up. Because I do none of the above, and that's what people care about.

You, Vassago - a person I've played not only with but against . . . how arrogant and assumptive you've grown. Quite comfortable in your elitist down the nose looking "superior" position . . . it boils down to this buddy, matches are 15 minutes long, if I take 14 m 59 s to do WHAT EVER I want . . . that is MY RIGHT. I paid (in this case) to support this game and as long as I'm active and functional in a game you can alway leave yourself if you don't like it . . . how about that skipper - try those big boy britches on eh?

View PostTarman, on 13 November 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Your time isn't worth someone else's money. You're not paying their repair bills. All you're doing is being a poor sport. Way to be classy.

Tarman I can't decide where you stand, so how about we make a choice, then a statement and carry on from there. . . since what occurs in a match has nothing to do with real life cash (as C-Bills have NO direct connection to $$$ it's all about time) and as I said above, you hit READY and/or LAUNCH knowing that the match is set for 15 minutes in time, if you're incapable of making that dedication to the time alloted its YOUR problem, not mine . . . there is always ESC and Leave Game / Quit Match . . . pony up biggin, make a choice

View PostMouseNo4, on 13 November 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Yes well... like a lot of multiplayer game ''support'' teams. Teamkilling, greifing, trolling, hacking or cheating simply gets ignored.

and if people would report those things, there would be a lot less of all the above. . . that along with placing pilots on your block / ignore list . . . helps a ton

PGI is looking at working up some type of block / ignore feature too that would also keep said pilots from being in the same drop, hopefully they work it so that it happens to affect those who are violating the spirit as well as the rule of the game. . . send in a supportive PoV or Opinion about making this effort more of a main stream concern than a back burner issue ;)

View Post00dlez, on 13 November 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

My founder's time ticks down at the same rate as your's does chief, and the 6 other people on our team. You are wasting OUR real money too, so sack up and make the sacrifice the rest of us already did in an attmept to help your c-bill pocket book.

get it clear dude, Founder's packs only have a scrap of relation to Premium Time . . . and then read the above to get yourself straight. . . stop worrying about what another pilot is doing and either deal with the fact that the matches are dedicated 15 minute intervals or leave it, since you appear to be in a rush. . .

View PostStradivarious, on 13 November 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

And not participating in the match is considered farming and is also reportable, so basically you're reporting them for reporting you for farming, they're just informing the other team instead of the CSAs. Logic, whee.

I personally reserve the right to "tattle tale" on you for being a dickbag, get in the fight or delete the damn game and quit wasting time. Now if you've taken damage and are the last survivor, thats another story, nothing to worry about from me. If you're pristine and have been hiding the whole match, you have been warned, I have FRAPs on standby and the willingness to record you being a dickbag. (as a couple have already found out) :)

I think RAM has answered this with both his post & reply. . . so for sure have fun be an a$$ and give up team mates positions to the other team, I'm sure people will report you (like I know I would if I saw you doing that crap) and sooner than later we'll not have to deal with you . . . yay!

View PostDesrtfox, on 13 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

I'd also like to know if logging in to a game with the intention of hiding (thus farming cbills) is a reportable violation.

And for the record, two wrongs kinda does make right. This principle is pretty much the basis for all criminal punishment systems as well as all warfare.

kinda sorta coulda woulda maybe . . . what ever dude - I'd love to discuss those off topic comments sometime if you're up for trying to support that position. . . bottom line is below . . . as RAM indicated, PGI doesn't share your view on it ;)

This is a reminder that betraying teammate locations to the EN (‘birddogging’) is a form of greifing and is in violation of the Community Guidelines. Please avoid this behavior in the future, thank you!

Report those that do to:
support@mwomercs.com

RAM
ELH
MOD

View PostRAM, on 13 November 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Correct – report suspected instances/suspicious activity using support@mwomercs.com as well, thanks!

Cheers!

RAM
ELH
MOD

#52 Cataphract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Ive had on many occasions pugs reveal the location of me or others players simply because they wanted the match over faster. The game just needs to have dead players incapable of chatting with active ones.

#53 Sikosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLake Ozark, Mo

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostLorcan Lladd, on 13 November 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

I always go down fighting, not because of a mistaken and blind sense of duty, but because I have no other option - friendlies might just betray my location even if I were to try and hide my 'Mech away for the end of the match, whereas hostiles would never accept a surrender, at any rate, being what they are...
It's just one more thing which turns me off about the community, but, whatever.

As for me, well, I uphold a personal policy of never disclosing any information about my team members or firing at enemies whom surrender.

I thought your post was one to add to and support . . .I think that when you get the choice to play with people you know (versus this crap-tastic 4 + chaos crap thats going on now) you'll experience as many of us have a more supportive team (i've actually had team mates tell me to back off and stay in the base or go to X to avoid any more dmg as I'd lost weapons or expended my ammo) so those folks are out there and understand a live mech is more vital than another sacrifice. . .

And a word on "Hostiles" people should really pay attention to chat in game, I know that my company offers surrender to single pilots or weaponless pilots often. . . we work AFK / Suiciders in our own special blend in order to acquire more $$$ and exp, so we don't do much with them by means of interaction, they're just dealt with . . . but yeah they are out there, I've had complete pug groups muster enough communication to offer a single mech surrender, so maybe keep a bit more open mind when in matches as it will happen sometime I'm sure ;). . . .

although I'm positive you're right in saying that enemy pilots are less likely to show quarter, only because PGI has not given the new player enough immersion into the world (including a showing of houses) to acclimate themselves to the type of combat we could have in MWO . . . I've had matches in this game where I was the only one left on my team versus 6 people and got offered not only single combat (which i took) but it was honored and a fun fight for not only me, but those spectating AND the enemy team (which I managed to tear up pretty good, ended in a loss though - by the time I got to their first heavy I was just tore up too much)

keep an open mind, don't be "That Guy" and have fun - its what a game is supposed to be for!

#54 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostCataphract, on 13 November 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

Ive had on many occasions pugs reveal the location of me or others players simply because they wanted the match over faster. The game just needs to have dead players incapable of chatting with active ones.

I think someone has mentioned before that it would be nice if dead players couldn't use "all" chat. Sounded like it would solve the problem (I mean really, what else do you have to say to the other team besides 'hey, so and so is here!' and 'darn you for killing me!').

#55 dF0X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona, USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostPocket Psycho, on 13 November 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Two wrongs don't make a right, if you accuse someone of a crime but your only evidence was obtained illegally then that evidence is immissable in court and can't be used to prove guilt, also you can then be charged for the act that obtained the evidence, so yeah, 2 Wrongs =/= 1 Right.

First off, I've never actually had to report someone for hiding that was obviously not intending to play, secondly this isn't court, and thirdly evidence would be gained by watching the player. I have reported players for heat suiciding, boundary suiciding, teamkilling, etc. I will continue to do so. If I see a player purposefully farming, I will report them too.

Also, to argue that 2 wrongs does not equal right is just asinine. Why would you report someone at all if you didn't think it would result in that player receiving some kind of malus? By definition, 2 wrongs = right is the basis of a good portion of human society. MWO is no exception.

Did I say I like it? No. But it is reality.

Now, Sikosis is right that PGI does not share my view, but really, honestly, PGI doesn't really get to make the rules on what the society of players deems acceptable or not. They can try to enforce rules, and they should, but when there's an issue like this that is clearly irking a lot of players, and PGI doesn't respond (for whatever reason) the players will act, as has been evidenced by this thread.

A also agree with the players complaining that they've been reported unfairly.

All I'm saying, is that perhaps someone fooling around by logging in with the express purpose of farming, and not actually playing may be griefing the rest of the team from the start. PGI, so far, disagrees that this is something that should be enforced in some way, but clearly a large body of the players are also not pleased by this behavior.

Edited by Desrtfox, 13 November 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#56 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Report those that do to:
support@mwomercs.com

RAM
ELH
MOD

This

#57 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Refusing to fight is greifing the rest of your team. No different than a TK.

#58 dF0X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona, USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 13 November 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Yes, I agree. Where is there a copy of the community guidelines that I may review? I have looked (a little bit) on the forums and I've seen the Code of Conduct for forum use, but have been unable to find a copy of the Community Guidelines. (yes I am seriously asking where these are)

#59 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 13 November 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Refusing to fight is a strategic decision. A lost fight is already lost so you're just throwing away a mech and getting a repair bill to rush off and die. There's no honor here - only bills to pay. Some of us are cheap.

Besides - sometimes it's fun to try to hide the Atlas

Edited by TruePoindexter, 13 November 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#60 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

In the larger context, I believe "dead" players aren't supposed to be able to communicate in global/team chat, period. The intent of the spectator cameras isn't to give out free tandem cockpits for the team who's down a man. I think this is on the list of "things that are going to be fixed once PGI gets over the more serious hurdles".

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users