• Survivor
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

No more Mcdoomswinger

#542 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

View Postcaleb horsley, on 29 April 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

how co you play :D :wacko:

The game isn´t out yet, sadly. We must wait till summer. :P

#543 Bloodrain

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

one of the best raven designs i've ever seen. *-*
but i still wait for the cougar. the raven might be one of the fastest mechs ever, but nothing compares to the firepower and agility of the cougar. it's just a perfect mix.^^

#544 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostBloodrain, on 29 April 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

It's just a perfect mix.^^

Good thing it was developed in 3058, 9 years after launch. :P

Don´t get me wrong, good mech is good, but "perfect" are not any fun. :D

#545 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 699 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

love the new design , I always remember the raven was my mech of choice when doing those pesky (yet very rare) recon missions that required speed and stealth.

#546 GhostChips

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thats my ride.
Get rid of the SRMs, large laser maybe.

#547 damage

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Really interesting take on this one. The legs & feet are almost exactly the same as the classic Raven but the CT has been seariously evolved.

Actually the most intriguing thing for me is not just that this is a Davion Raven, but that it's from a very specific unit. That unit tag marks this one as a unit from the 1st Crucis Lancers. Makes me wonder if there might be an important story-plot type reason for that.

Very cool possibilities indeed.

#548 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostGhostChips, on 29 April 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Thats my ride.
Get rid of the SRMs, large laser maybe.

The problem with getting rid of the SRMs is that that limits the personal usefulness of the NARC beacon on the mech. That and the mech already runs slightly hot in the first place, so upgrading to LLs may exacerbate the problem

#549 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostIceGryphon, on 27 April 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

Only a few reasons I can think of.
1. A Sick persons idea of a cool design.
2. Acts like a nose cone of a jet and can house radar/computers/etc.

3. Artist was hungry for bananas. :P

#550 Caseck

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Love it.

Plus it's a Raven.

#551 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Had to share this... made me go from hating the design to actually liking it. From the Formerly Clan Sea Fox Thread, Now Random! thread

View PostPsychopuppet, on 29 April 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

Here it is with Nevermore on the barrels

Posted Image

#552 13Tradesman

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

One thing I notice in the story- how the pilot was for the most part caught off guard and did not notice the narc beacon! From a gameplay perspective I think this important to note- in previous Mechwarrior games you would notice the narc immediately taking away from its effectiveness (I mean come on in MW4 it would glow and pulsate on your mech and while flying through the air! Hopefully Narc here will be more discrete). In addition it was used from long range= Raven sniping with Narc beacon lol (see the little guys don't always have to gang up at close range to be effective!) So we can expect that the full range of equipment will matter in this game- good to know!

#553 Peace Possum

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 56 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC, USA, Terra

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

I really don't see the "bushwacker" complaint. I suggest taking another look at the Bushy next to this thing(though not that abominable mess Duane Loose drew. Please fire him, CGL. Into a Stackpoling reactor.)
It's a beautiful rendition of a mech that looked cool but a bit too Star League for its age of production--so many rounded surfaces when they're much more into flats in the Succession Wars/pre-Invasion time. As I recall, the Marauder was a pain in the CTR to maintain because of how curvy it was--they couldn't manufacture such smooth curves anymore.
If this is 1980s 31st century, then this is really how the Raven should've looked, like it was cut of the same cloth as the then-bleeding edge F-117.
I detect a note of venom for the Awesome fanboys in the behavior and ridiculous naming of the Awesome pilot.

#554 Peace Possum

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 56 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC, USA, Terra

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 28 April 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Posted Image

I think the design looks good. Kudos to FD!

I do, however, have one critique:
Perhaps the model could be adjusted to have the same "droop-nose" characteristic of the Aérospatiale-BAC Concorde, Tupolev TU-144, and Fairey Delta 2?

Concorde:
Posted Image
Posted Image

TU-144:
Posted Image

FD2:
Posted Image

The (single-position) "droop-nose" on a Raven could/would have the same design justification as that found on the above-mentioned aircraft - to improve pilot visibility with regard to terrain and ground-level objects ahead of the vehicle.
As an added bonus, it would also (IMO) bring a more bird-like appearance to the design (which enhances the justification for the name) and brings it closer to the appearance of the original TRO design while still retaining the FD/MWO aesthetic.

Your thoughts?

If some mechs could be assigned an "auxiliary ability" button, like activating a spotlight to augment regular running lights or activating the droop-nose function, I think it would be a really neat immersion-booster. I like this idea a lot, especially if NPC Elementals are thrown at us as part of the Invasion. Droop-nose would be a smart move for the Raven to see Toads. Just make it so that the mechanic can't be abused(no waggling your nose like a moron, no hiding vulnerable spots with it so that we don't see everyone running into battle with their nose dropped all the time to guard their legs or something).

#555 buck3tface

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

It certainly looks more like it's namesake, though im not sure i like it more or less than the original art.

#556 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

View Postguardian wolf, on 28 April 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Becuase trying to render that in Cry Engine, would take up more valuable time, and not to mention, make some serious performance issues, unlike this one. Besides, it said so in the intro, this isn't your father's mechwarrior, they are trying to make this new art current, and I for one, approve. It's about time we got past the lastest Dark Age FUGLY art.

View PostFredrick, on 29 April 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

If some mechs could be assigned an "auxiliary ability" button, like activating a spotlight to augment regular running lights or activating the droop-nose function, I think it would be a really neat immersion-booster. I like this idea a lot, especially if NPC Elementals are thrown at us as part of the Invasion. Droop-nose would be a smart move for the Raven to see Toads. Just make it so that the mechanic can't be abused(no waggling your nose like a moron, no hiding vulnerable spots with it so that we don't see everyone running into battle with their nose dropped all the time to guard their legs or something).

When I suggested a drooped-nose as a possible design modification, I meant to do so in the sense that it would be fixed in the drooped position; that is, it would not be actuated/movable and the nose-tip would be another ~5-10 degrees lower than the forward-most point of the canopy glass (such that the tip of the nose would be in the same plane as the point at which the torso twists).

Unfortunately, my photo-editing-fu is too weak to modify the image to show what I'm describing... >_>

#557 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

So, all these people saying the nose needs to droop... you realize it already does right? Maybe it's the angle that you're having trouble picturing it with, but the nose angles downward, just not curved and not to the silly degree of the old art.

If they put out the iso of it, it would make it much more clear.

#558 Henry Pride

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWorms, Germany

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

The cockpit is pretty slim compared to the tabletop figure, but i like the style..

#559 Vertous

• PipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSummerville, SC

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

i made that poll! <_<

#560 Wahrsager

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:31 PM