[Guide] Going Commando

78 replies to this topic

#21 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

View PostEwigan, on 19 November 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

0.67 tons sounds not that much, but it really IS much. and i will have my new shiny XL soon, should be only ~4 more matches ( i have 3.1 M in my bank account).

And for speed is life/your armor: OF COURSE it is. but even the slowest of my commies, the 1B with the meanest punch of 'em all, has a speed of 97kph. that outruns most mechs.
AND of course i am going to get XLs for all of them. I love me my commies! The only problem will be, that if i try to master a 2nd chassis at some point i will have to get more mechbays.... ^^

btw: i LOVE your sig!

Thank you ;)

As for FF: You won't have room for XL, DHS, ES, and FF. One has to go, and of those four FF is the best choice to drop:
XL engine gives you huge weight savings and/or speed increase, DHS gives you the heat management you need, and ES is a straight-up 1-ton save. FF just can't compete here with its 0.67 tons saved - especially not if it means giving up any of the other three due to not having enough crit slots free.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and if you're comfortable with dropping one of the other don't let me discourage you from doing so. Personally, I don't bother with FF on any of my Commandos due to the reasons I've given.

Edited by stjobe, 19 November 2012 - 04:28 AM.

#22 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

huh? i won't ?
I calculated a bit, and i SHOULD have enough space for the 18(?) crits that my XL engine will take.
Especially cause i can completely get rid of my non-engine-DHS that i have because of my to tiny reactor.

let's see, i GUESS i have 3 or 4 DHS outside my engine, that would make 9-12 crits. a normal engine are 6 crits.
So when i add my 210 XL AND remove those 4 not needed anymore DHS i definitely have the slots!

But i will test that when i have the time and report back.
Maybe today, maybe tomorrow.... definitely at some point ;)

p.s.: But yeah, if i have to remove anything it definititely will be FF!

#23 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

View PostEwigan, on 19 November 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

huh? i won't ?
I calculated a bit, and i SHOULD have enough space for the 18(?) crits that my XL engine will take.
Especially cause i can completely get rid of my non-engine-DHS that i have because of my to tiny reactor.

let's see, i GUESS i have 3 or 4 DHS outside my engine, that would make 9-12 crits. a normal engine are 6 crits.
So when i add my 210 XL AND remove those 4 not needed anymore DHS i definitely have the slots!

You can't go below 10 heat sinks, so even with your 210XL you'll need to allocate 2x3 crits for the engine-external double heatsinks; the engine only has eight internal heat-sinks.

I will go back on my claim a bit though; depending on your load-out, you *might* be able to squeeze in XL, DHS, ES, FF, and your weapons and ammo. But that will depend on you having at most eleven DHS, otherwise you can't make everything fit. And with DHS being 1.4 these days, you might find that a tad on the hot side.

Edited by stjobe, 19 November 2012 - 05:25 AM.

#24 Kelpaz

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationAzgariith

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Why did you not try the 1D? After mastering each commando variant I came up with the most fun variant.
Also having an XL enigne in a commando is the way of commando to me, a suicidal feeling that at any moment I can die,
except at most times I survive the most incredible odds.

After playing through three catapults I decided on having fun with the Commando because I had alot of money

My First Commando was a COM 2D "MASS-MURDER9"
XL 170 Engine, Armor 144, 10 Heatsinks (Later version features DHS to solve the age old super overheating problem I had.)
2X SRM6 1X Medium Laser and 4 tons of SRM ammo.

The way I saw it was purely meant as an anti assault mech, or LRM boat remover, I would often locate LRM launchers by tracking their missiles, and then going in that direction.
Against light mechs it was horrible, agaisnt assaults well let's just say I could beat them up badly or outright murder them, hence the nickname.
At other times it was great at adding extra firepower into a fight. (I often nicknamed the SRM attack, a Rocket punch)

Second commando COM 3A "POWERGLOVE17"
Early variant
XL 170 engine, 96 armor (By hotswapping the Xl 170 from the 2D I did not need to buy a new engine)
2X Medium Lasers 1X SRM4 1X SSRM2 one ton ammo each
Late variant
XL 195 Engine 144 armor 11 DHS, Endo
2X Medium pulse laser 1X SRM6 2 tons of SRM ammo

Good at dogfights with other lights, still dangerous to some heavier mechs.
Feels flexible in a fight.

Third Commando and all time favorite, this one is a very expensive build XD
Commando 1D "DARKMATTER7"
XL 210 Engine, 143 Armor 10 DHS, Endo, FF
2X Medium lasers 2X SRM4 3 tons of SRM ammo

This is the ultimate Commando build to me, I remember the first try with it, it felt like I had warpdrives, once I had the taste of speed I had a hard time going back into an assault mech.
It seems that people are surrpised when they see a good Commando pilot, often things happen so fast that I don't realize that I have destroyed several enemies before the Victory/Defeat screen pops up.

Never tried the 1B because... lol I don't like having lot's of energy and only one missile hardpoint.
I guess it's personal taste.

Yes STREAKS while annoying and devastating to me is a weapon I avoid using, not just because of the cheesy no skill feel of it (That I got from piloting a STREAK-CAT)
But because of the loss of focused damage potential I get with SRM.

I have become alot better at handling Streak jenners and learned more about manouvering straight behind them where their 90 degree curving Aim bot missiles can't get me.
Still when I can, I just try to avoid streak carrying annoyances. (And attack them when they are busy with someone else)

Edited by Kelpaz, 19 November 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#25 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Well, my first variants all were SRM based, what i used to hunt LRM boats and generally heavy/assault classes.

The thing is though: as YOU ARE the light, an equal number of lights will start in the other team. and SOMEONE has to hunt those lights.
So my commandos use streaks... that keeps jenners running.

#26 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

Best guide ever, sticky this.
I love my little child mech which is the commando :D he try's sooo hard and when you pull it off the satisfaction is the best in game.

#27 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

I mastered the Commando back in the closed beta. (required less xp for master than now, though)

All I can say is that if you`re not the fastest mech on the battlefield, you might as well go home. Swapping the stock STD150 for XL200 was the game changer for me.

I thought I would die more with XL, but what happened was exactly the opposite: my k/d ratio doubled.

With a STD150 when a Jenner decides to kill you, he will. You can either try to run away and get backstabbed, because it can outrun you, or try to circle fight it and die because of it`s superior armor and firepower.

On the other hand with XL200 and 3 streaks, you`ll eat stock Jenner for breakfast. With Speed tweak this gives you 139,32 kph and there is nothing faster on the battlefield. There is a hard cap on max speed besides the engine restrictions. A Jenner might think he`s doing 149 kph, but he`ll be moving at 140.

And as for the armor, there`s only one way to go: 176/178 (5.5 tons). Strip it only if you enjoy dying. And forget about FF.

My favorite builds:
COM-2D
XL200 + 2xDHS
3xSSRM2+2T Ammo (in the legs)
Medium Pulse laser

Not much to say here: keep the crosshairs on target firing Medium pulse laser until you lock them, then fire away your missiles, preferably at their back. Optimal range of engagement 150-250 meters. The bane of light mechs. When fighting larger opponents, don`t waste ammo on their front armor. One more thing: TAG does not affect SSRMs.

COM-1B
XL200+2xDHS
SRM6+1T ammo
2xMPL
1xSL

Why go for MPL? Because 1 second burn of ML is too long, and 90 meter range of SPL is too short for comfort. The most effective strategy is to harass your target (preferably its back) and disengage before it shoot back. Keep outside of the SL boats range. CMD-1B is great for city fighting. Run around the corner, shoot, then hide behind another building before anyone has a chance of locking onto you with their SSRMs.

CMD-1B only has 2 missile tubes, that means the SRM6 launches 3 quick and accurate salvos 2 rockets each. Way more accurate than a 6-tube launcher, and 3x times more cockpit shake. You are able to place all the rockets on a slow moving or stationary target from 150-200 meters.

You`ve only got 16 salvos so don`t waste it on fast mechs. Unless that pesky Jenner overheats and poweres down - then fire away!
http://www.youtube.c...FPzNrkKQ0#t=28s

Edited by Kmieciu, 21 November 2012 - 02:43 AM.

#28 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hm... just curious - I've never seen a really good commando... or killed them anyway if they engaged without second thought. Playing on jenner unfortunately means that you have enough things to take care of ther than watching another commandos performing good or bad. But after this guide I really think I should give one a try.
I especially like the point about asymmetrical armour of sides and about hands. 've never noticed that before and even 5ml jenner-f doesn't need it - if you lose a... well technically speaking it's an arm... then you are doing something wrong and probably get toast in next volley.
BTW can anybody can tell me the armour numbers for c's legs? Sometimes it goes off extremely easy and sometimes they don't... I wonder...

#29 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

YAY, i did it.
I maxed out the first of my 3 ;)
Well, not skill-wise, but equipment wise.

So, my new 1B:

Endo,
FF,
10DHS,
210XL
158/178 Armor

Weapons:
3 Med. Pulse Laser
1 Streak

That thing is CRAZY fast and i LOVE piloting it :D

the other 2 only have top speeds of 123 and 110, i am working on that though :wub:

Edited by Ewigan, 21 November 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#30 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

crazy fast is jenner xl300/280... or before speed cap something about 260 for commando - but i never witnessed it myself... only started to play after nanonerf

#31 CannonFodder86

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 93 posts
  • LocationIn front of the cannon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostSandro Mc, on 21 November 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

BTW can anybody can tell me the armour numbers for c's legs? Sometimes it goes off extremely easy and sometimes they don't... I wonder...

A Commando is pretty fragile anyways so some pilot try to skimp on the leg armor to get a little extra weight. Presonally i think it's a bad idea because once you lose a leg you're worse than dead.

#32 Evrik

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Great guide. The 1D is a favorite personally, I’ll drop the armor in the left arm to almost 0 and most pilots have a hard time hitting my right arm. Commando legs top at 24, I won’t run with them lower than 20 better to take the arms and their for their fire power.

#33 Logen Ninefingers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 127 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

I'm only piloting COMs, yes 4 founder mechs collecting dust in my mechgarage, and I would like to add a point about Armor.
I distribute it evenly between front and back CT and R/LT (16/16 and 12/12).
In my experience this is the thing that keeps me alive beside speed...

Question: Is the 140 kph speedlimit still in the game or did they up that to 150?
If its still 140, I could rip out my XL210 and take a smaller engine...

#34 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

View PostKottlewski, on 23 November 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

I'm only piloting COMs, yes 4 founder mechs collecting dust in my mechgarage, and I would like to add a point about Armor.
I distribute it evenly between front and back CT and R/LT (16/16 and 12/12).
In my experience this is the thing that keeps me alive beside speed...

Very good point, I do the same. It's a lifesaver.

Question: Is the 140 kph speedlimit still in the game or did they up that to 150?

AFAIK the cap is still around 140. I don't have any evidence apart from that I haven't read or seen anything about a raised cap; personally I use XL195s in my Commandos (so I only hit a 135.9 kph top speed with speed tweak).

#35 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

A Streak Commando with XL200 can rip a slow Jenner-F to shreds The only counter for the Jenner pilot is to attack head on and lagshoot. I remember being killed by a commando while mastering my Jenners once or twice.

But given equal skill of the pilots, fully upgraded Jenner-D is superior to fully upgraded COM-2D. Better armor, better firepower, and then there are jumpjets. You can jump onto a building in River City and a Commando can`t do squat. It`s streaks will crash into the building while yours can be fired over the ledge.

And the price difference is negligible: 7 mil for fully decked COM-2D and 10 mil for the JR7-D. So until some sort of "mech battle value" matchmaking is introduced, I stick to my Jenny.

#36 CannonFodder86

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 93 posts
  • LocationIn front of the cannon

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I have the XL210 and with the speed tweak i can get up to 146ish kph.

View PostKmieciu, on 23 November 2012 - 06:17 AM, said:

But given equal skill of the pilots, fully upgraded Jenner-D is superior to fully upgraded COM-2D. Better armor, better firepower, and then there are jumpjets. You can jump onto a building in River City and a Commando can`t do squat. It`s streaks will crash into the building while yours can be fired over the ledge.

Mid jump you're wide open for a volley. By the time you're up there and ready to take advantage of your firing position a smart pilot would be long gone or hugging the building, either way you have about as good as an angle as the other guy. Doesn't really matter what you pilot, no ones gonna stick around in the open to take fire if they can't return it.

#37 vietnamabc

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Great guide but how long does it takes you to elite the 3 COM and is COM a good C-Bill grinder?

#38 Johnny Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Commando-3A 'Tiny' is one of my favorite mechs in the game right now.

My load out is:
- ES+DHS
- LL, ML, 2xSSRMs
- XL 170

I've been surprised with the damage output i have gotten, 485 was the highest and I've gotten a decent amount of kills using it.

Love the write up, so much good knowledge!

Thanks

Edited by Johnny Morgan, 24 November 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#39 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

View Postvietnamabc, on 24 November 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

Great guide but how long does it takes you to elite the 3 COM and is COM a good C-Bill grinder?

How long it takes to complete elite depends on your average XP per match.

The basic efficiencies total 14,250 XP, which at an average XP per match of 500 means 29 matches. Three times that is 87 matches.

The elite efficiencies total 21,500 XP, which at 500 XP/match average means 43 matches. Three times that is 129 matches.

So, if you average 500 XP/match, getting elite unlocked for one variant is 87 + 43 = 130 matches. All three variants would be 216 matches.

Master efficiencies are another 21,500 XP, or 129 matches for all three variants. Grand total, 345 matches to master all three variants.

Of course, if your average XP/match is higher, it'll go faster, and if it's lower, it will take more matches.

As for CB-grinder, a Commando with just energy weapons and little in the way of tier-2 equipment (no XL engine, no Endo Steel, etc) can be extremely efficient. On the other hand, I use XL engines, Endo Steel, and Double Heat Sinks in all of my Commandos, and I've never lost money on a match. Ever. Even in a StreakMando the R&R costs only very rarely top 50,000 CB, and I've been as low as three digits on numerous occasions.

Edited by stjobe, 24 November 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#40 Nuck Fewton

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

XL 195

1 MPL
3x Streaks + 3 tons of ammo

endo and 10 DHS
~~~~~~~~~~

I named it, "Pinprick"
I love the little guy but even I admit that streaks need a nerf. I thought they were almost fine before this latest change. I'm wondering what module to buy first, maybe the capture one?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users