• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

EDIT /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
New podcast on this subject

Discussion thread by moderator
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

In NoGutsNoGalaxy podcast "Mechs, Devs, & Beer #2: Russ Bullock" it was announced.

3rd Person view is coming.

Why and How?
It seems new players have problem with torso twist, legs and movement and the coordination required to pilot the mech, according to Russ.
So they want to help, by showing via the 3rd person view.

They also plan to add a "way" to define wich type of play the match will have: 1st person, 3rd person or both.
This can be done via your House/Merc/Clan settings on community warfare.
So you will be able to choose only to play against other 1st person players, or 3rd, or allow any of the two.

Meanwhile : the "update" post

KEEP VOTING.
WE ARE THE GAME, LET OUR VOICE BE HEARD

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
EDIT 1
PGI has created an offcial thread (below) i ask all of you to CAST YOUR VOTE ABOVE, (TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME), then go to officcial thread and voice your concerns, opinions and suggestions.

EDIT: Please send your feedback to this OFFICIAL specifically created thread
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Edited by Niko Snow, 24 January 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#2 Toolan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany, Lower Saxony

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

absolutely no.
even when i dont want to use it, it would ruin my Mechwarrior feeling

#3 The Herrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

I don't mind 3rd person for spectator mode but whenever you are in control of your mech it should be in 1st person. Yes, even when you fall over in collisions with other mechs (if they ever add it back in). I don't wanna see my Jenner faceplant the ground, I want to be in the mech watching my pilot brace himself during the fall, get shaken about in the impact and then fumble with the controls in a blind panic as he struggles to get the mech back on it's feet.

WHERES MUH IMMERSUNS?

#4 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

It's good we completely eliminate the very fancy cockpit from the gameplay equation.

#5 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

I thought they were adamant in this being a first person only game? To keep with the immersion/simulation factor.

#6 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

Good Gracious, sign me up for the permanent No-3PV games. I liked the view in SP games because LOOK I HAVE A COOL ROBOT IT IS FITING STUFF but for real battling vs real pilots it feels soooo cheap and dirty. I'm sure some people will like it but I will not use it unless it's some kind of order from a CO.

#7 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

3rd person during play is lame, but a replay feature after the match where you could go 3rd person or freecam would be welcome

#8 Rogbull

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

No no no no no, no, no... Are they seriously considering splitting the playerbase on the point of view???

If anyone picked up on a nuance that our friend Arkani here didn't mention, do tell. Because I don't see this implementation having any merit.

#9 Toolan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany, Lower Saxony

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

oh, splitting the players in Lame 3rd person noob and 1sr Person Hardcores...not Bad...but no. 1st Person view is the only Option for a Mechwarrior

#10 The Herrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

View PostRogbull, on 14 November 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

No no no no no, no, no... Are they seriously considering splitting the playerbase on the point of view???

What, it isn't like the playerbase is already tiny... ohwait.

I'm positive PGI are trying to sabotage this game on purpose.

#11 arkani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

My opinion:
I do not agree. This is a simulator game.
The coordination of the torso twist and movement/direction of legs is one of the things that makes the game different from other games.
This diferences are the reason i play and like the game.

Do new players need help? I can relate to that, its a hard step learning curve.
Is 3rd person the solution?
I dont think so. 3rd person will make the game different, the game will be a role playing game. It will break the game mechanic.

My suggestion:
How to help new players?
One way could be creating training matches/games. A solaris training ground were you can go alone or with other players that will teach you. Add a few simple moving targets to shoot at. A simple map with moving stuff inside.
Other House/Merc/Clan pilots can go in with you and help you train, this will even help to immerse the new player in the MechaWarrior game and mentality.
This will even help House/Merc/Clan to training for missions, test tactics, and even test mech configurations.

This is so simple and immensely superior immersion for the new players and would reduce the learning because you would get "trainers" instead of trying to learn it on your own.

#12 AC Rimak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 241 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(well I'm okay of adding 3rd prerson for spectators)

FP only is such a good factor it should not be sacked!

A map with interactive playground will be enought to teach the basics.

Within 20 matches you are okay to pilot your mech in 1stpv.

nonononononno pls!

Edited by AC Rimak, 15 November 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#13 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

I guess we needed a more fallout 3 experience. Maybe if they add in VATS, then everybody will be happy, too.

Would you be opposed to added tumble mechanics for my commandos? You know, to even the playing field, and providing a more stimulating experience.

#14 prox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

Optional 3rd person mode forces everyone into using it for obvious reason. Which means the whiny playerbase wins again.
Solution: give people a TUTORIAL in 3rd person mode so they can get used to controlling their mech. Don't (ever) implement 3rd person view for the PvP part. Tnx.

#15 Darzok

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

It kind of removes part of the game flank attacks why bother to turn when you can fast change to 3rd look behind to check then back again.

It is just not needed when i first joined MWO i was a massive mega noob i was able to learn how to use the torso twist and know where the legs was pointing with in the first game after a few more i got fully use to it with in 4-6 games i was 100% fine with it.

If its added most new players will never learn how to fully control the mech they will just go 3rd every time they need to move most likely even fight never going in to 1st it just adds nothing to have 3rd.

#16 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 14 November 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

It's good we completely eliminate the very fancy cockpit from the gameplay equation.

Cockpits are OP!!!!!

#17 superbob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

I <3 the mech models and wouldn't mind looking at all the eye candy from 3rd person. But wouldn't want to actually play the game like that. I don't really care if they implement it, I'd definitely like it for spectator mode. If it helps to keep the game afloat then fine. Besides, following the logic of people unable to handle the game in 1st person mode playing 3rd person, this only means more shtty casual gamers for real mechwarrior fans to stomp while grinding cbills, not much difference when it comes to any serious competitive/clan vs clan matches.

#18 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

View Postprox711, on 14 November 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

Optional 3rd person mode forces everyone into using it for obvious reason. Which means the whiny playerbase wins again.
Solution: give people a TUTORIAL in 3rd person mode so they can get used to controlling their mech. Don't (ever) implement 3rd person view for the PvP part. Tnx.

But it's important we appeal to the Skyrim audience. i want to know why they made the cockpit if this was on the schedule all along.

No one's gonna use first person if you can see around corners, and over hills.

#19 AndyHill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

Do 1st person persons now get a 360 degree radar, too? Since that's the only logical conclusion from this change. Just yesterday, out of ammo in a srm cat I helped the team win a tight cap race by standing close behind a capping enemy. I followed him a bit when he was moving in the area and he noticed way too late that their cap meter wasn't ticking. Fun was had by the whole team.

Please no, no 3rd person during the match or you ruin the sensor warfare system currently in the game.

#20 Kribson

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

They should absolutley introduce 3rd person for the people that have problems steering their mech. Moreover there should be an option to activate an aim bot for people having problems with that. Another great idea would be a to add an infinite ammo and armor mode, cause i noticed some people find it difficult to evade enemy fire...

Whatever you do...in the end the game should become as boring and least challenging as possible

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users