• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

Cannot add HTML element to this editor.
I want to do the same. =)

Yea, I agree, but I mostly added that in just because we know that 3rd person is most likely coming.
This is the best and only place it could be in, short of not being there at all.

View PostChet Manley, on 15 November 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

This. With listed corrections. :P

#42 Curon Hifor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationMy Enforcer

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

F'ing signed.

#43 Slyck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

There is a wiki.

http://mwowiki.org/w...title=Main_Page

#44 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Yes, that is there, but it is not an official part of the PGI/MWO site and info where they participate in adding content and data.
There is not direct link to it on this site and is not brought forth as an integral part of the new player experience.

A wiki on the MWO site with MWO specific data and info and pulling data from Sarna if that is possible to flesh things out.
A MWO sponsored/created/linked with get more use and support than an external one.

#45 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostTaryys, on 15 November 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

Yes, that is there, but it is not an official part of the PGI/MWO site and info where they participate in adding content and data.
There is not direct link to it on this site and is not brought forth as an integral part of the new player experience.

A wiki on the MWO site with MWO specific data and info and pulling data from Sarna if that is possible to flesh things out.
A MWO sponsored/created/linked with get more use and support than an external one.

it still baffles me that the tutorial video wasn't embedded into the MWO launcher main page in a more visible manner. Sure, it has "visit the training grounds now", but any first time log on should immediately be told, perhaps in a popup box, to watch the video.

Edited by Orzorn, 15 November 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#46 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Yea, I agree to an extent.
I am really hoping that they are working the a tutorial or some of the many things I posted about.

View PostOrzorn, on 15 November 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

it still baffles me that the tutorial video wasn't embedded into the MWO launcher main page in a more visible manner. Sure, it has "visit the training grounds now", but any first time log on should immediately be told, perhaps in a popup box, to watch the video.

#47 Imagine Dragons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 15 November 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

I agree with your points but I think other than matchmaking, they are all 'nice to haves'. Matchmaking by itself will remove the greatest barrier to a new player, which is nobody likes getting stomped by premades in better mechs while they are still trying to figure out the controls.

If new players play other new players or just simply bad players, and they're winning half the time even if they are just bumbling around, then they'll keep playing the game. If they get stomped 20 matches in a row they'll much more likely just leave.

MWO should not have an EVE Online barrier to entry. It pretty much does right now, only unlike in EVE where you can blame 10 years of people grinding away, MWO is a new game.

I'd wager even EVE has a better tutorial / new player indoctrination than MWO right now...

#48 Ghost Inc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 136 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

All in all good stuff. You should be hired by PGI.

... add a Robust Tutorial and Practice Arena: The real answer and the most important thing that this game needs for newbies is a robust client side tutorial and a practice area. Here they can learn how to pilot through the tutorial process and then take their trial mechs out for a spin to get used to it. You will want to throw carrots and achievements in this process too. You could even throw the 3rd person here in the tutorial so that people can use it to get acclimated to mechs.

- Absolutely agreed.

... integrate C3 for PUGs: What will really help new players in addition to this is C3 integration for PUGs. Communication is key in a team based game like this. Once PUGs and new playes have access to voice comms MWO becomes a totally different game.

- Agreed

... add a Robust Text Chat Option: a robust text chat option is great for those who wish to not use or cannot use voice comms. This also gives us a more persistent form or communication that people can use. Voice is fleeting and text chat is always there and available on screen to relay tactical info.

- SO TOTALLY AGREED ! Very imporant, will help a great deal

... add Stat Based Matched Making: Adding stat based match making so new players will be matched with new players. Note, I did not say trials to trials, since vets can pilot trials too. This will keep them from getting ROFLstomped by vet players, and give them a chance to learn and suck together and learn together.

- Not so much agreed. Very easy to abuse. Better find a different solution.

... add a Battlvalue Based Match Making: balancing match making via battle value will also help so people with more tricked out rides will drop against each other. This may be more effective in balancing out teams then straight tonnage or weight class, although that should be taken into account at least a little bit.

- agreed

... add a pregame lobby: A pregame lobby will allow people to talk, chat, socialize, plan and share tactics, figure out what mechs to play, and so on, so that a group can better work together as a team.

- FULL Agree. Will also be very helpful to make you feel less lonely.

... option to Lock Torso to Legs: A stop gap idea to help new pilots adjust would be to add a button to lock torso to legs until they are able to put on their big mech pants on and join the big leagues by learning to fully utilize torso twisting, and the independent movement of arms and legs. This was one of the most difficult things for me to adjust to.

- Nice Idea!

... option to Auto-rotate Legs to Torso: another stop gap option to help new pilots adjust would be to add a button to auto-rotate legs to torso.

- Na, that will make it too easy

... give 1 week of Premium Time: If you give them 1 free week of premium time they will get used to the extra money. This will also give them a monetary boost and get them into a mech sooner, in addition to getting them hooked on Premium time like a drug = more money for you!

- Good Idea. Better then free c-bills.

... give access to MechLab: The primary thing that needs to be done to lessen the grindyness of the grind is to give them access to the mech lab. Allow trials access to mechlab and level 1 tech, and not be able to change the engine, and let them modify the mech based on what ever CBills they have, and when the trial mechs switch the players keep the stuff that they bought to outfit their next trial/purchased mech.

- Not yet decided, but sounds fun.

... pay to Trial a Variant: I think it may be great to allow people to be able to select a variant that they want to trial in addition to the random ones. If they find one they like they may be more inclined to purchase it. Perhaps have the ability to pay a small amount of MC to be able to trial that specific mech, or perhaps to be able to trial any variants for week for a cost. This can create another small revenue stream, especially each time a new mech comes out. New players will want to try out the new mech to see if they want it.

- Nah, I do not like this

... add a Wiki: add a wiki so that we can aggregate our guide, weapon data, mech data, advice, and so on that way we can give all users new and experienced a one stop shop to find MWO info.

- Well there is a wiki. Just let the users post their guides (quality control, please. Liquipedia shows you the way!) and link it to the Main Menu of the game

Edited by IncorporeaL GhosT, 15 November 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#49 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Why? I am really interested in this?

Not so much agreed. Very easy to abuse. Better find a different solution.

and this

Nah, I do not like this

Edited by Taryys, 15 November 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#50 Slyck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

There's a link to the wiki in the Community tab of this site. Also wikis are meant to be developed by the community, so I rather prefer that it be run by the community rather then the devs.

#51 Brynstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

The most pressing matters I see and hear (new) people talk about seem to be the tutorial/starter arena, and the Lobby staging chat area. Both are great ideas.

#52 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

good to know... interesting...
Perhaps I should rethink my wiki request...

View PostSlyck, on 15 November 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

There's a link to the wiki in the Community tab of this site. Also wikis are meant to be developed by the community, so I rather prefer that it be run by the community rather then the devs.

Edited by Taryys, 15 November 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#53 Mr Ezekial

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Not sure if this has been said before but after the game maybe kick back to the lobby. Many a times i would be talking to someone new then bam... Score screen end of convo. Add a button to add as friend in lobby too?

#54 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yoink!

View PostMr Ezekial, on 15 November 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

Not sure if this has been said before but after the game maybe kick back to the lobby. Many a times i would be talking to someone new then bam... Score screen end of convo. Add a button to add as friend in lobby too?

#55 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostRelic1701, on 14 November 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Maybe allow trial mechs to earn global XP, as this is 'personal' xp, not 'chassis' xp, this would also allow the new player to feel like they are actually doing something constructive, and would give an incentive to actually perform in game, instead of just afk/suicide etc.

Although I think the idea itself has merit, I have to ask. In regard to the "free" player, what good is "Global" XP, when without access to the MechLab, just like XP, (which Trials do not get either, for obvious reasons), there are "zero" uses for it?

Let's assume, just for a minute that "Global XP" is provided, and somehow applicable to a Trial Mech. Given the current 5% conversion rate of total XP generated per Match, and a Trial was to earn only 25%, (same as C-bills) of any "converted XP" it generates, it would take literally months to earn enough "Global XP" to be even remotely useful to a Trail Mech under the Perks/Pilot/Upgrades tab.

If a total overhaul of current Trial Mechs is done, this could be doable indeed. Just adding it in won't help the "free" player much.

Edited by MaddMaxx, 15 November 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#56 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Carrot...
They eventually will have use for it.

View PostMaddMaxx, on 15 November 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

Although I think the idea itself has merit, I have to ask. In regard to the "free" player, what good is "Global" XP, when without access to the MechLab, just like XP, which the Trials do not get either for obvious reasons, there are "zero" uses for it?

that idea could use some refinement...

#57 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I had this though yesterday and I don't recall it being mentioned anywhere:

Buy a first mech "on credit".

ok hear me out, a new player can select any mech he wants (so long as he doesn't already own a mech) and start running and modifying that mech. However, that mechs original cost will need to be earned back (basically a negative balance) and that Mech cannot ever be sold. It would keep trial mechs viable as a way to determine which mech to choose (being that it will be a permanent choice) and the trial mechs are still there to help earn that money back if you run into repair issues and/or are havign a hard time being profitable.

But it would skip a bit of the grind, allow a player to start getting xp for himself while still "earning" that first mech of their own, also it creates an incentive to invest in the paintjobs and bobble heads from the git go as well as premium time as you are getting MC for the pretty stuff anyway so you can "pay off" your mech faster.

it's not perfect as it stands but it could be an interesting approach.

Edited by Agent of Change, 15 November 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#58 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

My primary problem with this approach is that newbies have no idea what they are getting into and may greatly regret doing this.

Having people be able to use and modify Trial mechs to get acclimated to piloting and modifying, and then, perhaps, pay a little to be able to pilot a variant of their choice sidesteps all issues of regret and QQing about wasted money and buyers remorse.

#59 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostTaryys, on 15 November 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

My primary problem with this approach is that newbies have no idea what they are getting into and may greatly regret doing this.

Having people be able to use and modify Trial mechs to get acclimated to piloting and modifying, and then, perhaps, pay a little to be able to pilot a variant of their choice sidesteps all issues of regret and QQing about wasted money and buyers remorse.

True, i just wanted to throw it out there and it didn't deserve it's own thread.... so i used yours. :P

#60 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

fair enough =)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users