- - - - -

Good First Mech?

69 replies to this topic

#61 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

Interesting build Ark, I might have to try that someday on my K2. I've currently got a smaller XL engine in mine, but could always swap out the one in my Sarah and give it a go from there. My only concern would be lack of AMS and in-close weaponry in case some poo-head in a Spider decides he wants to dance with me. Finding spots from which you can plink off shots without being painted by LRM's is a talent I'm still working on. :)

#62 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

My first mech was an HBK-4SP, and it turned out to be a good choice.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5e9ac2fd25a541e
When I first started using this configuration, I was too eager to use the "rocket shotguns", so I was getting too close to the enemy and overheating a lot. After talking to better players about their tactics, I changed my mindset to "LAZORS!!!" Zap the enemy all you can with the lasers. The SRMs are for targets of opportunity that wander so close you can be sure most of the missiles will hit. The missiles are also "crit-finders" for targets with some part of their armor missing. Once I changed my tactics I overheated less, was a harder target, and my record damage with the 4SP went up 100 points right away.

I like my Catapults, but they end up being expensive because an XL engine is practically required to get the most out of them. My second mech was a CPLT-C1, which wasn't as durable, and I wasn't happy with it at first. I had learned a few lessons the hard way before I got a CPLT-K2 and was happy with it. I've actually seen a player take a dead stock K2, climb a spire on Tourmaline Desert, set the PPCs to group fire, and snipe at the enemy for 500+ points of damage. For mere mortals like me, it's easier to use this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6d82b18fe3a854
Machine guns have been buffed into usefulness, and are great crit-finders.
ArkNemesis' PPC/Gauss configuration is also good.
You have to use cover. You don't want to stray far from cover, or bigger teammates who scare the enemy more. The Center Torso hitbox is huge. The "head" hitbox isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still the biggest one in the game and it's at the center of mass. Don't stare at the enemy trying to line up a shot. If the shot is too hard turn away, take cover, and look for a better shot, because you don't get any more shots once you take a cockpit hit from a like-minded sniper. You have to protect your glass jaw in order to use your iron fist.

One day I got a CTF-1X, and with 20/20 hindsight I think it would have been a good first mech. People complain about the big side torso hitboxes, how wide it is, and so on, so I was surprised at how durable it was. I've tried different configs, but I always keep a standard engine in it.

This configuration works surprisingly well, but I couldn't have used it as a beginner. It would have been too much heat and too many weapon groups for me to manage. (The Weapon Lab says it can overheat in 9 seconds).
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...11344c328456a34
In order to run cooler, you could try this, which will supposedly take 15 seconds to overheat:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...da98fa82ae6839e
It retains the virtue of high-mounted energy weapons that make it easier to fire over terrain. The big ol' monkey arm are less than waist-high, which limits the use of any weapons you mount there. Regardless, the large lasers are good to reach out and touch someone, for damage and kill assists up to 900m away. If you can use 3 weapon groups, then when the mech gets hot you can use the cannon to rattle somebody while you cool off.

It's not fast, and to make it fast you either use an XL engine or give up weapons, which I don't advise. So, when you're commited to a target, you're open to several seconds of return fire, because it will take you a while to get back behind cover.

When I was new the CN9-A was available as a trial mech. I was intrigued by it, but it was a deathtrap on the battlefield. It was a big target, not very fast, and ran really hot. Once I had my own, I was glad I hadn't gotten it for my first mech. It still ran hot, even with double heat sinks.
One day, after the May 21st LRM buff, I started using it like this, and it didn't suck any more:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...784b047ab26ae83
The LRMs all fire at once, overwhelm the enemy's AMS, and smash down onto them in one big glob. (They'd be useless in chain fire.)

More advanced players who use a Centurion are often exploiting the "ghost hitboxes", which have been a known issue for some time, and the developers haven't given us any hint that of when they'll fix it. With that in mind, here's an example of a "Zombie Centurion" that doesn't lose any firepower once the arms are blown off:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...04c59b4e957a536
You set the missiles for group fire, wait patiently for a the enemy to get close to your team, and while they're busy shooting someone else you get up in their business (<<270m!) and hit them with 18 missiles at a time. When you start taking hits, you torso twist (the same as any mech) to spread out the damage. When the arms get blown off, you still twist as if to use the arms as shields, because the hitboxes are still there blocking shots! It depends on teamwork and favorable circumstances, and I know several good players who can really run up the score this way, but I'm not one of them.

Most Centurion builds are (relatively) inexpensive because the pilots stick to standard engines. Centurion pilots mostly get the CN9-D in order to unlock the Elite efficiencies on their other CN9s.

Now that I've gotten some use out of my Centurion, I still like the Hunchback better. It's a smaller target, with more lasers and less dependency on ammo, and works better with my style of play.

#63 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

There is a Mech Tier List to answer your questions, but our friendly over-zealous moderators decided that advice on DECIDING ON WHAT MECH TO BUY isn't a newbie help question forum thing and thus put such information in the battlemech guide section.

^_^ lolz

#64 Auton

• PipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

OK I started out with the Hunchback HBK-4SP and it was a great one to start with. I did modify it where I had 2 SRM4 w/Artemis and 5 Med Lasers. I set 1 with RA+Head Lasers and 2 with LA+Head Laser. 3 was my SRM. It could take a beating and it would not be targeted as much. I did not get the kills but the laser helped me with targeting and how to concentrate firepower (since I could track where the laser was hitting). I now have been using the Centurion CN9-A and LOVE IT. I have him named Legio Aux and like the name says is for support. I started with the standard engine with 3 LRM5s and AC/10 I was as slow as the Heavy mechs but learned how to use LRMs effectively for support. I have now switched the Mech to have AC/10, 2 LRM5, AMS, 2 Med Lasers and a nice 225 engine with almost full armor. This version lost some LRMs but overall can move quicker and put heavy fire on enemies then disappear. Before if the enemy found me they could catch me and tear me up. In my last match I had 2 Jagers coming for me (was at 43%). I was fast enough to dodge some fire and get behind a mountain. Then I set a trap and as they crested the mountain I AC10 killed one Jager and targeted the other for LRM bombardment from my allies. If I had the standard 200 engine I don't think I could of made it. If you want a mech that can slug it out for a while and keep going I would say the Hunchback. If you want a Mech that you can mess around with and try out different tests of weapons and equipment then the Centurion. I plan to change my Centurion with an AC5 or UltraAC5 to try out that weapon on them. I really like the ACs now over laser but still lasers seem to be easier to hit exactly where you want to hit.

#65 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 22 August 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

The CN9-D is a very expensive mech to build for its weight class. Most people use the CN9-A with 3 asrm6 and 2 med lasers and a standard engine. Ferro, endo, and double heatsinks are you most expensive mods making it a very cheap top tier mech. I see these a lot in competitive 12 man drops and are far more commonly used than the 9D. Both are top tier the D just fits my taste best. Put me in a 9A and I do well, but put me in my 9D and even though it is the same build less one srm6 and using a fragile xl engine. I will out score my 9A every time. I will live longer, do more damage, and get more kills in the D. Some people are just the opposite. All depends on you.

The Shadow Hawk is replacing it for the most part, but it's still a great starter 'mech just in terms of ease of use, durability and price like you say.

Just remember if you try this build folks, open your bay doors! (/)

View PostMavRCK, on 23 August 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

There is a Mech Tier List to answer your questions, but our friendly over-zealous moderators decided that advice on DECIDING ON WHAT MECH TO BUY isn't a newbie help question forum thing and thus put such information in the battlemech guide section.

My 'mech tier list is still up, actually!

http://mwomercs.com/...ete-mech-guide/

Going to bump it for an Oxide review in a bit.

Edited by Victor Morson, 08 December 2013 - 03:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users