Rattlesnake - Jenner ?

16 replies to this topic

Poll: Rattlesnake - Jenner (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the Rattlesnake - Jenner too ?

1. What is a Rattlesnake - Jenner ? (14 votes [60.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.87%

2. Yes (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. No (7 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Has anyone of you assembled the Rattlesnake variant of the Jenner until now ?

Accourding to SARNA it is outfitted with 7mL&1sL, altough I prefer the variant without C3slave and 8 medium lasers :wacko:

I have already bought a Jenner JR7-F, Double Heat Sinks, Endosteel & Ferro-Fibrous Armour.
As soon as I can afford it, I intend to upgrade to a XL engine.
( currently I use 5mL and a sL with 2 DHS, one in each side torso and 2 JJ in the center torso )

What do you think about ERmL+2mL+2sL ? ... are there energy weapons available which deliver better damage output with 8 slots & 8 tons ?

MfG, MEX

Edited by M E X, 01 December 2012 - 04:51 AM.

#2 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

The Jenner JR7-F is limited to six energy weapon hard-points (three in each arm). Unless there is a Founder's variant I am unaware of, all the other Jenners in the game are limited to just 4 energy hardpoints.

You might want to verify you have enough critical slots available to do everything you want to do. You may not have enough to use XL Engine + DHS + ES + FF and get the weapon loadout you desire. I know I did not in my JR7-D. I left off the FF.

#3 Comassion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostM E X, on 15 November 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

Has anyone of you assembled the Rattlesnake variant of the Jenner until now ?

Accourding to SARNA it is outfitted with 7mL&1sL, altough I prefer the variant without C3slave and 8 medium lasers :wacko:

I have already bought a Jenner JR7-F, Endosteel & Ferro-Fibrous Armour.
As soon as I can affourd it I intend to upgrade to a 245 XL engine with 11 double heat sinks.

What do you think about 8mL ... are there energy weapons available which deliver better damage output with 11 DHS, 8 slots & 8 tons ?

MfG, MEX

Even if you could mount 8 ML, it would be way too hot. 6 ML is right at the limit of what you can handle with DHS, and you'll need more than 11.

Tabletop construction rules don't translate directly into effective MWO builds due to differing mechanics between the two.

Edited by Comassion, 15 November 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#4 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Suggest you try a hunchback for that config in this game. I understand if you want it, but as said previously, both the Jenner and Cicada (closest in game now) have a max of 6 energy hard points. There is no light or Cicada with more than 6 of any hard point, so you can't replicate it similarly either.

#5 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

View PostICEFANG13, on 15 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

... , but as said previously, both the Jenner and Cicada (closest in game now) have a max of 6 energy hard points. There is no light or Cicada with more than 6 of any hard point, so you can't replicate it similarly either.
I did read http://mwomercs.com/...-to-the-jenner/ in the meantime and considered switching to a 300 XL anyway, but many thanks for this advise to the many experienced players which suggest to go with 6mL :wacko:

What is your opinion about the AMS, which usually isnt installed in a Rattlesnake, is it really that usefull in MWO ?

I also learned about the 140 speed limit in the article mentioned above ... which XL engine with SPEED TWIST would be barley faster than 140 ?

MfG, MEX

PS: Maybe the dev's can make a special Rattlesnake - Jenner with C3+7mL+1sL with a fitting special paintjob, which can be bought like Yen Lo Wang ?

Edited by M E X, 15 November 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#6 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I think the 290 would be hitting that perfectly. I know the 300 (which I run) goes 149.3 with Speed Tweak, and the Raven-3L (which a has a max of a 295) was hitting around 144-146.

In my opinion, it varies how good AMS is. I always keep it on, but if I wasn't good, and couldn't afford double heat sinks, XL engine, Endo and Ferro, I would consider removing it to make room for my stuff. As it stands, against random people, usually the LRM support isn't as organized, so your speed is plenty good to make it to cover, but against organized LRM support, and a light who won't leave you alone, I highly suggest it. I always run AMS, just in case.

#7 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

the 280xl with spead tweak does 139.3kph. I'd rather have 140 than 150 kph and use the extra tonnage for AMS and a tonne of ammo.

#8 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostM E X, on 15 November 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

PS: Maybe the dev's can make a special Rattlesnake - Jenner with C3+7mL+1sL with a fitting special paintjob, which can be bought like Yen Lo Wang ?

The magazine in which the "Rattlesnake" is described (BattleTechnology #21) is no longer considered part of the BT/MW canon, so it "doesn't really count" as a source for 'Mechs and information.
That probably wouldn't help its odds of being considered a candidate for Hero 'Mech status.

Also, the actual description of the Rattlesnke alludes to it still being in the trial phase of development as of 3054, but the companion article ("Snake Dance") has a number of them fighting invading Clanners on the FRR world of Toland in 3050... :D

#9 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PostInveramsay, on 15 November 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

the 280xl with spead tweak does 139.3kph. I'd rather have 140 than 150 kph and use the extra tonnage for AMS and a tonne of ammo.

This is a good idea btw. I recently started to run 5 ml jr-f elite and she is beautiful. Should try to play with lower xls, but i actually in doubts about h.e. on hot maps.

#10 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostInveramsay, on 15 November 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

+1 with this - I run all my 3 Jenners with this engine size. 139km aint slow and an extra ton of choice makes a bigger difference than speed in my opinion.

Cheers!

#11 Buck Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

The lasers' firepower depends on the number of heat sinks, not the number of lasers you have fitted. Besides pointing out the obvious, i'd go with DHS and 6 small lasers.

#12 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

View PostBuck Cake, on 16 November 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

The lasers' firepower depends on the number of heat sinks, not the number of lasers you have fitted. Besides pointing out the obvious, i'd go with DHS and 6 small lasers.

Oh well small ones are fun, but the lack of range makes them not always easy to use. I agree that 140kmh may be enough, never tried it though and another expansive engine to buy...
You know they say "Speed is a key", but scout do not always have to move without stop, I enjoy my 150 kmh to get right angle at the desired target than stop and fire at least in the beginning before match has gone to hell and mad brawl. And you can land a perfectly accurate ml volley from the distance of 250m... you can't do it with sl though

#13 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

No way, this is way to heat inefficient with MWO rules on double heat sinks.

#14 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 15 November 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

The magazine in which the "Rattlesnake" is described (BattleTechnology #21) is no longer considered part of the BT/MW canon, so it "doesn't really count" as a source for 'Mechs and information.
That probably wouldn't help its odds of being considered a candidate for Hero 'Mech status.

Also, the actual description of the Rattlesnke alludes to it still being in the trial phase of development as of 3054, but the companion article ("Snake Dance") has a number of them fighting invading Clanners on the FRR world of Toland in 3050... :(
I asume the "trial phase" is because of the C3slave in the original variant !
Accourding to SARNA the C3slaves were released 3050, and until such expensive and sophisticated equipment is used in a light mech usually several years pass, except for TESTING this new equipment without risking more expensive Mechs in a real battle.

As the Owens was introduced 3056, the Rattlesnake was obsolet after the release of this Omni.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Owens
So a Rattlesnake would fit perfect in the timeline around the arrival of the Clans, like Phelans IS version of the Wolfhound:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wolfhound

As the Wolfhound is armed with a large Laser, I wounder if anyone has tried to mount a lL in a Jenner too in MWO until now ?

MfG, MEX

Edited by M E X, 17 November 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#15 KingNobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'd really like to pilot an Owens, always been one of my favorite 'mechs.

#16 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostKingNobody, on 17 November 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

I'd really like to pilot an Owens, always been one of my favorite 'mechs.
I prefer the Stiletto STO-6X because of the Smoked Jaguars, against which I fought with a older variant :o
Posted Image
MfG, MEX

Edited by M E X, 05 December 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#17 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

You can pilot an Owens Prime in a Jenner body (minus the C3 of course, since it's not needed). It was pretty effective before ECM came along. You can do some of the other variants of the Owens as well.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users