- - - - -

Regarding 3rd Person View

2926 replies to this topic

#61 Madog

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I don't mind limited 3rd person in spectator mode. But I think it is something of an unfair advantage if it enlarges some players field of vision. What I would like are rear and side view cameras, even if it is something that looks like a little monitor screen.

#62 Vollstrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

View PostMortavore, on 16 November 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

I hope they add it in. One of the things that I find hard to do is keep track of where my feet are vs. were i'm looking.

It's no different than keeping track of what direction you're moving in when looking out the window of a car, except you get more HUD things telling you where you're pointed in this game.

I cannot see a way in which 3rd person view will not either give the utilizing player an advantage or will not split the already small community. The answer to every inquiry about it on the boards from beta to present is a resounding 'No.' Why is this still being discussed?

#63 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Frankly... I can't understand how the Devs even care anymore... honestly... they're busting their rear ends to bring us all what we want... a new reincarnation of MW/BT...

What do they get for their efforts damned if they do and damned if they don't...

Fairly disgusted with a vast majority of the community right now... with the attitudes and disrespectfull posts I've seen these past few days, makes me ashamed that I'm part of it...

:)

#64 Nikohki

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image

#65 HunterTBC

Rookie

• 7 posts

I'd say if they want to give people a 3rd person view fine, but don't let em shoot/lock targets in 3rd person. And make sure if the enemy is not visible on from the cockpit it doesn't show on the minimap. And don't allow the insane scrolling out and panning around allowed in WoT, make its a fixed view, locked behind the mech, valuble for manuvering but not for combat.

Honestly though I don't think it would make things harder for new players, the players who are already good would just have more of an advantage over the newer players. A better in cockpit respresentation of your torso vs leg directions would be alot more helpful. The currect minimap arrow is not very intuitive for alot of people....

#66 Alcatraz968

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationBehind You!

Rather useless of a post in what it says. But nice to be able to get feedback from the Dev's.

#67 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 November 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Hi Mechwarriors,

So Russ let slip in an interview with No Guts No Galaxy we are looking into a 3rd person view option. It seems a lot of people are unhappy with this, so we’d like to explain our thought process here.

For reference, we also strongly recommend listening to Russ’s comments, as he provides a clear case for our approach.

Over the course of development, we’ve had a huge number of requests for a 3rd person camera option. At this early stage, it’s something we feel that warrants further analysis, understanding and exploration.

MechWarrior Online is, and will always be, a game focused on 1st person combat in Mechs. That experience is sacrosanct to the classic Mechwarrior experience.

If we find that there is a relevant role for an optional 3rd person camera mode, then then would simply be an additional option that, if you don’t want it, won’t affect you. Bryan will be writing a detailed Command Chair post on this (he's currently at 40,000 feet, and not by Jump Jetting) with more details. For now, be assured we're acutely aware of past problems with 3rd person view, and will make sure those same issues are thoroughly addressed. We wouldn’t settle for anything less.

Cheers,
The MechWarrior Online Team

The thing about that is if it an option it does affect me even if I don't want it because 3rd person view would offer advantages to people who use it. For example allowing someone to see a mech standing behind them instead of asking for assistance from a teammate as to what is actually attacking them in the rear. This would be a huge hit to light mechs who often rely on that blind spot to launch an effective attack on heavier mechs.

#68 Unspeekable

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

To be honest when i started playing mechwarrior 4 mercenaries, I loved being in third person. Not just so I would get a wider field of view but it just felt awesome watching my mech obliterate my enemies from behind my mech. Don't know why people hate third person so much that they have to insult anyone who roots for it.

Edited by Unspeekable, 16 November 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#69 brienj

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

PGI are really working hard. Hard at never getting any money from my pockets ...

You have got to be kidding me that people are claiming they can't play this game in first-person view. Maybe they should stick to playing on their SNES or Atari 2600.

#70 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Just to make sure everyone, well, actually read that and listened to what Russ said, we don't plan to add 3rd person. We're looking at what it would require of us if we did.

#71 PainGod30

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 139 posts

I'm sorry but no third person period. It's obvious that the truly dedicated fan base does not want it, not even an option for it. Don't split your fans and certainly don't drive them away. There are more things that you should be focusing on like :netcode (so we don't have that dumb speed limit), getting the mechs in (because we're VERY behind on that), and getting the community warfare up, and for God's sake get some new game modes in. Keep what you have happy and then worry about getting new players seems like a simple plan to me.

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 November 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Just to make sure everyone, well, actually read that and listened to what Russ said, we don't plan to add 3rd person. We're looking at what it would require of us if we did.

Isn't "looking into" what we do before we put plans to implement in motion? Exploit alternatives first, don't just jump to third person. Looking at what it would require to do is still considering it which doesn't make me happy, can't speak for everyone else though.

Edited by PainGod30, 16 November 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#72 PUNISHER68

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Why would you even consider a 3rd person view? If you want a **** game go play Hawkshit.

#73 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

View PostCard, on 16 November 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Well, that was so vague that it said absolutely nothing, will accomplish nothing, and makes no one whatsoever feel any better about it at all.

Was that the point?

I'm pretty sure his point was to let you know they will be addressing 3rd person in detail shortly. Probably because the forum world is on fire and this might get us Forumites to do something a bit more constructive like play the game or knitting.

#74 Tsunamisan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

3rd person Pilot module. Would be a better way. They can use it but there is a drawback for using it.

#75 zer0imh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 581 posts
  • LocationFomalhaut

View PostMortavore, on 16 November 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

I hope they add it in. One of the things that I find hard to do is keep track of where my feet are vs. were i'm looking.

it's on your radar...
Posted Image

even a 2 year old will understand this.

Edited by zer0imh, 16 November 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#76 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

I hope people keep in mind that features can be removed if they are proven to be detrimental to the game.

It's not like if they put it in for testing, it has to stay in and can never be removed.

#77 MidnighTWolF Qc

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Started playing last week, haven't played a MechWarrior game in ages but I still agree with everything that has been said AGAINST 3rd person view... If I can get the controls right in a week, it surely isn't that hard to learn... I had high hopes for the content to come, but this news kinda ruined the mood for me and the friends I brought here.

#78 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 16 November 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

So do you think that its possible that the "email/feedback forms" we're not seeing would be 91% in favor of 3rd person and 9% in favor of no 3rd person? Not saying thats what you said but is it realistic that all the people that didnt vote on that poll would have the complete opposite view of the people that have done so here?

Food for thought here but I didn't know you're internet poll existed. Why are it's statistics so important when it's sampling is inherently incomplete? If you actually did get everyone's solid opinion it might be similar to your poll but it's hard to be sure and knowing it doesn't include everyone it's numbers are a moot point. More people like first over third and that's the take away.

View PostLogan Pryde, on 16 November 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Absolutely against 3rd person view. MWO is supposed to be a MechWarrior Sim game, not a 3rd person shooter.

The irony is with MW2 every game after that had it as an option. I don't think MW4 had issues with it being a server checkbox really. Though I agree, this is Mechwarrior, 3rd person has never been incredibly useful and not really the draw of the series. A training mode with it would be fine. If you want to see your mech I wouldn't mind a BF:BC2 style intro/outro for matches so you could see how you look.

View Postzer0imh, on 16 November 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

it's on your radar...

even a 2 year old will understand this.

Once you explain it to them sure. In game somewhere that preferably isn't YouTube, but many of us learned it so I'm not incredibly concerned with people figuring it out. They can always ask the rest of us.

Edited by Karyudo ds, 16 November 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#79 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostGimpy Warpig, on 16 November 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

Unless you're in their PR department, I fail to see how you know how many emails/feedback forms they've received. This forum does not the MW fanbase equal. not even close.

I do not have to , i graciously doubled the the number from the poll of those for 3PV . and even if i quadrupled it it would still be less than 18%

This silent majority you are eluding too does not exist. and even their is a sizable number i guarantee you they are not long term players nor our they going to be income positive players .

because if they can not spend a few minutes in the forums keeping abreast of the ongoings of a brand new, exciting and evolving big stompy robot game . what kind of players are they ?

Well i would not call them fans .

they are just entertainment consumers they will come consume and move on they will contribute nothing nor will they provide any additional income of significant amounts.

developing features for this crowd at the expense of more pressing issues is a huge error, and the real players who are going to spend plenty of cash and contribute plenty of time are trying to make them realize this.

Edited by nitra, 16 November 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#80 3clipse

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Personally I will never use 3rd person view but I don't mind it being implemented for totally uncoordinated people as they get used to the game. Options are easy to turn off. Even in the podcast it was mentioned that there would be a server filter option to check so that us 1st person only players would play on servers with that feature disabled,

Maybe it's because I'm older now but I feel that giving people more options to play the game in slightly different ways to suit their particular play styles can only help the IP gain more users which will build a demand for more Battletech related projects. Win-Win in my book.

As long as I can customize the servers I am on to fit my particular play style I say the more options the better.

-MW 3clipse

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users