The Four Horsemen - Atlas Builds

113 replies to this topic

#21 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

The atlas D - Supporter build has been updated. I haven't played him much after ecm came into the picture, but I recently picked him up again and the TAG buff makes it worth it. So the build is updated with simple but effective way; -1 LRM ammo, +1 TAG. If you guys have given up on him as well, give him a new try with the TAG. It still won't be a cake walk but you won't be as frustrated as before :D.

#22 RumRunner151

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 697 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

I always favor AC20 + as many SRM6s as possible in a brawler, so your D-DC build is a no-brainer and very similar to what I am used to running.

I tried your Supporter build and couldn't get everything on it. Ran out of crit slots. Had to ditch endo. Still couldn't get 2 LL so I substituted 2 MPL. Its really irrelevant though, because the heart of the mech is: Tag+Artemis+LRM20+LRM20+Gauss = dead if in LOS. I found it very effective solo pugging. I'll report back on 8-mans.

I am tempted to use it +ECM in my DDC. While 3xSRM6+AC20 = dead too, the range of the supporter is really nice vs the in your face need of the brawler.

Nice job IMO. I don't think I would ever have tried a smaller engine to fit the 2nd LRM20 and it is crucial to the success. Also, prior to TAG being extended to 750m it may not have been as effective. But now....you peel their armor w/ LRMs and then start collecting components and kills w/ the gauss.

#23 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostRumRunner151, on 20 December 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

I tried your Supporter build and couldn't get everything on it. Ran out of crit slots. Had to ditch endo. Still couldn't get 2 LL so I substituted 2 MPL. Its really irrelevant though, because the heart of the mech is: Tag+Artemis+LRM20+LRM20+Gauss = dead if in LOS. I found it very effective solo pugging. I'll report back on 8-mans.

I'm using that build myself so everything does fit in. I double checked it just in case and the guide is written correctly, only picked up that one of the legs had 2 armor points too much :). You must have copied something incorrectly at some point. This build is tight as a fiddle, 0 crits free and 0 tons free, but everything fits in I assure you :).

#24 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

I too love my Fatlas builds, i have a great variant of the D, D-DC and the K. Actually playing in the K at the moment.. ..not bad, but favorite is the D-DC. ECM, BAP, Gauss, 2 LL, 2 Med and 15 lrms.

#25 Beg4Black

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

I run DC with 3xSSRM2 (i just hate the netcode and this seems like only viable solution to laging lights), 2xUAC5 (great when you have the wisdom on the triger... brought me soooo much insta kills you wouldnt belive it) and 2xLL (used to cary ERs but the heat just proved unmanagable).

As for the engine i run the lightest one that can cary 3 DHS (crit space to get the most of HSs in was a priority, 325/330 i think) other than that there is the obvious ECM and 2T of ssrm ammo and 4T of uac ammo and a case for all of it resided in the Ltorso.

I like to keep my ECM in the central torso cause if they strip the armor of that its preaty much downhill from there.... X)

Endo steel is obligatori on every build ofcourse, and with that every crit space is ocupied on this build. I don't say its the best or even good build but damn i just feel so usefull in the battle with it... Range on the uac's gives me the edge when engaging and the ssrm's prove invaluable against fast lights due to the bugy netcode...

Edited by Beg4Black, 22 December 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#26 Arzargul

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

On the atlas is the dhs a need ?

#27 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostArzargul, on 22 December 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

On the atlas is the dhs a need ?

I haven't found a single build that didn't need the DHS. So yeah it's pretty much an automatic upgrade for you to get. The engine doubles already make it worth it on every mech.

#28 Gimly

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

MadPanda,
what is the reason to have DHS on D Build if you don't have any on board?

The Supporter - Atlas D build

Upgrades

Endo Steel Structure
Double Heatsinks
Artemis

#29 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostGimly, on 28 December 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

MadPanda,
what is the reason to have DHS on D Build if you don't have any on board?

The Supporter - Atlas D build

Upgrades

Endo Steel Structure
Double Heatsinks
Artemis

If you look at the picture, at the right side under "Equipment" it says "Heatsinks 10". Every mech has heatsinks in the engine. So when I use the double heatsink upgrade, those 10 in my engine now work as doubles so I then have equal to 20 single heatsinks. 10 heatsinks become 20 without increasing tonnage or taking critical slots, a deal you can't miss out. It is very important upgrade.

#30 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

What is a "Command Console", and do I need to equip it on my DC? I'm basically using MadPanda's "brawler" build.

#31 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostNRP, on 30 December 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

What is a "Command Console", and do I need to equip it on my DC? I'm basically using MadPanda's "brawler" build.

Currently the Command Console is a placeholder, meaning it doesn't do anything. There has been no info released what it's purpose will be in the future. It's safe to remove it, and even sell it if you need some extra cash, it has no effect on your mech atm.

#32 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

running full armor in the legs is silly. Why do you need more in your legs than side torsos?

No one targets the legs. 50-60 is plenty.

#33 avgleandt

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

why upgrade structure rather then armor? seems as armor upgrade would be more usefull?

#34 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

View Postavgleandt, on 02 January 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

why upgrade structure rather then armor? seems as armor upgrade would be more usefull?

You've fallen for the newbie trap. Don't worry, even I fell for it when I started this game. The truth is that the Structure and Armor upgrades do the same exact thing, which is reduce tonnage, except the Structure upgrade gives you more free tonnage. That's why nearly nobody gets the "Armor" upgrade because it doesn't actually improve your armor, it reduces how much your armor weigths which in other words means your tonnage, but it does so worse than the Structure upgrade. Hope that was clear.

#35 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

^I did this on my first few mechs.... kudos for pointing it out here.

#36 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for the build suggestions. They were good platforms for me to work from and customize to suit my tastes.

My DC build ended up a bit different with 2 mlas instead of mpulses and a std 350 engine rather than 330. I think I dropped some leg armour to drop the 4th HS in the larger engine as well. The 14 DHS instead of 13 and the fact that mlas uses less heat than mpulses improved the heat efficiency noticeably and the larger engine is always nice for twist speed and movement speed.

The RS build I changed around to 4 LL and a Gauss w/ 3 tons ammo. With a 325 engine. DHS, and Endo for upgrades. Would have liked to drop the ton of leg armour to add a 4th gauss ammo or extra DHS but no crit spaces at all left.

#37 Heinreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 28 December 2012 - 05:54 AM, said:

If you look at the picture, at the right side under "Equipment" it says "Heatsinks 10". Every mech has heatsinks in the engine. So when I use the double heatsink upgrade, those 10 in my engine now work as doubles so I then have equal to 20 single heatsinks. 10 heatsinks become 20 without increasing tonnage or taking critical slots, a deal you can't miss out. It is very important upgrade.

Aren't DHS working at 1.4x SHS instead of 2x? Or are the engine HS bugged and work as 2x SHS? This would mean that your 10 engine DHS should be the equivalent of 14 SHS, not 20.

#38 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostHeinreich, on 04 January 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Aren't DHS working at 1.4x SHS instead of 2x? Or are the engine HS bugged and work as 2x SHS? This would mean that your 10 engine DHS should be the equivalent of 14 SHS, not 20.

DHS inside engine work at 2.0. It's by design choice, not a bug. DHS placed outside of the engine which includes the extra slots in engines 275+ work at 1.4. MWO isn't really big on information for players so it's easy to not know these things but you just got to believe me on that.

#39 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Big Update!

After mastering the cataprachs and stalkers it was time for me to check the Atlases again. With fresh eyes I've managed to optimize and improve the builds even further.

The Guardian Atlas K build has the least changes as he is pretty packed already. He lost some AC20 ammo and got a BAP on him.

The Supporter Atlas D build has been improved with a bigger engine and there was zero loss in firepower! How is that possible?! Check it out :).

The Commander Atlas DC build has been improved with a bigger engine making you Speedy Gonzales of the atlases with huge 63kph (with speed tweak)! Pulse lasers have been replaced to normals making you lose slightly firepower but with better heat management you are actually now more effective! And did I already mention the speed? You will be keeping up with the catapults and hunchies with ease! I highly recommend anyone using my old build to update to this new one, it's really amazing!

The Archon Atlas RS build has got a complete overhaul. I came to the conclusion that you guys don't need a guide on how to make a 4 PPC atlas, it's pretty self explanatory :(. So I made the RS into a "serious" build. It still takes advantage of the RS specialty which is the energy hardpoints in the arms. It's pretty effective build, check it out!

#40 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

What exactly does a BAP do?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users