In Game Loby. Pre & Post With Pictures!

19 replies to this topic

Poll: In Game Loby. Pre & Post With Pictures! (36 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think. READ POST FIRST

1. THANK GOD SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN HAS COME UP WITH A FIX THAT WOULD WORK (12 votes [27.91%])

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

2. I LIKE IT. WHY DIDNT THE DEVS THINK OF THIS? (16 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

3. I LIKE IT BUT I THINK YOU SHOULD(POST SUGGESTION) (11 votes [25.58%])

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

4. i DONT LIKE (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

5. LOBBY, LOBBY, WE DONT NEED NO STINKING LOBBY (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ICUBurn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

Hello, i am about to pitch you my idea for an ingame lobby that will both help weed out the disconnectors bot farmers and help to keep the teams on an even field. welcom to my game loby. folowing is how it would work.

When you or your group is ready you would launch like normal this is when the loby would take over. you would be put here instead of into the game right away.

Posted Image

this is the loby it has both teams the map you will be playing (still chosen randomly) the game mode and a TEAM MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM DROP WEIGHT(i have it set to a 100 ton difference in the picture but it could be tightened up) this drop weight is how we keep the teams on a very even level.
now for those that use the games C3 coms system (first of all it would have to be fully integrated into the game and not a seperate program) it would combine EVERY player that joins into your team into 1 channel. for those not using it there is a chat box with a all players and a team only tab.

next to each name is a ready box that will mark only when a player had picked a mech from their ready list of mechs (that CANNOT have their configs altered at this point) and has clicked the ready button.

if someone were to disconnect from the loby the system will automaticaly fill the empty spot again. also by clicking on someones name it would give the vote kick option.

Posted Image

the mech they have chosen will be displayed and the weight will be added to the teams total. for your opponents you will only get to see the total team weights and what class the player is running. if a team has all its members ready and they are under weight the game WILL NOT START until that team meets the required limits.

Posted Image

once BOTH teams are within the weight limit and all players are ready the automatic timer will start at 10 and the team lock timer will start at 5. the team lock timer once it hits zero NO PLAYER will be able to unready themselves and no one will be able to join from outside the loby.

if the teams are uneven (ie 7v8) the game will ask an even number of the remaining players if they want to start the game anyway. if no is chosen the lobby will attempt to find another player again. if yes it will start the auto timer. if a tie it will search again.

Posted Image

from here the game will start like it always has.

Now for a revised post game lobby. all player still in the match will see this screen with a chat put in and a recap of who killed who.

Posted Image

so what do you all think. id love to see this and a few of my friends love this idea as well.

#2 costi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

It's a good idea, but I don't like the "pick mech later" thing. Unless the tonnage spread is very tight, you'll see people trying to "play the system", and swap mechs at the last moment to get an advantage ovber the enemy team.

#3 Owaeru

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

Im also thinking that its good to have game lobbys both before and after... but the display of enemy mechs and restricted ton gap also limits teams in a way...

#4 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

Well, if you pick your mech first and THEN enter the lobby, what will stay for like 5 minutes or till everyone hits "go" then yeah: would be GREAT.
tactis even with PUGs! :unsure:

#5 grayson marik

• Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

Great thing! Very well! :unsure:

Only thing to add... an option to invite enemy groups, so team (a) can invite team ( b ) in order to enable ordered team drops and real tournaments with team vs team battles, bypassing the "random enemy search". :ph34r:

Edited by grayson marik, 20 November 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#6 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

This would be cool for custom games at the very least!

#7 Buff Plankchest

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

"I like it but ... " nothing. I voted too soon. It's beautiful.

Edited by Buff Plankchest, 20 November 2012 - 03:42 AM.

#8 ToBe998

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

The "Ready" thing could became a real problem. Think of all those people that forget to click that button or disconnect. You would have to wait for ages to get a game with everyone ready. Maybe use a timer (similar to now) that auto-readies all players.

#9 Jadel Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

Looks good, like the work you put in.

Couple of things could be altered of course but its a great start.

The game really needs something like that. I would also like it if it kept you playing with the same teams each map like in ... well every other online game I ever played. BFBC2, CoD UT etc.

Could use that system after to chat and plan even if your not a clan.

#10 Owaeru

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

View PostToBe998, on 20 November 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

The "Ready" thing could became a real problem. Think of all those people that forget to click that button or disconnect. You would have to wait for ages to get a game with everyone ready. Maybe use a timer (similar to now) that auto-readies all players.

perhaps 2minute limit before the game starts to discuss early strategies and it could be speeded up by clicking ready?

#11 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

It would be nice to have all that information when the game ends, and the chat of course.
The additional lobby does nothing though.
The matchmaker will select teams according to weight class (and in the future, skill and maybe tonnage) and we already have a ready check.
Also, I wouldn't want to know the mechs my team is up against. It's part of the game to find that out.

Many of the current disconnects or afks might not even be intentional. I've had it more than once that suddenly the game client would just close without any warning or error message, my screen would stay black as soon as the game starts, the 4fps bug, no HUD, etc.
Also, the mechlab is very buggy at the moment.
I'd wait till these are fixed before implementing more stuff.

#12 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

I like it except for the part where you see the other team and have to wait to launch.

Change it so the group lobby looks like that as you're adding players (minus the other team). You won't be able to see the map until the group leader launches. Then you have 30 seconds to choose your Mech from the ready list.

Only allow view of the other group if you have specifically challenged another group (assuming this option becomes available.) Then increase the wait time to allow teams to even out their tonnage to a certain degree.

#13 ICUBurn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

i like some of the suggestions. the force lobby timer, and the invite a team. i have some other ideas on how to work that. ill come up with some stuff and rework the pics. maybe one of the devs will actualuy take a look and comment that would be awsome

#14 grayson marik

• Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

bump!

#15 Staplebeater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

I like the concept of a lobby. This way you can put either house teams together that are finely tuned and purpose built to work together but also just put a PUG together so they can talk and do their best to work together. If i am PUGing at an off hour from my house I have multiple mechs i can bring and if i knew what other PUGs were bringing i would change it up to better the team composition. It also allows for tournaments to have pre planned matches too

I don't know about the tonnage limit so other battle capability or other metric might be better but why let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

#16 Darkshade1792

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

bump

#17 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

I like it but the weight limit is not a good call for MWO. A weight limit suggests that more tons is always better. It's not. PGI has gone to great lengths and succeeded in making all mechs viable and a proper mix more important than max tonnage

#18 Tenam

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

Those are some good idea and nice mock up's. In reading it I would add...

1) in the pre drop screen, add who is in a group on both sides... so on your team if players 1,2 & 3 are in a group have a green bracket around their names showing they are grouped... on the opposing side if players 1-4 are in a group add a bracket around there names and if players 7 & 8 are in another grouo add a different colored group bracket around their names showing they are in a different group.

2) in the post match screen add buttons to friend someone or invite them to a group.

#19 DreyfussFrost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

EDIT: What the hell? How did this pop up in "recent posts"? I swear I wasn't necroing, I think there's a forum bug. I saw this as a recent post or popular topic or something. The back button is just taking me back to the suggestions forum.

EDIT2: Sorry, found it. I came here from this post http://mwomercs.com/...57#entry1870857 Didn't look at the age of the thread.

Sorry, but no. This is way too deep for matchmaking. I'm not exaggerating when I say this will turn off a lot of new players. It might seem cool for tournament play, but take a hint from LoL and DotA2 and think about why they made their draft modes an option.

First of all, you're giving people too much information before the match has actually started. You will see people drop out in the lobby if they don't like how the teams stack up, and then the whole thing will collapse as everyone would rather follow them than play an uneven game or wait for it to become 7v7. Allowing other people to fill the spot of a leaver sounds like a good idea, but you will have to sit in that lobby and wait, and hope they don't leave as well. I'm guessing you don't play many custom games in RTS, or WoW, but it's pretty common that if even person leaves, more than half the group jumps straight to the conclusion that the group will fall apart (self-fulfilling prophecy) and leaves immediately rather than waiting for a single slot to be filled. Even if people stay, it's a lot of sitting and waiting instead of playing. Players are far more likely to stay after a disconnect if they are already in the game playing. At that point they are already invested and engaged in the match, so it feels like there's more to lose than simply dropping out of a lobby. The current system puts them straight into the game, so even if a player disconnects immediately, the rest are likely to play the game out.

If you want to stop people from scattering before a game, the only thing you could really do that would be even a little fair is tie up their mech until the game is done. However, that will not motivate people to stay. They will either requeue with another mech or get frustrated and quit the game entirely. You will also not weed out disconnectors this way, you will only make the problem worse for legit players, as they will have to wait for a replacement or deal with everyone scattering rather than just playing out a 7v8 (which 7s still have a good chance of winning). Likewise, this won't help much against botters either. If the bot can't ready itself then the hackers will just make a new bot that can. If people try to turing test it, they're just going to end up wasting a lot of time. When people go ahead and ready with the bot, they will be even angrier than with the current system because what the hell? Isn't the reason we put up with this hassle to stop botters? What you should be pushing for is better bot and AFK detection and a more aggressive effort to ban repeat offenders.

Secondly, the tonnage thing alone will kill the public matchmaking game. Again, I am not exaggerating, and I am not speaking figuratively. The population will vanish if you put such a feature into matchmaking. Nobody wants to be told what they can or can't play because of what a bunch of randoms picked. The second somebody is prevented from choosing the mech they want because of their own team, you have just lost an Atlas worth of public opinion with them. That could work in premade games with people you know, but not matchmaking. The game already balances team weights automatically, that work doesn't need to be put on the players.

This could work as an option for organizing premade games, though I still disagree with the weight restrictions no matter how you try to sell it. If the teams or game organizers wish to have such restrictions, you can provide the information and let them self-enforce it. The whole point of ready systems is to make sure there is a consensus before the game starts, building it in only restricts people and provides no benefit in return. None of this should be anywhere near matchmaking. Maybe you like the idea of sitting in lobbies all day waiting for "even" games to start, but the system already matches weight classes, and I don't feel any doubt that the majority of players would hate being asked to wait on other people to be allowed to start playing, especially when there is no benefit to such a system at all. You have detailed your idea, but you haven't explained how it makes the game better.

In short, this is what you are proposing, straight from your post and caps locked for emphasis:
  • TEAM MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM DROP WIGHT
  • EVERY
  • CANNOT
  • WILL NOT START
  • BOTH
  • NO PLAYER

Edited by TheBaron, 11 February 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#20 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Everything you could need for a competitive match. A little over the top for a casual one.

People above already mentiond flaws the system may have.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users