To Clan or not to Clan

410 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance? (996 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance?

1. Yes (660 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. No (336 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:32 AM

View PostCaveMan, on 05 November 2011 - 01:50 AM, said:

<RP>
Trothkin, hear me:

If these Inner Sphere barbarians mewl and whine about the advantage given to Kerensky's chosen by the fruits of our Scientist caste, complaining that our weapons are too powerful, our armor too strong, our OmniMechs too fast, then let us beat them on their own terms. We shall set our weapons to training power, and still we will defeat these freeborn scum, quiaff?

It is not the strength of his armor that makes a Clan warrior invincible; it is the weight of the honor he bears--the honor of an ancestral line that traces its genes back to the lost paradise that was the Star League--that plants his feet firmly in the ground. It is not the power of PPCs and autocannons that puts fear in the hearts of our enemies; it is our thirst for victory, our burning ardor to earn our Bloodright, and our skill, honed to a gleaming edge from the time we join our sibkos.

Take away our advanced weaponry and still we remain Clan. We are the Trueborn. Each Clan is a living weapon, made not of machines but of men and women, from the humblest laborer to the khans themselves, and it is from this that we derive our power. Trothkin, I tell you this: when our Trueborn face the muddied ranks of the barbarians, we would defeat them with pointy sticks!
</RP>

Hell yes I'm going to play Clan, and don't be surprised if I teamkill any whiny 12 year olds who only roll Clan because they want shiny guns.

Problem is, that if you would remove those "shiny" things, 90% of Clan players would switch. Its sad, but true. Otherwise, I dont have anything against Clans that follow Clan ways and give us a chance of beating those "shiny" things.

Edited by adridos, 05 November 2011 - 03:33 AM.

#122 flessar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 175 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:30 AM

View PostCaveMan, on 05 November 2011 - 01:50 AM, said:

<RP>
Trothkin, hear me:

If these Inner Sphere barbarians mewl and whine about the advantage given to Kerensky's chosen by the fruits of our Scientist caste, complaining that our weapons are too powerful, our armor too strong, our OmniMechs too fast, then let us beat them on their own terms. We shall set our weapons to training power, and still we will defeat these freeborn scum, quiaff?

It is not the strength of his armor that makes a Clan warrior invincible; it is the weight of the honor he bears--the honor of an ancestral line that traces its genes back to the lost paradise that was the Star League--that plants his feet firmly in the ground. It is not the power of PPCs and autocannons that puts fear in the hearts of our enemies; it is our thirst for victory, our burning ardor to earn our Bloodright, and our skill, honed to a gleaming edge from the time we join our sibkos.

Take away our advanced weaponry and still we remain Clan. We are the Trueborn. Each Clan is a living weapon, made not of machines but of men and women, from the humblest laborer to the khans themselves, and it is from this that we derive our power. Trothkin, I tell you this: when our Trueborn face the muddied ranks of the barbarians, we would defeat them with pointy sticks!
</RP>

Hell yes I'm going to play Clan, and don't be surprised if I teamkill any whiny 12 year olds who only roll Clan because they want shiny guns.

As long as you abide by your code, ive got no problem with you getting your Shinney's, after all they gave me mine with the Deaths Head :)

Look forward to seeing one in an alley way near you soon™ :D

#123 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:33 AM

View PostKyll Long, on 03 November 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Not for any amount in the world

Clanner/spanner.......

Where?? there...! Shoot it!

#124 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:36 AM

View Postadridos, on 05 November 2011 - 03:32 AM, said:

Problem is, that if you would remove those "shiny" things, 90% of Clan players would switch. Its sad, but true. Otherwise, I dont have anything against Clans that follow Clan ways and give us a chance of beating those "shiny" things.

I don't think the number would be as severe as 90%, but there probably would be some people jumping ship.

If the Inner Sphere can halt the Clan Invasion and then annihilate a Clan, early advantage or not it takes more then tech and genetic tanks to make a warrior. There are incredible warriors on both sides of the field, lest we forget pilots like Kai Alliard-Liao and Phelan Kell who are both "freebirth" yet continuously dominate their "trueborn" enemies.

Nothing against people who want to play Clan, I like the Clans (specifically Ghost Bear) and am excited to see them hit the game and have a lot of great fun fighting them.

#125 Demongirl

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 78 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPoised for Orbital Bombardment

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:51 AM

As much as I love my Snow Raven genetics, I'll be happy if they don't include the Clans in these beginning stages of the game. Let the team worry about creating a high-quality game with just the IS for now; that's complicated enough! :)

#126 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

View Postdemongirl, on 05 November 2011 - 05:51 AM, said:

As much as I love my Snow Raven genetics, I'll be happy if they don't include the Clans in these beginning stages of the game. Let the team worry about creating a high-quality game with just the IS for now; that's complicated enough! :)

It would be a bit odd if we hit 3049 and there wouldn't be someone showing up on the Rock....

#127 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:54 AM

View Postdemongirl, on 05 November 2011 - 05:51 AM, said:

That really seems what they're going for, at least I think. I believe they'll go with starting as just the IS and have us play that for a year(ish) then release the Clans. This gives them time to make MWO solid and amazing, get us some piloting time, and gives them more time to fully tweak and prepare the game for the Clan Invasion so they can do it right.

View Poststormwolf, on 05 November 2011 - 05:53 AM, said:

It would be a bit odd if we hit 3049 and there wouldn't be someone showing up on the Rock....

Periphery skirmishes =/= full on Clan involvement in the IS. Most of the IS, including their leaders, think it's just random fighting.

Won't see a full on reason to have Clans until 3050.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 05 November 2011 - 05:55 AM.

#128 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 04 November 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

I did say it was wasteful CoffiNail. It is right there. They considered it detestable because of the waste. If I did not make that point clear I apologize. I have the books trothkin. I reject your point though that Clan warriors are not thought to think of the death of anyone. In fact it is death that they concerned with, more so what people will think of them when they die. How they will be remembered hence the huge need to have your name in the Remembrance or more importantly have your DNA added to the active gene pool. All warriors are asked to remember great dead heroes e.g. the Jade Falcons have Aidan Pryde.

Warrior's of Kerensky sourcebook page 52 4th parapraph:

Similerly, the eugenics program has desensitized warriors to death, both their own and that of others. A warrior's ultimate goal is to die honorably in battle, thereby ensuring that his or her stored DNA will be used in the breeding program. Consequently, Clan warriors can be suicidally brave and expect much the same of other warriors. They also lack the moral baggage associated with civilian casualties, and exhibit little emotional response to the death of innocents. They may regret the 'waste' of personnel or creatingnew enemies, but if it suits them to brutalize of kill non-combatants, they will. As always the Clans live by the rule of the strong. Taking hostages does not work when dealing with the Clans, they will let hostages die without turning a hair.

Yes, they are concerned with how they die, but not if they die, losing your life for your clan is enough and with luck the act of you and your star staying in the canyon pass holding off your opponent so the rest of your cluster can get back to the dropship, may just earn a spot in The Rememberance

View PostMax Liao, on 04 November 2011 - 10:57 PM, said:

With a name of Max Liao, I really would be very shocked if you are a Clan fanboy :)

I do not think those numbers are very accurate. A good number of the players who enjoy the clans played MW2 and all but a handful probably scoured the Holo Projectors to find out more and their love went from there. Yes you have the few players who only played ina madcat or thor and think hey this is the shazbot, but I really do not think it is anywhere that number. My thoughts are closer to 40% may leave if we could not have our 'toys' Even if I had to squish surat scum in a second-line battlemech that has been sitting in a SLDF cache, I would still play Ghost Bear.

#129 Pointman1

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

i've always loved the clans, but to be honest given the chance i don't think i would play as a clan. Then again, plenty of time to think about it. Looking forward to the invasion though. That'll be interesting. :)

#130 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hooey! A true Clansman cares not for shiny things", women do.

#131 Demongirl

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 78 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPoised for Orbital Bombardment

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

NPPCs are shiny.

So are Disco Elementals™.

What is wrong with a woman enjoying shiny objects?

Edited by demongirl, 05 November 2011 - 07:21 AM.

#132 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

Maybe, but those of us who really want to play Clan and want to do it right? We don't necessarily want those people in the first place. Yeah it sounds elitist, but that's the point. Clans are supposed to be an elite faction. Superior weapons are just a bonus for being willing to take on impossible odds for the sake of honor.

I won't lie, I would love the firepower advantage of Clan weapons, I'm an aggressive fighter, but if it makes the difference between having a great play experience in a faction populated mainly by old-school MW2 and BT veterans, and having to slog through matches with tons of foul-mouthed n00bs in braces, with no appreciation for lore and no desire to learn about it, I'll gladly suffer through being nerfed.

#133 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

But you cannot team kill those idiots, because in the end of the day, you would be the bad one (ban, debuff, etc.).
I suppose the devs should stick to the honor system described in some previous post (either you stick to the honor way, or no big mechs).

#134 bert bargo

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

I wouldnt want to.

The Clan is easy mode- they have better weapons and machines so like.. wheres the challenge in that? IS is dirty and run down. You actually have to try with them.

#135 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 04 November 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

Must suck to have a time limit, unlike the rest of us :)

Aff
But just a lil bit... :D

#136 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

View Postbert bargo, on 05 November 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

I wouldnt want to.

The Clan is easy mode- they have better weapons and machines so like.. wheres the challenge in that? IS is dirty and run down. You actually have to try with them.

You are fighting with few numbers.

#137 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

I have to admit that based on the higher percentage of people wanting to play clans some way of maintaining the balance of the clans being vastly outnumbered should be implemented.

Trials of position in order to join the invasion of the Inner sphere would work.

#138 azov

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:04 AM

Call me a communist all you like, but I actually like clan society and would prefer to live in such a world. I wouldn't be offended if I was forced to go through sibko training in offer to receive clan tech other than an out right purchase. I would cherish my sibken kind my own brothers.

#139 flessar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 175 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

View PostThe_Birdeater, on 05 November 2011 - 09:56 AM, said:

Aff
But just a lil bit... :)

Dont worry, my FRR is also on the clock, ours is just a bit smaller :D

#140 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

View Postflessar, on 06 November 2011 - 05:09 AM, said:

Dont worry, my FRR is also on the clock, ours is just a bit smaller :)

And you don't cease to exist, and mesh with a pretty level headed Clan if there was one.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users