To Clan or not to Clan

410 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance? (996 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance?

1. Yes (660 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. No (336 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#381 MasterErrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

Clanners are highly overrated. once the innersphere got over the "shock and awe" of their tech advantage...they started getting their ***** kicked because they are hidebound unimaginative and stagnant.

there are very few clan characters in lore that are interesting.

#382 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostMasterErrant, on 09 August 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

there are very few clan characters in lore that are interesting.

Just the most famous: Phelan Ward, Natasha Kerensky, Ulric Kerensky, Vlad Ward, Aydan Pryde,Diana Pryde,Marthe Pryde (not really a fan..), also i like secondary characters like Carew, Ranna,Horse (so funny imo :) )just from the two most "famous" Clans. If there were more novels about other Clans there would be more interesting characters.

Edited by CyclonerM, 09 August 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#383 cRaZy8or5e

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 9
  • Mercenary Rank 9
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Uhhhh .... get access to better weapons and support systems and omnimechs oh my!?!?! I mean some people are gluttons for punishment and/or romantics who like to fight losing battles against overwhelming odds ... but that's not me B)

Edited by cRaZy8or5e, 12 August 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#384 Lucas Dagger

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

Clans are mean evil people

#385 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

View Postkauky shadinkle, on 12 August 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Clans are mean evil people

The Successor Lords,instead, were and are the good people: they have fought four long and bloody wars,but they were only to free the captured planets from the tiranny of their former ruler. They think technology should not be used to make war, so they destroyed factories and research centers. If lot of scientists died and lot of technological knowdlege has been lost, it is only for peace purposes. And we are the evil guys,quineg?

I am a Warden,but it seems you do not deserve our protection against the Crusaders. Oh well,this is what you get if you let them invade the Inner Sphere like conquerors :ph34r:

#386 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 08 June 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

If it wasn't for the Clans holding to Clan honor, the IS, in 3053, would have included "Quiaff" and "Quineg" in their vocabularly, and not because it sounds cool.

In 3053 the clans might have controlled Earth, but for what purpose? Were they so delusional as to think conquering earth would make everyone bow down to them? Holding Earth was all it took for them to replace one hereditary ruling class with another?
In the BTech universe, Earth is a hub of communication and travel for ComStar. So, what? The successor states had always functioned without it.

So, if the clans defeated 1/4 of the Inner Sphere forces and conquered Earth (and after the losers were done disputing who would be the ilClan) they'd still have to subjugate the other 3/4 of the Inner Sphere. Good luck with that. The Jihad - a single faction throwing a nuclear hissy-fit - would be short and sweet, by comparison. Conquering Earth wouldn't bring peace to anyone. It would bring a whole new level of ruin for humankind.

#387 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

Personally, why would I want to be a clanner when I am already a space Viking who can merely pillage their tech and burn their mechs???? :ph34r:

#388 Kiritumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 120 posts
  • LocationIyanden

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

I will play who I need to ride a Mad Dog. <3

#389 XFactor777

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 13 August 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

In 3053 the clans might have controlled Earth, but for what purpose? Were they so delusional as to think conquering earth would make everyone bow down to them? Holding Earth was all it took for them to replace one hereditary ruling class with another?
In the BTech universe, Earth is a hub of communication and travel for ComStar. So, what? The successor states had always functioned without it.

So, if the clans defeated 1/4 of the Inner Sphere forces and conquered Earth (and after the losers were done disputing who would be the ilClan) they'd still have to subjugate the other 3/4 of the Inner Sphere. Good luck with that. The Jihad - a single faction throwing a nuclear hissy-fit - would be short and sweet, by comparison. Conquering Earth wouldn't bring peace to anyone. It would bring a whole new level of ruin for humankind.

So when the IS's entire communication network goes black and you don't know what's going on in in your own system (let alone the one next to you) how exactly do you fight back? If I went back in time and gave the British commanders a single radio I would be in "New Britain" right now.

Edited by XFactor777, 13 August 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#390 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

It's a convenient hub, due to geography. How do you figure the whole network will go down? Considering data is the only thing that travels very quickly in this universe, each ComStar station on each planet has to be pretty self-sufficient. Every successor state will rush to offer ComStar a location for a new HQ.

Furthermore, if the communications hub on Earth goes dark, or only works to send out the space-commies' messages of self-congratulation, EVERYONE will know the location of the clans' new HQ. The only thing saving the clanners on Earth will be if the IS forces decide, out of sentiment, that they don't want to reduce the Earth to a barren rock.

The part of this scenario that remains the same as canon is that the Inner Sphere would have a common cause, and form a new alliance. A new Star League, just like the clans wanted! I guess they can declare victory, after all!

#391 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostXFactor777, on 13 August 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

If I went back in time and gave the British commanders a single radio I would be in "New Britain" right now.

Technically, if you gave them a single radio, they would all be staring at it and wondering what all the white noise was. In order for your scenario to be true, you would need to give them at least two radios. And while communications blackouts are annoying, they aren't necessarily crippling. Commander's in the field typically have the autonomy to act in the absence of orders and can make thier own deductions as to why they aren't hearing from the top. But honestly, in 3050, Earth really wasn't all that significant and had very little bearing on what the other areas were doing. Just a symbol as the cradle of humanity.

#392 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

I would not want to be a Clanner, however I would not say no to some of there Weapons or Mechs

#393 Jaded Mantis

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

I think what they should do is to require the right to be a clan warrior to be earned first. Only if you can test out successfully do you get to drop as clan.

#394 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Clan. House. Doesn't matter to me. You're all a bunch of big-talking, arrogant blowhards that just want to wave your power sticks around, thump your chest and shout about how much better you are than anyone else.

Me and the guys like me? We're the only ones that are truly free. I fight when I want, where I want, and for whatever cause or coin I deem worthy of my time and effort free of anything even remotely resembling a commitment or servitude. So keep looking down your nose at me, at the grubby mercenary in his grubby little 'Mech. I'll just keep smilin',

#395 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 13 August 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Clan. House. Doesn't matter to me. You're all a bunch of big-talking, arrogant blowhards that just want to wave your power sticks around, thump your chest and shout about how much better you are than anyone else.

Me and the guys like me? We're the only ones that are truly free. I fight when I want, where I want, and for whatever cause or coin I deem worthy of my time and effort free of anything even remotely resembling a commitment or servitude. So keep looking down your nose at me, at the grubby mercenary in his grubby little 'Mech. I'll just keep smilin',

Neg. You serve the money god :) And we have more fun in this way because we like roleplaying (or just like the Clans).
Everyone is free to play with new friends,serving a House, a Clan or himself.
And i am a mild one, the usual Clanners despite mercenaries ;)

#396 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 15 August 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Neg. You serve the money god :unsure: And we have more fun in this way because we like roleplaying (or just like the Clans).
Everyone is free to play with new friends,serving a House, a Clan or himself.
And i am a mild one, the usual Clanners despite mercenaries :huh:

Such an archaic point of view. Sure, money's great. Keeps the 'Mech running, keeps the crew paid, keeps food in our bellies and drink in our coolers- but that ain't all of it. I'm beholden to no one but myself; my aims, my goals, my wants, my needs, my coin. I don't have to march off to war just because some snot-nosed brat Lord got offended by some other snot-nosed Lord and decided to settle the affair by throwing a bunch of people who have no connection to the whole thing save their allegiances into a fire. I'll pass on that, thanks.

I'll go where I want, even if the pay ain't great. A good scrap? Worth it. Noble cause with no pay? Worth it. Just because I'm bored? Also worth it. That, my friend, is freedom.

#397 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

After reading lore on the clans i'd rather not. It took me a couple weeks to decide which Inner Sphere house I wanted to join. Clans don't seem like a good group of people I want to fight for. I'll stick to Inner Sphere thanks. The more I read clan lore the more I didn't want to.

#398 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 15 August 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Such an archaic point of view. Sure, money's great. Keeps the 'Mech running, keeps the crew paid, keeps food in our bellies and drink in our coolers- but that ain't all of it. I'm beholden to no one but myself; my aims, my goals, my wants, my needs, my coin. I don't have to march off to war just because some snot-nosed brat Lord got offended by some other snot-nosed Lord and decided to settle the affair by throwing a bunch of people who have no connection to the whole thing save their allegiances into a fire. I'll pass on that, thanks.

I'll go where I want, even if the pay ain't great. A good scrap? Worth it. Noble cause with no pay? Worth it. Just because I'm bored? Also worth it. That, my friend, is freedom.

Very well,but not all mercenary are like Wolf's Dragoons or Kell Hounds..
If you have a bit of honor and not just a money-grabber warrior,is better.

View PostZarla, on 15 August 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

After reading lore on the clans i'd rather not. It took me a couple weeks to decide which Inner Sphere house I wanted to join. Clans don't seem like a good group of people I want to fight for. I'll stick to Inner Sphere thanks. The more I read clan lore the more I didn't want to.

You are free to choose. Just remember that there is not a single House who is "good" or much better than the others, even the Davions and the quite pacific Mariks. In Battletech all factions have their evil people and events.

#399 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

shot in the dark here but whatif we all had access to the same mechs/upgrades/weapons we do regardless of faction/clan (sort of like it is now) but i can rock a clan wolf banner in my cockpit :) and whatever cw has in store for us, just sounds like you guys are getting a bit too nerded out at the cannon stuff like theyd ragequit if a clan era mech was available and timeline blah blah, i'd just like to see the clans/mechs i recognize from my past never heard of tabletop till coming here and now i know why the little mech statues at the hobby store looked different than the ones in mw2 i got free with a voodoo2 card back in the 90's 0.o nerf clan era mechs buff the inner sphere mechs do whatever i dont care but i have no connection to any of the current factions im fine with that :D all of them kind of suck since theyre all some sort of dictatorial martial law military boehner brainwashed masses to fight and die for some purpose or another, yes dont be fooled by "democracy" 2 wolves and a sheep voting whats for dinner whens the last time a politician actually represented you and never flipped sides. i'd rather be a lone wolf pirate living on the fringe and whats with all this muarader worship i think the nova/blackhawk were cooler :)

#400 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postuser5318, on 27 September 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

shot in the dark here but whatif we all had access to the same mechs/upgrades/weapons we do regardless of faction/clan (sort of like it is now) but i can rock a clan wolf banner in my cockpit :P and whatever cw has in store for us, just sounds like you guys are getting a bit too nerded out at the cannon stuff like theyd ragequit if a clan era mech was available and timeline blah blah, i'd just like to see the clans/mechs i recognize from my past never heard of tabletop till coming here and now i know why the little mech statues at the hobby store looked different than the ones in mw2 i got free with a voodoo2 card back in the 90's 0.o nerf clan era mechs buff the inner sphere mechs do whatever i dont care but i have no connection to any of the current factions im fine with that :P all of them kind of suck since theyre all some sort of dictatorial martial law military boehner brainwashed masses to fight and die for some purpose or another, yes dont be fooled by "democracy" 2 wolves and a sheep voting whats for dinner whens the last time a politician actually represented you and never flipped sides. i'd rather be a lone wolf pirate living on the fringe and whats with all this muarader worship i think the nova/blackhawk were cooler :)

Then you can play Hawken as well, since MechWarrior or Battletech has no meaning for you :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users