34 replies to this topic

#1 Voidsinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

With PGI looking at limiting the chasses that ECM is mounted on initially to certain Light/Medium Builds, what are your picks for the chasses they'll choose and why.

My bet is they'll go with the far more expensive updated variants (with a certain logic to it), and exclude anything currently considered possibly overpowered.

My Bets:

Commando: Likely the 3A if any
Jenner: None (the K model only added case, no other updates), considered overpowered)
Raven: 3L naturally

Cicada: The 9M, updated extensively, a good candidate
Hunchback: Maybe the G, since that would give a founder variant, otherwise none. Hunchies already have massive variety, and the upgrade for 3050 wasn't huge.
Centurion: 9D. It's been reworked, has Artemis, ES, and XL. Also gives a reason to get it when many people had bought the YLW as their third Centurion.

Your thoughts?

#2 Obadiah333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 638 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, Oregon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I hope they don't limit it to only certain chassis. I have multiple chassis 3 tons shy of max just waiting for ECM. AMS is for every mech, why not ECM? I think they should have slots for it, like AMS does, where some mechs have more than 1 slot so they can run BAP and ECM, while most mechs can only choose 1 or the other. I will be sorely dissapointed if I can't run ECM on the mechs that I want to. But I suppose I should get used to being dissappointed.

#3 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm not sure which sources you're looking at for those... ECM will be limited per 'canon' chassis variant that included it, as jumpjets are now.

Best place is to look at www.sarna.net and look through all the variants. Some chassis get future refits using ECM, but won't appear for some time.

#4 Deadoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Ecm is just a jamming and counter electronic warfare suite, if a fine tuned radar and information gathering srray can fit in my foot, why can't I put a computer there?

#5 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 21 November 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

I'm not sure which sources you're looking at for those... ECM will be limited per 'canon' chassis variant that included it, as jumpjets are now.

Best place is to look at www.sarna.net and look through all the variants. Some chassis get future refits using ECM, but won't appear for some time.

They said they'd limit it "like jumpjets".

If they limit it to canon listed variants, then we have the Raven 3L, that's it.

There are reasons to limit it to those mechs with 3050 updates though.

The fact they mentioned "certain light/medium" frams mean they have to do a medium variant with ECM, and zero of the mechs released or planned have a canon variant at 3050 with ECM.

It'll be a case of Hunt the Raven if they don't make other chasses available.

#6 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I think limiting it would be a good idea. It makes certain mechs more viable.

The poor Raven is a prime example. It's not a scout but at this point in the game that's all it can really be used for. The Jenner is much better at this role than the Raven because it was never intended to be such.

#7 Obadiah333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 638 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 21 November 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

I'm looking at the 'ams' limited to certain versions precedent. Every mech should have the option to run either ECM or BAP. Very few should have the abilitiy to run both.

#8 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

if they don't nerf it, then in timeline, only the Raven 3L. period. otherwise, with ubiquitous canon ECM, only tag will work with lrms and streak will be useless against any light pilot worth their chassis.

it is a field generating electronics jammer, like many specialized EW aircraft. in canon, it jams Artemis, C3, Narc, magnetic, and even IR (the heat screen a lot of folks use is heat/IR) for about 180m around the equipped mech. in essence, it confuses any radiation (except the los TAG laser). BAP should not overcome it, just detect that there is a jamming field.

if they do nerf it... well the Raven 3L will lose its role superiority (meaning it will be about what it is now because of the lack of ECM). restricting it to just the mech (no field) is a nerf, imo. however, at least limiting even that to the Raven 3L would be something for the deep scout/TACCOM/PITA to counter the speed and firepower of the scout hunters (jennies and commandos).

Edited by cmopatrick, 21 November 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#9 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Dragon should be the only one to get it in the heavies, will provide a balance against Streak / LRM cats and Atlas etc. They also represent the scouting / cavalry / mobile heavy role. They are also good light hunters, so they need to (story wise, not canon) be able to mess with lights on an equal footing. Finally they are the lightest of the heavies likely to be in game for a long time.

Plus I have a vested interest lol

#10 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Canon mechs only. If you are going to limit it, make it VERY limited. Previously I was hoping to see it as an option on other chassis, but I no longer want that.

#11 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Things like this give players a reason to want to use specific chassis. Right now the Raven is inferior to the other lights because it's not deisnged to be a light killer or fast moving scout. If this was an option limited to certain chassis like the Raven it gives it a specific role to fulfill and makes it much more viable

#12 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Yes, it makes it limited to the Raven-3L now, but when this game reaches a more complete state with Community Warfare, or more or less when its not considered "Beta" anymore, there will be more Mech's by then and future variants that utilize ECM could be added. .

#13 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I think people undersell the Raven. It has just as much customisation as other mechs.

Nothing is fixed in this game except Jump Jets really, and the Raven has one variant with those.

The Raven 3L does have an extra module slot already.

Just because it was built as thew Capellan Confederation's EW mech doesn't mean other mechs should suffer too much.

They make the Raven the only carrier, then Raven Rage becomes legitimate. They need variations out there.

I do like the idea of having Guardian or Beagle, but not both except for certain mechs.

The big issue for MWO, is that they haven't implemented all mechs, they gave C3 like capabilities to all mechs available (sorry Draconis combine, your mechs don't get something special).

They make it canon only, then what will the call for the next mech be like if you don't like the noise Ravens make?

Edited by Voidsinger, 21 November 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#14 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

I hope they limit the ECM extensively, but make it quite effective. Would be nice for scouts to have more of an electronic, scouty role, instead of being harassers.

#15 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Raven. Commando.

no to the Jenner for bap and ecm Jenner is already the most powerful light, the other lights need EW to be a little more viable.

#16 Obadiah333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 638 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

I want to put one on my Atlas K with double AMS and snipe at LRM boats. Big fun!

#17 New Breed

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

I was reading that they (so far) might only give ECM to lights/mediums..

okay, how about you fix the netcode before putting ECM then in to make it fair, I don't even have to begin to say how stupid this will be if you don't fix anything.

#18 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

View PostGhost Bear, on 21 November 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

okay, how about you fix the netcode before putting ECM then in to make it fair, I don't even have to begin to say how stupid this will be if you don't fix anything.

even though i'm a light pilot (and a RVN-3L apologist to boot), i have to agree with this... completely and without reservation.

they need to add knockdown back in also, with graduation by weight and considerations for basic Newtonian physics.

it should take an uber light pilot to take on an assault 1v1; i have only seen two that i thought could do it if everything were fixed and it was a neutral field (no other combatants and the ability of the assault to move to a location with good field of fire options).

Edited by cmopatrick, 21 November 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#19 Blastcaps

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostArcturious, on 21 November 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Dragon should be the only one to get it in the heavies, will provide a balance against Streak / LRM cats and Atlas etc. They also represent the scouting / cavalry / mobile heavy role. They are also good light hunters, so they need to (story wise, not canon) be able to mess with lights on an equal footing. Finally they are the lightest of the heavies likely to be in game for a long time.

Plus I have a vested interest lol

their also by default the fastest heavy.

#20 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Raven, Cicada, Dragon and maybe at one point Highlander.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users