sadly...

#22 EmeraldSongbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAt my computer...

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Going back on this I wouldn't even have the slots to fit an AC/20 on my mech. Though I do thoroughly enjoy the dual gauss loadout, it seems I will make it permanent. Thanks for the input guys.

#23 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

one thing I hate more than any other build are Gauss Cat's. Why? well, because just honestly LOOK at the Gauss Rifle, its a HUGE weapon, and SOMEHOW they manage to wedge that weapon into a slot that graphically looks barely large enough to handle the machine guns that WERE there to start with, and yet they wedge TWO into the mechs CHIN? talk about unbalanced.

#24 EmeraldSongbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAt my computer...

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 22 November 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

one thing I hate more than any other build are Gauss Cat's. Why? well, because just honestly LOOK at the Gauss Rifle, its a HUGE weapon, and SOMEHOW they manage to wedge that weapon into a slot that graphically looks barely large enough to handle the machine guns that WERE there to start with, and yet they wedge TWO into the mechs CHIN? talk about unbalanced.

Yeah it would definitely make more sense if those 2 giant cannons they had were used to house the ballistics instead of energy weapons. Though a plus is their torso does not articulate nearly enough as their energy cannons, so fighting them on a hill is a winning battle.

Edited by Doobles, 22 November 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#25 EldenLance

• PipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Interesting. I tried a poll on YLW/AH case, and you know what? AC/20 won it.
Because the Centuriont is a warrior of a sword an shield. The '20 seems more like sword, then that fragile hi-tech gauss does.

#26 LittleTigru

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

I prefer AC20 for stylepoints!

#27 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

I like both, however the Gauss pretty much wins every time if you can use it right.

If you round a corner and meet an atlas with an ac/20 vs your atlas with a gauss, the ac/20 will win the day generally...at least thats how it plays out for me when I face gauss atlas's in my ac atlas.

If however they can get shots on you before you get into ac/20 range then they will usually beat you out unless you can get the lost dmg back from having more ML or SRM's.////

The other bonus of the gauss is pretty much no heat, and the range lets you take pot shots at long range targets for good dmg. You can't do that in the ac/20......

So pretty much the gauss wins except in 1 situation.

Edited by Fooooo, 23 November 2012 - 12:20 AM.

#28 DerSpecht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

I play my hunchback 4g with AC20. Tried both but AC20 just fity my playstyle more. I use hills and other obstacles to peek with my shoulder, fire one round and then fall back. Even in desperate situations i manage to cripple heavies and assaults. You can tear an atlas shoulder apart with 2 shots so i'll stick with it.

#29 Grimnir79

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

I like the AC/20 so much I haven't even tried out the Gauss Rifle yet so I can't tell which one is better. That beeing said, I choose my loadout because it seems fun; not because it is the most efficient.
For me boating just seems boring, much more fun to have a balanced loadout.

Edited by Grimnir79, 23 November 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#30 Urza Mechwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBrazil, Santa Catarina

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostObadiah333, on 22 November 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Gauss is the be all end all of weapons. There is no comparison to any other weapon in the game that is even close. Always take guass if you must mount one of the two. Heck, take gauss and build your other weapon systems around it. If you can mount it, do it.

not 100% true. Medium lasers are still superior on the department of compact firepower. When you are in a small mech , medium lasers are the best weapon.

#31 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

Besides the fact that they are made for quite different ranges:
AC/20 Brawler weapon
Gauss Sniper weapon

I always use the Gauss just because heat is a non-issue.
This way I can put a crapload of lazors in my mech and if I am about to overheat
I can still fire that Gauss. While the AC/20 gets rediculously hot.

If heat was reduced I would use it again
Currently we have:
AC2 - AC5 - AC10 - AC20
1 - 1 - 3 - 6

I would suggest something around:
AC2 - AC5 - AC10 - AC20
0.5 - 1 - 2 - 4
1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Edited by Red squirrel, 23 November 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#32 Orkhepaj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

Lets see , a moder tank fires its armor piercing shell around 5,700 ft/s (1,700 m/s) , i cant see why in MWO the AC shells are so slow. Oh and the stupid auto crossing the arms when the target is close, it makes AC way too hard to aim a moving and or close target.

#33 Triggerhippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 415 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe pivotal locus of the Universe

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

This is like saying which is better, this screwdriver or this hammer? Differant tools for differant jobs my friend, better is totally subjective.

#34 EldenLance

• PipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

A hammered screw holds better then a screwdriven nail... so gauss is a hammer.

#35 DerSpecht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

View PostOrkhepaj, on 23 November 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Lets see , a moder tank fires its armor piercing shell around 5,700 ft/s (1,700 m/s) , i cant see why in MWO the AC shells are so slow.

Then you must be blind. Think about the range a modern tank can engage the enemy. Its all about balancing. Comparing RL stuff to laz0r mech spaceship games is utterly stupid btw.

#36 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

I've seen CAT-K2 drop a light mech in a single volley with a pair of AC/20's. I've never seen that with a pair of Gauss.

The major downside of an AC/20 is that you need to get in close and if you're big enough to fit one, you generally take too long to get in close. Better of with a uAC/5 or a Gauss at that point.

That said, a Cicada with a AC/20 is a monster until it dies.

#37 Vincent Lynch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 22 November 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Problem with that is the AC20 prevents you from taking an XL engine, still it should be doable but I don't know how effective it will be.

Wait for the JagerMech. It can mount those with an XL engine (enough space for an AC/20 in one arm as it doesn't have hand or lower arm actuators), and I bet we will see that build, if only for sh**s and giggles. :rolleyes:

#38 Cat Pope

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

As a Gauss-cat user, I can attest highly to the range and effectiveness of the weapon. With range of over 1200+ meters that I've fired personally and no drop off, it's clearly superior in terms of range.

The damage that I have seen AC/20's do at close range is formidable. But I've found that Gauss can be equally devastating when placed correctly. I've one-shotted lights before at ranges of up to 800m (and have been called an 'aimbotting hacker' for it), and one or two carefully placed hits, even at close range, can knock the arms off any assault or light (Commando in question).

Gauss for me is great, but its most useful asset is its range. But can I see why people would like the playstyle the AC/20 offers instead.

#39 zverofaust

• 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I used to absolutely ******* love the AC/20 back in September before they introduced random critical damage to weapons. After that, it was never the same. The Atlas has such a massive bulk and moves so slow its easy as nothing to snipe the AC/20 to death as more often than not it'll become crippled at the SLIGHTEST bit of damage. This was a real absolute travesty and made it next to useless since most games I'd only get 3-4 shots off before it died. So I switched to the Gauss, much more consistent weapon with better range and not much less damage. My mind was absolutely made up one match when I ran into another Atlas who was armed exactly as I was -- except he had an AC/20 instead of a Gauss (otherwise we both had 4xML and 1xSRM6). We met at very close range coming around a hill on Forest Colony. I absolutely plastered him; Gauss+ML into his RT and his AC/20, and the bulk of his damage output, was instantly gone. This was despite being in his perfect engagement range, in CT he would have had a good chance to mop the floor with my face, but not MWO...

#40 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

The AC20 is like totally metal, while the Gauss is adult-contemporary. Do you want to be hardcore, or do you want to use the weapon your mom would use?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users