Raven...help Me To Help You

75 replies to this topic

#21 Boris The Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

ECM is chasis limitied to the Raven at the minute.... sadly the ECM is an empty box that weighs 1.5 tonnes.

#22 Orkhepaj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

remove jenner from the game

#23 Dwarfling

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

Your problem is that you're not going top speed because of your engine. Use the biggest engine available. I think the 2X can go up to 122kph with an XL245 (Speed Tweak) and the 3L can almost reach the 140kph cap with a 280XL and Speed Tweak.

Also, MPLAS ain't great when you don't have the heat or tonnage to spare. And you don't.

#24 Robert Corso

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Here's a vid of my Raven-4X in action. I'm not the best at MWO, but I think this vid shows ravens have potential.

Raven-4X
245 XL Engine
AMS
2 Medium Pulse Lasers
SRM6 (2 tons ammo)

#25 Walk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Alright. Couple of things...
first off, you are too slow. You are a light mech, therefore speed is life. Recite that mantra until you have the biggest engine you can shove in that fat little ravens ***.
second off: your heat is ****. 1.02 means you WILL have overheating problems after a couple of shots. Get those med pulse lasers the hell out of there, they generate to much heat for your poor little raven. It is better to have a smaller alpha strike but have better long fight damage.

Here is my Raven 3L(which is the same one you are using, I think). In order to do this, I have 13 double heatsinks, and use endo-steel with standard armor. My armor is maxed with the exception of left arm, which is at 10.

This makes an effective light hunter, with a 15 laser alpha and 2 streaks, most jenners get outgunned by the constant barrage of missiles and (if you are a good shot) lasers. Also, with the 15 laser alpha, you can successfully make yourself a pain to heavy or assault mechs, as long as you hit them in their rear armor, which is the only place you should be hitting them, anyway. Use this build as a light mech hunter and rear armor harasser. That is its role.
XL Engine 295
3 Medium lasers
2 Streak SRM 2

Firepower 25
Heat efficiency 1.33
[Speed 136.5+.1(136.5)

Edited by Walk, 25 November 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#26 Axeman1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

Sturdier than the Commando but still inferior to the Jenner.

#27 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Honestly, you need to answer the question of how you want to play before anyone can give you build advice. If you want to be a true scout, you're going to need to devote at least 3.5 tons to ECM and BAP. If not, then you need to go with the JJ version and go on from there. As has been said, speed is life so if you're not going at maximum speed, you're pretty much meat. I've been running the 280 in my Cicada and, at only 113 kph, I'm a lot easier to hit then when I originally went 130 kph in my 2A variant. It makes a HUGE difference.

#28 Yigyam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostDanipenn, on 25 November 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

Once I install the heavier XL 295 engine I'll think of something else.

Cheers :)

Is it possible to fit an XL300 in? That's what I always ran in my ravens. It gives you an extra heatsink (2 with doubles), and an extra crit slot free heatsink slot for just slightly more weight. In addition its a good engine to swap into other mechs that may benefit from the extra heatsinks even more, saving you from buying yet another XL engine.

Don't believe people that put the jenner above the raven. That may be true for their stock builds, but once speed is equal they're very similar. I actually prefer the raven for how its hitboxes line up. I was always able to spread the damage across the whole mech much easier than in a jenner.

#29 Fenix0742

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 265 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Here are my Raven builds:
3L: 2x ML, 2x SSRM2 + 2 tons of ammo, XL295, BAP, Endo, Full FF armor less 6 points from the cockpit, 12x DHS. When I built it, I forgot all about the tag slot, but it's hard to hit lights with lasers anyways and it's pretty heat efficient this way. I heard that BAP made streaks lock on faster, but I didn't have much experience with them before so I'm not sure if it made a difference. Effective as a light hunter. With speed tweak you can keep pace with jenners and the full armor lets you chew through commandos. I also moved some of the armor to the rear: 14 in the back and 12 on the sides: other mechs have a tendency to shoot you in the back, and that's where I noticed streaks end up hitting in a circle SSRM duel.

2x: 4x ML 1x SSRM + 1ton ammor. XL 245, Endo, Full Standard armor. This build is the cheapest to maintain as you don't need FF, and is best used for supporting brawlers. 4ML is good at exploiting and even creating weak points in enemy mechs. The single SSRM helps you chase off lights that don't have streak, but you'll lose to more light-killer focused builds, as you don't have the speed to keep up, so stick with your buddies. You could probably mount an SRM6 to maximize your potential against larger targets, but you'd probably have to shave some heatsinks or armor to do so, and the 4ML are good enough.

4x: This one is kind of tricky, since it doesn't have focused hardpoints and is too light to peform as a generalist, so I went goofy mode and built a heavy ballistics platform.
XL 225, 10DHS, Endo, FF with no armor on the laser arm, 9 points taken from the the cockpit, 1 point from each side torso, 4 points from the CT, and 10 points from each leg. This gives you 17 tons free to mount whatever ballistics you choose. AC/20 and 3 tons of ammo, Gauss and 2 tons of ammo, 2x AC/2 and 5 tons of ammo...the world is your oyster. You're fast enough to be where you should, but you're not gonna stand up in a one on one fight. Still, it's funny to pop out from behind a friendly atlas with an AC/20 and nearly strip the CT from a medium or heavy before they can react, then run off snickering, or backcore an atlas that's got tunnelvision in a duel with the fury of double AC/2 with 8DPS.

I imagine my builds will change once ECM is in, and they might become even more viable once there are more team-oriented modules, as the 3L can mount 4 with the mastery. Can anyone say command raven?

#30 Orkhepaj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 25 November 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Honestly, you need to answer the question of how you want to play before anyone can give you build advice. If you want to be a true scout, you're going to need to devote at least 3.5 tons to ECM and BAP. If not, then you need to go with the JJ version and go on from there. As has been said, speed is life so if you're not going at maximum speed, you're pretty much meat. I've been running the 280 in my Cicada and, at only 113 kph, I'm a lot easier to hit then when I originally went 130 kph in my 2A variant. It makes a HUGE difference.

Scouting?:)
Yeah sure when you only can target 1 enemy so only 1 enemy will apper to the others. But then you could go use chat or ts to let them know how many enemies are there and in what kind of mechs , but hey you dont need a raven for that at all .
BAP pff you can lock faster hurray... so usefull...
ECM doesnt work
if you want to speed and jj then why not choose the superior jenner in the first place?

Raven --> currently useless compared to the jenner

#31 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

The only Raven you should be using is the 4x because it has ballistics and jumpjets.

Here's my Raven 4X setup:

XL 145 engine (56kph)
AC2x2
4 tons AC2 ammo (300rnds)
Endo-structure
Beagle Active Probe
Dual Heat Sinks
1 Jumpjet

Result is a very nimble scout that can reach high ground and spot for the team / LRM boats. Its AC2 has a range of 2100m and has plenty of ammo to provide damage support to the team.

The Beagle is amazing and with elite modules its even more godly. You get a to high point and almost literally spot everything.

On average I pull 400 dmg with this setup ...few kills but my damage, spotting assists and lock-retention for LRM boats makes a huge contribution.

Edited by Skyfaller, 25 November 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#32 Orkhepaj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

56kmph--> no reason to use a light then

#33 HumanDuracell

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 60 posts
  • LocationOn that hill over there, reporting your position to my teammates. They would SO love to meet you...

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostKKRonkka, on 25 November 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

It's a darn shame people only think about Jenner when talking about lights - because it's so OP currently, of course. "Don't bring commado or raven into fight, those are useless". When there's a mech which is better in every aspect it's very, very boring.

Raven would be more useful if it would have aoe sensor jamming devices that belongs to it. Unique mech features are needed to make not-so-popular mechs more interesting, not just allowing every mech have same feature.

The Jenner is primarily a 'Hit & Run' raider 'mech. A one trick pony. While it's potential as a light 'mech is impressive, that's all it can pretty much do.
Ravens while not having the energy weapon capability of the Jenner are at least a bit more flexible in the roles they can perform and to date (once the Guardian ECM actually has an ingame affect instead of its current placeholder status,) the 3L is the only 'mech that can carry ECM.

As for the whole "Ravens are useless" goes, I dissagree. I believe the Raven is probably the only example currently in game that embodies the vision of 'mechs having specific roles to play which for the Raven is electronic warfare. Once ECM is properly implemented and enemy 'mechs start chasing 'radar ghosts' (a feature that I think has been mentioned by the Devs, not 100% sure,) Ravens will become more popular and probably seen as 'the thinking man's light 'mech", since anyone can hop into a Jenner and start shooting things up.

#34 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostOrkhepaj, on 25 November 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

56kmph--> no reason to use a light then

Its a scout not a lagshield exploiting brawler. Look at the build again and apply some brain power to it. You'll get it.

#35 Magusxion

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

I guess I'll go ahead and share my Raven-3L build. I love the Ravens, and hopefully this will help out others.
I've only seen 2 other Ravens have a similar build, they didn't have Speed Tweak on it though.
That said, Pilot skill will be a contributing factor in your success as a Raven pilot.

Endo Steel: Yes
Ferro-Fibrous: Yes
Double HS: Yes
Armor: 238, full armor, make sure to redistribute some to your back.
Engine: XL 295

Weapons:
2 Streak SRM 2s
2 Medium Pulse Lasers
1 Small laser

Ammo: 2 tons SSRM ammo, put it in the legs
Equipment: BAP

Fire Power: 25
Tonnage: 34.7
Heat Efficiency: 1.14
Speed: 136.5, ~146 with Speed Tweak unlocked

Notes on how to play it:

Congratulations, with Speed Tweak you can outrun Jenners that aren't running their top engine ( most ).
In a fire fight 1v1 another light mech, you will walk away with minimal to medium damage based on your driving skills.
You can handle 2 light mechs at a time and survive if you're a good driver.

Commandos go *pop*, watch out for the 3 SSRM variants.

Heat management:
Chain-fire all of your lasers. Once your heat gets around 80-90, just fire SSRMs until it drops down.

Some options:
You can fool around with tonnage to drop the small laser if you want a Tag for faster SSRM lock-on times.

When ECM actually does something you can drop the MPLAS for Medium Lasers and should have enough tonnage for both the BAP and the ECM.

The Raven-3L is my favorite mech so far, but it will rely on good driving, like most light mechs.

#36 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostDanipenn, on 24 November 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

Dear MechWarriors, I started this game with a Raven and somehow got attached to it. As a consequence, I have all three variants and pretty much play a little bit with different weapons/equipment to see what works and what doesn't. I have unlocked the elite skills and I am planning to become master (so switching to another model is not an option at the moment. I spent too much time and cbills on this and I would like to make it work). However, sometimes I die in a matter of seconds and I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I understand it is a light an it is not supposed to be on the front line as a brawler. I like to support my team and I usually get into the fights trying to add my contribution but at the same time trying not to put myself in between the "big guys" pew pewing each other. However, when they notice me I have a very bad time, mostly from Jenners really, since I can't run away from them (no point really). I would like to hear your opinions on the Raven in general and if you have any advice. At the moment I am trying with: XL Engine 210 3 Medium pulse 2 Streak SRM 2 AMS C.A.S.E. Firepower 28 Heat efficiency 1.02 Speed 97.2 Thanks in advance for your feedback ;)

The problem with this varient is that you want to try and make into another jenner, but its impossible. It cant go as fast, and cant mount the same kind of short range weapons. The best build for this raven varient, is to use a 195 engine, mount 1 long range heavy weapon, and a small laser or 2, and snipe enemies from range. Unfortunately speed is not your armor with this mech, range and cover will be.

Edited by Teralitha, 25 November 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#37 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

It's a Scout Mech prematurely released in a game that has no real point or benefit to scouting yet. The Jenner has more Energy heavy variants, a Founders variant, and jumpjets across the board. The Raven on the other hand brings Ballistic slots to the table with which don't go to much use on a Light. You aren't going to circle strafe at 300 meters spamming an AC 2 or 5. You aren't going use a worthless Machine Gun if you want to win fights. What are you going to use? Not our problem. We don't have the burden of a RVN-4X. You could Ballistic snipe but any heavier Mech could do that better.(See the K2 or CTF 4X) The 4X Raven just sucks and yet that's the only one that has jets. This isn't a Mech you should bother playing at all in the current state of the game. It isn't as useless as a Commando... but in the end you are just an inferior Jenner.

Other useless Mechs include:
Commando(Jenner is even more better than that than the Raven)
Hunchback/Centurion(New Cataphract is better across the board than these and the Dragon was already better than Centurions)
Awesome(Just an inferior Atlas. Much like the Commando vs Jenner, there's no reason to use this weaker choice.)

Edited by Bluten, 25 November 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#38 LynxFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationWA state

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Ya the 4X is a tough nut to crack. Mine has 2 mpl and SRM6 2MGs JJ and BAP. The MG find crits pretty well but don't do enough...could probably drop the MG for a ~220+ engine and make it a more long distance scout. I'm a master pilot now in that chassis but putting it up for auction until a suitable ballistic comes along.

Favorite 2X has 4ML SRM6 standard 200 engine and AMS. It's more a jack of all trades platform suitable for light recon and brawling and offers a bit of missile protection for lance mates.

Favorite Raven by far is the 3L model with 3 ML, 2 SRM6 stock 210xl engine and BAP. Plenty fast enough to short scout missions, locating and marking targets and contributing to the fight W/ 45 firepower that's quite effective for its size particularly against medium chassis.

If you want a really fast mech get a jenner. If you want to screen, do short flank recons and ability to be a lance's quick reaction force you don't need to get much past 100 kph.

#39 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostBluten, on 25 November 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

It's a Scout Mech ....
The Raven on the other hand brings Ballistic slots to the table with which don't go to much use on a Light. You aren't going to circle strafe at 300 meters spamming an AC 2 or 5.
.....What are you going to use? Not our problem. We don't have the burden of a RVN-4X. You could Ballistic snipe but any heavier Mech could do that better.(See the K2 or CTF 4X)

Like I said, 400dmg avg with dual AC2s being fired from over 600m+ . The R4X is an ideal scout and long range support. Spotting targets with BAP+Sensor Module is vital to LRM fire and that can do significant damage to an enemy team. The AC2's from very long range can stop an entire team in their tracks or occupy them for a few seconds while they figure out wth is hitting them... they may see me in the far distance with heat but the constant dakka usually makes them thing a cataphract just rushed them.

Is it a killer mech? No. Its a scout and long range support.

If you want to kill and you ARE an excellent shot and an even better sneaker you can actually load an AC20 or dual AC10's or AC5's on it and have 600+ worth of damage...you just have to give up armor for the ammo.

#40 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

It is most likely the cockpit of the Raven that you like it so much, so much free-look room it feels like an Italian sports car.(I often use it to see behind me at full twist) I have a tricked out RVN-3L waiting for ECM to be put in.

Unfortunately the Jenner ATM is the #1 Light mech, fastest, strongest, packs JJ.(also have an unfinished one in my mechbay) The Raven has it's place, but most of it's advantages have yet to be finished by the devs.

Piloting a Raven right now will be sub-par compared to the Jenner, but that's because the maps are cramped, and very bumpy. It will work, but its slightly better than running a Commando.

Edited by Stingz, 25 November 2012 - 08:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users