• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Kudos for being a Raven pilot.

Here's what works for me:

I run the 2L exclusively, mainly because I like it stock and I refuse to start min-maxing it. I am however upgrading it to XL and DHS as per canon.

I completely agree with your load out. Basically whatever works for you works and it depends entirely on your play style. I prefer the LL for sniping and blasting an SRM6 into backs or faces. ML's I do find are better at burn through, I find the MPL's generate too much heat in a fight as a main weapon for me.

About speed: You don't have to be the fastest, until/if you decide to upgrade to an XL 210 (6/9) I have to think on my feet and plan my route/escape route, instead of just blindly running into anything and everything at high speed. Terrain and tactics still make a difference for me anyhow. Because I don't intend to be seen.

How NOT to be seen.

I will either tell the team which flank I'm scouting, and or follow up on a big boy as he'll be the main target. Here's hoping that the team will at least cooperate. I try never to be the first one into a fight, but the second or third into a fray but certainly the guy behind the big lumbering target.

Raven's against Jenners - the only thing that gives me a chance against those broken mechs is reverses circle turning and keeping a bead on them as they try and circle jerk me. Enough LL shots in the leg and they either break off or are crippled.

Commando's is more of a fair fight, but one SRM6 in the back is enough to cripple them usually. Because Jenner's are such high profile targets I usually lead them back to a friendly doing a shoot and scoot. Enough to drive them off the break a run close to allies.

Cicadas - almost as dangerous as a Jenner, but they turn like a boat and the best time to cripple them is when they crash into a building. Their torso turn isn't as good as the Raven I find and almost always I can get a juicy back or leg shot enough to cause significant damage when they try to strafe me.

In a main fight: I will run drive by passes when targeted duck under their guns by running past and breaking free. Also I'll run towards friendlies to get them to break off then circle around. Or be picky with my targets like the juicy back of a Catapult or Awesome then run away to help cut off a Centy's arm. Alternately I actually hang back once my scouting in the beginning phase is done and guard the support mechs against Jenner raids.

Generally if I get caught in the open I'm dead anyhow, I don't focus on going for the kills and just do damage and engage targets of opportunity. Caustic is the worst map for me and I generally focus on strafing runs. City and Forest canyons are great for being annoying. Literally I try to think like a raven and feed when and where its most opportune, then flock back to friendlies when it looks like trouble.

Edited by rolly, 25 November 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#42 Galenit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

My Raven 3L:

XL 280 (130kph, with speed tweak 140kph)
11 double heatsinks (all in engine)
Endo Steel
c.a.s.e.
ams
B.A.P
3 medium laser
2 ssrm2
1 ton ams ammo
2 tons ssrm ammo
208 armorpoints

If you want more alpha, remove ssrm and bap and build srm6+ srmx in, but think of your left arm, if fires the missiles one after another, for a srm6 you have to aim for al 6 missiles, i prefer srm6+srm2.

Edited by Galenit, 26 November 2012 - 05:26 AM.

#43 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

I'm testing the Raven since it has been released. Here are my versions:

RVN-3L
This Raven has two missile hardpoints. I built it as a mid-range supporter for your first line, protecting from lights and TAGging targets for LRMboats.

Engine: 225XL
Loadout: 1xER LL or 1xLL, 1x ML, 2xSSRM2 +2t ammo
Upgrades: AMS+2t ammo (instead of ECM), BAP, TAG, ES, FF, DHS
Modules: Sensors Range, Target Info (TIG)
Armour: 18, 26/18, 21/11, 21/11, 16, 15, 29, 29
Heat Sinks: 10 (9+1)

It should be played not closer then 400m from the enemy in the early game. Later it could chase other lights. However, you won't win against a normal jenner player (it runs at 150km/h, there's no match), so fall back to your lines if you are in trouble.
This mech must be played in a premade, few meters behind your first line.

RVN-2X
This Raven is my favourite. It can easily do 500 damage in a match while helping your LRM boats.

Engine: 225XL
Loadout: 1xLRM15 +2t ammo, 3x ML or 1xALRM15 +2t ammo, 1x ML, 2xSL
Upgrades: AMS+1t ammo (instead of ECM), BAP, TAG, ES, FF, DHS
Modules: Sensors Range, Target Info (TIG)
Armour: 18, 29/15, 22/10, 22/10, 19, 12, 29, 29
Heat Sinks: 10 (9+1)

TAG is a very good tool with LRMs, this build can easily lock at 1150m and be ready to launch before the enemy can even lock you. The tactic is easy: circle around the target between 200 and 450 meters, TAG them and keep firing LRM (and MLs if you are within 300m). In late-game can close distances and use its 3xML to pinpoint on weakened sides of enemy mechs.
This mech must be played in a premade, between your first and second line.

#44 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I've been using the Raven 4X since CB. Maybe there's other mechs that can do the same thing more effectively, but it's a video game and I have fun in the 4x. The ballistics hardpoint allows you to do something "different" every once in a while, even if it's just for fun and not amazingly effective (AC2's are fun, and maybe even effective if used right).

Right now:

DHS
ES
STD 225 + 1 extra DHS
2 MPLAS
SSRM2 + 1 ton ammo
3 x JJ
2 x MG + 1 ton ammo
104 kph, 1.27 heat scale

I stick with the group and chase off/kill any lights that get close. It does plenty of damage to Jenners and owns commandos when they have to worry about the rest of my team as well. Cicadas are not a problem either. I'm not fast enough to take on Jenners 1:1 or to do any advanced recon without the support of my team near by. Once the enemy lights are dead or chased off, I stick with the big guys and hit-and-run during brawls. I can easily get behind a heavy or assault, chew into their back or weak spots, then peel back off to some cover and plan another hit.

The MPLAS and SSRM's do well against the faster lights. If you're feeling more like taking on some bigger guys, trade in the MPLAS for MLAS and the SSRM for SRM6. Or drop down to a STD195 and throw on an AC2 for some long range support.

I have the MG's on there still since there was talk of giving them a buff. In the meantime they can be removed and allow for more heatsinks, more SSRM ammo, or a bigger engine for a little more speed.

#45 LagomorphPrime

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

I get good results with this build. When ECM is implemented I'll switch it out for BAP and play with it to see if I like it. If it ends up sucking I'll probably just add more ammo and a small laser or something. I like to dart behind enemy lines, sit on their base until I hear someone coming, run back to my group taking drive by shots at anything I pass, then join the grand melee that has usually begun by then. Any fight I don't like I can run away from and find another. Anytime I see a 1 on 1 I join in, after the first several minutes I just start hunting for the enemy mech that has already taken the most damage and try and snag the kill. Never stand still, and never stay in an area where the enemies have decided to focus fire on you. Heat is never a problem, though sometimes I run out of missiles but if I try and save them for other lights it's usually fine.

3L
max armor
XL 280 (and speed tweak, making me as fast as any other mech in the game)
2 x Medium Pulse Laser
2 x SSRM2
1 ton SSRM ammo
12 DHS
BAP

#46 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Just bought the 3L. Only the -7.5% heat dissipation XP is unlocked here, and played with:

XL210 (97.2km/h)
2x ML
1x SRM6
1x SSRM2
BAP
Endo

Now to save for the engine!

NEVERMORE!

Posted Image

#47 Dogan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

So this is what i've been toying around with lately.

Raven 4X
Standard Engine 175
4x Standard Heatsinks
2x Jump Jets
100% Armor - 14 across the back
Endo Steel Upgrade

Beagle Active Probe
1x MPL
1x SSRM
+1t SSRM Ammo
1x AC/2
+1t AC2 Ammo

Its job is to find a flank position behind LRM cover and harass enemy units while providing target information. Best game I've had with it involved flushing units out from behind their LRM cover with the AC/2, on the fringe of radar range. Apparently people don't appreciate getting needled and put themselves into worse positioning to avoid it. When things get close you have the MPL and SSRM which fit into a circle strafe environment. The SSRM's won't miss and the MPL has a shorter firing duration. You won't be taking anything down with them, but combined with good piloting skills (JJ's!) they buy you time to get back to a supported position.

I've built this thing from the ground up using no MC and bankrolled entirely by my meager play winnings. Back when I had premium going I was only pulling 100 - 150k per game. Back when I was able to afford experimentation I learned that XL engines just weren't worth their repair costs. Not losing "money" is a big part of my desire to continue playing (why I stopped playing WoT's at tier 8, negative economical feedback lowering my sense of playability). So what you see here is a machine that will always turn a profit provided you don't do something incredibly stupid like barge head first into a gaussapult.

Now what I'd like to do if profit wasn't an issue, switch out the 175 & 1 HS for an XL200, this frees up 2.5 tons. Drop the armor down a bit here and there to get that up to 3 tons of freedom. Maybe switch over to DHS to make the 2 heatsinks you're required to carry more effecient. That gets you an extra ton of AC2 ammo (which if you're playing it right, you'll want). I'd be thrilled if they allowed ECM on all Ravens and not just the 3L cause it would take this from nice to sweet. Since I don't think they'll do that (and a Jenner with ECM will be seen as better than any Raven :eyeroll:) I'd put another jump jet on here and TAG... for those times when you actually get to play with a group or just to make the SSRM near instantaneous.

I'm afraid of what most of you will say, but go ahead and critique it :D

Dogan
Not entirely happy with it yet, but its serviceable.

#48 MeerKatV

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

The Jenner is no longer getting ECM, hold onto your 3Ls :(

#49 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

View PostMeerKatV, on 29 November 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

The Jenner is no longer getting ECM, hold onto your 3Ls :(

Bwahahahhaa! Excellent!

Edited by Artifex 28, 29 November 2012 - 04:05 AM.

#50 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

So sweet!

Running with

3L with XL295
BAP
Ferro
Endo
2x ML
2x SSRM
14 Sinks

Love it!

#51 DTheSleepless

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

View PostBluten, on 25 November 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

It's a Scout Mech prematurely released in a game that has no real point or benefit to scouting yet. The Jenner has more Energy heavy variants, a Founders variant, and jumpjets across the board. The Raven on the other hand brings Ballistic slots to the table with which don't go to much use on a Light. You aren't going to circle strafe at 300 meters spamming an AC 2 or 5. You aren't going use a worthless Machine Gun if you want to win fights. What are you going to use? Not our problem. We don't have the burden of a RVN-4X. You could Ballistic snipe but any heavier Mech could do that better.(See the K2 or CTF 4X) The 4X Raven just sucks and yet that's the only one that has jets. This isn't a Mech you should bother playing at all in the current state of the game. It isn't as useless as a Commando... but in the end you are just an inferior Jenner.

Other useless Mechs include:
Commando(Jenner is even more better than that than the Raven)
Hunchback/Centurion(New Cataphract is better across the board than these and the Dragon was already better than Centurions)
Awesome(Just an inferior Atlas. Much like the Commando vs Jenner, there's no reason to use this weaker choice.)

View PostStingz, on 25 November 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

It is most likely the cockpit of the Raven that you like it so much, so much free-look room it feels like an Italian sports car.(I often use it to see behind me at full twist) I have a tricked out RVN-3L waiting for ECM to be put in.

Unfortunately the Jenner ATM is the #1 Light mech, fastest, strongest, packs JJ.(also have an unfinished one in my mechbay) The Raven has it's place, but most of it's advantages have yet to be finished by the devs.

Piloting a Raven right now will be sub-par compared to the Jenner, but that's because the maps are cramped, and very bumpy. It will work, but its slightly better than running a Commando.

While I do enjoy hunting Ravens and Commandos, I'd like to point out that Commandos are pretty grossly underrated. They're not amazing and not as broken as Jenners, but Commandos are the only lights that pack three missile hardpoints, making Streak Commandos vicious light hunters. Commandos are also much more agile than Ravens and Jenners; torso and arms turn on a dime, and the chassis isn't too far behind. I think people like to rag on them because they're usually one of those "first purchase" mechs and if you can't pilot him well, he's absolute garbage.

Ravens are more complicated than either of the other lights, and there's more flexibility in what you can do with a Raven. Again, it's easier to just dump six lasers on a Jenner and proclaim yourself Jesus, but I've seen one or two VERY good Raven pilots. It's not strictly worse than the other lights.

I'm working on an ER PPC Raven because frankly, I can. He's not particularly good, but he actually wasn't that bad either. Certainly no worse than my Centurion.

#52 Galenit

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostArtifex 28, on 29 November 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

3L with XL295

How fast is it?
As you see above, my 3L with XL280 goes, with speed tweak, up to 140kph ingame and 130 in the lab.
Just want to know, if its worth to upgrade it.

#53 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostGalenit, on 30 November 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

How fast is it?
As you see above, my 3L with XL280 goes, with speed tweak, up to 140kph ingame and 130 in the lab.

136 k/ph without speed tweak, somewhere past 140 with speed tweak. Fast enough to outrun most opponents.

#54 Hansh0tfirst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

RAVEN RVN-3L
  • XL Engine 295
  • Standard Armor 7.5 tons
  • AMS
  • AMS Ammo 1 ton
  • Streak SRM2 x2
  • Streak Ammo x2 tons
  • TAG
  • Small Laser x2
  • Double Heatsinks 2 (12 total w/ engine)
  • Endo Steel Skeleton
  • Speed: 146kph (with elite skill)
You won't be quite as fast as an equivalent Jenner, nor will you have jumpjets, but generally you'll be able to keep pace with 'em (and get out of trouble when necessary) and with near perfect heat efficiency, you'll be able to hold down the fire button and pew pew like a fiend (even on Caustic Valley). Great scout/harasser.

P.S.: Drop the TAG if you must, but I find it very helpful getting faster locks with the Streaks. When ECM is implemented, I recommend dropping half a ton of armor & a heatsink in order to make room for it.

#55 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

I found 4X best for jenners. 2 med and a guass really hurt when they got stuck. Hypothetically I'd imagine 3L with 2xStreak would be best, yet that really just makes you the same but worse as a streak Jenner.

#56 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostGalenit, on 30 November 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

How fast is it?

How fast, including such bonuses as above, can the fastest mech go? Anything cross 150? 160?

#57 Galenit

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

View PostThomas Covenant, on 30 November 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Hypothetically I'd imagine 3L with 2xStreak would be best, yet that really just makes you the same but worse as a streak Jenner.

With SRMs is lose on streakjenners more then i win, but mostly i run to my bigger friends they kill him.
With ECM and collision back this maybe change.

#58 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

I got a build I like. 3L with both Streak and LRM. Gives me the option to soften before engaging, and don't count the worth of this out until youve tested it for yourself :)

#59 MeerKatV

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

I was just checking out the 3L & it comes with the works - ECM, TAG, BAP & NARC (though this still sucks). This is going to be one hell of a scout even in stock config come Dec 4.

#60 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostMeerKatV, on 01 December 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

I was just checking out the 3L & it comes with the works - ECM, TAG, BAP & NARC (though this still sucks). This is going to be one hell of a scout even in stock config come Dec 4.

The stock RVN-3L was built for pure scouting, a custom one will still do (slightly) better though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users