First Battletech Computer Game You Played?

155 replies to this topic

#21 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

My first BattleTech PC-game was "Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat".

Posted Image

As a kid (12 years), i played the demo in 1995 and later, i bought the fullversion. Later, i bought all released Mechwarrior PC-games (MW2 GBL, MW2 Mercs, MC 1&2, MW3 and MW4 with all addon's).

Today, i still hear the great soundtrack from Mechwarrior 2. In my opinon, the best game-soundtrack ever.
The BT-universe is my personal piece of childhood. :)

Edited by The_Birdeater, 03 November 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#22 Buzzkillin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

MW2 mercs way back when I saw kid, then played MW3 + expansions, MW4 and mercs, and MC1 and 2. I remember in MC1 I had straight 12 ullers and won the campaign just by that.

#23 BowlofEggs

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS, by way of Seoul

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

I annoyed my friends to get to use their C-64 to play Crescent Hawks, but was already a roller of dice~
I missed Ghost Bear, but played all the others. It's no lie about the soundtracks - some great themes over the years.

#24 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

View PostCount Funkula, on 03 November 2011 - 05:55 PM, said:

What was the first Battletech computer game you played?

For me it was "Battletech: Crescent Hawks Inception" on the Commodore 64. It's sequel, "Battletech: Crescent Hawks Revenge" was the game that launched me into RTS and was one of the first real PC games I played, and was one of the first ones that I recall using digitized speech effectively. "This is Fire Leader, over!"

Exactly the same here. I've been a huge Battletech fan ever since.

#25 SteelSpectre

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

My first was MechWarrior, for DOS, made in 1989.
Check this sweet action out:
Posted Image

#26 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

View PostSteelSpectre, on 03 November 2011 - 10:13 PM, said:

My first was MechWarrior, for DOS, made in 1989.
Check this sweet action out:
Posted Image

I recall that one. It was pretty much all about taking out a leg, or hiding behind the terrain sniping. The end battle against the black mechs was tough. I was so disappointed when I upgraded my computer and found that the game play was too fast to be playable.

#27 Johnathan McKenna

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 88 posts
  • LocationKerensky Cluster

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

MW4 Mercs was my first mech PC game, but I was reading the novels and into the universe long before then.

#28 Twilight Sparkle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have to admit my first game was Mechwarrior 3. I hardly understood the universe at the time. But what I saw there drew me in. I've learned a lot since then. =)

#29 Agent 0 Fortune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

I started on Cresent Hawks revenge, although I consider MechWarrior 2 the "first" Mechwarrior computer game.

As for board games, I played a little game called battledroids at a convention and looked for it everywhere, and eventually discovered it was re-released as battletech... and it has been a favorite ever since.

#30 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

BattleTech on the Genesis, then MW2 on the PSX, then MW3 on the PC, then the entire MW4 series of games and expansions, then both MechAssaults, and finally ending with a turn-around back to MW4:Mercs. I more or less grew up with the franchise.

I must admit, I've missed the game this last decade, and I've also been thoroughly upset with every change that occurred after MW3. First the MechLab simplification (MW4), then outright removal of the MechLab (MA1), then removal of the ability to even choose what Mech you use (MW2, and by far the greatest slight against the series)... I bore that burden, but it was a suffering I'd rather not relive.

#31 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Battletech: Crescent Hawks Inception.

#32 Lyra

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat. I was six when I first played it, and I continued to play it for years afterwards. In the end a mix of not being able to run it on my computer and not being able to use my joystick with my computer anymore made me shelve it sadly. I never had any other Battletech games unfortunately. I did have the expansion of MW2 though, the one that introduced the Ghost Bear clan. That was my favourite. I've also played a little bit of three at a friend's house, but I didn't play a whole lot of it. I did get MW2 for my PS1 recently, but it's just not the same (Not to mention frustrating) playing it with the PS controller as opposed to my keyboard or Joystick.

#33 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

Mechwarrior 2 was my first PC game, ever. GBL came shortly thereafter. After reading the holo archives in the Clan halls, my love for Battletech was unshakable.

I have played them all, but there are only two I did not finish: MechAssault, because of how horrible it was, and Crescent Hawk's Inception, because random events repeatedly prevented my finishing the game, lol.

#34 Retaxis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern (New) Jersey, USA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

I've played almost every game in the franchise (at the time of it's release) and Mechwarrior 2 and 3 were the best. Microsoft ruined 4, I couldn't even finish the demo. Technically, the BEST one was the VR pod they had at D&B the last time I was there.

Mech Commander was a lot of fun, but not as re-playable as the simulators.

Reading this made me nostalgic, so I looked on a major retailer's web-site, to find the price on MW2 is the same I bought it for in 1999, and MW3 has actually gone up in price.

Edited by Retaxis, 03 November 2011 - 11:46 PM.

#35 Mindwiper

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:27 PM

Mine was the demo of MW2. The one with the Adder and the MAD IIC back in 95. After that bought MW2 and since then every MW/MC computergame.

#36 IS Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

Might as well link the previous thread on this topic to this one. link. :)

#37 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

Battletech: Crescent Hawks Inception for me as well. Though I liked the game and enjoyed the setting it didn't hook me on the Battletech franchise. That came with Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat. Not only was the game great (me and a friend kept on playing it on his dad's computer) but each mission had loads of background information for the person willing to read it. And the library had even more!!

That's what lead me to actually playing the tabletop game and buying the books. Stil having fun with it today!

#38 IntruderAlert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:57 AM

MW2 and more specifically netmech95....woot! for wire frame lag training advantage on 28K dialup!

Then every version since.... :)
-IA

Edited by IntruderAlert!, 04 November 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#39 Lori Black Widow Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

Mechwarrior for DOS by Activision was my first Battletech computer game back in 1991.

#40 FireBlood

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:41 AM

MW2 and all its expansions!!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users