97 replies to this topic

#21 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Q: Can I please have a Bunny Head sticker, similar to something a magazine of long standing might use, to put on my mechs? It seems fitting, don't you think? [TheFuzzyBunny]
A: If we can avoid litigation, I'll see what I can do ;) [Garth]

Thank you Garth!! I shall drink in your honor!

#22 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostSajuk Kar, on 03 December 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Is this a joke? So this is a "beta" but we're not really beta testers, and we're not allowed to test features of the game, just accept whatever the devs tell us as truth. Like "I could core a fully armored Atlas from behind with my jenner in 3 seconds with DHS". Just believing what other tell you as fact without having any desire to verify the information yourself, that's a really great outlook to have in life.

No, it means they have made a choise and we have to live with it. I would not have minded a pure 2.0 test, but honestly I am totally ok with 2.0/1.4. I still use DHS on almost every build I have, including 2 out of 3 of the atlas builds I use.

To me that says they are worth while. Bumping them would only raise total DPS (especially for heavies) and throw off balance.

The horse is dead Jim.

#23 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 December 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Q: Can we please at least try DHS at 2.0? It doesn't seem like much of a boost to lights who usually benefit mostly from the engine heat sinks, but heavies and assaults that use big energy weapons need the boost. [Wolfways]
A: No. Prior to releasing the Dual Heatsink upgrade the forums were abuzz with whether or not they would be mandatory on all Mechs. With the numbers we've chosen, they aren't, so I'd say we answered those questions well. [Garth]

Let me tell you, this is a p!ss-poor answer.

Double Heat Sinks are supposed to be a straight upgrade. No reason not to use them, other than your design not having enough free critical slots to take full advantage of them. Who cares if doubles are mandatory? They're not SUPPOSED to be balanced against singles. So it takes twenty or so matches to afford them (assuming you don't win all of the matches) ... so what? They are definitely worth it, when at full strength.

Just like the Ultra and LB-X autocannons are supposed to be straight upgrades. Assuming you can afford the extra cost, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use standard autocannons (especially when LB-X ACs can use standard rounds). They aren't balanced, and they're not supposed to be.

Just like Clan tech is supposed to be a straight upgrade. No sense in trying to balance it out, because you'd just end up nerfing it into the ground. Clan LRMs are supposed to be lighter by half, take up less space, and have no minimum range. Clan standard SRMs are also supposed to be lighter by half. Their Streak launchers are supposed to be lighter as well. Not only that, but they get the full range of Ultra and LB-X autocannons (2, 5, 10, 20) right away, not just the Ultra-5 and LB-10 X. Their Endo Steel takes up only 7 slots, and their Ferro-Fibrous is a 20% bonus for 7 slots instead of a 12% bonus for 14 slots. Their XL engines only take up 2 slots in the L/R torsos, so they don't die when one of the L/R torsos are destroyed. Their double heat sinks only take up 2 slots each, so they can be equipped in the legs and center torso.

I WANT MY FULL-STRENGTH DOUBLE HEAT SINKS, DAMN IT!!! These "Improved" Heat Sinks aren't good enough. Especially with Clan tech looming on the horizon.

#24 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

Edited: my emotions get the best of me sometimes. Its up to me to adapt to their game.

Edited by Viper69, 04 December 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#25 Azantia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hardpoints....I need hardpoint information on the highlander!

#26 Tvae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 203 posts
  • LocationPort Sunkissed

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

View PostPapaKilo, on 03 December 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

Double Heat Sinks are supposed to be a straight upgrade. No reason not to use them, other than your design not having enough free critical slots to take full advantage of them. Who cares if doubles are mandatory? They're not SUPPOSED to be balanced against singles. So it takes twenty or so matches to afford them (assuming you don't win all of the matches) ... so what? They are definitely worth it, when at full strength.

Just like the Ultra and LB-X autocannons are supposed to be straight upgrades. Assuming you can afford the extra cost, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use standard autocannons (especially when LB-X ACs can use standard rounds). They aren't balanced, and they're not supposed to be.

Just like Clan tech is supposed to be a straight upgrade. No sense in trying to balance it out, because you'd just end up nerfing it into the ground. Clan LRMs are supposed to be lighter by half, take up less space, and have no minimum range. Clan standard SRMs are also supposed to be lighter by half. Their Streak launchers are supposed to be lighter as well. Not only that, but they get the full range of Ultra and LB-X autocannons (2, 5, 10, 20) right away, not just the Ultra-5 and LB-10 X. Their Endo Steel takes up only 7 slots, and their Ferro-Fibrous is a 20% bonus for 7 slots instead of a 12% bonus for 14 slots. Their XL engines only take up 2 slots in the L/R torsos, so they don't die when one of the L/R torsos are destroyed. Their double heat sinks only take up 2 slots each, so they can be equipped in the legs and center torso.

I WANT MY FULL-STRENGTH DOUBLE HEAT SINKS, DAMN IT!!! These "Improved" Heat Sinks aren't good enough. Especially with Clan tech looming on the horizon.

Wow, angry much?

I personally disagree completely, and think it was a perfectly valid move. Sure, I think they could still use a slight buff up to maybe 1.6 or so, but having them be completely double would likely be a terrible idea.

"BUT... BUT... THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE COMPLETE UPGRADES!" you might complain.

Okay, cool. Except, even when they were the full 2.0, they weren't always. There was always those few designs where single heatsinks were preferable to double heatsinks, so even when they were 2.0 they weren't complete upgrades. All that reducing them from the full 2.0 does is make it so there are more options; where there are more mechs that can actually choose which is better instead of saying "okay, let me just keep saving up to get the next tier!". Yes, it's aggravating while heat as a whole isn't completely balanced, but they're working on that.

If you think that having more viable options for players to choose from is a bad idea, you clearly don't understand game design and should just step out of the conversation. "Oh, but it's different from TT!" Yes, and your point is? Honestly, in cases such as this, that can actually be a good thing - so long as they can balance correctly around it, which they've said they plan on doing once all the available gear is in. Which should be very soon. Which means balance changes will become more common soon.

Edited by Tvae, 03 December 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#27 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostTvae, on 03 December 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Yes, it's aggravating while heat as a whole isn't completely balanced, but they're working on that.

Unless they're going to reduce heat as a whole by 20-30%, it will never be balanced. They could reduce the rate of fire, or reduce the amount of heat per shot while keeping the current rate of fire. Not just for certain weapons either -- every single one needs work. Even after reducing the overall heat, doubles STILL need to be full-strength.

Full-strength double heat sinks wouldn't fix heat the way it is right now. They would help a lot though.

I'm fully maxed out on my Jenners -- Master all the way. I'm not using ER weapons at all, just standard stuff. Yet I'm overheating like a **** with four medium lasers and two Streak-2s even with 13 double heat sinks on Frozen City. Full-strength doubles wouldn't make it heat-neutral, but they'd give me another alpha before the overheat warning goes off. Guess what -- that GIVES ME MORE OPTIONS.

What's going to happen when Clan tech gets here and we have ER weapons that generate even more heat? Every single 'Mech on the field is going to be overheating 20 times a match with these "Improved" Heat Sinks.

Edit: And you're gawd damn right I'm angry that they aren't even considering giving us full-strength doubles. That's bullsh!t. I know it, you know it, and they know it.

Edited by PapaKilo, 03 December 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#28 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostSprouticus, on 03 December 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

The horse is dead Jim.

*beats Sprouts horse some more*

I ain't dead yet! ;)

#29 Thirdrail

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Private
  • Private
  • 169 posts
  • LocationI'm just wandering around.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Wait, my first question was serious.

WHY does PIRANHA games use the skinless head of a minotaur for their logo?! The piranha is a fish! A FISH, I TELL YOU!!!

I was kind of hoping that one of the various questions about founders and camo spec would at least get a, "It's coming at some point." type answer, so I could consider the matter resolved and go back to my life as everything other than a spokesmodel for the aesthetically disgruntled. Once again, art must imitate life. Sigh.

#30 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Some variants aren't always listed on the wiki (best known source sarna.net), just keep that in mind. The HGNC/P models are from the "Technical Readout: 3039." They are ancient, mothballed variants from 2866.

#31 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostEmperorMyrf, on 03 December 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

That's the point. That's exactly what he was trying to say. DHS isn't always mandatory, meaning both SHS and DHS builds are both viable. Increasing it to 2.0 DHS will make it to where SHS builds simply cannot keep up with the DHS builds.

Bout to get flamed, but I think it was a smart move.

i´ll keep your back :o
additionally, i didn´t come over ONE build with my mechs, that wouldn´t work very well (way better) with DHS... on the other hand, i´m not alphastriking a dozen large lasers, and seriously, i don´t want that to work

View PostThirdrail, on 03 December 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Wait, my first question was serious.

WHY does PIRANHA games use the skinless head of a minotaur for their logo?! The piranha is a fish! A FISH, I TELL YOU!!!

I was kind of hoping that one of the various questions about founders and camo spec would at least get a, "It's coming at some point." type answer, so I could consider the matter resolved and go back to my life as everything other than a spokesmodel for the aesthetically disgruntled. Once again, art must imitate life. Sigh.

as far as i know, piranha stated early on, that founders mechs can´t be reskinned... but since they don´t say that anymore 100%, they might be reconsidering it...

again, as far as i know, the logo has been a taurus skull with a piranha showing in one of the eye holes ... i guess the current logo is a simplified version, dunno ;)

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 03 December 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#32 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

View PostUPnADAM, on 03 December 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

So garth are the 1.4DHS final, thats what i gathered from your response to a question someone asked about 2.0DHS?

Sure, DHS itself are fine.

#33 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostBubba Wilkins, on 03 December 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

Meaning what exactly?

That 2.0 DHS in Engines and 1.4's outside?
or
1.4's Throughout? (which will kill a lot of builds right now)
or
1.8 DHS average throughout? (approximately where we are now depending on Mech/Build)

Given the buzz on the forums and the posts made in the last month, I'd say you haven't actually answered the question at all.

They did.

Engine internal heatsinks are 2,0, every additional heatsink is 1,4.

#34 Kotrin

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

View PostEmperorMyrf, on 03 December 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

DHS isn't always mandatory, meaning both SHS and DHS builds are both viable. Increasing it to 2.0 DHS will make it to where SHS builds simply cannot keep up with the DHS builds.

Bout to get flamed, but I think it was a smart move.

That's just not true. DHS aren't better than SHS when crit space is an issue, something happening on most Assault 'Mechs featuring Big Guns: Gauss, AC/20... And wait for that artillery system! That was already the case in TT and it's the case on MWO online. Of course, 2.0 DHS would have the side-effect of making ER weapons viable, but apparently PGI prefers to stick on the legend of the 3-seconds-cored-Atlas-back (I guess they also override weapon cooldowns on this one too...) and deprive the community of what players want.

"Smart business move", I say... ;)

#35 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for taking the time during the weekend to deal with these questions, Garth.

Appreciate that you may not have been able to squeeze in a reply to my question about the game optimization vis a vis fps deterioration issue. Would it be possible for an update, possibly a Command Chair post about this?

At the very least, please, let us know if the minimum game specifications currently listed are and will continue to be applicable in view of the number of people having fps issues.

#36 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostKotrin, on 03 December 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

That's just not true. DHS aren't better than SHS when crit space is an issue, something happening on most Assault 'Mechs featuring Big Guns: Gauss, AC/20... And wait for that artillery system! That was already the case in TT and it's the case on MWO online. Of course, 2.0 DHS would have the side-effect of making ER weapons viable, but apparently PGI prefers to stick on the legend of the 3-seconds-cored-Atlas-back (I guess they also override weapon cooldowns on this one too...) and deprive the community of what players want.

"Smart business move", I say... ;)

I meant more along the lines of, say, two of the same medium weight chassis. One has SHS and one has DHS. With true 2.0 DHS, their difference in performance is quite high depending on the build. With 1.4 DHS as it is that performance difference is lessened, but it still exists. So there's still a reason to upgrade without the upgrade being an instant win button.

Obviously some assault mechs do not have the luxury of using DHS, but that's nothing new. With the 1.4 scheme, the penalty they get for not having room for DHS is less than it would be with 2.0 (mathematically, since we never tested it) as well.

Everything is closer to balanced while still having a clear upgrade (in most cases).

#37 grayson marik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

hmm i have a question for atd 28:

why do you seem to only answer questions that are either 1. funny, 2. 100% technical or 3. already solved and not even once a question that could be described as 1. technical and undermined by some technical background knowledge, 2. critical in terms of project progression or 3. critical in general about a certein hot discussed topic?

#38 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostPapaKilo, on 03 December 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

View PostViper69, on 03 December 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

More of their adhock house rule BS. I swear these guys should have made a stompy robot game instead of piggy backing the mechwarrior name. Its like I always said, we arent beta testers anymore. The real testers are hidden and we just stress test. I for sure wont be telling my friends to play this game. In fact im taking a hiatus from this **** till they get their collective heads out of each others ***** like a giant human centipede. You goons have gotten all the money you will ever get from me.

PapaKilo, Viper69, please report in for special training to your SGT.
If you have problems with current heat, state it in a manner that is fit for a respected man of the DHB and strive for self-improvement!
Working with the weapons available to you is part of the skills of a soldier. This may sound like L2p, but thats the skill we are working for.
If you got a knife, fight with the knife. If you got a PPC, fight with the PPC.

Edited by Reno Blade, 04 December 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#39 Operant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

Q: Also, when can we expect the Mechs vs. Dinosaurs expansion? (I've been telling everyone 2014.) [Thirdrail]
A: I think they invade in 3060 - I'll see if Paul can update us all later... [Garth]

Q: My question is, who won the pillow fight? Please provide photos showing the carnage around the office. "Screenshot or it didn't happen" so to speak. [Stonefalcon]
A: Everyone loses in war, whether pillow-related or not. [Garth]

Q: Are you going to concentrate on important questions or are you going to answer questions like "what brand of microwave do you own?" [Operant]
A: ... this feels like a trap. Is it a trap? If not, it's very 'meta.' [Garth]

Feels good to be right.

#40 luckyhobbit

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

Couldnt you have asked "When is this game going to run better than a slide-show on dual-core pcs?"

A lot of people cant play this game at the moment since the last couple of patches - fingers crossed for the patch today!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users