"Best ever" thread

232 replies to this topic

#41 TheVirus

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostGaussDragon, on 12 May 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

Hahahaha, did you see the videos that Bleek uploaded of Undisputed playing some team back in MWL? Bleek repeatedly chirps Siku hahaha.

I think I know the video you mean, but it's far too low quality to see what's been said. ;)

#42 GaussDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostTheVirus, on 12 May 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

I think I know the video you mean, but it's far too low quality to see what's been said. ;)

Mostly, but some words can be made out. Now, this game... built-in replay feature would be boss. I'd make it rain replays all over YouTube.

#43 OnLashoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

I asked about live spectating and replay download ability in the "Ask the Devs" thread, they closed the thread a couple ost later, hopefully they pick my question to answer ;)

#44 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostOnLashoc, on 12 May 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

I asked about live spectating and replay download ability in the "Ask the Devs" thread, they closed the thread a couple ost later, hopefully they pick my question to answer ;)

Nice, I know you're one of the more active MW filmmakers. Live spectating and not just shoutcasting but streaming (albeit at a delay) of league matches would be the most amazing thing ever. It'd be great if this thing got popular enough to become an e-sport (a man can dream).

#45 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostGaussDragon, on 12 May 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

It'd be great if this thing got popular enough to become an e-sport (a man can dream).

I think I really need it to.

For my sanity.

You know.

#46 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostOnLashoc, on 12 May 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

I asked about live spectating and replay download ability in the "Ask the Devs" thread, they closed the thread a couple ost later, hopefully they pick my question to answer :)

How are people supposed to exaggerate about their l33t skillz with that in the game. ;)

Edited by SilentWolff, 12 May 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#47 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostGlory, on 12 May 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I think I really need it to.

For my sanity.

You know.

If that were to happen then my sentiment would be this:
Posted Image

View PostSilentWolff, on 12 May 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

How are people supposed to exaggerate about their l33t skillz with that in the game. ;)

We get to ask "vids or it didn't happen"

Also, I amended my list: Added Onnie and BLeEk (my memory is coming back slowly)

#48 Makaveli

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Meh, cool story bra'

Bring em on.

#49 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostMakaveli, on 12 May 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Bring em on.

That right there is the spirit of what this thread is about (that, and nostalgia).

#50 TheCrovax

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

View Postthy, on 12 May 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

I remember half of the mentioned Pilots .
This brings back some great Memories.

317th Atrean Dragoons was quite fun to be a part of.

i would add:
FF/317th Dopesmugglar

Already been taken care of (-> Smuggy). Farrman was good as well. DaFranke was okish but I wouldn't put him in the same league as Edge, FoeHammer etc.

#51 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:55 AM

Smuggy man how could I have forgot lol

Farrman I remember whoppin him and I think Topgun or whoever it was pretty bad 1 vs 2 then suddenly they became boss quick, but I think it was cause they got better wings and became better players themselves.

#52 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostOnLashoc, on 13 May 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

Smuggy man how could I have forgot lol

Farrman I remember whoppin him and I think Topgun or whoever it was pretty bad 1 vs 2 then suddenly they became boss quick, but I think it was cause they got better wings and became better players themselves.

It was interesting to see how talent got developed in MW4. Most of the time it worked like this: A player who became good while in his first clan usually outgrew the skill level of his team mates and jumped ship to one of the established top-tier teams where his team skills would get refined further. We picked up a few people this way. I was always on the lookout in open servers for people with raw skill to see if they had the potential to be turned into good team players. The vast majority of the time time when you saw a really good player in the open that you didn't recognize, it was just someone you knew or knew of that was smurfing to avoid becoming an instant bullseye... I know because I did this all the time :P

#53 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostGaussDragon, on 13 May 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

The vast majority of the time time when you saw a really good player in the open that you didn't recognize, it was just someone you knew or knew of that was smurfing to avoid becoming an instant bullseye... I know because I did this all the time

Ditto; think I smurfed about as often as I played in my tags. Will be interesting not being able to do that as easily in MWO. :rolleyes:

#54 Meth0s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostOnLashoc, on 12 May 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

Yes MiniMe and MigMag winged eachother in CSH. I joined them for a short while but they suffered the same issues FM had with avoiding teams so I left them too.

Mig would generally play anybody. But only if he had the right wings on. He wasn't going to go and play 2 top players, with a mediocre wing-mate. In Draconis Combine, Mig and I (I was Kagemusha in DC) played any 2 other people, and I know we played you tons :rolleyes:

Some teams deserve mention, just because in NR play, sometimes they didn't have total elite individuals, but htey played so damn well together, that they could roll anybody. Thus, {HRR}, Avatar Knights(UTS, War!Online), DCx, Black Bears, Jade Falcon (NBT-4, early to mid NBT:M), Woilf Clan (NBT4, early to mid NBT:M), FURY & IHx (yeah so kill me if I nominate my own teams), CSJ (UTS, War!Online [as DSx], & early NBT:M), Clan Wolf (UTS), Clan Diamond Shark (early to late NBT:4 & M), and Red Legion (early NBT:M).

#55 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Amazing you forget to mention CSA and CCC. Both had close to 80 percent win percentage in NBT mercs and HC.

As far as who is the best of the best, no comment.

Edited by Renegade Mitchell, 14 May 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#56 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostRenegade Mitchell, on 14 May 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

As far as who is the best of the best, no comment.

Well that's just too hard to say, anyway, you know? We can epeen and conjecture all we like but the truth is the game changed and evolved so many times that it's just too hard to say. The hypothetical top 10 one year was often very different the next year. And that doesn't take away from the value of making it to the peak at some point other.

If you ask me, there is no such thing as the #1 best-MW4-player-ever, and as I said maybe not even the best-10-ever because the game changed a bunch, and the popular game styles were quite different. I don't think anyone ever knew or ever will know who was the best best bestest best biggest epeen.

(Of course there are people who think they were #1, period. :rolleyes: This last section may or may not include me.)

Edited by Glory, 14 May 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#57 Meth0s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostRenegade Mitchell, on 14 May 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Amazing you forget to mention CSA and CCC. Both had close to 80 percent win percentage in NBT mercs and HC. As far as who is the best of the best, no comment.

Good teams for sure! I can't list them as one of the best though, because I barely played against them. As IHx, we played against CSA in the battle of tukayyid, and had a couple other drops against them. Barely any with CCC I think. It's been a long time man. But the time zone issues sometimes didn't work out. But I know the drops against CSA for the right to fight at the Tukayyid trials was one of the most epic battles I got to participate in. I listed two teams that I didn't get to play with/agianst much, but that was purely based on basically league-wide reputation.

#58 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostMethosFurey, on 14 May 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

FURY & IHx (yeah so kill me if I nominate my own teams)

No problem there, we all already have lol. Like I said to that other guy on page 1, nothing wrong with being real about it. A lot of the best players played with each other because they naturally like playing with other good players. The recurrence of these elite entourages was a result of each good player implicitly recognizing the skill of others by choosing to wing with them.

#59 Purgatory22

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostGaussDragon, on 11 May 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

I remember a player by the name of Danielle in MWO who was a fairly competitive player. And if I recall (though it was before my time and I was never in CSJ) there was a female in CSJ.

lol oh Danielle... If she is the same one I am thinking of man if only looks could kill she'd always be #1... could be different one though, no clue what happened to her.

Most the names I would put have already been added so I will go with some clans. KaoS, BDE, HFH, AC, Magnus, (there are a couple more I just can't recall and with MWL being down....)just off the top of my head. There were a bunch of teams that had 5 really good pilots but had 10 really bad pilots so they would be a challenge for one match and then the 2nd and 3rd if it got to that were total slaughters. Not to mention smurfing was pretty much common thing for everyclan during the end of the MWL glory days.

edit- remembered a couple mroe, orginal TUA, US, orginal Roving Guns

Edited by Shinobi22, 14 May 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#60 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostShinobi22, on 14 May 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

lol oh Danielle... If she is the same one I am thinking of man if only looks could kill she'd always be #1... could be different one though, no clue what happened to her.

We're taking about the same one alright. She was definitely an outlier.

View PostShinobi22, on 14 May 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Not to mention smurfing was pretty much common thing for everyclan during the end of the MWL glory days.

Haha nah man, it was a common thing from day 1. Some of the other elite units might be surprised to find out (if they didn't already know) which of their members smurfed for HFH on such a regular basis that they were HFH in everything but name only. Smurfing was against the rules but it was so prevalent that no one really contested it because they were was no way to tell. The fact that MWL skunked teams to the bottom of ladder for insufficient players at match time was rather punitive because teams suffering player shortages was a common thing. Even units with large memberships (like SIN) had shortages sometimes so many of us justified the smurfing that way. I smurfed for SIN tons of times when they were short for guys but clumsily got caught one time when SIN was playing against DS and (I don't know what happened) when I reconnected for the second game, I no longer was using some other SIN member's name, but joined a password-protected match as {HFH}GaussDragon... haha, oops.

Edited by GaussDragon, 14 May 2012 - 11:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users