Thinking Of Long Range Weapons? Don't Do It!

69 replies to this topic

#61 TheTrap

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

View PostRedmond Spiderhammer, on 05 December 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

sad but true... I do reasonably well playing from the 'standard' builds. When I go out with something a little different I usually end up having more fun but I am clearly less effective and thus a hindrance to my team

Finally ! Someone who has grey matter up there !

There's trolololol value in running stupid (I'm sorry, viable in 1% of combat scenarios) builds such as 5 erppc awesome etc. Or even mg/flamers which currently have no place in the game unless you intend, to put it bluntly, on being a hindrance to the team. You may be getting kicks but if it's a close fight and you end up with less contribution than usual and the team loses, you're spoiling the fun of 7 other people.

Especially when deviating too much.

For the sake of mwo's prosperity, I wish weapon hardpoint sizes, a pre-launch lobby (akin to LoL's) to weed out trololol builds/coordinate, balance within weapons and less drastic changes/additions barring clan tech be implemented. (wow, long sentence)

It's currently a no-brainer to take certain weapons over others and that really needs to change.

#62 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostSir Vance Alot, on 05 December 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

Funny, PPC's and Missles were popular in the earlier MW's because it was easier to shred mechs with them... so what if MWO changes the MechWarrior you know??... maybe that's what it's going to take to make it a successful franchise, which the other MW's cannot legitimately claim with the exception of a few earlier examples. I'm not saying use them, i'm just asking you to keep an open mind, why does it have to be the same thing every time? change is good.

i wouldn't denigh for a moment the privalidge of mechs running with ac20's and many medium lasers they're the standard builds for the hunchback and nova/blackhawk respectavily. sure change is good but killing options is not. mechwarrior is supposed to offer diversity and choice and such designs like stalkers and awesomes should have there place on the field TOGETHER. i feel the currant state of play means everyone should do the same thing and brawl. that's not mechwarrior and masakari's/warhawks, madcats will suffer because nothing of the originals will remain, everyone will just fit srms autocannons because that's where the action is. i'm glad to see some people still finding long range weapons viable like gauss and ppc's but you only have to go into matches to find cannons and laser boats reign over the amount of people willing to risk and skill up on making these longrange weapons viable. change isn't always for the better and for mechwarrior this ecm promotion for huddling and brawls is like cuting the nose off to spite it's face.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 06 December 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#63 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

@GalaxyBluestar: Seems like what you're saying is going right over a lot of people's head. I wonder how many of these "adaptable" types actually grew up in the battletech/mechwarrior culture. It is as if some of you have forgotten what this game is advertised as, a freaking mechwarrior game! You're in a steel walking tank that fires lasers and projectiles..., oh, and missiles too. I hate to say this; but if you were complaining before about too many missiles, you may be playing the wrong game. It's kind of a big part of the whole franchise. I can only speak from my experience in pug games. They result in one two ways: a stealthy ninja base rush, where the teams never sees the enemy, or everyone rushing to the middle of the map and brawl it out with mostly lasers. It looks like a bad reenactment of the Battle of Hoth. ECM in its current state is ruining the game.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 14 December 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#64 Nonsense

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

I still use missiles along with ACs and Lasers. I do 5-900 damage during a good round no matter which weapons I use. I've never loaded up a mech with LRMs and not used them. The only time I've put weapons on my mech that were useless has been the occasional light vs. light battles where the enemy has more ECM and I can't use streaks.

They've said they're going to add more counters to ECM. This will only add to the game. People keep crying about "the current state of ECM", but do they realize there will be a patch Tuesday? Relax.

#65 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

View PostMrPenguin, on 04 December 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

ECM don't block AC and Gauss shells.

yeah lag shield does that for you

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 14 December 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

@GalaxyBluestar: Seems like what you're saying is going right over a lot of people's head. I wonder how many of these "adaptable" types actually grew up in the battletech/mechwarrior culture. It is as if some of you have forgotten what this game is advertised as, a freaking mechwarrior game! You're in a steel walking tank that fires lasers and projectiles..., oh, and missiles too. I hate to say this; but if you were complaining before about too many missiles, you may be playing the wrong game. It's kind of a big part of the whole franchise. I can only speak from my experience in pug games. They result in one two ways: a stealthy ninja base rush, where the teams never sees the enemy, or everyone rushing to the middle of the map and brawl it out with mostly lasers. It looks like a bad reenactment of the Battle of Hoth. ECM in its current state is ruining the game.

this

#66 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 14 December 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

yeah lag shield does that for you

this

yeah i said mabey an old b*&&*^ like me couldn't hack it, so i'm not alone then...

View PostNonsense, on 14 December 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

I still use missiles along with ACs and Lasers. I do 5-900 damage during a good round no matter which weapons I use. I've never loaded up a mech with LRMs and not used them. The only time I've put weapons on my mech that were useless has been the occasional light vs. light battles where the enemy has more ECM and I can't use streaks.

They've said they're going to add more counters to ECM. This will only add to the game. People keep crying about "the current state of ECM", but do they realize there will be a patch Tuesday? Relax.

don't forget that i started this on dec 4 hell my last reply to this thread was really dec 6. that was ages ago! i'm just like you waiting for the patch B)

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 14 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#67 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 04 December 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

now with the flood of ecm atlas stompings and lights helping out close quaters battles have become a must. that's great considering the lag servers aren't fixed so lrms and anything else used at range have become more redundant than ever. if you suffered or suffer slideshow FPS during a tangle with 3 mechs running around you at close range, then step away from the game sir... step well away.

so either you become a medium laser boat, gear up on close range balistics or you'll find yourself a sitting duck whilst laser and ac10 etc dance around you whilst your long range lasers missles etc can do nothing in the midst of been shaken to bits and not being able to redlight anything. ecm is encourageing CQ battles more than ever and it's going to kill the diversity of mechs and tactics we see on the battle field. The biggest shame ever.

it may be a whingers post but seriously are we going to see mech warrior making lrms redundant and ppcs a joke? the icons that made the madcat and awesome the famed mechs they are... until today. COME ON! mechwarrior is unique for it's radar based gameplay, i'd never engauge a mech without seeing what it is or how many we're coming my way, that's how you'd be ambushed and ganged up on like heading into suicide lane. it was bad enough before with redlight pings 2o times a second but now, many chassis varients are becoming unplayable thanks to ecm.

so i'll keep playing with a spare moment or two, but the commando raven atlas stomping parties are going to get dull VERY quickly.

It all ready has limited the mechs you see in game.

#68 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostBeo Vulf, on 14 December 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

It all ready has limited the mechs you see in game.

what do you mean "it already has" i made this dec4 a week or so ago i should just lock this thread it's over nothing to see here we know already etc.

#69 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostMrPenguin, on 05 December 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

It kills an atlas in 2-3 shots.
It may be a glass cannon, but its one that can completely kill you before you notice it.

It's a little extream for my taste. But, it works. He can get away with it since subtlety is part of being a good sniper. Of cource it also has the same weaknesses any sniper build has.

Edited by Eddrick, 19 January 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#70 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

I couldn't care the slightest of a F*** how great a DD-C Atlas with ECM, or a Raven 3L, or how small and brawler orientated these maps are.

I prefer to play as a long range sniper. That is what I do, regardless if there is a blatantly better way of killing the enemy mechs in these shoebox of a map set we have. I'd rather die playing the way I enjoy playing than win in a FoTM super brawler, missile immune atlas or 6xSRM6 Catapult, regardless of how much easier they are to play in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users