When Are We Gonna Get A Coolant Flush Module

3037 replies to this topic

#41 Dukov Nook

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

But this could work if as the coolant get's flushed, the ability for the water cooling system get's reduced. Less fluid in the system = faster heat buildup. Flush the system fully, and your heat will just return more rapidly.

That mechanic could make it a viable system.

#42 Jeff K Notagoon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostParticle Man, on 06 December 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

it is like the bible where they ignore the parts that they dont like (10 second turns) but fight to the death about things that they do (DHS)

I was refering to the grognards not PGI. Read the original question it was "why is everyone against it" not "why is PGI against it"

Edited by Jeff K Notagoon, 06 December 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#43 Sikosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLake Ozark, Mo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostSevaradan, on 05 December 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

this, its unnecessary and will just encourage lazy mech design and poor piloting.

hahahahahahaah

hahahahaahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

not like 90% of the LACK of game design and implementation already doesn't encourage cheese*#%^ builds and no collision encourages RAMBO light pilots eh? coolant flush! theres the game breaker ><

They've strayed so far from table top conventions without justification and a couple times in the face of "We'll NEVER do X" to 1. ever rule anything out 2. underestimate the ability of stupid to punish.

#44 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostAidan Malchor, on 05 December 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

So as the title says we should get a coolant flush module. It would be so awesome!

Discuss.

Heat management is an integral part of the game. The closest thing you might get is a coolant pod (1 time use, takes up a bit of space), but you'll find in the long run you'll do better if you build more heat efficient rigs rather than having the mindset of "Let's see if I can get 7 large lasers on this build!"

MWO isn't like a normal FPS; you're not going to kill fresh enemies in 3 seconds from when you engage them. It's the thinking man's game; just the way we like it. ;)

#45 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 06 December 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Heat management is an integral part of the game. The closest thing you might get is a coolant pod (1 time use, takes up a bit of space), but you'll find in the long run you'll do better if you build more heat efficient rigs rather than having the mindset of "Let's see if I can get 7 large lasers on this build!"

MWO isn't like a normal FPS; you're not going to kill fresh enemies in 3 seconds from when you engage them. It's the thinking man's game; just the way we like it. ;)

I do like the game without the one time coolant flush bar. It adds more thinking before firing. In the past games you could go overboard on the weapons and get 2-3 OP alpha strikes off and use the coolant to keep from shutting down.

#46 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostStone Wall, on 06 December 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

I do like the game without the one time coolant flush bar. It adds more thinking before firing. In the past games you could go overboard on the weapons and get 2-3 OP alpha strikes off and use the coolant to keep from shutting down.

Not to mention the flushing caused a cloud of noxious amnesia gas to be emitted from your Mech's butt.

B*tchin Betty: It's NOT amnesia gas!

Well it SURE is NOXIOUS, you GOTTA gimme THAT!

#47 Sevaradan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'll agree ONLY if the outflow for the coolant is on the bottom of the my atlas's rear center torso.

#48 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

While I am not happy with the current balance, which is mostly the result of the heat system, I do not think that coolant flush were ever a good idea.

They are a way to circumvent the heat system and encourage people using builds that are too hot to be practical, or at least running a careless play style, because they always have their emergency parachute coolant flush.

Heat management in MW:O should involve knowing and accepting the risks of delivering alpha strikes and firing rapidly. You start optimize in the mech lab for a reasonably level of "hotness", to have enough burst damage to be able to outdamage your enemies in the short run, but enough heat capacity and dissipation to last long enough that you can decide an engagement befre you are shut down. Finding the right spot is a matter of your intended play style. ANd then you play the mech and know the capabilities of your mech and try to force the enemy to fight under your terms - and any mistake you make will hurt, it will not be compensated by a cheap way out like a coolant flush.

#49 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

...guess I was wrong.

Edited by WolvesX, 04 March 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#50 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

WOW! Talk about crying wolf. ECM is fine, just cause it takes away your super easy mode doesn't make it OP.

You want OP, a few mechs sitting back 800 meters making heavy mechs disintegrate in less then 30 seconds.

Before they can do anything about ECM they will have to fix LRM boats and streakcats. Then they can work on making ECM more TT like.

#51 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

this is a new and interesting topic, thank you for creating this thread.

#52 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

View Postsuperteds, on 28 December 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

No problem. Doing to right thing is the least I can do.

#53 Virisken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

View Postsuperteds, on 28 December 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

at least it is written by a ecm-user..and he is right.
cause mechs with ecm are superior to any mech without ecm, a lot of mechs are getting a lot of dust on their armor in the mecbay.
in 8o8 you cant even dream about winning without a big bunch of ecm-mechs.
same is true for random games, the team with (the most) ecm is going to win.

and lag-shield/ecm raven ist the most annoying thing in mwo.

but as you can read here.. paper will insinst, that it is fine, as long everybody else is a rock.

#54 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

L2P, get on TS3, get a second job, Devs got to eat too.

#55 Cebi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

Yep, pretty much. I have a Raven 3L in my garage but I refuse to play it until both ECM and netcode are sorted. Right now, playing it would be cheating, in my mind.

I can't understand why PGI thought it was a good idea to combine 3 types of ECM into one low weight uber device. I hope there is more to this decision (such as testing the 3 as a combined device temporarily) or I fear that my trust in this dev team has been misplaced.

#56 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

Not being able to hit a Light with other weapons then missiles is still a netcode issue and in case of the Raven maybe hitboxes, not of ECM. Plus there are ways to hit anyway. Swarms of standart SRM for example have a good chance of hitting a lagshieldet Light.

I got no ECM mech. It doesn't matter in PUGs, at least for me.

Edited by Duvanor, 28 December 2012 - 05:17 AM.

#57 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

View PostAlexWildeagle, on 28 December 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

You want OP, a few mechs sitting back 800 meters making heavy mechs disintegrate in less then 30 seconds.

http://mwomercs.com/...ic/87482-a-lot/

#58 Sayyid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

ECM needs to be in game it just needs to be put in correctly. I have all but quit playing MWO because of the half-assed nature of the development implementation. ECM should have a max jamming range of 180m. Anything that is in that 180m or has LOS that passes through that 180m should not be able to lock on to anything. But right now you CANT lock on to them if they are anything past 100m, which is bull$h!t.

Its so bad now I can tell you that if you DONT run ECM your just a target so you have more non-Battletech style gameplay that is ruining the Franchise and destroying the image of the game. Welp back to SWG-EMU and PS2, I will check it out again after the next signifigant patch.

#59 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostSayyid, on 28 December 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

ECM needs to be in game it just needs to be put in correctly. I have all but quit playing MWO because of the half-assed nature of the development implementation. ECM should have a max jamming range of 180m. Anything that is in that 180m or has LOS that passes through that 180m should not be able to lock on to anything. But right now you CANT lock on to them if they are anything past 100m, which is bull$h!t.

Its so bad now I can tell you that if youDONT run ECM your just a target so you have more non-Battletech style gameplay that is ruining the Franchise and destroying the image of the game. Welp back to SWG-EMU and PS2, I will check it out again after the next signifigant patch.

That is the point. ECM is mandatory.

Why is 8v8 a 8ECM v 8ECM if its NOT OP?

#60 Phate421

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I was really into this game. I play a few F2P games and I play them for a while to see how much longevity they have before I drop cash. I was in. 3-4 hours A night. I joined a clan, we practice and are planning for Community Warfare. I was about to buy some credits to play with when the ECM patch hit.....

Now I just show up for practice twice a week. I've spent no real money on this game. I don't LRM or SSRM boat. A 1.5 ton piece of equipment should not be able to make ANY weapon completely obsolete. It should not render you and your teammates invisible (yes yes on radar). If you don't have one you're hurting your team. It's the single most powerful thing in the game and I hate it.

I'm really hoping they make some changes to it. Really. I like this game but I don't enjoy it because of this one thing...yes if they don't change it you can have my stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users