3037 replies to this topic

#61 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

ECM is OP, but which piece of equipment isn't?
MGs, flamers and NARC maybe...

:lol: :ph34r:

#62 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

ECM is overpowered, It was never intended to work like this dumb PGI version

Edited by r4plez, 28 December 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#63 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Man... you are jumping the schedule.

Two weeks from now is "ECM is OP/NO IT'S NOT" week, we are supposed to be bitching about LRMS this week and HAX next week. Stay on schedule otherwise we can't possibly get through all of the QQ threads that have to be made and duplicated in order to truly run things on the forum into the ground.

If you misplaced your schedule just pm me i'll send you the official "XXX HAS RUINED THE GAME, QQ schedule for 2013". The way I see it if we have to complain about everything Ad nauseum we might as well do it efficiently.

Edited by Agent of Change, 28 December 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#64 Jalak Bali

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

What's cute is that you thought without ECM, a PUG group would be more organized.

The only thing ECM does to a PUG group is making LRMs and Streaks, the easiest weapons in the game, useless. Virtually all complains about ECM are from people who used those a lot before. I'm pretty sure PGI could data mine that.

#65 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Sorry, I just don't agree. So long as you maintain good communications and formations, ECM is certainly a useful tool, but it's not the only tool in the book. One thing I've noted is that ECM pilots often overestimate it's power, they think they're invisible all the time, but...they aren't.

Now a good team is going to use ECM lights to blind it's opponeent as they sneak up on them, but one strategy to neagate that is to retreat while you kill some of those lights that are typically running arround amongst you.

Most teams are going to have ECM in at least one of their mechs, but iit's only in PREM8's thate they tend to go overboard with a majority.

Useful, certainly, but not the only useful thing. I'd be fine with ECM remaining as it is, I just want other tools in the game that can counter them. ESPECIALLY NARC, and NARC with more ammo types (eg mines, sensors, etc)

Seismic sensors might also make their way into the game at some point, which would provide a soft counter (at least at close ranges I suppose).

It's easy to say "this or that has ruined the game" but we aren't seeing the whole picture. Jenners, SSRM's, LRMs, and Gaussapults also ruined the game. ECM is just the flavor of the season.

Don't get me wrong, I agree ECM is powerful, I want to see more counters, but I don't want to see it nerfed to BAP style *meh*

This game needs some strong points, constantly nerfing things leads to a game that doesn't speak for itself.

So again. Don't NERF ECM, just provide some interesting counters that lead to more tactical fun.

#66 Alex Reed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Free Worlds League

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 28 December 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

ECM is more then a hard counter to LRMs and Steaks.

/ECM rant

What do you have against Steaks? Thank goodness ECM does not counter sweet tea or I would drop this game like a bad habit! ;-)

NOTE: No harm intended, Wolves ... As an English teacher, I just love it when one letter can change everything. :-) And, yes, I did notice the other faux pas in the same sentence, but I am off duty today. ;-)

#67 Alex Reed

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

On a more serious note, I was in a match on Frozen City last night lobbing my LRMs over the downed dropship. My wingman and I were just lobbing away when our rear armor began running off our back torsos in molten rivers of doom.

I turned and, much to my dismay, found an Awesome, a Catapult, and an ECM Raven had crept up to our back door and cored us.

As my mech fell to the ground, all I could think about was how extremely well-played that push around our flank was and began to think about how it was achieved.

ECM is a game-changer but not a game wrecker. The extension of the TAG laser range has gone a long way towards fixing the ECM gameplay imbalance. It makes situational awareness and communication that much more important. I trust the developers to tweak as necessary and I believe the raw data from this Christmas Break will go a long ways towards determining the future of the ECM issue in MWO.

Now, if I could just get some side mirrors to counteract the neck-brace torso twist inability of my Stalker, I would be fine. ;-)

Edited by Alex Reed, 28 December 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#68 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostAlex Reed, on 28 December 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

Now, if I could just get some side mirrors to counteract the neck-brace torso twist inability of my Stalker, I would be fine. ;-)

I find the best "work around" for this to stomp in semi circles and turn back and forth 30-40 degrees while occasional doing a quick full back and forth torso twist, like a nervous Emu.

#69 VonFranz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Make ECM work as it does in tabletop. It reduces the range the unit can be detected at by about half and negates BAP rather than blacking the unit out completely, and it negates the effects of artemis and NARC. That's it, that's all it does.

Meanwhile BAP should detect units hidden by cover if within 120m.

#70 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Since the alternative to ECM is LRM boats and streak cats, thanks, I'll keep the ECM.

People seem to have short memories.

Sure, ECM can use some fine tuning. It even may be a good idea to let more mechs equip it as well. We will see what the next patches will bring. Until then I'll be playing my Hunchback and be having fun.

#71 Alex Reed

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 28 December 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

I find the best work around for this to stomp in semi circles and turn back and forth 30-40 degrees while occasional doing a quick full back and forth torso twist, like a nervous Emu.

That is exactly what I do as I not so calmly request customer assistance on my posterior over the comm channel. :lol:

Edited by Alex Reed, 28 December 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#72 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostAlex Reed, on 28 December 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

That is exactly what I do as I not so calmly request customer assistance on my posterior over the comm channel. :lol:

yup, nothing quite so common as my cry of "Something is eating my rear armor..... HELP getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!" :ph34r:

#73 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 28 December 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

That is the point. ECM is mandatory.

Why is 8v8 a 8ECM v 8ECM if its NOT OP?

This is not entirely true.

Having 2-3 ECM is mandatory, period, for 8v8 right now.

Having 8 ECM mechs is kind of overkill, and can really screw you against a team that isn't at all relying on Streaks and LRM's.

Streaks + ECM are a bit OP - if you don't have your own Streak + ECM mech to counter it, or if they have more ECM in the area than you do and nullify your streaks while theirs can work. Seriously, Raven duels are hilarious, but if you are jammed and they aren't, you are @#$%ed.

#74 Mister Haha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 28 December 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

That is the point. ECM is mandatory.

No it isn't.

#75 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostAlexWildeagle, on 28 December 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

WOW! Talk about crying wolf. ECM is fine, just cause it takes away your super easy mode doesn't make it OP.

I find this statement ironic...

#76 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Now, did ECM actually help nearby friendly mechs in TT the way it does in MWO? I don't recall that.

I do think we need to break it up into a few mods or something. Dunno.

I overall like what ECM has done to the strategy of the game, but I hate that it forces people into specific mechs as you have to have it.

Honestly, I'm all for them opening up ECM to all mechs, at least for now, just so people can still "play what they want" while also granting teams the ECM coverage they need.

#77 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostShismar, on 28 December 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Since the alternative to ECM is LRM boats and streak cats, thanks, I'll keep the ECM.

People seem to have short memories.

Sure, ECM can use some fine tuning. It even may be a good idea to let more mechs equip it as well. We will see what the next patches will bring. Until then I'll be playing my Hunchback and be having fun.

LRMs and streak boats were easier to deal with. I never owned a steak boat... they were too easy to kill... ECM is just not a fun feature.

View PostKraven Kor, on 28 December 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Now, did ECM actually help nearby friendly mechs in TT the way it does in MWO? I don't recall that.

I overall like what ECM has done to the strategy of the game, but I hate that it forces people into specific mechs as you have to have it.

Honestly, I'm all for them opening up ECM to all mechs, at least for now, just so people can still "play what they want" while also granting teams the ECM coverage they need.

Worst Idea ever.... sorry.

#78 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostKraven Kor, on 28 December 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

I would like to see ECM be only useable by mechs with no missile hardpoints.

#79 Carnivoris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

ECM makes Jenners useless. To pilot a Jenner in today's game, you have to be attached at the hip with an ECM raven. What if you don't have one on your team? What if that's not the mech people want to play today? I'm seeing a lot of games of nothing but mediums, heavies, and assaults (well, a few, anyway). If I go in my Jenner, I'm destroyed by ravens and commandos that my streaks can't hit and my slasers just don't do enough damage to. I really enjoyed playing that Jenner. The ONLY other mech I have right now that I enjoy piloting is my Stalker and it's not fun for me to play the SAME mech EVERY game. But, I have to if I want to actually play the game and not just get destroyed by either LRMs or ECM lights.

I'm stuck either piloting a mech I'm tired of piloting, a giant bullseye, or a trial mech because it takes so damn long to earn enough cbills for a better mech. So, I'm not playing as much anymore. I'm damn sure not spending money. If PGI is just going to make massive changes to the game like this without regard for balance, I'm not going to fund them. Simple as that.

When this patch first came out, I thought "HEY! Cool X-mas present from PGI! A GOOD PATCH FOR ONCE!" Well, I was wrong. It's yet another patch that breaks the game and I'm losing interest in MWO. They say they have internal testers. I think they need new ones.

#80 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Another one of these? Sigh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users