3037 replies to this topic

#81 Codejack

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostShismar, on 28 December 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Since the alternative to ECM is LRM boats and streak cats, thanks, I'll keep the ECM.

And here is the classic false dichotomy:

1) This is not an either/or situation; the game should have BOTH.
2) Both ECM and missiles need changes; IMO, and apparently, the opinion of the VAST majority of players, ECM is a bigger problem than missileboats ever were.

Or, when did anyone say at the beginning of a round, "Oh crap, we don't have any streakcats, we might as well just power down now," or something to that effect?

Streaks were dangerous to mediocre pilots of small, lightly-armored mechs, and that's about it. ECM is fatal to missile-boats and deadly to everything else.

#82 Karl Split

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

ECM is "unbalanced" atm. Hopefully they'll do another balance round some point, but there are a lot of things that need fixing yet.

Being in a catapult A1 with lrm's and streams and being chased by a lone raven who turns off his ecm every so often when he is behind you so you can get a lock is priceless it takes ages to walk off the map on caustic man i wish there was an eject button ><

#83 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

I played around 20 matches today, all solo.. no group.

Yeah, ECM sucks. At the start of every match I asked if there were any premades, just for grins. It's a 50/50 split essentially on being matched up with premades. Out of those 10 or so times there were premades, only twice were they on my team and we steamrolled thanks to ECM. Who knows if there were more that didn't admit it, but I have a feeling there were.

MM is broken and ECM ******* sucks... not because it's OP.. but because people abuse the hell out of it with sheer numbers.

Nerf ECM NAO PL0X!

#84 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Litte update from my side:

Me and my mates are currently playing 4 Atlas DDC for about 4 hours now. Didn't lost one match...

EDIT: Ye, super lame ofc... but for real, its the best tactic right now imo.

Edited by WolvesX, 28 December 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#85 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Why aren't more people just going Thermal/ER laser to counter ECM, with AMS vs the missile boats?

#86 Razorfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 28 December 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

I was a big fan of ECM in the beginning as many of my clan mates where.

- Brings more strategy into the game.
- More tactic options.
- Balances stuff out.
- etc....

BUT

Fact is, I got an ECM Commando (for PUG trololol) now, an ECM Raven (for anything), an ECM Atlas (for anything).

These mech are simply the best in my whole hangar now. I got 4 Awesomes, 3 Hunchbacks (sold one), 1 Dragon, 1 Centurion (Sold 2), 1 Atlas (Sold 2), 1 Raven (Sold 2)... and I feel that I'm somekind of trolling / insulting my own intellicent if I play an other mech but the Raven3L or the AtlasDDC, because they are just so redic. OP.

YES

OP!

ECM is more then a hard counter to LRMs and Steaks. The lack of a fast way to communicate with randoms means, you can't ******** tell them where the enemy is and what he is planning to do.

Lagshield makes it even worse, especially with the 3L, my masterd 3L runs 143 KPH and I got a ping of 190.

You CAN'T hit me. You just can't!

As long as I don't do piloting errors, you just can't hit me.

TAG can't counter ECM. ECM is the counter to ECM. ECM does narrow your choise of viable mechs.

You know, in the days before ECM I considered myself a MEDIUM pilot. The first Master I got was with Hunchback, the sec with Cent, but since ECM is so OP, its not hard to play other mech... its just not making ANY sence.

Nerf it.

Remove it.

Cut ECM out of the game.

/ECM rant

This is fact.

#87 LoneUnknown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostJSparrowist, on 28 December 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

MM is broken and ECM ******* sucks... not because it's OP.. but because people abuse the hell out of it with sheer numbers.

ECM is stupidly overpowered matchmaker fail or not.

#88 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 28 December 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

That is the point. ECM is mandatory.

Why is 8v8 a 8ECM v 8ECM if its NOT OP?

My clan rarely runs more than 4ECM mechs in our 8 man and wins better than 80% of our matches. ECM is a bit too strong right now, but it is not the OMG OP! item that some here are making it out to be. Only light mechs have a prohibitively hard time functioning without it in the current environment, but that is as much a function of LRM's and streaks still being a bit too good as it is ECM being too strong. In 8v8 it's not hard to win against groups with more ECM, just have to use the kind of position discipline you used back when artemis was ridiculously OP, and for gods sake don't get caught in the open by an LRM stalker.

#89 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

You mean only half your team uses it? Totally not a mission essential piece of equipment if only 50% is using it.

#90 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostAlexWildeagle, on 28 December 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

WOW! Talk about crying wolf. ECM is fine, just cause it takes away your super easy mode doesn't make it OP.

You want OP, a few mechs sitting back 800 meters making heavy mechs disintegrate in less then 30 seconds.

Before they can do anything about ECM they will have to fix LRM boats and streakcats. Then they can work on making ECM more TT like.

I have been saying much the same for a while now.

I feel ECM gives way to much for what is needed to use it.1.5 tons and 2 criticals and occationaly engage a pair of braincells to determine if disrupt or counter mode is needed at that time.

Compare that to NARC that requires 3 criticals 4 tons and needs to be aimed at a target that must also be hit and after all that NARC is still garbage because it does not transmit long enough to be all that helpful.

ECM does need to be toned down mainly on account of bringing an already steep learning curve for new users up to a 90 degree cliff.I know how ECM works and how to fight on an ECM heavy battlefield but I have also been in MWo since June 2012.

But before we go and even think of tweaking ECM we must address LRMs and particularly streaks.

Way back when it was determined that standard table top armor values made the time to kill way to short.As a result armor values were doubled.With this change a weapon like a gauss rifle that in the table top game striped a ton's worth of armor off with each hit now only hit half as hard.So now we have longer fights because most weapons dish out half the damage they do in a table top game.Except for SRMs/Streaks and LRMs. SRMs/Streaks deal 125% of table top damage values or...25% more effective damage output over non adjusted weapons.LRMs are even more potent with 70% damage output over non adjusted weapons.

In the case of streaks the online game performance is so far out of line with the table top performance that the streaks had become out of control before ECM.

So before ECM is altered LRMs and Streaks must also be altered.

#91 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I told you people would eventually come around, and they are in droves against this stupid device. Well said Wolf. Hopefully Piranha eventually listens to the likes of us and decides to properly balance this game. ECM either needs a nice firm nerfboot(But with ability to slot on more than just 4 variants) or the BAP should be buffed up as a counter so you could take that as an alternative. As it stands now though, the ECM variants are best in the game and definitely far better than the others in their roaster. There's no benefit to playing a 2X or 4X Raven anymore. Forget any Commando without ECM. The K Atlas especially is garbage now, all this thanks to this poor game design. We've sat through this BS all month. Do something about this next patch already!

Edited by Bluten, 28 December 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#92 PiemasterXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 556 posts
  • LocationThe deep-south, cookin' Moonshine.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

ECM doesn't kill people, people kill people!

#93 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostRazorfish, on 28 December 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

This is fact.

no. Its an opinion. Please learn the difference.

#94 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostPiemasterXL, on 28 December 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

ECM doesn't kill people, people kill people!

"Toasters don't toast toast, toast toasts toast!"

#95 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Funny, I killed an ECM Raven, Commando and Cicada in a SRM6 and mlas Stalker today in a single match. Also did plenty of damage with tag and LRMs in my LRM Stalker. ECM ain't got nothing on skills and I very rarely come across a lag shielded light, not once in 40 matches or so today.

#96 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostJetfire, on 28 December 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

Funny, I killed an ECM Raven, Commando and Cicada in a SRM6 and mlas Stalker today in a single match. Also did plenty of damage with tag and LRMs in my LRM Stalker. ECM ain't got nothing on skills and I very rarely come across a lag shielded light, not once in 40 matches or so today.

Seems legit.

Edited by Budor, 28 December 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#97 PiemasterXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 556 posts
  • LocationThe deep-south, cookin' Moonshine.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Guys I have a dark secret to tell you....

ECM was entirely my idea.

#98 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostPiemasterXL, on 28 December 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

You go to hell...you go to hell and you die!

#99 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

View PostPiemasterXL, on 28 December 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

Ban this guy!!

;)

#100 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Waaaaaaaaaah, I don't want this because of reasons.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users