Ask The Devs 28!

196 replies to this topic

#21 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I have several questions that I would not mind receiving answers to:

1) Has there been any thoughts by you guys to help boost FF, to make it an upgrade, instead of a next step upgrade to ES? Ferro-Fibrous Revisioned

2) Has there been any thoughts on making NARC different from TAG? Maybe make it provide a non-LoS lock for a good duration (60s?) but allow PPCs to knock them off with the up coming PPC EMP effects and ECM?

3) Are 8man (4 and 12 also, once we get those map sizes) groups EVER going to be allowed to choose other 8man groups to fight against so that matches can be set up in advance, therefore the community can get involved in orchestrating tournaments/matches? This is most likely the number one way to build and engage the community right here!

4) Another question about MM, I know I saw a post about the thoughts of balancing the matches by tonnage, but was mentioned that ELO was going to be brought in for balancing. Was this statement in agreement that tonnage + some skill rating (ELO or otherwise) going to be used in the future for creation of random teams joining into the random queue of games? Will this also lead to the need of a lobby of some type for pre-game orginization before the match begins?

5) Has there been any talks about revamping the Pilot Skill tree to make it more choice oriented than the current system? Maybe make the current Pilot Skill account specific that apply to all the mechs that the play uses (basically MechWarrior experience) and have each chassis/variant have a group of their own. Then only allow X amount of EXP to be used in your Pilot tree and Mech tree or reuse the current Module system by slotted the EXP skills bought into each Mech/MechWarrior?

6) Are the screens inside each cockpit going to be customizable in the future? (Options > Screen Setup > Screen 1 = Ammo, Screen 2 = Heatsinks, Screen 3 = Damage Indicators, Screen 4 = ..., ...) Along with this, is there a way to disable the HUD now or in the future?

7) WIth the community still making a push for true DHS and PGI saying that this creates an imbalance in the heat system, is there any compromise in mind to at least make each DHS the same across inside/outside the engine?

Thanks in advanced if any of my questions where picked among the several hundered going to be asked here.

Edited by Zyllos, 09 December 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#22 Zagum

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

What do you consider completed to say that this game is no longer in Beta and WHEN?

#23 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

This question is entirely pointless in the grand scheme of things like bug fixes and game balance but:

Whatever happened to that gun cosmetic you guys mentioned? And when do you think we'll get custom decals, and how will they work? Will be able to set our own images?

#24 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

After looking at the updated road maps and seeing as how they go out to FEB with no CW in sight (safe to say the 90 days is out the window), When can we expect an update on CW and it's development?

EDIT: and please don't say Soon™ if you do answer :)

Edited by Lonestar1771, 07 December 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#25 iminbagdad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

1. There's a lot of talk about the paint jobs and the pricing. Have you given any thoughts on changing up how it works?

2. During close beta you said the base cap mechanic was a place holder. You guys still planning on changing how base caps work or are you happy with the current system. If not have you thought about moving the base to the center instead of one on each side?

3. Can you tell us about any upcoming modules?

4. Why don't you guys patch more often? We all know this is beta so I dont think anyone would be upset with having to patch more than once a week. If you fix something send it out, I think we have proven to be much better at catching stuff than the internal testers.

Thanks for your time

#26 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

1. In what way will omnimechs be different from standard mechs?

2. Many consider the heat scale especially for energy weapons high. Do you see clan mechs overheating very quickly in their stock setup? (for instance the Daishi has 4 ER Large Lasers and the Masakari has 4 ER PPCs)

3. Repair bills are very high and sometimes even exceed earnings per match. Will clantech be even more expensive or will this somehow get balanced?

4. Are there plans to include future tech such as snub-nose PPC, plasma cannon, rotary AC, or light fusion engines?

5. Speaking of clan invasion, if we do not have clan tech and we aren't fighting NPCs, how will we initially face off against clan mechs?

6. 3rd Person Camera was proposed to make the game accessible to new players that have a hard time with the torso rotation and yet ECM makes the game even less accessible to new players. Any chance you are going to balance ECM to be less OP?

7. Will we ever be able to drop as teams of 5, 6, or 7? (Our players online tend to be in the range of 6 or 14 online which makes 4 and 8 man drops less then ideal)

#27 Nathan Xain

• PipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Now we seem to have enough mechs announced to tide us over with regular newly released chassis until March/ April next year, will we be seeing anymore of them until the strange rumours on the periphery have been investigated further?

In other words, will we have more than these 18 Inner Sphere mechs to counter the Clans with?
I ask because we haven’t seem mech 19 yet and I love FD’s re-works of the original designs and I really can’t wait to see what you guys do with the Clan mechs!

#28 p4p3rth1n

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Could we get the ability to permanently buy colors for mechs, even if you need to buy that color for each variant? The reason I would like that is so that I can switch between the colors of the team I play for, and then switch back to the colors I like to run when I am playing by myself without penalty.

#29 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

It was said there would be a finesse pass of each mech to individualize them, tuning factors such as torso turn rate, arm traversion rate, torso elevation angle, arv traverse distance etc etc. When can we expect such an update?

Is it possible to have community input on which mechs should recieve which types of adjustments?

#30 buckX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationShut down on a heat vent

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

1) Is the current implementation of engine caps finalized, or is that something that is still being looked at?

It seems odd to have such huge differences in engine capacity within a single chassis, such as 260 vs. 390 with the Centurions. Also, the 8.5*tonnage cap disallows certain canon mechs, such as the Jenner IIC. Given that speed is the primary reason to take a smaller mech, it seems likes anything smaller than a Jenner, which can already hit that cap, will be deprived of the primary advantage for shedding tonnage.

2) Do you think mech efficacy by size is currently balanced, or do you think heavier mechs are, in general, more powerful? (I realize netcode issues are currently giving a big advantage to sufficiently fast lights, but I don't see much disagreement that an Atlas will beat a Hunchback of equal skill) Is matchmaking by tonnage under consideration? It seems like the lighter mechs in each bracket (Commando, Cicada, Dragon, Awesome) are all less popular. (Less so the Awesome, but I feel like the greatly reduced cost relative to the Atlas plays into that)

3) Jumpjets currently give full benefit from a single jet. Obviously this is wrong, and it's been noted in the past that this will be addressed eventually. Where does this stand in terms of priority? Is there anything in particular holding it back, or just a lot on your plate? When it does end up getting implemented, what kind of performance should we expect. Is the current implementation the maximum possible, or reflective of some pretty normal number of installed JJs, like 4 or 5? Would you plan on supporting silly 20 JJ builds?

Edited by buckX, 07 December 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#31 Amerante

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Q: Will there be any longterm goals for players?
Something that is not bound to GXP, (because it can be achieved with MC faster), and have several milestone to give you the feeling you progress (not something like from zero to hero)

Q: Will there be any system that rewards you if you play your favourite mechs for a long long time? (maybe only those)
Currently you have progressions, and each time you switch a mech you feel that, however with master leveled mechs this feel of progression (as a reward) is missing (for me at least). You can convert to speed up you progress to reach faster ... what exactly do i want to reach faster?

Q: iIs it possible to make cockpits (the visual upgrades, hulagirls, etc) independent from the mech itself, and you could fit 1-2-3 of these cockpits independently, and chose it for your mech, in that case you don't have to unequip and reequip, also you can switch between mechs and still see your decorations.
Similar to the League of Legends' mastery trees.

Edited by Amerante, 08 December 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#32 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I'm maintaining a list of current and announced 'mechs, and so far I haven't seen any information on what variants will be available for the Flea and the Blackjack. I'm really looking forward to both these 'mechs, so could you please tell us in which variants they'll come?

#33 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Weekly Review Nov 30 (http://mwomercs.com/...eview-nov-30th/ ) contained the following: pretty damn cool looking, particularly with the Cameron Stars all over it (PS. They look really cool as white stars on a black painted Mech – just what I did in testing.) which implies the ability to repaint the Ilya Muromets hero mech- an ability denied to the players. Any plans to allow the users to repaint the Hero Mechs, even if it only means changing the colour palette and not the pattern?

#34 BanditRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Will you ever look into fixing the Catapult K2?

The K2 has been a problem for months now. Months and months and months and months.

There's no reason to use any other mech with ballistic primary weapons so long as this thing exists.

There needs to be some sort of restriction where you can't put GAUSS RIFLES and AC/20's in a slot where MACHINE GUNS used to be.

There's been zero word on the devs from this, when this is the single issue that's breaking the game the most and has been causing everyone to use K2's for this purpose for months and months and months now. What's the point of any ballistics based mech out there when the K2, an energy based mech, does their job better? What's the point of the Jagermech, specifically, when the K2 exists?

The issue is not with gauss rifles being overpowered. The issue is specifically with the K2 and it's hard to hit side torsos being able to mount the largest ballistic weapons in the game when it should not.

Have the devs ever looked into restricting hardpoints into large and small hardpoints? Can we get ANY word on this at all? Is there ANY hope to see mechs in this game other than catapults in competitive play?

#35 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

The most prevalent Aimbot appears to be a rather sophisticated and well developed tool, that has been generically developed for a significant number of games and quick adaptability to new software. Additionally there is clearly ongoing effort by the developers of the Aimbot to keep pace with software that prevent overlays (like Virtual guard and punk-buster) etc and circumvent them.

There are no obvious details that a development house would give to how they intend to prevent cheating, and we would not think to ask. Can you however confirm an estimation of the number of members banned already, or at least that you suspect are running such overlays and assist programs.

Basically how widespread is this issue? Perhaps asked more appropriately, "How many losers have you caught?"

Is there anything, other than NOT cheating the community can do to assist. Since we cannot perform a witch hunt against every lucky shot it would be great if there was some empowerment for the community. Reporting people seems very much like guesswork, without an in-game open admission of guilt.

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 07 December 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#36 JimSan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Not sure if asked before but also regarding PPCs and their hopefully added static effect, would they do anything against ECM at all?
a somewhat poor mans ECCM by shooting the ECM mech with PPC, their ECM is scrambled for a couple of seconds, long enough to target anything they are hiding normally again till their ECM reboots?

#37 wolfmanjake

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPirating in the Periphery

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Q: Can the designers/devs post something on how they think strategy in this game should work so we stop having people whine about how ecm makes LRM's and SSRM's useless?

#38 buckX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationShut down on a heat vent

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

View PostBeakieHelmet, on 07 December 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

There needs to be some sort of restriction where you can't put GAUSS RIFLES and AC/20's in a slot where MACHINE GUNS used to be.

The issue is not with gauss rifles being overpowered. The issue is specifically with the K2 and it's hard to hit side torsos being able to mount the largest ballistic weapons in the game when it should not.

I'm actually fine with the hardpoints it has. I understand the argument that if gauss is mounted, the arm makes more sense, but fundamentally, torso would work if it just made the side torso have a much bigger hitbox. The tiny side torso not only makes it hard to blow off weapons, it makes an XL super safe, which is a requirement for the Gaussapult to not be as slow as or slower than an Atlas.

Edited by buckX, 07 December 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#39 BanditRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostbuckX, on 07 December 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

I'm actually fine with the hardpoints it has. I understand the argument that if gauss is mounted, the arm makes more sense, but fundamentally, torso would work if it just made the side torso have a much bigger hitbox. The tiny side torso not only makes it hard to blow off weapons, it makes an XL super safe, which is a requirement for the Gaussapult to not be as slow as or slower than an Atlas.

That's part of the thing.

Either the side torsos need to be made larger on the catapult, or large/small hardpoints need to be implemented.

Unfortunately, there's little that can be done to fix the side torsos of the slim Catapult other than making the side torsos on the in-game model bigger, which is why I argue that there needs to be large/small hardpoints instead.

#40 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 07 December 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

After looking at the updated road maps and seeing as how they go out to FEB with no CW in sight (safe to say the 90 days is out the window), When can we expect an update on CW and it's development?

I think the 90 days was supposed to be after *launch*, not open beta. I believe the planned progression is still this:

Closed Beta
Open Beta (we are in it!)
Launch
Community Warfare (about 90 days after Launch)
Clan Invasion (presumably depends on some of the infrastructure from CW)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users