22 replies to this topic

#1 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

ok, i can drive an Assault Mech like a dam champ. Atlas, knowing when to advance, when to get to cover, when and where to shoot and can even tag those pesky scouts with an AC20 and make them think twice about spotting me again. the Awesome i know how to manage my heat and spread incoming damage and protect my precious cockpit and focus my guns on any weak armor spots i can exploit

however... i fail very consistently using any of the lights. and before you ask. no i don't try to drive them like heavy to assault mechs :). i tend to keep the speed on the whole way circle my targets hit em and run and hit em again. but i never feel like i am doing very significant damage... like the kind i feel when "i" get harassed by lights in larger mechs.

mind you i still have "fun" while running around being a little ankle biter i just never seem to have much to show for it after i get taken out.

any gameplay/load out suggestions?

#2 Murrrks

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Hit the back with lights is usually very very effective.

#3 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

yeah, but should i even try to make attacks, early game or late game. later in the match i would think i have a better chance of not getting mobbed and perhaps finding some softened up targets?

#4 Vosje

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

Well, a lot depends on how long you currently survive in a light and the style you want to play.
I am currently running 4 Lights and a Heavy, and they all play differently. I'll only descibe the 3 I use most:

My Jenner-F is mostly for annoying the enemy. I am even found to take on a heavy from the front (Zigzagging on my way in and out). Most of the time I survive as it has it's armour maxed out, but not without missing some parts. I stick to 4 medium lasers (ML) and my damage-output isn't top of the chart, but I can keep 2 or 3 enemies occupied at a time and limp in for the cap by the time my teammates finish a few enemies of. And more then once I can finish an enemy of before I need any support.

My Jenner-K is a pure scout and a tagger (+ 2 ML and a SSRM2 for other lights or just getting attention from an enemy), low on armour, high on speed, so my damage output is minimal, but my assists are 6 or higher. (And let's say my K/D ratio is well below freezingpoint for this Mech.)

My Jenner-D has the most damage-output, as it has 4 ML and 2 SRM6. The most damage come from sneaking in close behind an enemy (or waiting until is is engaged my a teammate) and go Alpha on it's backdoor. (It's one knock they will hear) Either they turn and get it from my teammate, or they ignore me and I repeat the procedure.

If you want to know more: Just ask.

#5 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Jenner-D sounds like a good time, i may try that. i'm a good shot with SRMs :)

#6 Murrrks

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

Light attacks work best when combined with another mech attacking - very hard for the defender to split attention without getting shot in the back or park against a rock wall / building.

#7 DowncastAcorn

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Lights are kind of hard to get used to if you're used to being in any other mech. Basically, think of it as playing an extra-cautious Atlas.Cover is your friend in other chassis, but even moreso in Lights. You really only want to be exposing yourself for a split second, dumping your ammo/lasers (Pulse lasers work very well on lights), and high-tailing it out of there.

View PostLeded, on 10 December 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

Jenner-D sounds like a good time, i may try that. i'm a good shot with SRMs :)

If it's SRM's you want, well, as the saying goes real men go Commando! *nudge* *nudge*

#8 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

now that you mention it, i had a Commando punch a hole in the back Armor of my Atlas once before... he wasn't to bright tho, he stood there as i turned and AC20'ed his head off :)

Commando may be a good move

Edited by Leded, 10 December 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#9 DowncastAcorn

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostLeded, on 10 December 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

now that you mention it, i had a Commando punch a hole in the back Armor of my Atlas once before... he wasn't to bright tho, he stood there as i turned and AC20'ed his head off :)

Commando may be a good move

Haha, Commando's a fun mech to run. You're as powerful as you are weak, so it's more reliant on cover and positioning than other lights. As such, you're really vulnerable to other lights, especially when they gang up on you. Commando's best run as a support to the main battleforce, sneaking in SRM alphas at the periphery, grabbing those mchs who happen to stray too far from the thick of the fighting. Alternately, you also make a pretty good headhunter, sneaking by and taking out theri LRM/Gauss boats.

Just watch out for other lights.

My favorite build yet, the one I run on my Dakota, is ECM, 2 SSRMs, and a MPulse. Having only 2 streaks helps with ammo conservation while still giving you good guided damage, and the medpulse helps give you some staying power if you run out of ammo, as well as making a more versatile addition to your alpha than another SSRM. Some people might dispute this because MPulse isn't guided, but where will you be if your target shuts down?

#10 Spaceghost

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

I have mastered both Jenner (F Model) and Commando (2D) and they play very differently from each other. The one thing they both have in common, as with any light, is that speed is your armor. Once you engage, never stop moving.

You basically play 2 roles in a light, first is scouting, this is where you be cautious and refrain from going full throttle so you don't come around a corner and get blind sided by the opposition. The second, is harassment. Pick your fights, let a heavier teammate engage a target first, then you go in behind it and stay there (but DON'T stop moving), taking out it's back. Also as part of this role, if you see a teammate getting swarmed, light off an alpha or 2 and draw off an attacker. Just get it to focus on you for a second then disappear, come around from another angle and repeat.

Don't get tunnel vision and keep locked onto the same target, if you start getting fire coming your way, disengage, break line of sight, then come back in. Again, DON'T stop moving.

Targeting is also different in a light as you are ALWAYS going max throttle at 100+kph, so pin point accuracy plays a big part. On my Commando 2D I use a ML to snipe damaged limbs off as I run through the enemy lines. Plus it's fun to see them all shooting each other trying to hit you :( .

I have tried all 4 Commando variants, 2D and 3A are my favorites. I run a ML and 3x SSRM2 with ECM on the 2D and 2ML with 2 SRM6 on the 3A. That's a 40 point alpha on the 3A, it really gets the enemies attention.

With the Jenner, I sold off all but the D model that I run 4 ML and 2 SSRM2 a XL300 (149+kph w/ speed tweak). But honestly, once I started playing with the Commando, I haven't really used the Jenner much, just for comparison. The Commando is just too damn fun...You are so small it is just a blast watching them try to hit you. But don't get me wrong, every now and then a golden BB has your name on it. Being chased by 2 lights I came around a corner and an Atlas took a split second snap shot with his gauss rifle and it took my head clean off, no other dmg to the mech.
I also tried the Raven, I wasn't a fan, just didn't fit my playstyle. As I said, each light model plays differently.

I have been most effective with the Commando, consistently doing 400-500dmg (sometimes 600 and once over 700). The Jenner, even with DH ends up with heat problems, 300-400dmg, and for over 400 they were near perfect games, I was left alone and firing continuously through out the match keeping my heat in the 80+ range. Again, these are if you avoid the golden BB. Been plenty of matches where I died in the first shots fired where you do zero damage for the round.

The role of the light is spotting and assists, not outright kills, this where you'll make your C-Bills.

Overall, the Commando is the most fun, for me. So try each light out and see how they feel to you.

**NOTE: One more thing you have to get used to as a light, most of the damage done to you and your deaths will come from your own team; you have been warned! :)

Edited by Spaceghost, 10 December 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#11 Fred013

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the red dot on your chest.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

I pilot a raven 4X. With only 2MLAS and an SRM6, with a STD engine 245, My record is 373 dmg and 2 kills. I mostly run around, hit people where they are weak and run away, before circling and returning. Also, Vosje, you can't fit 2x SRM6 in a jenner d. I've tried it and there aren't enough slots in the CT.

#12 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

i really can's understand why there is no love for the Commando 1B.
It has 3 frigging Laser hardpoints!
I run it with 3 Med.Pulse, just think about what that does to an enemy mech :)

#13 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

Running in circles around an enemy is always a big mistake.
This is calles the CoD or circle of dead.
With this behavior you are blocking or obscuring the LoS of your team mates and you're risking getting hit by friendly fire.
Do your approach, get behind him and try to stay there, fire some salvos and get of as fast as you can. If you insist on FIGHTING with a light mech do hit and run. Don't try to brawl or CoD.
( In my opinion lights shouldn't try to fight they are for recon or for recon hunting but thats just me )

#14 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

Some random comments
- Aim for legs when you come up behind people. Only the greenest targets will just let you keep aiming center torso until they blow, but it's hard to hide your legs. Then you can keep on the leg as they try to escape, and once one leg is gone anyone is easy pickings. Light mechs just don't have enough firepower to core a good opponent quickly from behind.

- I'm guessing your aiming while moving technique is off. Maybe not, but it makes a big difference so I thought I'd mention it -- avoid firing while you're turning with the A/D keys, and instead overturn past your target, then use the mouse to keep your crosshairs where you want them as you pass your target running straight for a bit. You can get away without doing this on a slow mech, but on a fast mech it's /very/ difficult.

- Learn to drive watching the minimap. Helps avoid running into things that'll slow you down and make you an easy target.

- Don't go full speed all the time. Very often it's worth slowing down, e.g. if doing so will let you weave and stay behind a slower target trying to turn into you or get you to overshoot. Even stopping is /occasionally/ good, just be careful when you do it.

- It's easiest if only one target can see you. If you start getting fire from an unexpected angle, escape and reset your attack.

- Try to delay getting engaged until the action has already started and you have a good idea where opponents are. Much easier to slip in for the ambush if you're not the first target seen! "Scouting" can be effective, but it's better to learn ambush timing first -- especially now with ECM everywhere. I ideally you can use your maneuverability to join a 1v1 duel and tag team some hapless stray.

- Both stay away from Streak mechs (unless you have ECM dominance!) and try to finish them as quickly as possible. Find the right time to ******** them so they're gone, but otherwise seek other prey.

- Try wolfpacking with other light mechs, but beware the trap of premature engagement.

- Post your mech loadout so we can critique it. Some builds are definitely better than others!

- [Edit] One last one! Learn to stick behind opponents one on one -- this is your assault mech killing technique. Slip behind then slow down so you're just a bit faster than them, and circle just outside their arm firing arc -- depends on the mech but generally so you can just barely see their front torso. It's important to not get too far ahead in your circling so you have space/time for the next step; tease them, just out of reach! The closer you can cut to this margin, the faster an opponent you can dance behind.

They'll soon realize they can't ever catch you and start turning the opposite direction and try to "scissors" you -- /immediately/ switch to circling the other direction. Depending on how close you are you might need to briefly slow down or even stop. If you time it right you can reverse course before they swing about, then just rinse and repeat. Keep your eye on them mid-scissor in case they fake a direction switch!

Savvy opponents will find a wall to back up against so you can't do this, forcing your to instead continously reposition and pop out from unexpected angles for snap shots, which takes /way/ longer and risks them catching you. It's often best to find other targets at such moments.

Edited by Jaded Jasper, 10 December 2012 - 03:11 AM.

#15 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostJaded Jasper, on 10 December 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

Some random comments
- Aim for legs when you come up behind people. Only the greenest targets will just let you keep aiming center torso until they blow, but it's hard to hide your legs. Then you can keep on the leg as they try to escape, and once one leg is gone anyone is easy pickings. Light mechs just don't have enough firepower to core a good opponent quickly from behind.

- I'm guessing your aiming while moving technique is off. Maybe not, but it makes a big difference so I thought I'd mention it -- avoid firing while you're turning with the A/D keys, and instead overturn past your target, then use the mouse to keep your crosshairs where you want them as you pass your target running straight for a bit. You can get away without doing this on a slow mech, but on a fast mech it's /very/ difficult.

- Learn to drive watching the minimap. Helps avoid running into things that'll slow you down and make you an easy target.

- Don't go full speed all the time. Very often it's worth slowing down, e.g. if doing so will let you weave and stay behind a slower target trying to turn into you or get you to overshoot. Even stopping is /occasionally/ good, just be careful when you do it.

- It's easiest if only one target can see you. If you start getting fire from an unexpected angle, escape and reset your attack.

- Try to delay getting engaged until the action has already started and you have a good idea where opponents are. Much easier to slip in for the ambush if you're not the first target seen! "Scouting" can be effective, but it's better to learn ambush timing first -- especially now with ECM everywhere. I ideally you can use your maneuverability to join a 1v1 duel and tag team some hapless stray.

- Both stay away from Streak mechs (unless you have ECM dominance!) and try to finish them as quickly as possible. Find the right time to ******** them so they're gone, but otherwise seek other prey.

- Try wolfpacking with other light mechs, but beware the trap of premature engagement.

- Post your mech loadout so we can critique it. Some builds are definitely better than others!

yeah that helps. i think my main issue then was i always ran in first :). maybe i exercise a little patience at the match start. as i said i tend to play assaults most of the time. and most of the time in that case the battle is usually under way by the time i reach it at full speed... lights get there "too" fast.
i've mostly been on my Founder's Jenner for most fights. various load-outs really, i didn't want buy any new ones till i thought i could use one well enough.
as far as the minimap goes i actually made it a point to memorize alot of the terrain :D. i've made backwards and sideways jumps over buildings i knew i would otherwise hit without looking:D

i'll take alot of this in and i'll just have to practice, practice, practice

Edited by Leded, 10 December 2012 - 03:10 AM.

#16 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

I tacked on a last minute addendum, btw!

And yeah, hunting with a light mech is all about patience, and finding just the right moment to pounce.

Sometimes it helps to create your opportunities. Try a careful (i.e. not full speed) end run around for the cap to see if you can get opponents to split up, then slip away before they cover their base and let them wonder if you're still nearby, while you use the confusion to find prey. This can be risky though, and often it's better to lurk around the edge of a front and find someone unexpectedly isolated on a flnk. Depends on the situation really.

Edited by Jaded Jasper, 10 December 2012 - 03:25 AM.

#17 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

Oh, and the founder's Jenner is good, but in a bit of an odd position now that ECM has been added. What do you do with your missile slots? Streaks, but then you have to worry about facing ECM mechs for those moments when you're a bit away from your team? Or SRMs, which take some practice to stick while running full bore?

The 6 laser Jenner is probably easier to start with, as it's more potent at legging and not hosed by ECM.

Definitely make sure you get a 300XL engine and Double Heat Sinks!

Another mech to try is the 3xML 2xStreak ECM Raven. A bit slower, but potent against other light mechs, and ECM is always handy!

Edited by Jaded Jasper, 10 December 2012 - 03:28 AM.

#18 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

I find that focusing on one v. one or two v. one is really key. Scout, but don't range so far ahead that you find yourself surrounded by three opponents. It's okay to run away and regroup with you teammates. Look for enemies that are already engaged and focus your fire on their back or their biggest weapon. And stay away from streak boats, they are your nemesis.

#19 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

yeah i've encountered streak boats before... a Cat C4 with all streaks can break a light mech down pretty fast.

#20 Spaceghost

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostJaded Jasper, on 10 December 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

- [Edit] One last one! Learn to stick behind opponents one on one -- this is your assault mech killing technique. Slip behind then slow down so you're just a bit faster than them, and circle just outside their arm firing arc -- depends on the mech but generally so you can just barely see their front torso. It's important to not get too far ahead in your circling so you have space/time for the next step; tease them, just out of reach! The closer you can cut to this margin, the faster an opponent you can dance behind.

They'll soon realize they can't ever catch you and start turning the opposite direction and try to "scissors" you -- /immediately/ switch to circling the other direction. Depending on how close you are you might need to briefly slow down or even stop. If you time it right you can reverse course before they swing about, then just rinse and repeat. Keep your eye on them mid-scissor in case they fake a direction switch!

Savvy opponents will find a wall to back up against so you can't do this, forcing your to instead continously reposition and pop out from unexpected angles for snap shots, which takes /way/ longer and risks them catching you. It's often best to find other targets at such moments.

When doing this though, you must pay attention to what is going on around you as you are a sitting duck if one of his lancemates shows up out of your field of view. As a slow or stopped light, you are only an alpha strike or less from certain death. Situational awareness is key!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users