106 replies to this topic

#1 chrispalasz

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

If you came to this thread looking for the ILYA MAUROMETS BEST BUILD... well, that's why I'm here, too. What is it?

This mech was my first buy after just starting to play MWO a week prior. Since then, I've done plenty of reading, as much experimenting as my CBills and resources can muster... and I just can't make this a USEFUL mech.

I'm either having ammo problems... or tonnage problems... or Engine problems, or armor problems... something is always an exploitable weakness on this thing.

And I'll go ahead and preemptively agree with a few critics. YES - partly it's just me not playing the mech properly, I'm sure. This thing is no tank. It's no Atlas.

HOW can I turn this mech profitable? How can I turn it into a mech that HELPS my team (considering the teams are balanced by tonnage, I don't want to drive dead weight).

Simply put:
WHAT is the BEST BUILD for this mech?

I'm open to anything!!! aaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh - BOOOOOOM!!!! (<<<my life in ILYA)

#2 Penance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

the stock one seems ok to me. the one i use:

2 AC/5
1 AC 10
C.A.S.E
2 Med Lasers (sometimes I take them out for heatsinks)

#3 Maspan

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

endosteel
dhs

3-ultra ac5 w/7 tons of ammo
3-medium lazers

#4 Obeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

Triple UAC/5....the only way to go.

#5 Grokmoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I have been running this build with great success:

Standard 250 engine
10x (all engine) double heatsinks
Endo Steel

2x Gauss Rifle
2x Medium Laser
4x Gauss Rifle Ammo

Overheating is a non-issue. Putting the Gauss Rifles in the arms gives you more flexibility to make shots than a Gaussapult. It is a bit slow for my tastes, but I do find that I will lose a side torso pretty frequently, so I'm not willing to go to an XL engine.

#6 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

I enjoyed ES / DHS, LBX10 (x2), ERLL (x2)

Though clearly, normal LL would be more efficient.

However, I recently went back to triple UAC5 and 12 tons of ammo.

The dakka dakka fills the otherwise barren hole left in my soul by the constant betrayal of evil women.

#7 UlverusMawbreaker

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

This is a build that I love, and it's the only mech that I play (waiting for Stalker and Spider which are coming soon!).

Ilya Muromets

Left Torso
- 6 tons Ultra AC 5 ammo
- C.A.S.E
- Medium Laser

Right Torso
- Medium Laser
- Ultra AC 5

Center Torso Front
- XL Engine 310

Head
- Nuffin'

Right Arm
- Medium Laser
- Ultra AC 5

Left Arm
- Ultra AC 5

1. Drop your leg armor down from maximum to 43 armor on each leg.
2. Acquire Endo-steel
3. I have the double heat sinks upgrade although I don't have any heatsinks besides the 10 standard.
4. You will hit (with speed tweak) about 78.7kph which is great for a cataphract...around 86kph with XL340 if you want to do the other build.
5. This is a very low heat build, even when firing everything, if you manage your lazers correctly you will never ever overheat.

Good luck! This build has always worked well for me past few dyas I've been playing usually hitting between 350 - 900 damage with a high of 1100. Capitilize on the players who don't twist and turn to cover their exposed parts and TAKE THEM OUT WITHOUT SPENDING ALL OF YOUR AMMO ON ONE MAN.

Make your shots count, I know AC 5 aren't for everyone, but don't take all the long range shots if you can't hit em, just be patient.

I have been grouping up with guys from the No Guts No Galaxy TS the past couple days and this build seems to work exceptionally well with other cataphracts around you. My buddy and I rn the same exact build and focus down one foe and it tends to work. I suggest having multiples.

Edited by SomniumMortus, 11 December 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#8 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm liking this one right now, needs some fire discipline but it works.

Max Armor (-.5 ton from each leg)
XL 280
Endo
DHS

3 ML (LT, RT, RA)
2 UAC/5 (Arms)
1 AC/2 (CT)

weapon groups:

group 1: Uac's (on chainfire, high rate of fire no double fire, no jam)
group 2: AC/2
Group 3: ML (on chainfire)
Group 4: Alpha Strike

----------------
I have a variant of this that just uses AC-5s the trade of is slower RoF for more Ammo, so you can be a little more aggressive with suppressive fire.

Also in both variants you can swap the ML in the RA for a TAG in a pinch allowing for great spotting for support and targetting purposes, especially if you macro it making it so what ever you shoot is targetable within tag range.

Edited by Agent of Change, 11 December 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#9 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

best build is triple UAC/5s and triple medium lasers by far

#10 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Looks like most people are doing UAC5 setups. I tried that and found that under conditions of lag, its really hard to keep those bad boys on target. Yes, I can't aim. So My fav setup for my Muromets is 3 LBX with 2 Medium Pulse Lasers (endo + DHS). Its not extremely powerful but very fun to play with and great against lights due to the HUGE explosion of shrapnels from 3 LBX firing together in a huge spread.

Edited by Pr8Dator, 11 December 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#11 Penance

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostPr8Dator, on 11 December 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

Looks like most people are doing UAC5 setups. I tried that and found that under conditions of lag, its really hard to keep those bad boys on target. Yes, I can't aim. So My fav setup for my Muromets is 3 LBX with 2 Medium Pulse Lasers (endo + DHS). Its not extremely powerful but very fun to play with and great against lights due to the HUGE explosion of shrapnels from 3 LBX firing together in a huge spread.

Standard or XL engine? That has to be pricey to repair with ES and DHS, no?

this has to be brutal at really close ranges, I can imagine coming up behind an atlas, and blasting it with the 3 LBX's at once...must either destroy the section outright, or leave it hurting!

#12 Jacmac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

3x UAC5 is for close range brawling or suppressing fire for the wack-a-mole phase of the fight. Put the 3 UAC5s on chain fire, they will never jam and you will be spitting out a constant stream. At point blank range, this tears apart large mechs in a hurry.

#13 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostPenance, on 11 December 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

Standard or XL engine? That has to be pricey to repair with ES and DHS, no?

this has to be brutal at really close ranges, I can imagine coming up behind an atlas, and blasting it with the 3 LBX's at once...must either destroy the section outright, or leave it hurting!

The original XL engine that came with the mech. ;) Repair bill's about 20,000 to 40,000 a time average I think, yeah, its bit ex but ES + DHS is a must for really good builds I think. They allow you to really squeeze out the firepower of your mech. These 3 LBX firing together makes an explosive sound that makes you **** and your target trembling! :P Up close face to face, I've killed injured mechs with a blast right in the face. One blast at about 100m also lights up an entire Atlas like a Christmas tree, LOL!

My other fav build with the Muromets is 2 AC10s + 1 Gauss. That works pretty well for close range sniping. I've cored quite a few mechs with shots to the cockpit at about 200m. Again, the problem is lag. Once it starts lagging, more than half the time you gonna miss... :(

#14 SpartanFiredog317

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 176 posts
  • LocationMighty MO

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

STD 255, Endosteel, default Armor, 3x ERPPC, rest of space with DHS. Surprisingly effective if you get a good sniping opportunity, or get around 9 seconds looking at a torso. 30 Alpha at range, fairly steady RoF.... if they buff the projectile speed and add that disruptive effect it will be beautiful. I also like running 3x AC2 with 2x mediums

#15 Armorpiercer M82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

i have

1x ac10 + 2x ammo
2x ac5 + 3x ammo
3x ML

ES + DHS
235 std = 58.5 kph (slower, but replacing XL eng means, if you get destroyed completely, you still gain HUGE cbills.)
armor 368/434

heat eff = 1.14
firepower = 35

#16 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

3x AC/5
1x Large Laser (RA)
2x Medium Laser
Endo Steel
XL 300
Drop 0.5 tons armor from legs, full armor otherwise.
I think 12 or 13 DHS.

Moves about 70kph, plenty of armor, and lots of DPS. MLas + Large Laser for lights, 3x AC/5 + Large Laser for brawling and decent sniping range... no jamming on AC's, so not quite as much potential DPS as UAC/5 build, but much more consistent DPS, and you can practically fire everything on cooldown without overheating too quickly (it will overheat if you spam Medium Lasers; Large Laser can be fired on its own nearly nonstop in tandem with the AC/5's.)

#17 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

The Ilya lends itself as a sniper VERY well.

Like most I've had great success in 3 UAC5s with 7-8 tons of ammo and rest in MLAS or MPLAS if they'll fit.

I also enjoyed a 2 erPPC Gauss build that hurt like hell from range, ran a bit hot but easy to manage when you're playing your role properly (which is shooting things that are 500-1000m away). I've been able to fend off lights long enough by chain firing the PPCs and GR until help arrives (sometimes) and other times just slammed my head into the desk as I get jumped by brawlers and bent over a Cicada and have an Atlas make sweet love to me.

IMO the Cataphract chassis itself doesn't hold up very well as a brawler. It just seems pretty easy to core.

Ohh FYI, the UAC5 build may cost some money up front to outfit and rearm, but its main savings is that it continues to use the XL280 engine so it's not nearly as cumbersome to run as an Atlas or CTF 4X.

*edit*
I definitely have my UAC5s jam up, and often, but rarely at the same time. I fire the arm mounted UACs in group 2 and the torso mounted one in group 3. I can alternate 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3 for quite a while before an accidental double shot locks them up.

Edited by BDU Havoc, 11 December 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#18 Veldrinn

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I've had great success with 2 Guass, 2 Medium lasers, endo steel and double heat sinks.

Triple UAC/5 is also fun once in a while. Agree with BDU Havoc I love the Ilya as a sniper.

#19 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

3 AC5 3 ML 320XL
Spoiler

Not as much brawling or raw firepower as the 3 UAC5 versions but much more reliable. Also much faster. The 3 AC5 have enough ammo that you can feel comfortable shooting at extreme distances knowing that you'll still have plenty of ammo for close combat as well. Excellent suppression sniper to keep enemy mechs ducking for cover.

Edited by TruePoindexter, 11 December 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#20 Virtusx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Actually running dual gauss right now with 3 medium lasers. Never did the K2 dual build so I thought I would have some fun with it. Tried a dual ac/2 with GR build a bit but damage was lacking, was fun to never let up on the firing for the ac/2's though. Was thinking about a dual ER PPC maybe when the next patch hits and they speed up the PPC shot.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users