#41 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 16 May 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

I'm sure they could easily tell you the specs of the computers in their testing lab, but that wouldn't really be very helpful for establishing a minimum. Maybe they're counting on crowd-sourcing the minimum specs trough trial and error when they start giving people closed beta access ;)

exactly how I think it will go.

#42 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostFresh_Meat, on 16 May 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

What are notable named hero mechs?

are these special rare variants with unique hard points?

Basically, yes, I'm assuming they are talking about one-off designs from the lore. In general, most of them are pretty weak compared to the baseline mech.

#43 Togg Bott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 216 posts
  • LocationKansas City Mo.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 16 May 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

It's starting in 5 minutes. Let's use this thread to discuss the points brought up in it. Hopefully we'll see some good things. (Uses the hashtag #mwochat) Seems the chat was earmarked for 30 minutes.
  • No current plans on releasing an SDK/Editor — Bryan
  • No limit on number of Mechs that can be owned. Confirming dozens of variants (24+?) — Russ
  • Mechs are not limited to a house, however their costs can adjust based on your allegiance — Bryan
  • PGI is working to ensure servers available in all major regions. In talks with 3rd parties — Russ
  • Legs cannot be separated from chassis on destruction, but result in Mech limping animation — Bryan
  • Re-confirmation of game max player size being 3 lances (1 company) vs another (24 total players) — Russ
  • PGI understands its players value VOIP but are looking into exploring official options — Russ
  • Multiple monitor support (as well as joysticks) are supported however makes and models are not listed — Bryan
  • PGI currently employs ~40 developers + IGP and other support staff — Bryan
  • Matchmaking will start off simplified but will be developed and evolved over time — Bryan
  • Quad Mechs are not planned for at launch, but they may be added if their technical challenges can be overcome. — Bryan
  • Plans for an Open Beta are (re)confirmed. — Bryan
  • Information about the Beta is coming next week — Russ
  • The game will feature a Quick Zoom Reticule (ala MW3's) but its implementation will be different — Bryan
  • Damage done into a destroyed area will not overflow into nearby areas — Bryan
  • No environmental destruction (outside trees and small props) is planned — Bryan
  • Notable named hero Mechs may be implemented as "premium" content — Russ
  • Matchmaking will limit at launch to basic pairings and evolve to use class, tonnage and a form of BV — Bryan
  • Players get 1 free Mech to start. They can choose from 4 (1 in each class) — Bryan
  • Mech models do a fair amount of visual model change as different weapons are added, and more will happen later in development. — Russ
  • You can group together with friends and then launch as a group to ensure you play alongside each other — Bryan
  • More information on minimum system requirement specs may be released in the next couple of weeks — Russ
  • Internal components can be destroyed. Enemy weapons systems can be taken out — Russ
  • Players will receive triple XP bonuses for killing Mechs in pink and $20 in the mail for killing Paul. — Aegis*
* Might be $20CAD, conversion rates apply**

** This was a joke.

I remember you Aegis ... doubt you remember me though... i'll whoppe your *** non-the-less

#44 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 May 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'll tell 'em :blink:

Tanks! You can always count on Garth to take care of his Community. ;)

#45 McSniffles

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostHelmer, on 16 May 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

Assuming you are allowed to sell your free 'mech.

Cheers.

I am almost certain the devs aren't dumb enough to overlook this. No way will you be able to get a free atlas, sell it, and then but like 10 other cheaper mechs. Also I wonder if its going to be harder to earn money in an Atlas because of repair costs?

#46 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostTogg Bott, on 16 May 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I remember you Aegis ... doubt you remember me though... i'll whoppe your *** non-the-less

Well with spelling skills like that, you must be a formidable pilot!

View PostMcSniffles, on 16 May 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

I am almost certain the devs aren't dumb enough to overlook this. No way will you be able to get a free atlas, sell it, and then but like 10 other cheaper mechs. Also I wonder if its going to be harder to earn money in an Atlas because of repair costs?

Unless they mark that Mech to be "Sold as an entirety, cannot have its components removed/sold, and no matter which Mech you choose, all of the 'Start Mechs' sell for the same price" ;)

#47 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Just seems a shame that an Assault mech isn't something you have to earn. I like having some depth of choice for a starting mech (not only lights) but straight to a free Assault on day 1 seems a bit much. It will be more rewarding to earn one if you have to earn it ;)
I'm sure this is still subject to change.

#48 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 16 May 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Just seems a shame that an Assault mech isn't something you have to earn. I like having some depth of choice for a starting mech (not only lights) but straight to a free Assault on day 1 seems a bit much. It will be more rewarding to earn one if you have to earn it ;)

I think as was thought of above, the disadvantage of getting that Atlas day 1 is going to be your high repair costs after each mission.

#49 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

The whole point of it is that assault mechs are not, and should not be considered, the "end game".

#50 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostKudzu, on 16 May 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

The whole point of it is that assault mechs are not, and should not be considered, the "end game".

Well we have had that wonderful news that Jenners can run around and take out Heavy and Assaults on their own. So, they are no where near the 'end game' now. They need their support with them, or they can succumb to a skilled light/medium pilot.

#51 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 16 May 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

I think as was thought of above, the disadvantage of getting that Atlas day 1 is going to be your high repair costs after each mission.
yeah cause you better believe that each and every time i come across an enemy assault mech (especially at game's start) I am doing everything in my power to bring it down or do as much damage as I can so its pilot has a hell of a time keeping it in tip top shape. Survival of the fittest and only those that play smart and keep their heads straight are going to be able to manage.

#52 Chaos Raven

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

I will admit i am a bit disappointed about the MW4 style leg damage but i can see the reasons behind the choice aside from that though MWO is shaping up to be pretty awesome!

#53 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostChaos Raven, on 16 May 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

I will admit i am a bit disappointed about the MW4 style leg damage but i can see the reasons behind the choice aside from that though MWO is shaping up to be pretty awesome!

They have the best way of doing it. You either have medch destroyed which would suck, the mech fall down, which can be annoying, or their way of doing it, which makes legging give you an advantage, but the mech still can fight back fine, just limps along. I for one love the way they are handling it, it might reduce the legging around the servers, as you are not disabling the opponent, just hampering their movement.

#54 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

I thought the same thing, but having TT-like leg-loss effects would send the twitch crowd home crying.

#55 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

This is for play balance as of this time. As the game goes on this may be changed. Expect changes between start of beta and release. And further changes as the months roll after release.

The only constant in MWO will be change.

#56 Slystone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostBreeze, on 16 May 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

Here's another place that's got the all the responses from today's tweet chat. http://www.pixelhunt...hat-on-twitter/

Disclaimer: I put this together for that site. So excited for MWO, and looking to get our readers excited about it too.

Just added you to my favorites bar, nice job!

#57 Risky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, Florida.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 16 May 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

I can see them doing this... you pick your Free mech but can only then get rid of it only after you have bought a second mech. Or like a lot of other MMO game... your first one is free but it has no trade in value ;)

It's quite easy to fix this: Give the first mech no monetary sell-back value. Problem fixed.

So instead of currency, you can switch to a different beginner's mech.

Edited by Risky, 16 May 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#58 McSniffles

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

Assault mech should not be an accomplishment. Its just a bigger, more expensive mech. If its something to "get to" it gives the impression that its better than the others which is a poor suggestion IMO.

#59 Kyuui

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Mech Size, shouldn't determine end game. Hell will we have "end game" as defined by traditional MMO's really? ie Raid style stuff?
Upper level competition to me, isn't "end game" its "good game"

#60 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 16 May 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Damage done into a destroyed area will not overflow into nearby areas — Bryan

I'm really hoping this does not apply to ammo explosions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users