4X Large Lasers. What Mech Can Do It Well?

50 replies to this topic

#21 Tacophagist

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

Dragon 1C. Much more speed and manuervability than the Cataphract and Catapult, but you really need elite skills and a bigass XL engine to get the most out of it. It does tend to run a bit hot, however, but it's fast enough that you can break away from a fight if necessary to cool down.

#22 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostCrimson Dux, on 13 December 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

CPLT-K2
4LL (the 2 in CT onChain fire if you really need it)
300XL
AMS (if you can run a little hotter)
ENDO
the rest the tonnage on SHS

My K2:
315XL
NO endo steel! (need the slots for the DHS)
max armor
DHS
4x LL
-> 19DHS handle the heat quite well.

all slots are used.

#23 D0m1n4t0r

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

I run a Cataphract-1X with 5 Large Lasers. 1.11 heat efficiency so 4 would run even better

#24 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm rather upset to see more and more guys flocking to the Large Laser set ups on a lot of these mechs. I liked it better, after the LL buff, that people still thought they were crap.

I run LLs on all three of my mechs; 2 Atlases and an Awesome. The RS Atlas is the one packing 4 of them. I also threw on an LB-10X. Not because I love the 10X, but because it took up the right number of slots in the torso to allow a DHS to go in and only generates 2 heat. I typically will cycle fire between the LLs and the 10X. Runs a bit hot but is managable. I tried a AC/10 version last night, but it required losing 2 DHS to fit and I didn't care for the result. I really need to drop the better engine in there to use up the tonnage, but don't want to spend that much right now as I am saving up for a Stalker. Right now, yup, the RS is the best platform for it. You just have to watch your arms. They are wide and out from your chest a good amount. Easy to clip them on terrain and buildings in a fight. Or shoot a friend if things get close and you have to slot your shots through a crowd. This is where the Catapults have an advantage.

My Awesome 9M switches from 3 to 4 LLs depending on my mood. The 4 runs hot, no doubt. So, I'll drop 1 LL for an SMR6 in the left arm. It's a bit weird to use (poping off 3 volleys of 2 missiles); but it works once you get use to that.

The Atlas D packs 2 right now. It's is primarily an AC/5 SRM6 mech.

I still stand by the Large Laser being the best overall weapon in game right now. At least for me. I'm looking forward to my Stalker and seeing what I can do with it.

#25 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

does anyone know or have a build that can do 7 large laser awesome 8q? im going for the 60damage alpha ;)

#26 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

The Awesome 8Q and the Awesome 9M. One is a lot cheaper but a lot slower. You can get 20 DHS + BAP on the 8Q and have AMS. The 9M can hit 21 DHS. Supposedly you can reach 22 DHS with 4 LL, 1 ML in the 9M but I haven't built it out.

#27 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostLaserAngel, on 14 December 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

The Awesome 8Q and the Awesome 9M. One is a lot cheaper but a lot slower. You can get 20 DHS + BAP on the 8Q and have AMS. The 9M can hit 21 DHS. Supposedly you can reach 22 DHS with 4 LL, 1 ML in the 9M but I haven't built it out.

i can not deiced weather to buy another awesome or just start 3 new catapults. im unsure if the speed limit is going to be an issue for me on the awesome.

#28 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 14 December 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

i can not deiced weather to buy another awesome or just start 3 new catapults. im unsure if the speed limit is going to be an issue for me on the awesome.
It's a matter of preference. I have a certain fondness for the chassis. I have the Awesome lineup mastered so I can hit 63 kph in my 8Q and 84 kph in the 9M.

Just keep in mind to adjust the default CT armor values from 60/40 if you pick one up. I usually run 76/24.

#29 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostLaserAngel, on 14 December 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

It's a matter of preference. I have a certain fondness for the chassis. I have the Awesome lineup mastered so I can hit 63 kph in my 8Q and 84 kph in the 9M.

Just keep in mind to adjust the default CT armor values from 60/40 if you pick one up. I usually run 76/24.

i own a 8R, 80/20 armor lol. since introduction of ecm iv stopped playing it. iv nearly complete elite on my new hunch line and im ready to move on back to awesome or something else. im thinking more weight = more big lasers ;) i like playing wonky builds.

#30 Atayu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 815 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

mechs that can 4 LL, this is out of my head so I might miss some.

cataphracts
3D
1X

Catapult
K2

Atlas
RS

Awsome
Can not remember model sorry

hunchback
4sp

I am sure I am missing more.

#31 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 14 December 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

i own a 8R, 80/20 armor lol. since introduction of ecm iv stopped playing it. iv nearly complete elite on my new hunch line and im ready to move on back to awesome or something else. im thinking more weight = more big lasers ;) i like playing wonky builds.
Laserboats are in the vogue again. I ran the 8V with 2 LL, 2 ML, and 3 SRM 6s. The SRMs in that launcher are absolutely deadly to slow targets.

Some people have luck with the Atlass RS and 4 LL in the arms. It's all a matter of preference and I lean to ward the Awesome. The 8Q with the largest 290 engine and 4 LL, 1 ML (21 tons so swapping to 3 PPCs is easy!) still comes in under tonnage and you don't have space for another DHS. I put all the sensor modules and BAP. Though at BAP enhanced ranges that are +1000m only the ER weapons and the PPC are effective.

The only annoying thing about the Awesome is that the torso points are so low on the body. You'll make C-bills even on a loss though.

Edited by LaserAngel, 14 December 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#32 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Lasers are in style again because of two big factors:

1) Light Mechs everywhere

2) Light Mechs with ECM everywhere

Lasers are the most effective weapon against them. Lasers are also still effective against other mech classes. So, people are going to load up on the weapon(s) that are versatile. In the case of us assault pilots, we already feel very vulnerable to light, fast mechs. No, they are not unstoppable; but unless the light is a moron, you're not racking up raven kills with an AC/10 either. The player base, as a whole, are also racking up experience (and not in game XP numbers, either). So, they there are more guys that have the skills to use the extra range of the LL and keep the beam(s) on target against fast mechs.

With the Stalker coming out next Tuesday, I suspect we will be seeing even more Large Lasers on the field. I'm not terribly upset by this prospect. IMHO, the Large Laser should be a work-horse, stapple of a weapon for mechs. It's always been the "Standard Issue" of the BT universe. The main battle rifle equivalent along side with the AC/5.

#33 El Death Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

and the upcoming stalker will be able to do this on all of the announced varriants, and whiel some are complaing about the high arms, i wont, because now the Stalker can creep up over hills and get just the cockpit and the laser ports over the hill to fire the lasers , unlike the Awesome, and the Atlas, as well as 1/2 of the Cataphract and Catapult's laser hardpoints.

currently i like the Catapult and Cataphrct for it the best. having the speed to take cover and cool off quickly and then get back in is key. i'd argue atleast 60kph is wise for this build.

Edited by El Death Smurf, 14 December 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#34 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Another vote for the DRG-1C here.

If I'm going to run a LL boat, its going to be this. I can fit an XL300, 4LL, 19 DHS, and max armor on it. No crit spaces left, so even if I increased the tonnage to a heavier mech with 4 LL, I'd have no crit spots unless I drop to a STD engine, STD structure, or just increase the engine size. All of these things will increase the weight without increasing the firepower, and likely make the mech slower (it would weigh more). No thanks... DRG-1C is the perfect LL boat.

#35 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

I also back the Dragon 1C. The 2 arm mounted for great flexibility (I've killed a number of players from Hugh vantage points where they couldn't aim up to counter attack). The two shoulder mounted are very high and relatively centered so if you can see your target you can hit it without worrying about hitting the corner of a building or the top of a hill. The quick speed is excellent for positioning so you can bring the 4 LLs to bear at body part stripped of armor.

It's a mech that works best at mid ranges, the speed allows you to make a wide circle to maintain range and circle behind for the kill shot or to charge straigh through the middle for the kill shot but be able to escape.

I recommend a 60:40 front to back armor ratio as you will spend a decent amonnt of time running away from the main battle to maintain optimal firing distance.

This is assuming 300xl, endo, AMS and maxed DHS (droppingsome leg armor to make it all fit)

#36 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Despite claims to the contrary, I'm not sure that any hunchback can run 4LLAS and manage the heat *well*. There's just not enough tonnage for heatsinks after 20 tons of laser.

#37 Sky walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Anything below Assault filled with DHS will have a lot of trouble with keeping heat down with 4 LL, yet again trying to Alpha-Strike them.
4LL simply generate enormous amount of heat.
Nothing will change that.
IMHO much better is 3 LL setup. Generates by far more DPS on most Mechs then 4LL. Especially if you mix it with missiles (eg. 3LL + stack of SRMs)

#38 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

3LL makes more sense, yes. I've run a hunchback with 2LL+1PPC before, which a PPC has similar damage/heat stats to a LL. It was pretty manageable.

I don't own any heavy or assault mechs capable of mounting 4LL, but I assume a larger engine with heat sink slots to fill would really help out the DHS users.

#39 ThrowerOfShoes

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMitton

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

To do it well? Depends on what you want.
I would go with either the awesome 8q or 8t or the Atlas rs
any one of them will provide you with the ability to fire your lasers multiple times without overheating.
However i would have to say the RS would be the best choice. Using it will allow you to equip Ballistics, or missiles.
The 8q will enable you to aim with the torso instead of the arms which might make for steadier long range shots though.
The 8t will enable you to use missiles with your lasers, but you will be aiming with the arms.

#40 ThePieMaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 155 posts
  • LocationNew Canton, Griffin Base

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Awesome 9M biggest XL engine you can get
4x Large Lasers.
Max out them double heatsinks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users