4X Large Lasers. What Mech Can Do It Well?

50 replies to this topic

#41 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostThePieMaker, on 15 December 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Awesome 9M biggest XL engine you can get
4x Large Lasers.
Max out them double heatsinks!
I've found myself quite happy with 4 LL with 21 DHS in my Awesome 9M. The 3 torso LL are the main battery and the arm's laser is backup. If I get to hot I can fallback using only the arm's laser. I could run a build with the XL 370 instead and get 4 LL, 1 ML with the arm laser plus head ML as the fallback while cooling.

#42 jazger

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

i built a CTF-1X quad Large laser..

DHS upgrade

XL 300 Engine.
(+10 heatsinks spread all over..)
BAP

4 Large Lasers
1 AMS
1 tons of ammo.
1 TAG in RA.

Speed - 69.4
Firepower - 36
Heat - 1.27
Armor - 432

Basicly with max Armor Weapons and every double heat sink i can stuff into it. it comes in at 66 Tons. So, as it has a few slots left, I tossed in BAP and the AMS w/ 1 tons of ammo. and TAG were just to round it out..

Long as i Cycle fire my Large lasers, heat stays reasonable, can get off an alpha once and awhile.. Someone with better skills could likely drive it better and do more damage/kills, but i think its fun. :blush:

#43 Aesaar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

Wait until Tuesday, build Stalkernova. 6xLL, and as many heat sinks as will fit.

Overheat after one or two shots, but if you're accurate and/or lucky, that's all you'll need.

Edited by Aesaar, 16 December 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#44 Shadowsword8

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

View Postneviu, on 13 December 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

Beat me to it,

Atlas rs is great for it

Yes and no.

The issue with the RS is that the lasers are significantly under the cockpit, and to the sides. That means:

- If you fight at a hill crest, you'll often hit the ground, unless you expose your whole upper body, and you make a huge target.

- If you fight with your shoulder against a building (happen quite often in urban fights), Half your firepower will end up inside it.

- You are prone to friendly fire, as your beams are wide appart.

If short, you have have accuracy with 100% of your firepower on very mobile arms, but you pay for it with having a huge "please shoot me back!" painted on your front.

That's why I can't wait for the stalker, with it's lasers close to the cockpit and most of them above it,

Edited by Shadowsword8, 16 December 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#45 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

View Postjazger, on 15 December 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

i built a CTF-1X quad Large laser..

DHS upgrade

XL 300 Engine.
(+10 heatsinks spread all over..)
BAP

4 Large Lasers
1 AMS
1 tons of ammo.
1 TAG in RA.

Speed - 69.4
Firepower - 36
Heat - 1.27
Armor - 432

Basicly with max Armor Weapons and every double heat sink i can stuff into it. it comes in at 66 Tons. So, as it has a few slots left, I tossed in BAP and the AMS w/ 1 tons of ammo. and TAG were just to round it out..

Long as i Cycle fire my Large lasers, heat stays reasonable, can get off an alpha once and awhile.. Someone with better skills could likely drive it better and do more damage/kills, but i think its fun. B)

Yep, same here. My only difference is I put in ML for TAG. No upgrades except DHS, you need the slots for heatsinks. I tried many combinations of lasers and gauss/ACs, but eventually settled on this build for my 1X. It works pretty good, not a lot of outright damage but I usually get a couple of kills, lots of assists, and make extra money due to BAP getting spotting assists. I also have sensor range pilot module equipped, so can get locks over 1000m or so. Having AMS is pretty nice also, though not really necessary. Heat isn't much of an issue unless I get greedy.

I also have a Dragon 1C equipped with 4 LL, and while it's a fun build, it plays a lot different than the Phract since it's much faster (101 kph). With the slower Phract I do more hiding, sniping, and aiming for head shots. The Dragon I use a hit-n-run tactic, always on the move but I'm not quite as pin-point accurate because of.

#46 Palutena

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

If you only want 4 large lasers the Atlas RS probably does it the best since its lasers are in the arms for easy aiming and with a 350+ standard engine you can mount 24 double heat sinks.

3 large lasers with some more heat friendly weapon is probably better overall like Awesome with 3 large lasers and srm 4s, cataphract with 3 large lasers, gaus rifle and jump jets etc.

Edited by Palutena, 16 December 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#47 Arete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

I actually run my CTF-1X with 5 LLs. 3xLLs in the arms, and two ER-LLs in the torso. Coupled with an XL325 engine it works quite well.

I usually use the ERs to snipe at long range to soften the targets, moving in and out of cover between the shots. Then the three LLs can be fired almost continously at close range, and as soon as I have the heat for it I add in one of the ERs for extra damage. Heat can be controlled by going chainfire on the LLs when over 85% heat.

You do need to cool down at times, but I've found this build to work quite well. Think I average about 400 dmg per match, with peaks of 800-1000.

Edited by Arete, 17 December 2012 - 02:15 AM.

#48 Slanski

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBavaria

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

People overestimate the usefulness of 4 Large Lasers. At any range under 300, a set of MLasers will deliver the damage just as well at better efficiency. The Awesome 8Q with 21 DHS and 3 Large Lasers, 4 Medium Lasers will be the better boat in 90% of cases.

But an Awesome 9M with 300STD, 3 Large Lasers and 3 SRM4 completely blows it out of the water. The heat efficiency and DPS are insane.

#49 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

which stalker version would be suited to be exclusive laser boat? the 4N?
I plan to put 4 large laser and 2 mid lasers, and rest DHS. Will it need an XL engine?
Thanks for providing insight

#50 buckX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationShut down on a heat vent

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

View PostKommisar, on 14 December 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

I'm rather upset to see more and more guys flocking to the Large Laser set ups on a lot of these mechs. I liked it better, after the LL buff, that people still thought they were crap.
I still stand by the Large Laser being the best overall weapon in game right now. At least for me. I'm looking forward to my Stalker and seeing what I can do with it.

For all that, I do not think it's overpowered. We simply cut missiles weapons out of the game this patch. Because you don't have to worry about indirect fire long range weapons, people are free to load up on direct fire and stand in the middle of a field. At that point, they'll just flock to the best direct fire support weapons. ERLL, PPC, and ERPPC are all poor choices, so LL is the energy choice. You also see plenty of ballistics on all those Cataphracts.

That said, I think there is a place for ERLL. The K2 has 4 energy mounts, but they're split 2/2 between arms and torso, which is suboptimal for aiming. I enjoyed taking a pair of ERLL on the torso, and a pair of LL on the arms. You have that big alpha when you really need it, but your heat sinks aren't being useless when the enemy is beyond 800m.

That said, I actually prefer dropping to 3LL. My CPLT-C1 can take 3LL and 2 SSRM2s, take the 315XL, an AMS, and have 18DHS. The cooling isn't the greatest in the world, but you can fire pretty consistently, your lasers are all on one control group, and you get a JJ, which is nice for popping over ridges for unopposed fire. Most importantly, it isn't an assault, so you can breathe freely knowing that you haven't given the enemy an ECM. If you really want more cooling, you can drop the AMS, Streaks, and Endosteel to pick up 4 extra heat sinks, leaving you at 22. That's actually so cool, you could consider actually taking ERLLs, and really staying at a safe distance.

#51 Alexanderwolf

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I prefer my AWS-9M 4LL and 1SRM6, I can get two Alpha strikes off with the LL's and then have to start to cycle to cool down, I also upgraded the engine but I can not remember to which one. I do run with the DH's and endo. If this game would finish patching I could give extact stats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users