Stalker: Do We Need Another Missle Boat?

120 replies to this topic

#21 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

Yay.. more missle boat in the game.. looks like I will get one too and mount 4 LRM 20s on it.. and join the other missle boats.. then let see how fun team matchs going to be in the future.

#22 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

View Postbensphynx, on 14 December 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

If they make the STK-3Fb for us, then we have another ECM platform to play with.

All that takes is allowing the Stalker-3F to have ECM really.

#23 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

I was never a fan of the Stalker in TT, but I think I may just like the mwo version. Beside who doesnt like a personal massage device with legs?

#24 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

View PostNayru, on 14 December 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

Yes, we do kind of need a better missile assault than the awesome/D-DC, even if it will replace said awesome.

And unseen, people, longbow will never be in-game.

The Reseen art for the Longbow is perfectly acceptable as is the MW:DA Longbow.

#25 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

To my mind, the Archer is much more of an iconic fire-support 'mech than the Longbow ever was. Hell, even the Crusader is.

But then again, I'm a TRO 3025 kind of guy, and those are also Unseen. Stalker it is then.

#26 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

December is around and I was giddy up for the Highlander.. something exciting and then BAM! A Stalker... STALKER!

We already got the Catapult making its name as a missle boat, and then the Trenchbucket soon.. and then this???

We got Medium, heavy and now Assault Missle Boat? And with ECM running rampant in team games.. it is crazy to get this mech.

I am sorely..well.. I was hoping for a Highlander.. there is already too many missle boat out there to ruin a fun team match.

At least an Assault mech which can mount two balistic points in both Torso and one in the arms.

A Davastator or Mauler would be fun, even an Annihilator or new Atlas variant.. which meet the criteria above.

And please give us what we want... otherwise there will be moaning about the fun being less balance and etc.

Stalker.. pity it is not a Banshee.. <sigh>

I personally really want to get me a Stalker, and seriously if you're going to complain about the Stalker then you'd better start complaining about the Atlas D-DC and the Awesome 8R.
Also we're getting the Highlander eventually, it's scheduled for sometime next summer I believe, ( I don't know which month exactly ) so stop complaining and go kill some mechs instead.

#27 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 December 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

I'm Lyran and i don't want a Banshee. Banshee's were good brawler mechs. Now gimme a Zeus, THAT is a Lyran Scouting Mech!!!

If you are Lyran, you should go for Thunderhawk, Fafnir or Hauptman. i know they are later Assault mechs.. and they are Assault mechs I respect.

My personal favourite, if it is a mech to meet the time line is the Pillager, varient PLG-1N

#28 Lanessar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

Not sure how someone can call the STK another missile boat. It's a versatile platform which can mount up to 6 energy weapons, and up to 6 missile weapons. Variants change this from 4/6 to 6/4, but the bottom line is, you can make pretty much anything out of it save for a ballistics platform (which already exists in a number of assaults, heavies, and even a couple of lights).

So, do we really need another ballistics boat?

#29 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

View Post***** n stuff, on 14 December 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Also we're getting the Highlander eventually, it's scheduled for sometime next summer I believe, ( I don't know which month exactly ) so stop complaining and go kill some mechs instead.

The Highlander doesn't have an official release date yet, but it's guesstimated to May '13 based on the announcement order and a one-mech-a-month pace.

However, they've already bumped the Spider from 15 to 13 so who knows. Keep an eye on this thread, where I try to keep abreast with any new information that comes along regarding 'mechs and dates.

#30 Nonsense

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

Mechs are not boats until players make them boats. The Stalker does NOT have to be configured as a missile-only weapons platform. Don't be silly.

You can make a balanced build. Currently, I have a Cataphract variant with an LRM15, LRM20, and 3 LLs. It's pretty good at dumping out a ton of missiles, but it's also not useless vs. light mechs, nor is it useless once its ammo runs out. I could easily see some stalker builds with tag and a single low-ammo LRM launcher, and a couple of LLs for extra long range skirmishing ability, then SRMs and other energy weapons for up close.

IMO it mostly depends just how maneuverable the thing is. If it's a giant slow piece of crap even with a big engine...and if its torso twist range is on the small side, it's going to be very different than if it has more like the catapult's torso twist range.

#31 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

View Post***** n stuff, on 14 December 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

I personally really want to get me a Stalker, and seriously if you're going to complain about the Stalker then you'd better start complaining about the Atlas D-DC and the Awesome 8R.

What make you think that I wasn't killing mechs? I want worthy opponents i can face with my ac20s.. not helpless Missleboats I had killed at close range.

Edited by William Conrad, 14 December 2012 - 04:44 AM.

#32 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

View PostLanessar, on 14 December 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

Not sure how someone can call the STK another missile boat. It's a versatile platform which can mount up to 6 energy weapons, and up to 6 missile weapons. Variants change this from 4/6 to 6/4, but the bottom line is, you can make pretty much anything out of it save for a ballistics platform (which already exists in a number of assaults, heavies, and even a couple of lights).

So, do we really need another ballistics boat?

one day when Solaris matches comes around, they rule the battlefeild and also they run a lot cooler..

#33 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

What make you think that I wasn't killing mechs? I want worthy opponents i can face with my ac20s.. not helpless Missleboats I had killed at close range.

Well teach them why it's a bad idea to go into a fight with all LRMs and no defensive weapons ( the fun way ) and maybe you'll start to see less of them.

#34 Lanessar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

one day when Solaris matches comes around, they rule the battlefeild and also they run a lot cooler..

The devs are already running heat on Solaris rules, per one of the moderators.

Guess that's why the Gauss, AC/2 and UAC/5 are pretty popular...

#35 Haxburch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 206 posts
  • LocationGermany / Düsseldorf

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Its a new Mech and we need MECHS alot , because the game gets old fast without content , mechs , maps , modes ....

Missels are not the I win button anymore , in fact missel boats need tag , narc and support mechs to be the killers of the last days .

Edited by Haxburch, 14 December 2012 - 04:55 AM.

#36 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

Don't forget the heat it generates.. a mech can only mount so many heat sinks.. like perhaps 15 to 16 double at most.. in the hell hole map.. you will be dead from heat explosions if the enemy don't kill you when you are shut down from over heating. The 5s varient is a oven from Sarna.net

He'll of a concept, but stop mapping everything to weapon group 1 and you might, MIGHT, just live.

Heat management isn't about repeated alpha strikes.

The Stalker is the kind of mech that carries different weapon groups for different engagement ranges, and can manage the heat for one group at a time.

A nice shot lined up between 180 and 270 meters might lead to some parboiling of the pilot, but that is working as intended.

I think the Stalker will be all sorts of fun, but also likely to suffer from over large CT hit box syndrome.

#37 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

How different is that to a Catapult..to one of the missle boat varient? By the differences of a few more lasers? Come on.. a Catapult can do the same job if you mount an XL engine!

The difference is about 20 tons. More armor, heavier guns.

We need more mech with balistic mounts. Like the Annihilator, there was a Clan varient which mount five Gauss rifles on it.

An assault ballistic platform would be nice, too. But I could just as well argue - what do we need that for, we have the Hunchback and the Cataphract!

#38 Urza Mechwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBrazil, Santa Catarina

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

Just you try piloting this mech when you got ECM mechs on the other team.. you are dead... if the enemy mech reaches you if you are not swamp by the heat already.

Wanna bet? You realzie stalker is also the mech with largest number of NON missile hardpoints?

And you can use SRM on the missile ones? And that LRM are NOT useles agaisnt ECM on a prepared team with smart players?

#39 Congzilla

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

You realize that 6 med pulse lasers and 4 SRM6 are going to shred things up in the trenches right? You seriously seem very short sighted about the possibilities with this mech.

#40 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

View PostUrza Mechwalker, on 14 December 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

Wanna bet? You realzie stalker is also the mech with largest number of NON missile hardpoints?

*cough* Hunchback 4P *cough*

Not helping, sorry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users